MacBook Pro will not boot following crash while watching video.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kjmlynar, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Kjmlynar macrumors newbie

Kjmlynar

Hi everyone! I am at the point with my MacBook where it will not boot, no matter what I try.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro.

Background:

One year ago, I spilled liquid in the keyboard. It acted weird at first, and then went back to normal, although the left shift no longer works.

I have always had issues with this Mac getting very hot--hot enough to burn my legs.

Two weeks ago, I was watching a video. The screen went black and the sound kept skipping. I had to power it down, and then it turned back on no problem.

This week, two days ago, it happened again while watching a live stream of a hockey game. I turned it off, and now it will not turn on.

Here is what happens:

1. I turn it on, hear the chime.
    2. My little login photo of my face shows up, I enter my password.
    3. A loading bar pops up.
    4. It loads 1/3 of the way, then freezes, at the same spot every single time.

I have tried booting while holding down command R, Option PR, command option PR, D, command shift...everything I have found to do online, I have tried, and nothing works. It just can't get past that loading bar.

I was able to pull the hard drive out today and back up what I needed to my work desktop Mac. I then put the hard drive back in, and tried booting it ten different ways again, but stil no luck.

Is it toast? I have read that this could be the logic board or graphics card.

I appreciate any info in advance. I am going to the Genius Bar tomorrow, but they will probably just tell me I need a new logic board. If so, should I do that, or replace the unit?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

3. Kjmlynar thread starter macrumors newbie

Kjmlynar

I will definitely bring that up tomorrow, thank you!

4. Kjmlynar thread starter macrumors newbie

Kjmlynar

I saw that, but I don't have scrambled video--it just freezes and turns black half way through videos. It doesn't turn off randomly either, I just am forced to reboot it. I will definitely bring it up though. Honestly, I don't know much about these computers.

EDIT: By freezes, I meant froze. Can't get it on to test again!

5. ljjycss macrumors member

ljjycss

6. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

The previous liquid spill will quite likely mean apple won't cover it under the programme, though, unfortunately.

7. dealmaker macrumors regular

Yes - definitely sounds like a GPU issue - they don't all fail in the same way - and my 17" machine exhibited the exact same symptoms you described when it failed for the first time.

Take it to the Apple store - and tell them whats happening - they will do a diagnostic test and it fails the video test (and it sounds like it might) they should install a logic Board for you free of charge.

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You can choose not to volunteer any information about a previous liquid spill. :D
    However, expect that liquid damage will be visible as staining inside the case...
    If the tech or "genius" somehow misses that damage (might happen!), then you have to hope for a failure in the store diagnostic test. THAT will decide if you get a free repair, or not. Your MBPro has to fail that test.

9. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Apple doesn't care so as long as it fails the Video System Test (VST).

10. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Yeah, certainly worth taking in and crossing fingers.

11. Kjmlynar thread starter macrumors newbie

Kjmlynar

They are sending it in for a new logic board for free! It did fail the test. Thank you for your reply!!
    --- Post Merged, Apr 30, 2016 ---

EDIT// they are replacing the logic board for free as it did fail the video test. Thank you everyone!