Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
I've encountered a problem switching startup drives.

I have an external SSD formatted as APFS with High Sierra which will become my regular boot drive once I'm ready to migrate fully to HS.

I have a external HDD which has media storage and will be a local bootable backup of HS eventually. For now it is still Sierra.

If I restart from the SSD/High Sierra it boots up quickly (YAY!) and I can, as I wish, boot into either HS or Sierra.

However on the Sierra HDD if I restart from Apple menu the screen just goes dark, the cursor is still there and moveable, but it remains that way for 30+ mins (after this time in my first test I gave up and powered off). On subsequent occasions the screen again does dark, cursor moveable, but otherwise useless until I power off.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
Upgraded on Monday and I've run into some small bugs already:
  • At one point when I tried to empty the Trash, it created an extra prompt window that I couldn't close; I had to restart the Finder to get it to go away.
  • External drives aren't showing up in the sidebar for some reason. They still mount properly and everything but they just don't appear as a selection in the Devices section.
  • This is the first time I've ever come across this in macOS, the media transport keys sometimes don't work. Pretty annoying considering how often I listen to music so I hope this one gets fixed soon.

Reactions: jmd.au

elcros

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
This is a Wiki, so anyone can edit it and add bugs and/or bug fixes.

10.13 DP1
-------------------------------------------------------
Bugs:
  • System takes longer to boot (rMBP 2015)
  • Samba connections broken (extremely slow)
  • Attempts to create time machine backup fails, no backups possible
  • Can't disable Time Machine local snapshots (via terminal)
  • Can't hide login items in system preferences
  • Problems with network (HTTP; sometimes webpages load very slowly)
  • random restarts (Mac Pro, 2013)
  • slow UI animations (rMBP 2013, 13")
  • „telnet“ command not present in terminal
  • System hangs when locking screen and resuming it on again
  • reboots when using key shortcut to put to sleep mode
  • high battery drain when in sleep mode
  • Randomly switching color mode when playing movies (for some - not confirmed)
  • after reboot auto brightness is always turned on
  • external display is not detected when it's connected to the device at boot up (for some - not confirmed)
  • Printing fails with "Filter Error". Reinstalling printer did not fix.
  • Safari "download tab" doesn't resize appropriately
  • Mails app crashes frequently
  • zooming pdfs in Safari with touchpad gesture results also in scrolling up
  • Overall system slowness
  • Can’t zoom out of pdf in preview
  • exporting edited pictures in photos might create a corrupted picture
  • iMessages is broken after rolling back Sierra, contacts show as numbers and unable to send iMessages to new contact as says number not registered to iMessage.
  • MacBook (Pro/Air) Battery works, but is not seen. In Powersettings if turned on it closes instantly (probably only 3th party batteries)

Bug fixes:
  • -
10.13 DP2
Bug fixes:
  • UI animations seem to be fast again
  • Can hide login items again
  • Safari "download tab" resizes properly again
  • improved overall system speed
  • zooming out of pdfs in preview works again
  • afp connections seem to be broken now as well (besides samba) (deprecated on

• APFS volumes)
10.13 Public Beta (17A291m)
Bugs:
  • Mail Preference Panes not displaying correctly, only get blank window.
  • Launchpad - cannot delete app after icon starts wiggling when editing Launchpad
  • Auto-Unlock with Apple Watch not functioning. "Mac cannot communicate with Apple Watch"
10.13 Developer Beta 5 (17A330h)
New bugs:
  • Internal trackpad is not recognised in System Preferences (MacBook Mid 2010)
Reoccurring bugs:
  • AVCHD content in browser view in QuickTime cannot be scrolled
Bug fixes:
  • Dock no longer glitches on OpenGL capable only Macs when opening an app that is not pinned to the dock
  • Since the first beta of Sierra 10.12, frame rate of FaceTime video calls has finally been fixed
10.13 Gold Master Candidate (17A362a)
New bugs:
Reoccurring bugs:
  • FaceTime (avconferenced process) crashes with Always on Top mode when entering background app in full-screen
  • iOS 10 devices don't see tabs opened on Macs with Safari 11
Bug fixes:

10.13 Official Release (17A365)
New bugs:
  • Black boot screen with grey progress bar (APFS Encrypted disk, MacBook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2012)
  • When I'm opening folders it's impossible to use them because always flick in the screen (MBP TB2017)
  • System Preferences Trackpad gesture animations don't play (MacBook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2012)
Reoccurring bugs:
Bug fixes:
[doublepost=1506534900][/doublepost]Good afternoon,

Since I updated my MBP retina 2015 to High Sierra, I have since been experiencing that my screen turns into rainbow spots (I attach pictures) when the screen wakes up from sleep mode. This lasts just a second, but keeps me wondering how normal it is or if there is a patch... I haven't drop my laptop of hit it in any way, so i found this to be very strange, anyone has similar issues?

Attachments

• LAPTOP SCREEN BUG.jpg
    LAPTOP SCREEN BUG.jpg
    538.3 KB · Views: 399

crossdog

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
I have seen a strange behavior since upgrading to HS. Anytime I use a menu across any application, after clicking my choice the menu fades in a red hue.

Has anyone else seen this?

Attachments

• Normal Menu.png
    Normal Menu.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Red Menu.png
    Red Menu.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 170

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2016

Since I updated my MBP retina 2015 to High Sierra, I have since been experiencing that my screen turns into rainbow spots (I attach pictures) when the screen wakes up from sleep mode. This lasts just a second, but keeps me wondering how normal it is or if there is a patch... I haven't drop my laptop of hit it in any way, so i found this to be very strange, anyone has similar issues?
Same laptop and same issue, you should report it to apple so they can fix it in the next update :)

Reactions: SRLMJ23

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
  • At one point when I tried to empty the Trash, it created an extra prompt window that I couldn't close; I had to restart the Finder to get it to go away.
  • External drives aren't showing up in the sidebar for some reason. They still mount properly and everything but they just don't appear as a selection in the Devices section.
  • This is the first time I've ever come across this in macOS, the media transport keys sometimes don't work. Pretty annoying considering how often I listen to music so I hope this one gets fixed soon.

I'm seeing the same issue drives. I also see folders in the Finder sometimes not updating even though files have been added.

ceparker27

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
I've got the media one as well. Wouldn't be so bad if my AirPods would actually cooperate, but they've decided to stop working since I changed the default function of double-tapping.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Both my girlfriend and I have 2017 MacBook Pros - 15" base spec, while I have not had any problems with High Sierra on my machine, she constantly has problems with Mail crashing, and the machine waking from sleep after only a few minutes.

Anyone else experiencing problems with the above?

drfunk15

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2010
Issue when creating custom thumbnail preview for movies in finder. It always makes the image square now no matter what size or aspect ratio I use for the image... If anyone can help please let me know

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Installed High Sierra on my 2017 MBP and no issues. Installed it on my 2017 MacBook and although it appeared to install fine, on reboot it wouldn't recognize my password. I typed slowly, one letter at a time. Did this multiple times. Wouldn't allow me to enter system.

Logged in as guest, went to preferences, clicked unlock to make changes (can see my admin account there) and same thing...wouldn't recognize my password. Had one of my coworkers type in my password for me just in case I was having some kind of brain fart. No dice, wouldn't accept it no matter what I did.

Cold boot via CMD+R>Terminal>Resetpassword. Entered my iCloud password, got my auth code on iPhone, successfully reset password. Reboot and login using new password....voila! Back into the MacBook. My Keychain won't work, so it asks me to enter in the OLD password to convert it...and remember this was the password the MacBook would NOT accept after multiple tries post install of High Sierra. Eureka...it accepts it just fine and converts my Keychain.

No idea what the bug is but clearly, something is not working as intended.

amors

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2013
Has anyone restored High Sierra completely from Time Machine? I did not succeed. The process always ends with an error.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
I have seen a strange behavior since upgrading to HS. Anytime I use a menu across any application, after clicking my choice the menu fades in a red hue.

Has anyone else seen this?
Totally! Any application, including macOS intrinsics, "after clicking any menu choice the menu fades in a red hue."

Just as a shot in the dark, I have tried to change the accessibility display preferences to "Differentiate without color" = ON; to no avail.

There are other pesky bugs as well, which affect usability:
  1. the Keychain Access Menu Bar option has been removed! There is no menu bar option under Keychain Access > Preferences > General.
  2. Parallels Desktop for Mac, Versions 12 and 13, suffer from video artifacts when panning to the VM display in full-screen mode.

daneharnett

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
Totally! Any application, including macOS intrinsics, "after clicking any menu choice the menu fades in a red hue."

Just as a shot in the dark, I have tried to change the accessibility display preferences to "Differentiate without color" = ON; to no avail.

There are other pesky bugs as well, which affect usability:
  1. the Keychain Access Menu Bar option has been removed! There is no menu bar option under Keychain Access > Preferences > General.
  2. Parallels Desktop for Mac, Versions 12 and 13, suffer from video artifacts when panning to the VM display in full-screen mode.

I was able to fix the red hue issue by selecting a different Display profile under Color in the Display preferences and then changing back to "Color LCD"

Also disappointed about the Keychain Access Menu Bar option, in the meantime I have to remember CTRL+CMD+Q shortcut for lock screen.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
I was able to fix the red hue issue by selecting a different Display profile under Color in the Display preferences and then changing back to "Color LCD"

Also disappointed about the Keychain Access Menu Bar option, in the meantime I have to remember CTRL+CMD+Q shortcut for lock screen.

<Sigh> It did not work for me.

Procedure:
  1. Created a new Calibrated Color LCD panel (6,500 K) (do not use/have another display at work)
  2. Re-Assigned Color LCD as main display.
  3. Deleted the Calibrated Color LCD.
Test:
  1. Safari
  2. History > "Show ALL History"
drop menu turns PINK!
[WTF?!]
[The new Metal-based underlying display has introduced bugs. Parallels VM displays are unstable and the worst.]

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
In addition to the HS bugs reported above, I have been hit with new/old bugs in Mail.

MAIL:
  1. [NEW] excruciating-slow panning thru a long-list of mailboxes, when moving mail from inbox to target mailbox -- about one second delay as the list scrolls down.
  2. [NEW] gone! the great machine-learning algorithm to preselect the target mailbox does not appear to work anymore.
  3. [OLD] alpha sorting of newly-created mailboxes do not work, as all new mailboxes are appended to the end (this is not new, but reared earlier with the Sierra release -- it has not been fixed.)
All in all, a glaring lack of good QC.

micqo

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Has anyone tested to run first aid on disk Utility?

I tested three times, and every time after the test is runned without any issues, and I will will launch finder my data will disappear. Only empty folders. Reboot will “fix” the issue. Very annoying!

daneharnett

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
<Sigh> It did not work for me.

Procedure:
  1. Created a new Calibrated Color LCD panel (6,500 K) (do not use/have another display at work)
  2. Re-Assigned Color LCD as main display.
  3. Deleted the Calibrated Color LCD.
Test:
  1. Safari
  2. History > "Show ALL History"
drop menu turns PINK!
[WTF?!]
[The new Metal-based underlying display has introduced bugs. Parallels VM displays are unstable and the worst.]

Wow I must've been really tired last night when I tried this, because now this morning the red hue is back (it may not have gone at all)

Sorry for the misinformation

porub

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017

Hi,
I have the exact same problem, really annoying (early 2015 '13 rMBP).

Reactions: SRLMJ23

PokeyBird

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2008
This is a Wiki, so anyone can edit it and add bugs and/or bug fixes.

10.13 DP1
Bugs:
  • System takes longer to boot (rMBP 2015)
  • Samba connections broken (extremely slow)
  • Attempts to create time machine backup fails, no backups possible
  • Can't disable Time Machine local snapshots (via terminal)
  • Can't hide login items in system preferences
  • Problems with network (HTTP; sometimes webpages load very slowly)
  • random restarts (Mac Pro, 2013)
  • slow UI animations (rMBP 2013, 13")
  • „telnet“ command not present in terminal
  • System hangs when locking screen and resuming it on again
  • reboots when using key shortcut to put to sleep mode
  • high battery drain when in sleep mode
  • Randomly switching color mode when playing movies (for some - not confirmed)
  • after reboot auto brightness is always turned on
  • external display is not detected when it's connected to the device at boot up (for some - not confirmed)
  • Printing fails with "Filter Error". Reinstalling printer did not fix.
  • Safari "download tab" doesn't resize appropriately
  • Mails app crashes frequently
  • zooming pdfs in Safari with touchpad gesture results also in scrolling up
  • Overall system slowness
  • Can’t zoom out of pdf in preview
  • exporting edited pictures in photos might create a corrupted picture
  • iMessages is broken after rolling back Sierra, contacts show as numbers and unable to send iMessages to new contact as says number not registered to iMessage.
  • MacBook (Pro/Air) Battery works, but is not seen. In Powersettings if turned on it closes instantly (probably only 3th party batteries)

Bug fixes:
  • -
10.13 DP2
Bug fixes:
  • UI animations seem to be fast again
  • Can hide login items again
  • Safari "download tab" resizes properly again
  • improved overall system speed
  • zooming out of pdfs in preview works again
  • afp connections seem to be broken now as well (besides samba) (deprecated on

• APFS volumes)
10.13 Public Beta (17A291m)
Bugs:
  • Mail Preference Panes not displaying correctly, only get blank window.
  • Launchpad - cannot delete app after icon starts wiggling when editing Launchpad
  • Auto-Unlock with Apple Watch not functioning. "Mac cannot communicate with Apple Watch"
10.13 Developer Beta 5 (17A330h)
New bugs:
Reoccurring bugs:
Bug fixes:
  • Dock no longer glitches on OpenGL capable only Macs when opening an app that is not pinned to the dock
  • Since the first beta of Sierra 10.12, frame rate of FaceTime video calls has finally been fixed
10.13 Gold Master Candidate (17A362a)
New bugs:
Reoccurring bugs:
  • FaceTime (avconferenced process) crashes with Always on Top mode when entering background app in full-screen
  • iOS 10 devices don't see tabs opened on Macs with Safari 11
Bug fixes:

10.13 Official Release (17A365)
New bugs:
  • Black boot screen with grey progress bar (APFS Encrypted disk, MacBook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2012)
  • When I'm opening folders it's impossible to use them because always flick in the screen (MBP TB2017)
  • System Preferences Trackpad gesture animations don't play (MacBook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2012)
  • Slow boot times with TRIM enabled. Disabling TRIM speeds up boot time.
Reoccurring bugs:
Bug fixes:
Quicken
[doublepost=1506653661][/doublepost]Quicken (2015 version) can’t Save data manually or automatically. Doesn’t Save in iCloud or my local hard drive.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Do we need to format Time Machine Backup Disks to the new format to get around the restoring files error? It sounds like we can back up now, but restoring files is an issues for some. I'm just wondering what to expect
Time Machine destination disks must be HFS+. This is because TM uses directory hard links which are not supported by APFS. If you do reformat as APFS, then it will get wiped and reformatted HFS+ when you choose it as TM destination.

Reactions: bryan.cfii

porub

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
My trackpad became unusable. First it just refused to force touch and clicking, then I couldn't do anything else than moving the cursor. (early 2015 '13 rMBP). Rebooting twice seems to solve the problem temporarily. I don't know what stage this software is in, but I didn't download it to test it's bugs, it was available in the App Store. It seems like we are at Windows or something, where peripherals are not supported fully with the system. Ridiculous...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.