Macbook Pro Flexgate discussion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SourceSunTom, Dec 11, 2018.

?

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. No

48 vote(s)
    72.7%
  1. SourceSunTom macrumors 6502

SourceSunTom

My 2016 macbook pro with Touch Bar that i owned since it was release, started a its "flexgate" issue a week ago. Flexgate appears to be an issue caused by very fragile lcd flex cables. The LCD itself is fine, i never dented it or forced on the screen while opening it or anything...

Problem is, apple currently isn't acknowledging this issue which seems to spread a little more everyday. Apple is currently charging 600$ for a fix right now, which is insane for a design issue. I hope this gets more attention somehow....

The white stage light effect at the bottom of the screen below caused by flexgate isn't due to the photo, it's like that (maybe worse) irl

IMG_1174.JPG IMG_1214.PNG

Here is a website someone made about flexgate if you want to learn more... https://flexgate.me

2. Premal212 macrumors regular

Premal212

Interesting, my 2016 MBP hasn't shown signs of this yet? Op could you create a poll for this? Gives us a better idea of how wide this problem is?

3. SourceSunTom thread starter macrumors 6502

SourceSunTom

My MBP didn't show any signs of flexgate before it actually got the stage light effect... And that's only stage 1 as others reporting black screens depending on how wide angle the screen is opened.

The problem isn't that wide, tho, but people are definitely having this issue...
    https://twitter.com/philipyoungg/status/1072587009062039553
    https://twitter.com/LukePower/status/1060518179590402048
    I'll open a pole yeah, but i don't think it's necessary as most people don't have this issue yet

4. Premal212 macrumors regular

Premal212

Yeah, without a doubt, but it's always nice to see a poll on MacRumours lol

5. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

Sorry you’re experiencing this. Makes me glad I bit the bullet and got AppleCare+ on my MBP.

6. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

That sucks this happened. I remember I had an iPhone 4s with a similar problem (spotlights on the bottom) and it really bothered me. I haven't had any such issues yet on my nTB 2016 MBP (no keyboard issues either). Luckily I have AppleCare (bought it before AppleCare+ was an option) for one more year and the keyboard repair for another after that. Hope you can get your issue resolved!

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

A defect like this should not even require the device be under warranty.

8. SourceSunTom thread starter macrumors 6502

SourceSunTom

I hope they recall the defective machines, but this issue needs more attention for this to even happen...

I got no apple care unfortunately, if it wasn't for this design issue i wouldn't need it :/

9. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502a

poor quality components and Apple charging $600 for repair, total scam
    this is true "premium product" :eek:

10. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

this happened to my 2016 nTB, shame cause the panel was beautiful

replacement panel is good enough but what a crappy flaw! Apple quality and engineering is dubious

11. retta283 macrumors regular

retta283

Apple needs to start a recall or a replacement program if this continues. Charging up to half the price of the computer to fix this is an absolute ripoff.

12. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

its ridiculous they refuse to replace the cable and need to replace the whole top display

it could theoretically be such a cheap repair fix if not for it being 'apple's way'

13. synergize macrumors regular

Are those lights permanently on, or just for the holidays?

14. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

It’s apple gift to us for their flawless design

15. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Did you really call Apple or you have being in touch with authorized service providers (AASPs)? The latter will always charge you with the full price. It's up to you calling Apple and telling your story, asking for a free replacement. I think this defect should be eligible for fixing as "under warranty". Never trust on AASP budget.

16. SourceSunTom thread starter macrumors 6502

SourceSunTom

Yeah i called their support, they’re only offering a full 600$ replacement as for now

17. Airboy1466 macrumors 6502

Airboy1466

That’s just terrible customer service as you have no signs of abuse to the machine at all

18. mdnz macrumors 6502

You're from France, you have better customer protection rights than that. Keep pushing them until they give you a free repair, they're required to. Ridiculous that it's even needed.

19. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

This issue will probably occur after your AppleCare+ is expired :(.

The solution isn't to be covered for three years but instead to have Apple build a reliable computer.

20. SourceSunTom thread starter macrumors 6502

SourceSunTom

When i called they told me i’d better wait and see if they ever do recall for defective laptops, should i wait or insist like you’re saying ?

21. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

whats crazy about this issue is it just happened one day all of a sudden

there is no phase where it slowly gets worse or anything

goes from working perfect to spotlighting

22. mdnz macrumors 6502

Insist, you have at least a 2 year warranty in the EU, in some cases you can push it to 3 years.
    See here: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm (Expand section Faulty Goods)

Don't wait because it might push you out of the EU warranty period.

23. SourceSunTom, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018

SourceSunTom thread starter macrumors 6502

SourceSunTom

Good news, apple’s warranty is based off the day they ship the item (the guy on the phone told me this at first), however i insisted the EU waranty says it is when you receive your stuff :)... So because of that, my call at apple wasn’t 3 days after the warranty but 1 day before it expires, so they have proof i called about my problem before the warranty ended, so i should hopefully get my item fixed, i didn’t have my service number thing for that call so they told me to call back tomorrow with it!
    Let’s hope they start recalling devices with that problem, because i’m not the only one with this issue and i was nearly 3 days late to use my warranty...

24. 8SlaiN8 macrumors member

8SlaiN8

lol
    last second save!

25. jerryk macrumors 601

That is how electronics fail. Perfect until they fail.