Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LetteIT

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
Hello, everyone! Could you please share best practices of charging your Macbook that you know and follow? I want to extend the life span of my comparatively new Macbook Pro’s battery as much as possible.

Here are my charging practices:
  • I put my Macbook on charge when it has +/- 20% of battery and then it charges until 100%.
  • I have Low Power Mode always turned on.
  • I haven’t tried to plug in any external monitor yet.
  • I often continue working on my Macbook when the power adapter is plugged in.
I have MacBook Pro M1 Pro and its battery Maximum Capacity right now is 98%.

I’ve read that once you reach 1000 recharge cycles, you should replace Macbook battery. That’s what I'm concerned about. So, how can I *save* those cycles?

• Is it the right thing to always have Low Power Mode turned on?
  • Maybe I shouldn’t charge my Macbook until 100% and stop when it’s around 80% or 90% as with the iPhone (you can come across this advice)?
  • OR maybe I should work with the power adapter plugged in when possible or with some periodicity?
  • Is it the right thing to do at all to work on MacBook while charging?
As you can see, I have many questions, even though I’ve tried to find some advice across the internet myself. I’ve read somewhere the advice to work for +1 hour with the power adapter plugged in after 100% (didn’t quite understand, why). Also, I know that many people work on their Macbooks with external monitors plugged in majority of the time. It means that their Macbooks are charging all that time? Is it ok for the battery?

Please, share your thoughts and tips on this! How do you charge your Macbook? What best charging practices you know?

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
As you can see, I have many questions, even though I’ve tried to find some advice across the internet myself. I’ve read somewhere the advice to work for +1 hour with the power adapter plugged in after 100% (didn’t quite understand, why). Also, I know that many people work on their Macbooks with external monitors plugged in majority of the time. It means that their Macbooks are charging all that time? Is it ok for the battery?
This is because this allows the battery calibration circuitry to more accurately determine it's current capacity (the battery can take some time to reach a "relaxed state" at which the BOM does some measurements, so letting it rest for an hour or two after a full charge/discharge helps facilitate this).

It's not really necessary to do this to be honest. It's a good idea every once in a while, but you definitely don't need to do this every time you charge.

Reactions: LetteIT

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Avoid charging to 100%. Li-ion batteries do not like extreme states of charge, whether that's low or high. If you are using the battery, try to keep the charge between 20-80%.

If you are not using battery and plugged in for a long time, Mac will obviously charge to 100%. But after a few days or a week, it will automatically put charging on hold and reduce maximum charge to 70-80% and keep it there. This is best if you want to keep the battery healthy.

Low power mode reduces power consumption and should reduce cycle count in the long run. But that's really onerous on the user, so I would recommend against it.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Hello, everyone! Could you please share best practices of charging your Macbook that you know and follow? I want to extend the life span of my comparatively new Macbook Pro’s battery as much as possible.

Here are my charging practices:
  • I put my Macbook on charge when it has +/- 20% of battery and then it charges until 100%.
  • I have Low Power Mode always turned on.
  • I haven’t tried to plug in any external monitor yet.
  • I often continue working on my Macbook when the power adapter is plugged in.
I have MacBook Pro M1 Pro and its battery Maximum Capacity right now is 98%.

I’ve read that once you reach 1000 recharge cycles, you should replace Macbook battery. That’s what I'm concerned about. So, how can I *save* those cycles?

• Is it the right thing to always have Low Power Mode turned on?
  • Maybe I shouldn’t charge my Macbook until 100% and stop when it’s around 80% or 90% as with the iPhone (you can come across this advice)?
  • OR maybe I should work with the power adapter plugged in when possible or with some periodicity?
  • Is it the right thing to do at all to work on MacBook while charging?
I have no idea where this notion of replacing the battery after 1000 cycles comes from. The common guidance is to replace the battery when its max capacity drops below 80%. That is completely independent of the cycle count of the battery.

As far as the 100% charge is concerned, the issue isn't charging the laptop to 100% in and of itself. Rather, the issues *might* occur in scenarios where the system is charged to 100% and left on the charger for an extended period of time without being used. In my case, I usually am using my laptop while charging, and I disconnect the charger once I hit 100%. It's not charging to 100% that's an issue as much as "overcharging" once it's hit max.

When using an external monitor and/or external drives, I would recommend keeping the machine plugged in where possible. I have noticed with multiple Macs over the years (going all the way back to the 2015 MBP) that connecting external monitors often results in a significant decrease in battery life, primarily because the GPU is working harder to drive that display. Working on a MacBook (or any laptop) while charging is no different than working on a desktop computer (which is always plugged into power).

I tend to use Low Power Mode (only when on battery) when I know I'm going to be mobile for an extended amount of time, and I need as much battery life as possible. In situations where I need the max performance (editing videos, some coding and/or rendering operations), I turn it off. When plugged into the AC adapter, I always have it turned off.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
I know that many people work on their Macbooks with external monitors plugged in majority of the time. It means that their Macbooks are charging all that time? Is it ok for the battery?
No, it means that their MacBooks consume power directly from the wall, just like a desktop computer, TV or a washing machine. Charging of a lithium battery is a delicate process that's managed all the time by specialized circuitry in the battery — if you tried charging such battery above 100 %, it could burn your house down. So no, aside from mechanical damage, there's very little a user can do to seriously harm a battery. You shouldn't leave it at 100 % all the time (like for weeks), that can make some batteries swell, and you shouldn't leave it at 0 %. Anything else that's unusual (using the computer plugged in a lot, high or low temperatures, fast draining) can make the battery deteriorate a bit faster, but it doesn't really matter, it's going to age and lose capacity no matter what you do.

Just don't do weird stuff to your MacBook. Don't use it on battery on purpose when you're near an outlet. Don't drain it to 0 % every day, don't use it as a desktop for six months straight.

Anything you'd to a phone or an electric toothbrush, you can do to your MacBook just fine. Leave it plugged in overnight, doesn't matter. Drain it to 5 % every few days, doesn't matter. Drain it to 30 % every day, doesn't matter.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I think this might be an example of the https://xyproblem.info/?

There is not much you can do as the user to reduce the number of charge cycles or prolong the battery life with these intelligent batteries, except maybe for using your computer less. For an average user the battery will easily last three years before a replacement becomes a consideration, and closer to four or even five years before it becomes necessary. You will probably save yourself a considerable amount of stress by just letting it go and using the computer the way it’s supposed to be used.

Reactions: LetteIT and meson

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
I think this might be an example of the https://xyproblem.info/?

There is not much you can do as the user to reduce the number of charge cycles or prolong the battery life with these intelligent batteries, except maybe for using your computer less. For an average user the battery will easily last three years before a replacement becomes a consideration, and closer to four or even five years before it becomes necessary. You will probably save yourself a considerable amount of stress by just letting it go and using the computer the way it’s supposed to be used.
The way I look at it, I am very likely going to have to replace the battery at least once during the computer's lifespan. I just prepare to spend the $200 when it's time. I try not to be intentionally negligent (I do use Aldente when I'm docked at a desk), but whether I make it three years or five years until that point doesn't make a terribly huge difference to me.

LetteIT

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
Thank you to everyone, who responded!

Avoid charging to 100%. Li-ion batteries do not like extreme states of charge, whether that's low or high. If you are using the battery, try to keep the charge between 20-80%.
So, it means that I should be constantly checking my Macbook charge myself… Now that could be pretty onerous… It’s so convenient to just be able to leave my Macbook closed and check if the green light on the power adapter showed up…

I have no idea where this notion of replacing the battery after 1000 cycles comes from. The common guidance is to replace the battery when its max capacity drops below 80%. That is completely independent of the cycle count of the battery.
Actually, Apple mentioned 1000 cycle principle in their documentations. You can search for Apple -> Battery Service and Recycling -> MacBook Owners. They also published a table, where you can determine Maximum Cycle Count for every Mac laptop.

Just don't do weird stuff to your MacBook. Don't use it on battery on purpose when you're near an outlet. Don't drain it to 0 % every day, don't use it as a desktop for six months straight.
So, you suggest that, if I’m near an outlet (which is for the majority of time), that it’s better to work with power adapter plugged in? Or only if I’m lower than 80%? I work with power adapter plugged in only if I need to charge my Macbook (If it's at +/- 20%). Other than that, I work using battery.

You will probably save yourself a considerable amount of stress by just letting it go and using the computer the way it’s supposed to be used.
Ok, so it remains to understand the right way my Macbook is supposed to be used.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Actually, Apple mentioned 1000 cycle principle in their documentations. You can search for Apple -> Battery Service and Recycling -> MacBook Owners. They also published a table, where you can determine Maximum Cycle Count for every Mac laptop.
That's the general rule of thumb (it's the figure Apple themselves gives in their own guidance), but sometimes the battery longevity can even exceed this. I have a 2012 MacBook with over 1,800 cycles on the original battery, and it's battery health is still in perfectly good condition on the original battery.

It just depends. Some batteries don't even make it to 1,000, others manage to far outlast it.

LetteIT

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
That's the general rule of thumb (it's the figure Apple themselves gives in their own guidance), but sometimes the battery longevity can even exceed this. I have a 2012 MacBook with over 1,800 cycles on the original battery, and it's battery health is still in perfectly good condition on the original battery.

It just depends. Some batteries don't even make it to 1,000, others manage to far outlast it.
Ok, fair enough. And what's your battery maximum capacity in % with 1,800 cycles?

Reactions: ArkSingularity

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Ok, so it remains to understand the right way my Macbook is supposed to be used.

You charge it when it needs to be charged and you use the battery when you need the battery. That’s pretty much it. Just try not to get it to zero too often and you’ll be fine.

LetteIT

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
You charge it when it needs to be charged and you use the battery when you need the battery. That’s pretty much it. Just try not to get it to zero too often and you’ll be fine.
So, as I’ve asked earlier, is it better to work with power adapter plugged in if I’m near an outlet (which is for the majority of time)? If so, then how should I operate with battery percentage? Should I disconnect the adapter, when Macbook reaches 80%+? Or it will make no difference to the battery anyway and I should continue working from battery as I did before?

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
So, as I’ve asked earlier, is it better to work with power adapter plugged in if I’m near an outlet (which is for the majority of time)? If so, then how should I operate with battery percentage? Should I disconnect the adapter, when Macbook reaches 80%+? Or it will make no difference to the battery anyway and I should continue working from battery as I did before?

Because battery charging technology is "intelligent" now, it really doesn't matter if you left it connected or disconnected from the adapter. Both Apple's MagSafe and USB-C power delivery will actually step down the input voltage when the battery is at 100% to prevent overcharging. In the case of heavy workloads, the adapters will adjust as needed to keep pace with the power draw from the battery.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden

I wrote before about Aldente which is free and very popular. I have my MBP plugged in and set the charging to 80% and the battery isn't used or charged over 80%. Very simple and I don't have to think about it anymore. You have to have Aldente as startup item so it must run in the background but since you didn't react to my previous comment you don't seem to be interested in this solution.

Last edited:

slythfox

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
Just another datapoint:

My 14 M1 Pro was at 92% after just 12 cycles just a couple months. I've had it for about a year now and it's currently 36 cycles at 84%. When it hit 92% I changed a lot of my practices to what is described here and it seemed to have made little impact on its battery degradation.

One thing I speculate is that when you turn it off the firmware can't regulates power input as well as the software

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
Per @Homy - AlDente all the way. I keep my MacBook Pro set to 65%, let it drift to 60%, top off to 100% when I am going out for an extended period of time, and then just let it do it's thing. You should read on their web site; there is more to it than just what percentage you do or don't charge to if you really want ideal battery optimization without fuss.

Reactions: izzy0242mr and Homy

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My charging routine (2021 MacBook Pro 14" bought in Feb of 2022):

1. Use it until charge drops to about 45%.
2. Plug in the charging cable, charge back to 100%
3. Remove charging cable.

That's it. Nothing follows.

The battery has now been in use for 18 months, and is still around 96% of original capacity. That's excellent.

Also... I don't care how good the "software solutions" (to prevent over-charging) are supposed to be, I would recommend NOT leaving the charger plugged in and running all the time, or even "most" of the time. Typically, I consider this to be the prime cause of swollen batteries "down the line".

My opinion only.
Others will disagree.
Some will disagree vehemently.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
I would recommend NOT leaving the charger plugged in and running all the time, or even "most" of the time. Typically, I consider this to be the prime cause of swollen batteries "down the line".

Objectively, there is no evidence of this occurring with AlDente or another reputable software product that I have ever seen, happy to stand corrected. But, it's easy to verify charging state, battery temps, etc. are as communicated. I have used AlDente for years and it's a major benefit to longer battery life, full charge capacity, # of cycles used, and battery temp.

I have AlDente set to 65% charge, and it won't start to charge until it gets to 60%, preventing a lot of "on-off-on-off". My MacBook Pro is a year old, I use it pretty consistently every day for probably 12 hours a day, 95% of the time it's plugged in. Here is what coconut app reports right now (charged to 63%):

Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 1.28.26 PM.png

Reactions: Homy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.