Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
HP shipped a regular XP disc with a second check disk. our help desk had a whole stack of them. if the XP disc didn't detect a HP BIOS then you had to put in the check CD for the check and it let you go on. nothing special. dell charges you $15 for a physical restore DVD because there is a restore partition on the hard drive you can restore from. crapware included.

my inspiron came with a Dell OS disc and i used it to restore my HP laptop at the time. no big deal. it just asks you for the key instead of activating automatically. same copy of Windows. not like custom versions of android on different phones

it took hours because i had to wipe the hard drive, install windows, download all the drivers from dell, install them, all the updated, etc. all this because the computer was unusable out of the box. i can understand one AV program, but dell had several trial AV and security programs along with trials of some other programs.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
To even remotely state that Windows 7 is more stable than OS X is more than retarded. Already the vast number of programs available on Windows makes it a vulnerability. Pity ignorant ppl don’t see that.

masta beta

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2011
cool_story_bro_2.jpg

Never compare a PC with a Mac. Macs are always better. Specs doesn't even matter when OSX >> Windoze.

Tony06

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
If you buy a Dell you'll be satisfied for a year, and you'll start looking at macbook pros again. if you buy a macbook pro you'll be satisified for 2 years and you'll start to look for better macbook pros. all that to say that for all the reasons listed before this post, go with a mac :apple:

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
I have always heard macs are a great computer, but I would like to know why they're so great compared to a PC.

Its the operating system, Mac OS X, that runs on Macs. Simple to use, built on top of Unix (which is a far better foundation than the NT roots of Windows 7), and far less susceptible to security issues. There are features like Time Machine that makes backup really simple, you'll only have to reboot very infrequently, and you don't have to worry about stuff like your registry getting corrupted (there is no Registry in OS X). No messing around with a ton of drivers and such trying to get hardware to work properly too.

Since Apple makes both the OS and the hardware, the integration is a lot better, they both function as a whole. Case in point is gestures on the trackpad, and the glass trackpad in itself is a joy to use. The industrial design of the Macbooks is all about simplicity... you don't get ports all over the place, you don't get a ton of vents wherever its convenient to the manufacturer to place them.

The premium you pay is for the integration between OS/hardware, the industrial design and customer service and handholding if you need it too.

Plus you don't get a machine with a ton of bloatware loaded on it. And you get useful apps like iPhoto and iMovie which are great for organizing photos and editing home movies.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Third-party comparative review

It really depends on what Dell you get. Dell Inspiron's are probably what large companies are buying and, yes, their build quality isn't great but it's also very cheap. Dell XPS is what most users buy for personal use and their build quality is pretty good. The new 15" XPS was just released so we no one knows how the build quality is yet. The new MBP have their own build quality issues according to IFixIt's breakdown of it.
Check this out:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380921,00.asp :eek:
The winner is ..... the MBP. :cool::apple::cool:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Its the operating system, Mac OS X, that runs on Macs. Simple to use, built on top of Unix (which is a far better foundation than the NT roots of Windows 7), and far less susceptible to security issues. There are features like Time Machine that makes backup really simple, you'll only have to reboot very infrequently, and you don't have to worry about stuff like your registry getting corrupted (there is no Registry in OS X). No messing around with a ton of drivers and such trying to get hardware to work properly too.

Since Apple makes both the OS and the hardware, the integration is a lot better, they both function as a whole. Case in point is gestures on the trackpad, and the glass trackpad in itself is a joy to use. The industrial design of the Macbooks is all about simplicity... you don't get ports all over the place, you don't get a ton of vents wherever its convenient to the manufacturer to place them.

The premium you pay is for the integration between OS/hardware, the industrial design and customer service and handholding if you need it too.

Plus you don't get a machine with a ton of bloatware loaded on it. And you get useful apps like iPhoto and iMovie which are great for organizing photos and editing home movies.

you just described windows 7 as well

can't speak about all the hardware out there, but the OS is rock solid. between Microsoft and a lot of companies merging in the last decade most of the driver issues went away by themselves. even before that most of the issues were buying crappy hardware in the first place.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
You're asking the wrong people, almost everyone here is ridiculously biased towards Macs
Also anyone who says "they just work" is just saying that because they have no legit reasons why Macs are better.

Compared to MY experience with Windows (which was XP/Vista), OSX works with everything. On my girlfriends' Dell XPS workstation, she HAS to INSTALL drivers for her HP printer. On my MacBook Pro, I just plug it in and IT SEES it. Nothing to install.

I plug in my 1Ds into my MBP (via firewire reader), Preview CAN READ THE .TIFF files natively. Again, nothing to install.

Last edited:

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
My company gave me a Dell E6400 that is utter garbage. I have nothing but problems with it. The only Windows laptop I would buy is a Thinkpad. I love my 15" MacBook Pro.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009

can't speak about all the hardware out there, but the OS is rock solid.

Its certainly a huge leap over Vista, but still suffers from requiring more security updates/fixes than OS X does. It still is hampered with the horrible thing of a registry. Software installs still throws a ton of stuff and libraries into your system directories.

I couldn't play the Dragon Age II demo, because the correct version of DirectX it required wasn't installed (yes system has DirectX, just not what the game was built for).

between Microsoft and a lot of companies merging in the last decade most of the driver issues went away by themselves.

Last driver issue for me is the latest ATI Catalyst 11.2, it locks up hard for me, black screen. Ok, I really blame AMD for this more than Microsoft, but you get the idea. I would have preferred Apple to remain with Nvidia for the GPU on the MBPs, but oh well.

Don't get me wrong though - Windows 7 is a huge leap forward, and every PC manufacturer out there better be thankful for it (Vis-crap was beyond bad). Its still not OS X, and it will likely never be. Windows would be a ton better and more secure if Microsoft re-wrote the whole OS kernel based on Unix, and got rid of that terrible idea of a registry and how software packages get installed/distributed.

dnenciu

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2007

can't speak about all the hardware out there, but the OS is rock solid. between Microsoft and a lot of companies merging in the last decade most of the driver issues went away by themselves. even before that most of the issues were buying crappy hardware in the first place.

I remember one time I had a problem with an HP laptop they said it was a windows issue and I would have to talk to M$ I called M$ and they told me that HP had to take care of the problem not them. That's the service you get.

Also value is defined in many ways cheap doesn't necessarily mean value.
I bought a Nikon D700 that was very expensive but will last me for many years and brings me a lot of joy when I look at the pictures it takes.
Would a low end SLR be a lot cheaper yes would I enjoy it as much no.

What I like about apple is the integration and control they have on the whole package hardware and software. That limits your options and raises the price but for some is worth it.

You need to have the money and value the quality of it to buy it.

Is like saying a Hyundai is a much better value than a BMW might be for some others enjoy their BMWs enough to consider the cost worth it.

also about Dell, many of my colleagues used Dell Latitudes before the company moved to Lenovo. After one year the battery would hold 20min of charge.

DoctaKrafty

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
Apple computers are very well made, specially in comparison to Dell. It's not about specs and power for you as you're (the OP) not a heavy user. You want something thats not going to break down in 6 months time. Perhaps even a Dell won't if all you do is watch movies and surf the web ect...

Some anecdotal evidence is a friend of mine uses a Dell (the gaming one I forget what it's called, ugly as hell) that has had to be entirely replaced several times. He's gone through maybe 4 or 5 Dell laptops in 3 years? One great thing about Dell is the warranty. It's worth paying extra for their lifetime warranty because they like to break down.

Im a fan of apple hardware due to it's quality. And style, who can forget the style. I've had one apple computer break down on me (iMac G5 first gen (2004)) which was fixed no hassles. I still have a G3 MacBook that works. Thats about 14 years old. This mac is 3 years old, and Im a much heavier that normal user (Gaming, Video editing/encoding, 3D, Photo editing ect..) and it hasn't skipped a beat. It runs just as well as it did when it was brand new. The G5 is still running too and used regularly. Im waiting on delivery of my 5th Mac (MacBook Pro 17') in the last 15+ years so you could say they have roughly 3.75+ year lifespan. They are all still running except for my first one which got thrown out sadly.

Also Windows 7 is awesome. I love OS X but I love Windows 7 too. I use them both and they're both very good. I have both installed on my Mac and they enjoy cups of tea and scones together. Windows 7 can even read Mac drives now!!! Awesome? Indeed. Bootcamp is fantastic!!

more fps

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Ottawa
I was also debating between a sony laptop and an macbook pro, I was tired of useless updates and blogware, so I got my first Macbook pro and I'm not regretting it. It's worth the extra money and it's top notch in building materials.:D

evro50

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
My Dell experience:

"High End" Dell XPS 13
-3 months later = dead mother board, dell replaces next day with refurbished unit
-6 months later = dead mother board again, dell replaces next day with refurbished unit
- 9 months later = dies again, i search the internet to see if this is a common issue which sure enough it is and dell is just replacing with refurbished units until customers are out of warranty. Took me 2 days of calling Indian call centres who could barely speak a word of english to get in touch with the "manager" who could also barely speak english. I asked for a replacement machine, they refused flat out to which i called consumer affairs and lodged a complaint over here in Australia.
- 2 weeks later consumer affairs confirms that I was in the right, replacement computer received XPS13. Dell assures me this is the new model and I will have no issues.
- I've had this one for the past year, all with problems, it is tacky and cheap and the cover has discoloured from light use. I will never ever buy dell again.

Sorry for the essay long post but the customer service from Dell is poor, yes they have a next day replacement service but I would much prefer not having to replace parts every few months and have a machine that does what I bought it for....work.

I am by no means a mac fanboy, I only just ordered my first mac and it comes in mail this week...15 inch high end :)

vipergts831

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
New York City
i find this intresting because im upgrading my XPS 15 from 3.5 years ago to this macbook. The optical drive crapped out on me last year. The xps is definitley much heavier than a MBP. Would i go xps again? Nope im buying into apples system and leaving windows. Im tired of windows and have used apple enough to be comfortable moving over. If your a gamer its a tougher decision. Im not a gamer but a photographer so the move is easy for me. The premium is buying into the whole package. Well worth it.

dannyr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
How would the high end 13" macbook air be in comparison to the 15" MBP and XPS performance wise? I am little hesitent when reading 'core duo'.

I appreciate all your responses, much thanks!:D

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I guess paying an extra $800 is worth not having to go to hp.com and download a driver to use your printer right? I mean typing hp.com into the address bar is THAT difficult

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Look at the construction of the MBP, now look at the Dell XPS. There's a huge difference in form factor and quality. The MBP is chiseled hunk of metal, the Dell is a hunk of plastic tonka toy.

If build quality isn't your concern then you should be fine with the Dell.

That's an insult to Tonka Toys. They make heavy duty toys that last years longer than a Dell.

Maybe Dell should hire Tonka to make their cases. :D

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
It's like this HP 6dvt or whatever it is I just ordered. Similar cpu/better gpu/hd/memory to MBP. $1000 cheaper than MBP.

For that difference I can nearly buy a new 13" MBP. :eek: They are selling them for $1100 at Microcenter.

I know Windows is always cheaper per Mhz, but the price gap with this HP 6dvt, well, I didn't expect this big a gap day one. Day one! :eek:

I expect this gap towards the end of a MBP cycle since Apple holds prices steady until the next version is released while Windows OEMs drop theirs as component costs fall. The digital Apple price vs the analog Windows OEM price.

In this case we are starting out $1000 less. What happens in 5 months? GAp will only go up.

Last edited:

gregoryalee

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
2. Windows 7 barely has any Virus problems these days and if he's really worried he can spend the extra $30 and get virus protection which isn't a big deal.

I am a CTO for a successful platform agnostic IT consulting company. The quoted statement is NOT true. Choose whatever computer you want, as long as your happy with it, it's worth the money you spend.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
To be fair you'd have to say that the regular macbook is plastic, so I guess that would classify as tonka toy also. At $999 it's more expensive than average PC laptops.

I only use Macs, but that's because I like Macs.

Both machines can work. Just depends on your wants and needs.

The plastic macbook is garbage too. I'm referring to the aluminum MBPs.

parkm13

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
i would go with the macbook for one reason......................... it comes with APPLE STICKERS :D. thats the whole reason i bought mine. thats not true. but for real you should go with the mac. once i switched i can never go back to a pc. its more the software then the hardware. and it will last you longer because apple supports them a lot longer then Microsoft does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.