macOS 10.12 Sierra Unsupported Macs Thread

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by redheeler, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. RumorzGuy macrumors 6502

RumorzGuy

Blasphemer! Away with you! :)

Not exactly sure what that means, but I'll check it out. To be honest, I haven't tried any of his methods or tools, I suppose because I am already comfortable with using dosdude1's tools, which have worked well for me. As they say, don't change horses in the middle of the stream, and if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. :)

PS: Okay, now I am going to be lazy as well . . . Exactly how do I access this "enterprise-like distribution system"?

2. d4gli macrumors member

d4gli

Holy **** @foxlet - THAAAANKS! AMAZING!

3. RumorzGuy macrumors 6502

RumorzGuy

Hello again foxlet. I am a little late coming to the show . . . well at least to your particular show -- so I am wondering if you could explain to me exactly how these two downloaded 5.4 MB files are supposed to be used.

I am assuming that they need to be installed somewhere on my system . . . although the file names themselves look just like catalog names that we would type in the Terminal to change our catalog with Software Update.

Also, can you please take a moment to compare and explain the differences between your approach and dosdude1's approach, and the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I have been using dosdude1's patch tools since the start, and they have worked well for me. I would not want to switch to your system unless there is some unique advantage. Considering all of the trouble so many of us have been through just to get Sierra working properly on our unsupported machines, personally, I am not too interested in installing point betas on my system. I am thinking of sticking with public point releases only.

Would you happen to have a web page where your approach is more easily explained?

Thanks!

4. Nossie macrumors newbie

for those running this on an old mac mini, has the ethernet port suddenly stopped working?

5. Speed38 macrumors newbie

Speed38

Has anyone on this thread has successfully installed Sierra on their early 2009 iMac9.1, I'd be greatly beholden if they'd respond to this post. I'm probably the oldest dude posting on this list (77) but I think I can follow these instructions. Would appreciate knowing if any of you younger and sharper guys have succeeded.

Many thanks.

Bob
    ------------
    iMac, 2009, OS 10.11.6
    rMacBook Pro, 2013, Sierra
    iPhone 6, iOS 10.0.1
    iPad Mini, (Wi-Fi/Cell) 2012, iOS 9.3.3

6. RumorzGuy macrumors 6502

RumorzGuy

Indeed I have, Bob. But there were some issues afterwards. You may want to see my message here.

BTW, I am not much younger or sharper . . . well, at least not as young as most as the other guys and gals posting here. :)

7. harlleysathler macrumors member

The suggested Atheros AR5BXB72 WiFi card has bluetooth integrated o it? My Broadcom don't work and I can find the atheros one at a good price, but I know that in Mac mini 3,1 the bluetooth is integrated in the wifi card.

The Atheros AR5BXB72 card I found was from a MacBook.

Thanks you for attention and sorry to bother you.

8. Speed38 macrumors newbie

Speed38

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I don't have Virtual Box installed so no problem there. Very impressed that you figured out what the problem was and how to solve it.

9. RumorzGuy macrumors 6502

RumorzGuy

You are welcome, my friend.

Actually, if you re-read point #11 in that post, you will see that I was not actually the one to pinpoint the problem. It was another user named "brunsik". I simply did what he did, but took it a step further by totally removing VirtualBox from my hard drive.

If you need any help, or have any questions, please let me know. It should be easy, being as we both have the same machines.

Whatever you do, go slow, and backup your entire internal hard drive first to an external hard drive. I use Carbon Copy Cloner for this purpose.

10. Czo macrumors regular

Argh, you have lots of extra kexts. Any of that can cause that panic. First remove 3rd party kexts for USB HID devices (mouse/keyboard/joystick/wheel/etc) and if it's not fix that problem, remove all 3rd party kexts. Do a clean install to another drive, and replace Extensions folder (this remove all non standard kexts). One (or more) of your kext are not compatible with Sierra. This bug is not caused by the patched installer, and can occur on a supported mac also. All of your kexts are compatible with Sierra? Have you checked it before the install?

ps. start with usboverride.kext and then huawei modem kexts, and then GenericUSBXHCI.

11. RumorzGuy macrumors 6502

RumorzGuy

Oh man . . . another kext issue. :(

That is why I decided to just dump VirtualBox in its entirety. I just didn't feel like taking the time to try to figure out which one or ones were killing my iSight camera. I hope he figures it out. It can be very frustrating.

12. KernkraftX360 macrumors newbie

KernkraftX360

I'm confused, which patch should I choose? Mac Pro 2008 3,1 or the mac book pro mid 09 that I should choose during the post-install process? Since I will be using the volume on a mac pro, but I'm doing the update process through a macbook pro :S

Sorry for asking too many questions :p

13. RumorzGuy macrumors 6502

RumorzGuy

Ask, and ye shall receive, and dosdude1 is definitely one of the Mac gurus here who can correctly answer your questions. You can also donate to his cause if you are feeling guilty of asking too many questions. :)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2016 ---
    "macOS could not be installed on your computer"

For those of you who are still having problems installing macOS Sierra on your unsupported machines, if you are receiving the above error message, according to what I read in another thread, one potential cause for this error is that you may have third party memory chips installed on your machine which the installer does not like when it performs a check.

If you purchased and installed third party memory chips since you first bought your Mac, remove them, and reinstall the original memory chips that came with your Mac. Then try installing Sierra again. You may possibly get better results.

14. Speed38 macrumors newbie

Speed38

If I may trouble you with another question: have you noticed any performance hit running Sierra on your iMac?

I am running 10.11.6 now and startup times and a few other things are slow, but I can live with that.

Finally, I use CCC and have it set for an automatic cloning of my internal HD each night.

15. RumorzGuy macrumors 6502

RumorzGuy

No, not really. I'd say it runs about the same.

It is really hard to gauge on a machine this old. Of course, as you know, performance hits can depend on a lot of different factors, such as the age of the machine, how much memory you have, how much free space you have on your hard drive, how many apps you are running concurrently on your machine, etc.

Given that our machines are almost eight years old, some degradation in performance is to be expected.

If you want to look at it from a more positive perspective, think back a decade or two or more, when you first started using Macs. Now consider the speeds we had back then, and compare it to what we have now. I started out on a Mac SE.

We've come a long way, baby! :)

I would still perform a full backup right before you are going to install macOS Sierra. That way you have the very freshest data possible.

16. pkouame macrumors regular

pkouame

Ok. Just woke up and the café is kicking in.
    Look at my previous replies to @foxlet and you'll get the magical incantation (three commands) that got me there. I used the link to the 10.12.1 seed though, so not recommended for all. If you're interested PM and I'll share the developer release notes.

PS: Mac SE. Hmmm had one of those too. Kick myself for not keeping those old units. Museum showcases...

17. RumorzGuy macrumors 6502

RumorzGuy

I am assuming you saw my message #2953 above. As I note there, I clicked on those two links and download two catalog files which are each 5.4 MB in size. I am just wondering what to do with them.

I am hoping that foxlet will respond to #2953 when he gets a chance, because I am not really interested in changing my current installation method -- dosdude1's patches -- unless foxlet convinces me that there is a strong reason to do so.

Also, as you already know, I am really not interested in developer betas. I've been through enough recently already. :)

18. pkouame macrumors regular

pkouame

To all those wondering how they can update their minty fresh Sierra for the foreseeable future:

@foxlet 's links can complement the @dosdude1 Sierra update exploit you just used to install the full Sierra on your machines. It provides an alternate seamless way to update Sierra now, and in the future. As if you are running on a supported platform. This is a viable solution to all those wondering how they will get their App Store updates after installing their patched Sierra. It's another clean way of getting "official" signed packages installed. I have personally used and tested it many times to keep my patched Sierra macPro 3,1 up to date. No additional "incremental" patching is required. I am writing this on an updated 10.12.1 beta.

see ---> #2939 for @foxlet's announcement. The AUS lives.

see ---> #2943 for my experience, instructions and snaps on how to best use the new service

NOTE 1: There are two links. One for seeds and another for regular releases. Read #2939 carefully.

NOTE 2
    : Directly clicking on @foxlet 's links may either download or just list @foxlet 's "AUS" catalog(s). This is usable for those who want to manually control the update process. There are some posts about that sprinkled around here. I may have addressed this myself a while ago, but don't remember. Not very user friendly for most.

NOTE 3: These changes to your local catalog can be reverted by simply issuing a
    Code:
    $softwareupdate --clear-catalog
    It will "reset" your machine to the "official" catalog (in which case our unsupported machines go silent)

For more help with the softwareupdate terminal command...

Code:
    $softwareupdate --help

PS: softwareupdate is not a hack. It's Apple's official command line utility interface to the MAS. Sort of like what github "mas" command line utility does (as reported earlier) to help us download Sierra full installers on unsupported machines. Search this thread or Google and you'll learn a lot more about it. If interested...

There is a dearth of good step-by-step instructions on this thread. Adding to all the confusion. Hope this helps some of you. As always, back-up , read instructions carefully, ask questions if you're not sure and don't touch if you're not comfortable with the command line.

Enjoy.

19. RumorzGuy macrumors 6502

RumorzGuy

Oh gosh . . . Okay . . . I quickly figured it out when I went back and read what you and foxlet had posted earlier.

I now realize that I don't even need those two catalog files that were downloaded when I clicked on those two links . . . although I am wondering what would happen if I were to place them, say, in my Home folder, and then use a local path in that first command string, instead of his web server URL.

Even if it were to work, there is really no advantage in it, I suppose, being as the App Store would still need to connect to his server in order to actually download the install packages themselves.

I must say though, that after seeing how this works, I can see why you have been raving about it so much. It is obviously a lot easier than dosdude1's patch tools method, if one doesn't mind typing a few commands in the Terminal to get the ball rolling. I mean, oh gosh . . . no patches required? And your unsupported machine recognized? What more can we ask for?

So if I understand this correctly, the way that this works is that after changing Apple's default public catalog to the catalog on foxlet's web server, Software Update is automatically set to check his server for updates, instead of Apple's servers, and if there are updates, to enter them in the App Store app. The updates are then downloaded from his server as well.

So can you verify that this is in fact an automated process, and that those three command strings only need to be entered into the Terminal one time in order to get things started?

I mentioned earlier that I would need some compelling reason to switch from dosdude1's method to foxlet's method. Well, I would say that this ease of use -- without the necessity of us personally applying patches and post installs is a pretty compelling reason to switch.

I bet you just loved reading that last line. :)

In looking at the two methods, I suppose what it really comes down to are two primary issues:

1. Trusting dosdude1 and foxlet to be honest gentlemen who will do nothing to compromise our machines by injecting malicious or dangerous code into their patches.

2. Trusting and hoping that dosdude1 will not tire of updating his patches, and trusting and hoping that foxlet will not tire of updating his catalogs, and keeping the latest builds on his web server.

Yes, I am really thinking this issue through. :)

So now the big, BIG question: Why did you two -- pkouame and foxlet -- have to dangle this new carrot in front of me? Shame on you both! You know that I have been saying all along that I have no interest in installing beta point updates, right? Isn't that what I have been preaching to others here? You know that I am trying to remain firm about this, right? So why are you trying to ruin my reputation? Why, why,why? Are you trying to weaken my resolve? :) :p

What I may do -- just out of curiosity to see how it goes -- is use my current external USB 16A323 installer partition as a destination for a full install of Sierra -- assuming that the 16A323 installer will even let me recognize it from my internal hard drive -- and then see if I can apply the 10.12.1 beta there. I don't dare let the 10.12.1 installer install on my internal hard drive on this machine. Too risky. That is why I just moved the installer packages from /Library/Updates to another location on my hard drive.

BTW, if I wanted to do a manual install, would I need to run all three of those packages in a certain order, or is there one in particular which I should double-click, and then it will automatically run the other two?

Yeah, go ahead and PM me the developer notes for 10.12.1 if there is anything of real interest in them for a non-developer like me.

Thanks.

PS: Looks like we were typing out our messages at the same time, but you beat me to the punch.

Well, I see that you have "officially" become foxlet's PR agent. :p

20. foxlet macrumors regular

foxlet

You have one part wrong, the update binaries still come intact from http://swcdn.apple.com/, not my servers (because that's just too much bandwidth and storage for a project with no budget) and Apple's CDN is used from when you start the download until you install the package and restart. You can check the sucatalog itself by opening it with a text editor.

21. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

I'm probably just going to abandon my software update patch tool project, since this is a much better, more reliable, and more streamlined solution. I'll probably throw together a GUI tool that will allow users to easily apply @foxlet's catalog URL on their systems.

22. morooster macrumors newbie

I would have less of a problem buying a new machine if the new machine was what I needed. The new Mac Pro is not a good replacement for the old ones, IMO. The old ones offered tons of *internal* expansion possibilities, the new ones do not. If I had to pull all the stuff I have inside my old Mac Pro out and put it on my desk and attach via cables to to USB or thunderbolt or whatever -- it would be a horrendous mess. The current pro is more like a pumped-up mini -- what you bought is what you got. Bring back a *pro* Mac Pro and I might be more likely to pony up the dollars.

23. RumorzGuy macrumors 6502

RumorzGuy

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I assumed that you download them yourself from Apple, and then actually host them on your own server, because in the App Store app, during the download, it shows your server as the source. I imagine though that that is just because that is where the catalog is located.

BTW, would my idea of placing the catalogs in my Home folder work, or would I have to place them somewhere on my own web server and then use that path? Or neither?

And job well done, BTW. You have definitely made this so much easier for all of us. :)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2016 ---
    Well, even if you take that route, I am sure you know that many of us here truly appreciate all of the hard work that you put into your efforts before foxlet came along with an even better solution, so kudos to you, dosdude1. :)

24. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

I found the plist that stores the catalog URL, so I'll be able to add it to my post-install patch tool, so no secondary software will be needed.

25. pkouame macrumors regular

pkouame

Glad this got your goat :) It is exciting. That's why I deem it worthy of attention.

I want to reiterate though - At the moment, this is can be viewed as a complementary tool to @dosdude1's patcher(s). Of relevance after a full patched install. Just another thing to put in the tool bag. Some can and will opt to continue with the @dosdude1 's incremental patch downloader/installer. I personally just find this easier (as long as it stays up!). Your mileage will vary. This is a neutral post.

You asked about automatic updates: short answer YES.

Once you set the catalog using softwareupdate, your machine should get its updates auto-magically, like we are used to on supported macs. This has worked for me in the past. Now, there have been reported cases (on this thread) where updates weren't triggered automatically even after switching catalogs. But imho, this is a very well known and documented Apple use case failure. Even with the regular MAS catalogs: tons of complaints on Apple forums for supported users going back years. So it can be glitchy and I suspect there may be a few with @foxlet's links too. But the good news is that --clear-catalog generally works. So you're never stuck in an unsupported configuration. You'll find lots on the web about this.

Have I tested or received an "automatic" update (without issuing additional commands in terminal) yet ?: short answer NO.

Since, to my knowledge, Apple hasn't pushed out any significant Sierra updates (except 10.12.1 developer beta) yet. I tried the second "10.12 production" catalog and got nothing. But I have confirmed that it worked for the previews. The command line isn't too painful though. The first catalog reset command should really only be invoked once. While set to a new catalog, just --list is necessary to manually trigger local updates.

Can we trust these downloads?: inmho YES.

Not that I didn't trust @foxlet 's links :rolleyes:, but the first I did a while back was read the actual catalog entries and compare them against official ones etc...You'll find that official Apple content delivery networks are used. (open the catalogs in a any text editor or browser)

Only side effect of resetting catalogs:

Switching between catalog links can be confusing if you don't remember what you're pointing to anymore. In our case, there will be three viable routes/catalogs :
    • - default (out-of-the-box or after --clear-catalog. Or "dark" our updates will be silent)
    • - 10.12.seed (the first @foxlet AUS link for previews and pre-release stuff)
    • - 10.12 proper (the second @foxlet AUS link for final updates)
    This command is a way to find out where you're pointing to

which outputs...(my current settings)

I'm sure (and hope) @foxlet has something helpful to add, if he hasn't already.

Enjoy.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.