Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
So, I keep seeing all the anti-Mac folks asserting in here about how much cheaper generic PC laptops are than Macs, so, I took a few minutes to look around the web. I mostly wasted my time, not finding machines that match up with Macs in important attributes, including weight and battery life, as well as performance. About the only interesting machines that I found were Sony Vaio's, although their battery life ratio still doesn't match Apple, they do have some other very nice attributes.

So, let me ask the anti-Apple faction -- exactly what models are you looking at that weigh 4.5-6.6 lbs, that have comparable battery life, that have comparable CPU's, memory, and graphics, have three-year support available, and, cost 1/2 of Apple. Because I'm not finding all these machines. I do see a lot of cheapo machines with comparable CPU's/performance -- so what?

The PC fans conveniently compare the Macbooks and the Macbook Pros to the cheap crap PC's that are thrown together with all the fixings but will fall apart soon. They won't dare compare them with the HP Elite line or the Dell Precision line. Why? Because for example, the Dell Precision line compares with the Macbooks and MBP in terms of build quality and price but falls short on features. The Dell Precisions have good build quality and decent screens but only modest features and end up much more in cost to the MBP after adding in the Core i series processors and DD3 ram.
So why won't the PC fans yell at Dell for selling such expensive Precision models when their much cheaper line offers so much more? They won't because then they won't have an argument against what Apple is offering. Ignore these idiots that are trolling the forum, they are not helping anyone.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
The PC fans conveniently compare the Macbooks and the Macbook Pros to the cheap crap PC's that are thrown together with all the fixings but will fall apart soon. They won't dare compare them with the HP Elite line or the Dell Precision line. Why? Because for example, the Dell Precision line compares with the Macbooks and MBP in terms of build quality and price but falls short on features. The Dell Precisions have good build quality and decent screens but only modest features and end up much more in cost to the MBP after adding in the Core i series processors and DD3 ram.
So why won't the PC fans yell at Dell for selling such expensive Precision models when their much cheaper line offers so much more? They won't because then they won't have an argument against what Apple is offering. Ignore these idiots that are trolling the forum, they are not helping anyone.

Dell Precision laptops are built for heavy IT use. They're in no way comparable to consumer laptops like the Macbook. HP Elites? The laptops with QuadroFX graphics chips and quad i7 CPUs? Again, those aren't consumer laptops.

I think you're overestimating the build quality of Plastic Macbooks by a country mile. I'm in no way a 'PC Fan' - I've never owned one in 27 years of owning computers except for a self build BeOS box - but even I can see that Apple have stood still with this update when some other computer manufacturers have skated on.

About ten years ago, Macs were a lot more expensive, then at about the time of the Intel transition they were only a little more but worth it for OSX. Now they're pretty outrageously more expensive again and OSX isn't the big selling point it once was.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
I wish I could put it like this!

I think you're overestimating the build quality of Plastic Macbooks by a country mile. I'm in no way a 'PC Fan' - I've never owned one in 27 years of owning computers except for a self build BeOS box - but even I can see that Apple have stood still with this update when some other computer manufacturers have skated on.

About ten years ago, Macs were a lot more expensive, then at about the time of the Intel transition they were only a little more but worth it for OSX. Now they're pretty outrageously more expensive again and OSX isn't the big selling point it once was.

Very nicely put! I completely agree!

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Dell Precision laptops are built for heavy IT use. They're in no way comparable to consumer laptops like the Macbook. HP Elites? The laptops with QuadroFX graphics chips and quad i7 CPUs? Again, those aren't consumer laptops.

I'm certainly not backing up Apple in terms of these updates to the Macbook line but I wasn't referring only to the Macbooks, I mentioned the Macbook Pros as well, in fact the MBP's were the ones I was comparing the Dell Precision and HP Elite line to in terms of build quality and feature set. Define "Heavy IT use"? What does that mean? Let's put OS's aside, what does the Dell Precision and the HP Elite have or do that makes them built for "Heavy IT use" that the Macbook Pro isn't capable of?
If you can give a straight no BS answer that makes sense I would be more than happy to accept that but this is the same answer I've heard before but no explanation could back it up.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
I'm certainly not backing up Apple in terms of these updates to the Macbook line but I wasn't referring only to the Macbooks, I mentioned the Macbook Pros as well, in fact the MBP's were the ones I was comparing the Dell Precision and HP Elite line to in terms of build quality and feature set. Define "Heavy IT use"? What does that mean? Let's put OS's aside, what does the Dell Precision and the HP Elite have or do that makes them built for "Heavy IT use" that the Macbook Pro isn't capable of?
If you can give a straight no BS answer that makes sense I would be more than happy to accept that but this is the same answer I've heard before but no explanation could back it up.

Just look at the specs. They've got Quad Core power hungry i7s and Nvidia QuadroFX GPUs. These are heavy, chunky, noisy, hot deskbound 'laptops' not the svelte stripped back fashion statements Apple make. There's a completely different set of design goals.

Also with them come on-site service contracts.

Of the smaller Precision/Elite models, they're still built like brick outhouses compared to Apple's 'Pro' offerings.

Back to the Macbook though - it's Apple's base laptop model and it's more expensive and less well equipped than most other laptop manufacturer's mid to high end model. Justify that.

jegbook

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2007
As I type this on Snow Leopard, I'd rather have Windows 7.

I'm confused. Clearly mosx has a serious beef with OS X and Apple and would prefer something different.

Based on his own arguments, he should easily be able to find someone willing to buy has Apple computer from him.

So, mosx, why aren't you using Win 7? You should use what you like.

I happen to like both. If my 2.5 yr old MacBook has crashed under Snow Leopard, I can't remember it (I did do a clean install of SL and used Migration Assistant to transfer existing account data and applications). At the same time, I don't think Win 7 has crashed on me either in the ~10 months I've been running it. I was not able, though, to migrate my data and apps from my XP system to my Win 7 install.

Neither OS accomplishes all tasks I'd like really well, so I use both. 97% of the time I'm running Win 7 virtually along with SL. I reckon if I could only have one OS, I could figure out how to accomplish everything with either. Each OS has its strong points and its weak points. I just find it easier to take advantage of both.

jegbook

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2007
So, let me ask the anti-Apple faction -- exactly what models are you looking at that weigh 4.5-6.6 lbs, that have comparable battery life, that have comparable CPU's, memory, and graphics, have three-year support available, and, cost 1/2 of Apple. Because I'm not finding all these machines. I do see a lot of cheapo machines with comparable CPU's/performance -- so what?

Apple does allow you to pay for 3 years of hardware support, though others will allow you to pay for longer warranties as well as accidental damage warranties, which Apple doesn't offer.
-1 to Apple.

On the flipside, Apple will (I believe) be happy to help you with your 4 year old Mac completely out of warranty at the genius bar for free. No, they won't replace your hardware, but they will still help you. No other computer maker offers anything similar. I know my own parents have found that very helpful.
+1 to Apple.

jegbook

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2007
What use is an SD[HC] slot? CF would be more useful, though with a more selective appeal.

So, a feature that be would helpful for (total guess) 5% of users is more useful than one that would be helpful for (again total guess) 90%+ of users? I'm missing the logic.

SD is the predominant memory used in digital cameras today. Some Sony cameras are even compatible with SD. I believe CF is predominant in higher end DSLRs, but how many [entry level?] consumers are using higher end DSLRs? Many DSLRs are using SD as well.

SD seems a logical choice if they are to offer only one. True, a multi-slot would be more helpful. It can be hard to understand Apple's decisions sometimes, though they tend to lean towards Apple's version of simplicity, which is debatable, I agree.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Just look at the specs. They've got Quad Core power hungry i7s and Nvidia QuadroFX GPUs. These are heavy, chunky, noisy, hot deskbound 'laptops' not the svelte stripped back fashion statements Apple make. There's a completely different set of design goals.

Also with them come on-site service contracts.

Of the smaller Precision/Elite models, they're still built like brick outhouses compared to Apple's 'Pro' offerings.

That is one of the things I'm talking about. One model mentioned weighs 9.7 lbs and has a battery life of 3 hours. Obviously intended for different uses, although I'm stumped what "heavy IT" means in this context -- you can run Excel on an Atom processor. My Windows Vista box spends about 95% of its CPU cycles running virus checkers, etc.-- do you really need 4 Nehalem cores for that?!?!?

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Back to the Macbook though - it's Apple's base laptop model and it's more expensive and less well equipped than most other laptop manufacturer's mid to high end model. Justify that.

You've got a point there, although the most common buyers for these machines were via the Education discount for students, teachers, and schools, etc. So the real price for many was the education price. That is why it is disappointing that the education discount on the new Macbook is so minimal.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
So, a feature that be would helpful for (total guess) 5% of users is more useful than one that would be helpful for (again total guess) 90%+ of users? I'm missing the logic.

SD is the predominant memory used in digital cameras today. Some Sony cameras are even compatible with SD. I believe CF is predominant in higher end DSLRs, but how many [entry level?] consumers are using higher end DSLRs? Many DSLRs are using SD as well.

SD seems a logical choice if they are to offer only one. True, a multi-slot would be more helpful. It can be hard to understand Apple's decisions sometimes, though they tend to lean towards Apple's version of simplicity, which is debatable, I agree.

I would agree. The SD card slot is way more useful, and even in the pro ranks, were many AVCHD camcorders are using SD cards. A CF card slot was dead back with PCMCIA in 2006 . . . introduction of ExpressCard 34 and the Intel Macbook Pro.

I'd still love to see Apple put another FW800 port on ANY of the machines below the Mac Pro though.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah

I disagree, I think OSX is still a very valid selling point. Its matured and it is stable. Windows is still Windows and has it's pitfalls. Thats not to say OSX isn't flawless, it has its own shortcomings. Windows however still gets viruses. Pc's still come with shareware,bloat and gagware, and spyware... out of the box.

When you buy a Mac, you buy not only for OSX, but for the fact that you don't have to immediately deal with those shenanigans (excuse me I am Irish :D ). What you see is what you get. You get a great aesthetically design product that is both ergonomic and efficient in design. It also has the design to back it up.

I am by no means an Apple fanboy, I used Pc's a decade+ before switching only a mere 8 months ago when I started college. In my IT endeavors, Mac OSX with Terminal and *ix backbone has been extremely powerful enough for heavy use. Even my mere Macbook! The best thing you can do is pop in some ram and an SSD and then you have a good, fast, and powerful machine. You can run bootcamp, and enjoy the SSD speed and run your favorite Windows programs. So the Mac can be, and does make a good IT person's sidekick. I love mine.

I also spend countless hours in Adobe for my degree. I prefer to use Adobe in OSX than on Windows. Just because I like it better, it's my opinion. I like resource management on OSX, even better than W7. W7 is the bomb though!

People that compare, and I agree with you guys on this, Macs and Pc's really don't make sense. They are two different products. Apples and oranges so to speak. Both edible, but both taste entirely different. Although the Apple can masquerade as an orange if you want and taste as good sometimes.

Just my opinions. Macs are still as good as ever. While the latest revisions are not ... earth shattering for Spec' Monkeys, they are in fact good upgrades for OSX.

If you want to game, get a pc.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
You've got a point there, although the most common buyers for these machines were via the Education discount for students, teachers, and schools, etc. So the real price for many was the education price. That is why it is disappointing that the education discount on the new Macbook is so minimal.

That right there is a very valid point. If Apple has anyone trolling the threads, please take note. Your student discounts really don't cater to poor students : ). Most college kids have a tough time with money and only 100$ off... isn't too great. My Dell Student Discount gets me, on some models, up to 400$ off! Just a thought Apple..

kuykee

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
Pathetic

dont believe this anymore ~ i love apple, i want them to mind control my brain

Last edited:

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
This is pathetic. It is May 2010. All Macbooks and Macbook Pros should come with 4GB RAM and 500GB hard drives as entry level standards. Apple is conning people into buying their style and deliberately giving them less substance so that they can please their shareholders. Make a good computer, not just a good consumable.

All MBPs do come with 4GB.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
That's the point.

:confused:The statement as he wrote it wasn't wrong. You sounded like you were correcting him. He believes that 4 GB of RAM (and 500 GB HDs) should be the standard across all Apple laptops, and at the moment that is not the case.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
:confused:The statement as he wrote it wasn't wrong. You sounded like you were correcting him. He believes that 4 GB of RAM (and 500 GB HDs) should be the standard across all Apple laptops, and at the moment that is not the case.

That's also what I was saying. Depends what the emphasis is on in his sentence. If it is on All, then it makes sense. If it is on and then it doesn't make any sense because then he is emphasizing that MBPs don't have 4GB while the MB does.

It should read either: All MBs and MBPs should come... OR All MBPs and MBs should come...

But either way, I knew what he meant.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Top sellers apple online store

Is it the iMac or MacBook top sellers always?

i think with this MBP and MB 13" apple able to convince buyers to pay more and go and get MBP 13"

am I right or wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.