macOS 10.12 Sierra Unsupported Macs Thread

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by redheeler, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

2. sirNemanjapro macrumors newbie

+1

I'm running High Sierra on Mac mini Late 2009 and all I am missing is WiFi. I would love to have it working if possible.

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 10.20.13 PM.png

3. broadbean macrumors 6502a

What’s performance like? No Wi-Fi could be a deal breaker otherwise.

4. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

5. sirNemanjapro macrumors newbie

Actually not really. The mini is running like hell, the 8 GB of RAM and 250 GB SSD are more than enough to run High Sierra smoothly.
    Also, a router is right next to the mini, so having a LAN cable connection worked out just fine. I was just wondering, from an enthusiast point of view that this is something that can be researched and fixed.

Thank you!

6. jbarley, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

Just installed the latest round of system updates from the App Store, (Sec update 2018-004, itunes and safari) on my MacPro 3,1 running Sierra,
    everything appeared to go normally and the system is up and running just fine.
    Plus Nvidia found a new web driver right away which was unexpected but welcome just the same, (usually have to wait a few days)
    Sweet!!!
    edit: just noticed that somewhere during this update my custom Finder Toolbar settings were reset back to the defaults. Not a big deal, just never had it happen before.

7. KernkraftX360 macrumors member

KernkraftX360

MacBook Pro Mid 2010 updated to 10.13.6 but wifi is not available. Any other work around?

8. bc0508 macrumors newbie

Install on Mac Pro Early 2008 Thank you @dosdude1 for making the patch.

9. thestenz macrumors member

thestenz

Does anyone know which exact WiFi car works in the 2009 Mac Mini? Thanks in advance!

10. mvernail macrumors newbie

I installed the latest beta version mojave 10.14 Beta (18A347e) on my Macbook pro early 2011 and the sound stopped working (on previous beta this was still working). I did ran the post installation app to install all required latest patches.
    No audio output devices show op in audio settings (see attached schreenshot). Any advice on how to solve?
    Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 11.39.34 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 11.41.23 AM.png

11. eexodus macrumors newbie

Does anyone have this working on an Xserve 3,1 2009 with an Apple first-party SSD? When the installer starts I immediately get the error "Unable to unmount volume for repair" and the only option is to Restart. You can't unmount the SSD JHFS+ partition in Disk Utility because it says its in use, but you can force it to unmount via CLI. However once unmounted via CLI the installer then doesn't let you select the SSD as the install destination because it thinks there isn't enough space.

I figure this might be related to APFS so I did try converting the disk to APFS before installation but the patched bootable USB doesn't have the diskutil apfs create command. I'm guessing this isn't a working command until after installation.

I could possibly nuke the disk with a clean JHFS+ partition but I'd rather not do that since this Xserve is still in use and a large amount of downtime isn't an option. If it doesn't let me format the SSD it would become even a bigger issue. I was hoping to do a straight upgrade not wipe and reinstall.

The patcher works great with hard drives, but it seems like my first-party Apple SSD is causing it to fail?

12. TimothyR734 macrumors 6502a

TimothyR734

if you are using macOS Sierra APFS was not implemented it was just a preview to full take advantage of APFS you would have upgrade to macOS High Sierra but that mean you would have erase your ssd and format it to APFS for HFS is the better option I tried APFS by looking for ways online to covert followed the instructions to the T but it still wiped my hdd
    --- Post Merged, Aug 14, 2018 ---
    you might want to post this the MacOS Mojave for unsupported Macs
    you might try looking on eBay
    you might check out macOS High Sierra for unsupported Macs

13. Kovacs96 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Aug 27, 2018 ---
    My MacBook Pro (Early 2009) Model Identifier is 5,2 according to your list looks like I should be OK. I just updated the hard drive to a 1TB drive (which makes it feel like a new machine!) and would love to upgrade to Sierra.

I'm a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to these things, anyone want to build my confidence on moving forward with this endeavor?

14. MobiusStrip macrumors regular

Hi all. Just updated my 2007 20" iMac with a T9500 CPU and new Wi-Fi card and blank SSD.

Wanted to test it, so I booted off the Snow Leopard DVD and it said it couldn't be installed on this Mac. Anyone know why? It would've run on the stock configuration.

15. karesake macrumors member

No Camera and no Funktion Keys since 10.13.6 - any Solutions ?

MacBook 5,2 White (2009)

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.