macOS 10.12 Sierra Unsupported Macs Thread

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by redheeler, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. RumorzGuy, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016

RumorzGuy macrumors 6502

RumorzGuy

Oh, I agree. I have been a Mac user for 26 years now, so I have watched the evolution of desktop Macs. I have seen what has been ripped out, squeezed together, smashed, flattened, etc., which guarantees that these modern machines will wear out more quickly.

Let's be honest. All manufacturers -- computers or otherwise -- purposely make their products with a definite life span in mind. They are purposely made to wear out, so that we are forced to purchase a new one. This is not conspiracy theory, it is fact. Just look at how tough Apple computers used to be made two decades ago. Look at how cars were built fifty years ago. Things were made to last a lot longer back then. Sadly, greed has cheapened everything.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2016 ---
    No goats here, or cows, or horses . . . but man, you should hear the frog chorus late at night just outside my window. I find it quite entertaining. Oddly enough, I don't hear it right now. I wonder if the mating season has ended so abruptly. :)

Oh, I wasn't aware of this point. Are you saying that a person must have a patched version of Sierra already installed on theirr system before they can use foxlet's AUS? In other words, someone cannot use this for an initial install of Sierra on their machine, say from El Capitan?

Excellent! :)

Yes, I have been familiar with this terminal command for a while now. Very useful indeed.

Okay, just to clarify what you are saying for everyone here, "--list" only needs to be used more than once, if you happen to change from one catalog to another, correct?

Now, are you just referring to foxlet's catalogs? Or when we switch back to one of Apple's catalogs as well? I have never used it with any of Apple's catalogs.

Oh, I agree. I mentioned it as just a point for everyone to consider when making their decision. Personally, I would not be using either of their tools, or donating, if I did not trust them. :)

Very useful. I wasn't familiar with that command. Thanks!

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.

2. pkouame macrumors regular

pkouame

@RumorzGuy

Yes. It just solves the Apple future incremental (maybe combo also) patches issue. Although I believe @foxlet (has once and) may be hard at work providing an alternate full solution. ;) I don't think this supports full releases. But we're done with that right? The El Cap links are different. There are sites that provide similar Apple catalog links for their previous OSes.

--list can be used any time to get the most current refresh for your current catalog. It is safe and non-destructive, you can repeatedly issue this command at will. It's akin to refreshing updates and purchases in the MAS Apple GUI app. If and when you do decide to update your system via the standard Mac App Store GUI for example, subsequent lists will output either nothing (You're up-to-date - all is well - Bob's your Uncle) or whatever's left in your goodie bag. A catalog only needs to be set or reset once in a while.

Hope this is clear.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2016 ---
    First of all, don't abandon anything! You da MAN on this thread!

IMHO, you have two utilities one to patch the full installer and another to patch updates. The former will always be sorely needed by some. The second needs to live just in case @foxlet's route glitches out or whatever else happens down the line. Belts and suspenders. Now I can't speak to the time and effort you have spent on this project must be a strain...that's why some of us provide some level of second tier support...just basking in your light ;)

As always, I offer to help code/maintain/document too.

I speak for everyone here. Keep up the good work.

3. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Ok, that wireless utility setup will actually work, but you need to load the RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext file from El Capitan first. The one I have is dated Dec 7, 2015 and has a version of 5.0.1.25 when I look at the info.plist.

Use kext utility to load it (http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/Kext-Utility.shtml), then reboot (after booting up, the light on the USB adapter should be on). Then install the wireless utility, let it find your network on the Site Survey tab, then highlight your network, click connect and enter your network credentials - after a successful connection, it should have it on the profiles tab.

4. jimithing1 macrumors regular

Got my 2008 Mac Pro up and running and everything is working fine, minus Migration Assistant changing the name of the short name on my home directory and adding a 1 to it. Still need to figure that out. Wifi and Bluetooth work fine thanks to upgrading last year to a more compatible card. Thanks to everyone here including foxlet and dosdude1. My still speedy and reliable Mac Pro lives on for another year or so!

5. KernkraftX360 macrumors newbie

KernkraftX360

What graphics card do you use on your Mac pro 2008? The nvidia web driver that's made for sierra giving me graphics glitches.

6. jimithing1 macrumors regular

ATI HD 5770, no issues so far with it.

7. pkouame macrumors regular

pkouame

Recently upgrade my macPro 3,1 2008 with GTX680 2GB. Works fine with the latest Nvidia Web driver 367.10.10.05b01
    Currently hooked up to old 24 cinema lcd display though, so haven't tried new 4K led displays or the hdmi port.

8. jimithing1 macrumors regular

Anyone have any issues with Maps crashing? It won't open for me after updating.

9. foxlet macrumors regular

foxlet

Maps works fine on this end (16A320 and 16A323)

It would probably help to get a copy of the Error Report generated by OS X when the app crashes (Report -> Show More Details -> Select All and Copy)

10. Pinarek macrumors member

Pinarek

foxlet Thank you for this tip with Terminalcommand for Catalogupdate.

Immediately came the update for Beta 1 and I was able to install, as one would expect under normal were supporting Macs. Hopefully it continues to function even when Beta2 or 3 etc. come. And the good thing is, you need to patch dosdude1 not run.

Nevertheless, I would be interested how an update of the file: macOSUpd10.12.1.pkg that is indeed available in some Forums download, how to install this file?

11. jimithing1 macrumors regular

Strange, just did a restart and it is working fine now.

12. pkouame macrumors regular

pkouame

I would also add to my previous response ...
    Designing a back end service like AUS to serve periodic and mostly manual requests is entirely different than one that can support being called by a utility, even just a wrapper like you are thinking of. So I would definitely not venture there without discussing it with the developer first. Just a thought. Your are pulling from the alternate mas with github code anyway. I would continue along those lines...

13. Smacky macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I have Sierra installed on a Macbook Pro 5,3 using dosdude's patch tools, however I don't think the ambient light sensor is working because the screen and keyboard brightness don't change under different light conditions.

When I applied the patches I manually ticked the ambient light sensor option, but reading through the thread it seems perhaps this option was designed for a different model. If so, could installing this patch have messed up the operation of my ambient light sensor? And if so, how can I remove this patch?

Cheers!

14. pkouame macrumors regular

pkouame

Ouch! @Smacky ...Everything was going great on my mbp 5,3 until you had to bring this up :).

Never really checked and YES my sensor is down also. Both screen and keyboard seem affected. I think the actual sensor is located on iSight's left (when facing the display of course). I didn't "tick" the ambient light sensor option though. The keyboard controls for both display and keyboard brightness work...thank god. You're thinking of removing your Sierra patch? Can't say I ever really checked if it was working on El Cap also. Mine is usually permanently docked next to my development (cMP) system anyway. Hmmm.. let me check what the Apple forums say about this.

15. fischersd, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016

fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

The patcher has an issue. It's not patching the AmbientLightSensorHID.plugin currently. (that's why it's not enabled, despite you selecting that).

Edit: If you look on the USB drive that has the patcher, under /Applications/Utilities/macOS Post Install/Contents/Resources you'll find the AmbientLightSensorHID.plugin

You can use kext utility to apply it to your system.

16. pkouame, Sep 24, 2016

pkouame macrumors regular

pkouame

+ @Smacky

Ok. Got some code compiling on my pro. Will be a very long build. Bored and up for another challenge...

@fischersd
    - has anyone tried manually patching the plugin? Has that been identified as the definitive cause?
    - Anyone on mbp 5,3 with a working ambient sensor ? Would be great to check their kext situation.

I'm scouring apple forums and there are (obviously) tons of ambient sensor issues going back years. Our systems are pretty old though, so kind of a bear figuring out what's relevant.

I think my system shipped with 10.5.7 "Leopard". Don't have the old "disks" anymore. But I can download some "working" kexts from Leopard developer/downloads if necessary.

17. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

It'll be the same plugin for both your systems as well as my 2008 MBP 17" 4,1 (which I just did today with dosdude1's tool v4.0.8).
    I was pestering him on another thread - he found the problem in the post-install tool and has patched the tool.

18. pkouame macrumors regular

pkouame

So you fixed it how? By re-running post install with the option checked? If so, was it the only thing you checked?

Thanks man.

19. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Well, you could...if you wanted to re-build the USB patcher (which is more work).

I just used kext utility http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/Kext-Utility.shtml to re-apply the plug-in.

(copy it from the USB patcher to your desktop, then use kext utility to apply it)

20. aquaticflow, Sep 24, 2016

aquaticflow macrumors member

Anyone know the Mac App Store id to download the El Capitan installer? I want to use the command line mas application, and to make a recovery partition, I need the installer to do it.

I have the El Cap GM installer in my purchases, and that would probably work, but I'd rather have the plain installer.

21. quillo macrumors newbie

I haven't even installed it, I cannot get into the installer, everytime I try to boot from the usb to install Sierra I can't I get the circle with the slash.

I boot like this, as soon as I hear the apple chime I hold option and then select my flash drive.

one flashdrive, 8gb, one 16gb and one 64gb

22. pkouame macrumors regular

pkouame

Cool. That works.

By the way, I think that's a Russian utility. Once made the mistake of actually going to his/her homepage in .ru and got spammed and hacked. Nothing against russians...just make sure you're fully virus protected when going abroad. But I believe mac.softpedia.com does a decent job of filtering things like that.

So ambient light on mbp 5,3 solution...this was too easy ;) Thanks again.

23. foxlet macrumors regular

foxlet

The ID for "Install OS X El Capitan" is 1018109117

24. aquaticflow macrumors member

Thank you!

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.