Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

What size screen MacBook Pro (2021) did you order?

• Total voters

whitby

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
I am wondering whether it is the higher spec MBPros or is it all versions? Mine too is the !6" 64GB/4TB SSD version ordered 2 minutes after ordering was enabled (timed at 14:02 US CDT, 12:02 PDT). At the time the 4TB versions had shorter delivery times than the 2 TB version, but now deliveries are being pushed out by quite large amounts which is a significant and unusual miss for Apple. Since they have not shipped, it has to be a manufacturing issue. The only positive thing from Apple today was the fact that my Watch 7 has shipped (Graphite SS, Black Milanese loop).

Reading all these reviews and comments on the new machines is rather frustrating when you cannot even buy the machines to try them out yourself. I noted that all the 3rd party suppliers are in the same boat with virtually every configuration on back order (I saw 1 silver 16GB, 256GB 16" at Adorama, if I remember correctly). The only versions I ever saw available were the base versions (16GB/256GBSSD M1 Pro) which begs the question as to why Apple initially stocked up on the base versions only.

We watch and wait.

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Mine was supposedly shipped out almost a week ago and has not left Shanghai and I had not had any sort of update since November 12th in my tracking. However, just a little bit ago I checked and I have a new scan that says it has cleared import customs. It does not give a location and there is no other indication that it actually moved. Anyone knows what this means? Could it be in the US and it just missed a bunch of scans along the way? UPS is not giving a delivery date (well, they originally said yesterday, the 15th, but that hasn't shown for a number of days now) and Apple is still saying Friday, the 19th, which was the last day of my revised window (originally the 10th-17th).

View attachment 1911704

Mine has been in a similar state. UPS has been saying for a week delivery Thursday the 18th, but it's had no update since the 12th scan in China. Hopefully mine updates soon. I think if there's no update today or tomorrow, very unlikely it's coming the 18th. I'm kind of doubting I'll get it Thursday.

11/12/2021
3:25 P.M.
On the Way
Your package is in transit. We're updating plans to schedule your delivery. / The package will be forwarded to a UPS facility in the destination city.
ZhengZhou, China

• Sad
Reactions: madhatress

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Mine has been in a similar state. UPS has been saying for a week delivery Thursday the 18th, but it's had no update since the 12th scan in China. Hopefully mine updates soon. I think if there's no update today or tomorrow, very unlikely it's coming the 18th. I'm kind of doubting I'll get it Thursday.

11/12/2021
3:25 P.M.
On the Way
Your package is in transit. We're updating plans to schedule your delivery. / The package will be forwarded to a UPS facility in the destination city.
ZhengZhou, China
The bottleneck certainly seems to be 11/12 since all of us seem to be (or have been) stuck at that date. Mine was supposed to deliver 11/17 per UPS but that clearly won't be happening, since it is still stuck in China and has been since 11/12. I'd be super happy if it arrived by Friday but I'm not holding my breath, even for that. There have been a couple of encouraging posts in this thread over the last 24 hours from people whose MBPs were in limbo since the 12th but are now showing movement. [Correction: It's all the same post from tombstone1881, quoted by different people. Sigh.] Here's hoping ours will soon show the same progress.

If a watched kettle never boils, does that mean a watched UPS tracking site never shows movement? ?

YukiseKimi

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2021
I've been lurking but felt like sharing the timeline for my MBP 16inch M1 Max, 4TB, 64gb. Ordered Oct 18
Delivery date was for today but I doubt it'll happen. Hopefully tomorrow...
Delivery is to East Coast Canada
1637100307383.png

Wxchaser

macrumors P6
Oct 28, 2017
Congratulations! How exciting!!! Best of luck.
So I recently just got hired at Apple and I've been waiting for my credentials (finally got last night 🙌🏻) so ordered a 14" 2TB SSD/32GB ram config for the same price I paid at best buy. Will be returning the base I got at best buy while I was waiting lol. Super stoked!
Good for you - congrats. Enjoy the new MBP!

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
That would be nice and ideal. No idea why Apple just decided to eliminate it completely.
My guess is because developers were disinterested in making use of it. It comes across as a gimmick, as mentioned above, but mostly because it was hardly utilized for anything truly productive. As a developer myself I completely loathed two things about the TouchBar; 1> already mentioned, other devs not capitalizing on it. If I were doing Mac Apps, I would have been all over it. 2> They took away my physical F keys and ESC key. WTF? Apple began waging a silent war on the Escape key a few years back and I’m not sure just what their deal is. Too many apps use it far too regularly. That’s my most hated thing about the iPad Pro that I spend hours and hours on. No Escape, so now CMD+~ is embedded in my muscle memory.

Anyway, Apple themselves didn’t seem fully willing to commit to TouchBar. In order for it to succeed they needed it on all their notebooks, not just the Pros and they needed it on their iMac keyboards as well, specifically the iMac Pro. And when their own apps fail to use it for any real function where it would be obvious, well… they killed it.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
I'm still going to keep my July 2019 13inch intel Macbook Pro with touch bar- UpperCase has the keyboard cover now for the 14 & 16 M1 Pro/ M1 Max MacBooks

Last edited:

ArmpitoftheGian

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
I am wondering whether it is the higher spec MBPros or is it all versions? Mine too is the !6" 64GB/4TB SSD version ordered 2 minutes after ordering was enabled (timed at 14:02 US CDT, 12:02 PDT). At the time the 4TB versions had shorter delivery times than the 2 TB version, but now deliveries are being pushed out by quite large amounts which is a significant and unusual miss for Apple. Since they have not shipped, it has to be a manufacturing issue. The only positive thing from Apple today was the fact that my Watch 7 has shipped (Graphite SS, Black Milanese loop).

Reading all these reviews and comments on the new machines is rather frustrating when you cannot even buy the machines to try them out yourself. I noted that all the 3rd party suppliers are in the same boat with virtually every configuration on back order (I saw 1 silver 16GB, 256GB 16" at Adorama, if I remember correctly). The only versions I ever saw available were the base versions (16GB/256GBSSD M1 Pro) which begs the question as to why Apple initially stocked up on the base versions only.

We watch and wait.

Ordered the exact same configuration (16" Max/64GB, 4TB) morning of Oct 19th. Still stuck in the "Processing" purgatory. E-mailed Apple Education (bought thru my institution) and was told it'll ship today, it hasn't. Delivery date has not changed from Nov 19-25...

Reactions: Appleguy84

man02195

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Has anyone else had there Macbook Pro shipped by Fedex and what was the next stop after

SHANGHAI, CN​

I know UPS is from China, Seoul, then to ALASKA, then to Kentucky
On FedEx, mine went from Shanghai, CN to Sennan-Shi, JP, directly to Memphis... and then it just sat there waiting for someone to move it thru customs.... and it's still there 11/13, 11/14, 11/15, 11/16... reached out to Apple to see if they could help, and nothing yet.

man02195

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
On FedEx, mine went from Shanghai, CN to Sennan-Shi, JP, directly to Memphis... and then it just sat there waiting for someone to move it thru customs.... and it's still there 11/13, 11/14, 11/15, 11/16... reached out to Apple to see if they could help, and nothing yet.
Spoke too soon

Travel History
Tuesday, November 16, 2021
7:12 PM MEMPHIS, TN International shipment release - Import

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
So I recently just got hired at Apple and I've been waiting for my credentials (finally got last night 🙌🏻) so ordered a 14" 2TB SSD/32GB ram config for the same price I paid at best buy. Will be returning the base I got at best buy while I was waiting lol. Super stoked!
Congrats!!! 🎉 This is totally awesome news. When do you start and what will you be doing?

bige12

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
Just seems strange since I have seen flights for Fedex directly to Alaska from china

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
Ordered the exact same configuration (16" Max/64GB, 4TB) morning of Oct 19th. Still stuck in the "Processing" purgatory. E-mailed Apple Education (bought thru my institution) and was told it'll ship today, it hasn't. Delivery date has not changed from Nov 19-25...
Keep the faith. That’s my config as well, ordered it within the first couple minutes on the Oct. 18 and it finally shipped Friday. FedEx actually picked up or received it saturday, took a bit to clear customs and leave Shanghai. It’s in Shennan-Shi Japan today. I’m supposed to have it in my hands on Friday.

I've been lurking but felt like sharing the timeline for my MBP 16inch M1 Max, 4TB, 64gb. Ordered Oct 18
Delivery date was for today but I doubt it'll happen. Hopefully tomorrow...
Delivery is to East Coast Canada
View attachment 1911944
Woo! Good news is. It is out of China so It will be traveling back to back. Hopefully you will receive your MacBook Pro before this weekend is up. Otherwise, it'll most likely in your hands before Thanksgiving :)

I have just changed to PTS 😁 deliver window of 15th-22nd nov…is there a way to get tracking number still using order number or phone number ? Can someone let me know
You can check under "Check by reference" via UPS. Make sure you have MyChoice UPS account set up. It will mostly likely to appear in a day or so.

Under Shipment Reference:

1637136696389.png

Enter your order number or the phone number and see if it shows up :) Happy tracking. Keep us posted. Good luck!!!

My guess is because developers were disinterested in making use of it. It comes across as a gimmick, as mentioned above, but mostly because it was hardly utilized for anything truly productive. As a developer myself I completely loathed two things about the TouchBar; 1> already mentioned, other devs not capitalizing on it. If I were doing Mac Apps, I would have been all over it. 2> They took away my physical F keys and ESC key. WTF? Apple began waging a silent war on the Escape key a few years back and I’m not sure just what their deal is. Too many apps use it far too regularly. That’s my most hated thing about the iPad Pro that I spend hours and hours on. No Escape, so now CMD+~ is embedded in my muscle memory.

Anyway, Apple themselves didn’t seem fully willing to commit to TouchBar. In order for it to succeed they needed it on all their notebooks, not just the Pros and they needed it on their iMac keyboards as well, specifically the iMac Pro. And when their own apps fail to use it for any real function where it would be obvious, well… they killed it.
Great observation. I have a feeling Apple will be re-introducing the Touch Bar in the future. They will say Touch ID is back :). It's not completely dead yet.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014

The most irritating thing about the touchbar (outside of the virtual Esc key) is that it would occasionally lag/crash so quickly changing the volume was a sort of hit and miss activity.

When it worked making adjustments to the volume level felt better than traditional keys because you could very quickly swipe in the direction you want for major adjustments or move it ever so slightly in micro increments. I still miss this aspect of the touchbar on my new MBP.

When it didn't work (i.e, when it crashed/lagged) it was very annoying because not only would a basic frequent task become unusable but the machine would somehow accidentally turn up the volume to max when the touchbar finally 'reboots' itself and comes back to life. Even when the thing was functioning correctly maxing out the volume accidentally could be accomplished by missing the 'X' button to close the volume slider and instead the machine would think you're pressing the rightmost portion of the volume slider.

Given that I was a teenager when I bought my first touchbar MacBook you can see why accidentally maxing out the volume on those very loud speakers might be a problem worth moaning about so to speak...

wct097

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
My second order from 10/19 with two 16/max/64/2tb configs just switched to preparing to ship. Original delivery was 11/18-11/26, now 12/14-12-21.

Interesting that I ordered three of the same machine... one on 10/18, and two on 10/19 and the 10/19 order is coming over 45 days after the 10/18 order.

They also hit the credit card 3x for over $12k in total when the order was under $10k.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.