Macbook Pro gets hot on Bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nwbryslm, Jun 9, 2017.

1. nwbryslm macrumors newbie

nwbryslm

I have a MacBook Pro (Late 2013), Iris Pro Graphics, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 processor.
    I need some help.
    I'm no computer whiz, but I've noticed that my MacBook gets hotter when I'm using my Windows 10 partition and I'm not even doing any heavy duty stuff.
    I planned on installing and running some games on Low Quality settings, but I'm afraid to do it cause I fear my computer will overheat. I read some threads that said that the fan doesn't work the same way on Bootcamp as it does on OSX. Does anyone know how to fix it? Is there a way to raise the minimum fan speed so that it doesn't feel as hot all the time? Any help is much appreciated :)

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

It's because macOS is an optimised system for the computer, whereas Windows isn't. So Windows isn't taking full advantage of the hardware.

The computer won't overheat and won't cause it any issues (They need to get very hot before any damage would occur, at the computer will automatically turn off well before that or you would notice it burning a hole on your lap).

3. Ries macrumors 68000

If it's the 15" with dGPU, its because boot camp always runs on the dGPU.

4. nwbryslm, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017

nwbryslm thread starter macrumors newbie

nwbryslm

Nope, 13 inch
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2017 ---
    That's good to hear. I investigated a little a bit apparently Windows uses the fans differently, setting the minimum RPM lower than the standard 2000 RPM on OSX.
    Thanks for the help! :) Anything you'd like to recommend or should I just ignore it?

5. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

If you install smcfancontrol, you can set the fan speed on macOS and it will retain that fan setting upon booting into Windows. For gaming I’d just go ahead and set it to the maximum setting.

6. nwbryslm thread starter macrumors newbie

nwbryslm

There's a Windows version that lets you set an RPM directly on Windows. I'm tempted to set it to the max speed but wouldn't it be worse if I have the fan running on a high speed for a long time? Say, 3 hours. Sorry if my questions are dumb but I'm unexperienced and paranoid, heh.

7. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I doubt there's any serious risk unless we're talking near 24/7 lengths of time. I never had an issue with this on my previous 2 MBP's.

8. nwbryslm thread starter macrumors newbie

nwbryslm

I'll give it a shot then. Thanks so much man!