macOS 10.12 Sierra Unsupported Macs Thread

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by redheeler, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. haroldjohnson macrumors newbie

I've tried it a few times over the years with mixed results. I remember forcing Tiger or Leopard or Snow Leopard on unsupported PowerBook G4s only to find myself disappointed with the results; they were just as you described: crawling. It was a frustrating experience.

But times have changed! Or at least, in the case of my aging MacBook, I'm finding no noticeable performance decrease after getting Sierra running on it. I've had it installed for several months and regularly use it. (It's pretty much my "daily driver", though I also use a mobile PC workstation for tasks such as Photoshop due to its much larger display and improved graphics. That said, I've run Photoshop on the MacBook without performance issues.)

Now keep in mind that my MacBook has an SSD rather than its original HDD; I strongly believe that makes a world of difference when it comes to the performance of these older Macs. I've also upgraded its RAM from its original 2GBs to 6GBs. (Apple originally supported up to 4GBs but 6GBs runs just fine on this Mac.) If I'd been able to install an SSD in my PowerBook G4 back in the aughts (2000s) then maybe -- probably -- I would've have a better experience running unsupported versions of the Mac OS. Nowadays, with SSDs, even if there is a performance hit I haven't noticed it yet. (For anyone's reference, I'm using MacBook Model No. A1181 (13-inch, Mid 2009) maxed out with 6GB 800 MHz DDR2 and upgraded with the aforementioned SSD. It's also known as the "'Core 2 Duo' 2.13 13".)

2. Jack Neill macrumors regular

Jack Neill

That Mac should take 8GB. My 5,2 has 8Gb running fine.

3. MacSoftware3 macrumors newbie

MacSoftware3

I will try that in the coming days when I've got some time, thanks for the suggestion!
    I think I can now :)

4. haroldjohnson macrumors newbie

Is yours a MacBook? (I don't know if all 5,2s are laptops.)

5. Jack Neill macrumors regular

Jack Neill

Sorry, Yes I have a Early 2009 MacBook 5,2. I have 8Gb of ram and a PNY 240 SSD working great with 10.13.4.

6. broadbean macrumors 6502a

Could be due to other bits they could be bothered to support, like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPU etc.

7. EugW, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018

EugW macrumors 68040

EugW

Same GPU, and I believe same Bluetooth and WiFi too for some of those machines. In any case, all three work fine.

Ironically, one of the GPUs in a supported machine causes problems with some specific h.264 files, and the unsupported machines get the same bug with the exact same behaviour.

What really irritates me though is that the Pro machine is not supported, but the non-Pro machine that came out a few months later with the same innards is supported. But it's OK, because since it has the same innards, the Pro machine works fine once Sierra/High Sierra is installed.

8. MacBeast macrumors newbie

Anyone running macOS Server on a machine with this Sierra patch?

I'm thinking that there shouldn't be any issues as Server.app is just another application, or are there some concerns I'm not aware of? This would be on a MacPro3,1.

9. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

Yeah, a friend of mine used his 3,1 on High Sierra with macOS Server, and had no issues.

10. MacBeast macrumors newbie

Good to hear.
    Thanks for creating the patching tool and giving my machine an extended life!

11. haroldjohnson macrumors newbie

Plus all the money Apple, Inc. probably thinks it's going to lose from people like us not buying a more recent Mac due to being able to run the latest software on ~10 year old Macs. (In my case, they would be flat-out wrong in believing this since I haven't been able to afford a new Mac in quite some time and keeping my aging MacBook running enables me to keep from abandoning the platform for something cheaper. Plus they're still getting money from me -- I have purchased iPhones for my girlfriend and myself, iPads for my dad and myself, and am still invested in the Apple ecocystem enough to be subscribed to services including iCloud and Apple Music. Plus my intent is to learn programming for Apple devices, and though I'm currently still able to do so thanks to being able to run Xcode on an unsupported Mac, I will be upgrading my system sooner or later in order to be able to continue doing so.)

12. sgtaylor5, May 18, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    Last edited: May 19, 2018 at 8:32 PM

sgtaylor5 macrumors newbie

sgtaylor5

I /had/ cold feet about this. Long story short, I did install Sierra using DosDude1’s Patch Installer, and it worked great - including the 10.12.6 Update and the latest Security Update. No intervention needed; SIP looks like it’s still installed, even.

Geniuses and Wizards did this! I can’t thank all of you enough for all of your hard work and dedication!

13. haroldjohnson macrumors newbie

I agree! Glad to hear about your success!

14. sgtaylor5 macrumors newbie

sgtaylor5

It's running well enough that I did away with the separate Time Machine partition I made just for Sierra and let TM rebackup on the original partition, with my extended history on it.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.