Macbook Pro Overheated...melted my keyboard...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djkirsten, Jan 14, 2009.

1. djkirsten macrumors regular

So bare with me as the following keys aren't 100% working on my keyboard:

q a z <caps lock> <shift> <control> <fn>

Today as my executive producer, producer and i sat down for a viewing i made sure to put my laptop away. I closed the lid and put the macbook pro to the side. We wtched, critiqued and chatted for about 40 mins. As i go to put my computer away i find it EXTREMELY hot.....like almost burn your hand hot. I open her up to find the keys listed above MELTED!

WTF???!?!?!?!??!?!

With the lid closed shouldn't the computer go to sleep? When i tried to turn on the computer it turned on....then turned off. I tried again and it started up...im writing this post using the melted-lappy.

Has this happened to many people? What should i expect at my genius bar? i can smell burnt plstic from where the keys melted (also isnt that where the gpu fan is?)

its a early 15" 2008 mbp 4 gigs o ram 8600gt.

also i bought this laptop from a co-worker...the original 1 year warranty should still be in effect as it was purchased in June...but will the genius bar give me any trouble about that?

Thanks to all!!

Attached Files:

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I doubt that they'll give you any problems, since it's apparent the fan probably stopped working. Warranty should cover everything. When was the last time you backed up the melted MBP? Ask them for a new MBP...:eek:

3. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

4. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

The warranty should still apply even if you're not the original purchaser.

5. DocStone macrumors regular

DocStone

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i have my MBP in closed lid mode connected to my display most of the time when im not using it out and about or not doing tasks that make it heat up like gaming in Windows and i never have problems.

i think this is definitely a case for a repair under warranty. dont give a huge story and dont make anything up. just be honest and concise like u just where… "while i was consulting my producer i closed the lid and came back to an overheated laptop and melted keys". the should either repair it or replace it on the spot (probably the former as they may not have older MBPs in stock).

7. djkirsten thread starter macrumors regular

Funny thing is the mbp still runs fine....i just had to remove all the melted keys in order to type.

8. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

whoaaa,, yeah just take it to the genius bar, I don't see them being able to deny repair or replacement...specially since it's under warranty... i think even if it the warranty was over you could call them up and they would do something about it. If it got that hot it could have burnt your house down...

9. djkirsten thread starter macrumors regular

I've also operated in closed lid mode before and it has never had a problem....what still boggels my mind is how it overheated when it should have been asleep...

10. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Wow, that's absolutely crazy. I didn't think the MBP could even throw off that much heat! Did you put it in a case or bag or something? Did the fans stop working? Is there any damage to the screen, considering it's probably much more sensitive than the aluminum keys?

Good luck. I hope everything works out. Maybe you'll wind up with a new unibody...

Before I switched to Apple, I had a Dell Inspiron e1505 do the same thing. Instead of going to sleep, the laptop froze and stayed on in my bag. When I pulled it out, it literally burnt my skin. Thankfully, none of the keys melted though.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, definitely keep us posted. This should be quite interesting...

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Ahem, Classic MBP's keys are plastic.

13. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah, I completely forgot! I've been using my mid-2007 MBP as a desktop for so long, I didn't even remember.

14. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I have the same model and use mine probably 70% of the time in clamshell mode. Playing WoW it definitely heats up but I've yet to see anything of consequence from it. That is amazing. The heat must have been extremely high.

This is also why I watch the MBP light until it blinks - now I have mine go into mode 1 hibernation, as saving the battery has been a priority for me. But I still wait for the light to go out. Apple should replace it with no questions ask as the warranty is still valid - yet another reason to get AppleCare! :D

15. stevo8 macrumors 6502

wow thats kind of scary.. I know mine gets hot as all hell but that looks like it wasnt far off going up in flames.

16. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

17. eron macrumors 6502

Then you would burn your fingers.

18. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Weird story, but something similar has happened to my friend. Just in his case it was something inside that melted! He was showing me something, then put the laptop in his bag and went to class, and after class he showed me that a weird smell is coming from the inside (like burnt rubber, just really strong). The quality on some of Apple's products lately is a bit questioning.

19. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Alot more people would develop better typing technique & hand positioning that way. ;)

20. youpey macrumors member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::apple:

i wouldnt ask them to fix it, i would demand a new one and request free applecare considering it could have burned down the joint

21. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

22. djkirsten thread starter macrumors regular

Thats what I'm hoping for!!!!

All day today my laptop was "on parade"...people from other shows made the long trip just to see my melted MBP keys.

A unibody would do me just right!
    ....except i have an upgraded hard drive and upgrade ram....do you think they'd go for it?

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you ask nicely and show respect and concern, then there is a chance you might get a Unibody. However, the normal guideline would be to check and try to repair it. Remember, Apple is looking only for profit, and is not a charity.

So, even though I would like Apple to give you a Unibody, I wouldn't get my hopes up very high. It is more likely to get it fixed.

Sorry if I seem like a dream crusher or like some @$$hole.

24. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

lol, on parade :p

So when is your genius appointment (if you have an Apple store near you)?

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Wow that looks "amazing", but I'm sorry to see it happen.

Hope they at least fix it free of charge and not accuse you of doing it intentionally.