Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Better to have a good gfx than i3 imho. I'm very happy with my new MBP 13". naturally sooner of later they will use i3/i5

Really? You're happy that you have:
The SAME cpu as my Early 2009 AL_uMB (P8600 2.4Ghz)
The SAME ram as my Early 2009 AL_uMB (4GB~8GB is your bonus)
The SAME DVD drive as my Early 2009 AL_uMB.
The SAME ports as my Early 2009 AL_uMB (FW800 is your bonus)
^ FW800 is a HUGE bonus along with 320M Nvidia.

But essentially its the same MacBook with 'Pro' added to the moniker.

Its'

If it doesn't have USB 3.0 I still won't be buying it.

ALL the MBP's should be released with USB 3.0 with Intel's blessing as they've finally seen the light and will be supporting it with their mobo's directly now. Apple ... you call the Mac a design professionals' machine of choice especially the PRO series, its time you start giving us PRO hardware to match with your PRO software ~ please!! Only you can build quality machines, I just need the cpu, graphics and interfaces please.

PS: if no USB3.0 I'd like at least 1 USB2.0+eSATA combo port on the MBP (incl 13").

I'd like a seriously powerful 13" machine. Back in the day the 12" PowerBook G4 had just about everything the 15" did before it was put out back.

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
Really? You're happy that you have:
The SAME cpu as my Early 2009 AL_uMB (P8600 2.4Ghz)
The SAME ram as my Early 2009 AL_uMB (4GB~8GB is your bonus)
The SAME DVD drive as my Early 2009 AL_uMB.
The SAME ports as my Early 2009 AL_uMB (FW800 is your bonus)
^ FW800 is a HUGE bonus along with 320M Nvidia.

But essentially its the same MacBook with 'Pro' added to the moniker.

Its'

ALL the MBP's should be released with USB 3.0 with Intel's blessing as they've finally seen the light and will be supporting it with their mobo's directly now. Apple ... you call the Mac a design professionals' machine of choice especially the PRO series, its time you start giving us PRO hardware to match with your PRO software ~ please!! Only you can build quality machines, I just need the cpu, graphics and interfaces please.

PS: if no USB3.0 I'd like at least 1 USB2.0+eSATA combo port on the MBP (incl 13").

I'd like a seriously powerful 13" machine. Back in the day the 12" PowerBook G4 had just about everything the 15" did before it was put out back.

I thought intel was going to suppress USB 3.0 and push lightpeak out first? And I hope this really is the case. It's time USB 3.0 retired and lightpeak (10 Gbps) were used to match up with PRO hardware as you mentioned.

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
There are already some laptops with usb 3.0. Check out one of the ASUS laptops. I remember seeing one. And the HP ENVY 17 has it too.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
JeffDM said:
Are there notebooks currently shipping with USB 3? I check on and off and I haven't found one.

The new vaio f series just out today has two 3.0 USB and two 2.0. Along with some other fantastic specs for $1500. See sonystyle.com

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I thought intel was going to suppress USB 3.0 and push lightpeak out first? And I hope this really is the case. It's time USB 3.0 retired and lightpeak (10 Gbps) were used to match up with PRO hardware as you mentioned.

Thought lightpeak was a motherboard to cpu interface similar to how hypertransport works with AMD chips. That bandwidth is like optical lan or infiniband but the SSD/HDD's cannot even come close so it serves no purpose at reasonable costs. Still its great technology.

BTW, HP EliteBook Tablet & two 8440W 8450/8460 models ship with USB3.0.

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
Thought lightpeak was a motherboard to cpu interface similar to how hypertransport works with AMD chips. That bandwidth is like optical lan or infiniband but the SSD/HDD's cannot even come close so it serves no purpose at reasonable costs. Still its great technology.

BTW, HP EliteBook Tablet & two 8440W 8450/8460 models ship with USB3.0.

Well I guess its the best way to future proof your macbook, and that's important enough to me. Of course if we have firewire 3200 which can match up to SSD speeds then I don't see the need to make the move to lightpeak yet. But yeah, to future proof things is always a good idea to me. Maybe it can be used to peer to peer transfer bluray movies between two macs. It'd be awesome to watch that in action, it'd be over in a few seconds? But yeah, not of much use now.

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
There will be a major update (late Q4 - early Q1)
with a Sandy Bridge CPUs :

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3876/intels-core-2011-mobile-roadmap-revealed-sandy-bridge-part-ii
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...s_sandy_bridge_cpus_sooner_than_expected.html
Volume production of the next new generation of Intel's desktop and notebook CPUs will begin earlier than originally anticipated in response to enthusiasm from chip buyers like Apple who have sampled the new parts.
Strong positive feedback has induced the company accelerate production. Sandy Bridge chips are expected to go on sale late this year, making it likely that they'll find their way into Macs by early 2011.
"I am more excited by Sandy Bridge than I have been in any product that the company has launched in a number of years," Otellini said. "Due to the very strong reception of Sandy Bridge, we have accelerated our 32-nanometer factory ramp and have raised our capex guidance to enable us to meet the anticipated demand."

Core i7 2620M - top 15" (and maybe 17")
Core i5 2540M - middle 15" (and maybe 17")
Core i5 2520M - bottom 15"

Also a lot of flaws (such as freezing, problems with GPU switching, etc.)
which were common among early 2010 models
will be fixed (I hope)

:apple:

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
There will be a major update (late Q4 - early Q1)
with a Sandy Bridge CPUs :

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3876/intels-core-2011-mobile-roadmap-revealed-sandy-bridge-part-ii
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...s_sandy_bridge_cpus_sooner_than_expected.html

Core i7 2620M - top 15" (and maybe 17")
Core i5 2540M - middle 15" (and maybe 17")
Core i5 2520M - bottom 15"

Also a lot of flaws (such as freezing, problems with GPU switching, etc.)
which were common among early 2010 models
will be fixed (I hope)

:apple:

May I ask, what's your take on the 13' MBP? Still no love? :(

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
If apple gives us firewire 3200 (since its already approved by IEEE) in the next update I wouldn't really be concerned with usb 3.0 and all that hype. Of course, lightpeak would be a different story. Firewire 3200 is better than nothing though.

stevo101

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2009
I own a UBMB 13". It's too expensive for what it is. It CAN be compared to other products. It SHOULD be compared to other products. Other products that would be cheaper, faster, better equipped, more ports, the ability to plug into a 30" display and have it actually work, a webcam that might be in focus, a screen that doesn't show fingerprints so hideously, a glowing light that sits there doing nothing but burning battery and making you wonder just how a laptop can be as inappropriately smug as a whole community.

i agree with the first part, you lost me with the light, if you talking about the sleep light on the front i like that!! anyways i listened to everyone saying that core 2 duo is okay not a big deal, wouldnt notice much change over the i5 processors. I didnt find that to be true though, and its not like i was doing tons of things. i use my mbp 13 inch that i bougth 5 months ago after the quite update to watch movies, i have my wallpapers change every 5 sec, itunes, widgets, screen saver, have a few browsers opens, and it seemed that would tax my cpu it also would crash my stock dvd player im not sure if it had anything to do with my cpu or not though. here is hoping that the more expensive 13 mbp will get the base 15 mbp specs next time around. I hope by then apple has got rid of all their old c2d stock cleared it, so i can buy me one after selling my 5 month old mbp for a $150 loss. otherwise i dont think apple should call the 13 mbp, pros just call them macbook because thats what it is. dont let us down jobs, i dont want the 15 inch the 13 is perfect size for me; not to mention the huge price jump between the two.

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
i agree with the first part, you lost me with the light, if you talking about the sleep light on the front i like that!! anyways i listened to everyone saying that core 2 duo is okay not a big deal, wouldnt notice much change over the i5 processors. I didnt find that to be true though, and its not like i was doing tons of things. i use my mbp 13 inch that i bougth 5 months ago after the quite update to watch movies, i have my wallpapers change every 5 sec, itunes, widgets, screen saver, have a few browsers opens, and it seemed that would tax my cpu it also would crash my stock dvd player im not sure if it had anything to do with my cpu or not though. here is hoping that the more expensive 13 mbp will get the base 15 mbp specs next time around. I hope by then apple has got rid of all their old c2d stock cleared it, so i can buy me one after selling my 5 month old mbp for a $150 loss. otherwise i dont think apple should call the 13 mbp, pros just call them macbook because thats what it is. dont let us down jobs, i dont want the 15 inch the 13 is perfect size for me; not to mention the huge price jump between the two.

Yeah I must agree that the C2D is slow and old now as compared to the i5. And its the reason why many apple fans are waiting for the next update, including myself. The attempts to predict the next 13' MBP is not as simple as the 15' or 17' MBP. I agree that apple should really differentiate the MBP from the MB by giving it Pro hardware, and not just the outer casing and minor modifications. Meanwhile, we'll just have to make do. Get the 15' if you need it now, and get the 13' only on the next update if it looks good.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
No thanks, I'm not doing that, I'll only have this HP for another 27 days then I get the MacBook Pro. I don't like Windows AT ALL, it's not as professional and organised as Mac, That's my personal opinion but your's is obviously different.. However thankyou for telling me :)

if you dont like windows, just throw on ubuntu 10.04 64bit, done and done, even office is installed right from the start.

also with regards to this article... the people that buy this must be freaking so computer illiterate, you are paying the highest premium for a piece of garbage that doesnt even have a quad core cpu, ridiculously slow ram, entry level video card, and the possibility of overheating (see google and the hundreds of articles indicating the POS mbp reaching 100C and doing thermal shutdowns)... WTF is the point? what is your money actually doing for you? looking pretty?

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
if you dont like windows, just throw on ubuntu 10.04 64bit, done and done, even office is installed right from the start.

also with regards to this article... the people that buy this must be freaking so computer illiterate, you are paying the highest premium for a piece of garbage that doesnt even have a quad core cpu, ridiculously slow ram, entry level video card, and the possibility of overheating (see google and the hundreds of articles indicating the POS mbp reaching 100C and doing thermal shutdowns)... WTF is the point? what is your money actually doing for you? looking pretty?

Heh, obviously not an apple fanboy. Oh well, although I must agree that the Apple MBP specs are outdated, and there are many who are disgruntled with it, but there are still others who love the OS and software.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006

What a litany! Let me guess, you think it's your job to go evangelize to the fan sites of the company you hate? Don't you have better things to do with your time than to go trolling?

Besides, hundreds of articles on a problem don't necessarily mean much. With any finished manufactured product from any brand, you get at least a 0.1% chance of something going wrong, it happens when you have hundreds of different components assembled together. The various user surveys have not found pervasive failures, but they have found high user satisfaction. I've not had to go to Apple for a fix very often, but when I do, they haven't given me a run-around, they replace the part or product.

And Linux isn't for everyone either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.