Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

LukeWorm

macrumors member
May 8, 2010
France
Thank you! I switched iCloud on for Reminders and yes! there it was. Problem solved.

Problem not solved :-( I deleted all reminders and completed on local, I deleted all reminders and completed on iCloud.com, but now this reminder pops up anyway! Where are these things stored anyway, can I poke some file somewhere?

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Problem not solved :-( I deleted all reminders and completed on local, I deleted all reminders and completed on iCloud.com, but now this reminder pops up anyway! Where are these things stored anyway, can I poke some file somewhere?
LOL! (Sorry.)

Last shot:
1. Create a "NEW" (Empty) Reminder List (on the left pane)
2. Delete the "OLD" "Reminders" default List
3. Rename the "NEW" with whatever you want, prob. "Reminders" as before.

See if that works.
And, no, no clue where the dB lies. And even if one knew, deleting a dB under the covers would have unforeseen consequences, worse than what you are experiencing now.

LukeWorm

macrumors member
May 8, 2010
France
Deleted Reminders list both locally and on iCloud.com, created a new ones called Påminnelser (that's Swedish), renamed them to Reminders. Didn't help. Every hour I get a popup for the event 5 days ago.

Karamelli

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2017
Please try this,

- Download something on internet(maybe zip or pdf file)
- Drag it from downloaded(downloaded on dock) to any folder which located on desktop.
- Try it a few times.
- After a few times, you will see that the folder will not open with clicking. But you can see inside of folder with using terminal.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Deleted Reminders list both locally and on iCloud.com, created a new ones called Påminnelser (that's Swedish), renamed them to Reminders. Didn't help. Every hour I get a popup for the event 5 days ago.
OK. Time to check Dr. Google.

GOTO: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7677001?start=0&tstart=0

It describes a posted solution to your problem (but under Sierra, not High Sierra).

You will need to use "Terminal" app to remove the Calendars directory, like so:
> rm -fdr ~/Library/Calendars

The contents of my Calendars directory show:
097954DB-FC81-414D-BEC5-4EA43BBF4B9D.caldav
2CD0A3E7-17A2-4088-A363-D6B2C02411EF.calendar
3EE4262B-AF6A-42C8-8CAA-7E8E09A61314.calendar
4818311A-1DEF-41DD-909E-B7E4687C8866.calendar
C90DB439-C09E-45A6-830B-9699B983A5D3.calendar
Calendar Cache
Calendar Cache-shm
Calendar Cache-wal
Calendar Sync Changes
Calendar Sync ClientID Conflicts.tmp
Calendars and Reminders 1.11.13 10.53 AM.icbu
Calendars and Reminders 3.24.13 10.11 AM.icbu
E2CED9C7-6BB2-4F3A-AF5D-C58E4296317B.exchange
E5088755-FCE7-4174-9E2C-277693053E31.calendar
Email Cache.plist
F0AC5EB4-0208-46CE-99AF-554175B64F95.group
Incoming
Pending Events

[Pretty drastic if you have not sync'ed your Calendars and Reminders with iCloud, and you care for their contents, like the OP.]

Last edited:

oneplane

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2017
Still having OpenGL/Graphics issues here. 2015 13" rMBP, running anything like a browser with multiple embedded videos or games like Unreal or StarCraft cause the whole system to slow down/lock up. Even the cursor wil stop tracking correctly. Closing all apps will restore to normal functionality in a minute or so, and rebooting works too.

Strange enough, the problem used to be happening only when the display or complete system had gone to sleep, but now it's always there. I can reboot 1000 times and still not have good acceleration. StarCraft 2 can run in OpenGL 2, 4 and Metal modes, and all of them are bad. Unreal Tournament 2004 only does OpenGL 2.x and that's always bad now too on 10.13.1 beta 1.

Reactions: friednoodles

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Still having OpenGL/Graphics issues here. 2015 13" rMBP, running anything like a browser with multiple embedded videos or games like Unreal or StarCraft cause the whole system to slow down/lock up. Even the cursor wil stop tracking correctly. Closing all apps will restore to normal functionality in a minute or so, and rebooting works too.

Strange enough, the problem used to be happening only when the display or complete system had gone to sleep, but now it's always there. I can reboot 1000 times and still not have good acceleration. StarCraft 2 can run in OpenGL 2, 4 and Metal modes, and all of them are bad. Unreal Tournament 2004 only does OpenGL 2.x and that's always bad now too on 10.13.1 beta 1.

Same machine, same problem...except I do not game so I do not know anything about that. I do have the glitch when the display comes back from sleep. I filed a bug report with Apple with a screenshot of what it looks like. It seems our system is the one most effected with this as I have seen at least 5-6 other people who posted about this with the same machine.

:apple:

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014

It's concerning to hear that it's now happening for you even after a restart. I'm having the same problem on a late 2016 15" rMPB (Radeon 460) but it's currently only happening after the MBP has been asleep and a restart still fixes it for me. The thing I experience it with is Guild Wars 2 (which uses OpenGL), and that causes the entire system to lag when the issues is happening as you've described. So for you, it also just happens by having videos running? Is that in Safari or another browser?

I've submitted a radar to Apple - 34677832 - with sysdiagnose dumps while it's happening and after a restart when it's back to normal. The next time it happens I'll try running Firewatch, which uses Metal, and see if it has the same issue (that may make it significantly easier to bring to Apple's attention since they don't seem to care about OpenGL).

Reactions: SRLMJ23

LukeWorm

macrumors member
May 8, 2010
France
OK. Time to check Dr. Google.

GOTO: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7677001?start=0&tstart=0

It describes a posted solution to your problem (but under Sierra, not High Sierra).

You will need to use "Terminal" app to remove the Calendars directory, like so:
> rm -f ~/Library/Calendars

The contents of my Calendars directory show:
097954DB-FC81-414D-BEC5-4EA43BBF4B9D.caldav
2CD0A3E7-17A2-4088-A363-D6B2C02411EF.calendar
3EE4262B-AF6A-42C8-8CAA-7E8E09A61314.calendar
4818311A-1DEF-41DD-909E-B7E4687C8866.calendar
C90DB439-C09E-45A6-830B-9699B983A5D3.calendar
Calendar Cache
Calendar Cache-shm
Calendar Cache-wal
Calendar Sync Changes
Calendar Sync ClientID Conflicts.tmp
Calendars and Reminders 1.11.13 10.53 AM.icbu
Calendars and Reminders 3.24.13 10.11 AM.icbu
E2CED9C7-6BB2-4F3A-AF5D-C58E4296317B.exchange
E5088755-FCE7-4174-9E2C-277693053E31.calendar
Email Cache.plist
F0AC5EB4-0208-46CE-99AF-554175B64F95.group
Incoming
Pending Events

[Pretty drastic if you have not sync'ed your Calendars and Reminders with iCloud, and you care for their contents, like the OP.]

Pretty drastic indeed, but it seems to have finally solved the problem. For the moment. Maybe the ghost reminder will come back to haunt me :)

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
Am I the only one who has noticed that music files have lost their thumbnails (album artwork) from within finder?
Could this be APFS as the upgrade from Sierra caused this so I tried a clean install of HS, same.

SketchyClown

macrumors regular
Am I the only one who has noticed that music files have lost their thumbnails (album artwork) from within finder?
Could this be APFS as the upgrade from Sierra caused this so I tried a clean install of HS, same.

I did a clean install of HS, and I'm on a Fusion Drive with HFS+, and I have noticed the same thing. All my albums are properly tagged using Metadatics instead of iTunes, and under Sierra would show the artwork on the files in the Finder before so doesn't seem to be a APFS issue.

bryan.cfii

macrumors member
May 13, 2011
Iowa City, IA
Time Machine destination disks must be HFS+. This is because TM uses directory hard links which are not supported by APFS. If you do reformat as APFS, then it will get wiped and reformatted HFS+ when you choose it as TM destination.
Thanks for taking the time to explain this!

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
I've submitted a radar to Apple - 34677832 - with sysdiagnose dumps while it's happening and after a restart when it's back to normal. The next time it happens I'll try running Firewatch, which uses Metal, and see if it has the same issue (that may make it significantly easier to bring to Apple's attention since they don't seem to care about OpenGL).

And this morning, after letting the MacBook Pro be asleep long enough that it entered standby, I tried Firewatch and the same thing happens, so I can confirm that it happens with Metal as well. I updated the radar to note this. It would be good if anyone else reporting the problem could mention that radar number so they can see it's more than just one person having the issue.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
I did a clean install of HS, and I'm on a Fusion Drive with HFS+, and I have noticed the same thing. All my albums are properly tagged using Metadatics instead of iTunes, and under Sierra would show the artwork on the files in the Finder before so doesn't seem to be a APFS issue.

Must be a finder issue, it’s quite annnoying imo

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017
My bugs:

• YouTube, Netflix, BBC iPlayer .. causes huge heat and fans
  • Regular "restarted due to a problem" full OS crashes
  • Desktop freezes, pointer freezes, completely unresponsive for about 10 seconds
  • UI graphics glitches like window rendering
This is a brand new macbook pro 2017 13 ntb. Fresh wipe and install from USB of latest macos high sierra.

This is bad. Only windows 3.2/95 used to crash this badly. Really poor for Apple.

My £500 ThinkPad with Linux works better ... In a these regards.

gersonsj

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
HI guys,

I have MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) and I just updated to High Sierra and my internal HD is now READ ONLY, I've tried changing the permissions (get info / sharing and permissions) however when I try to change those to "read & write" it gives me the following error:

"The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission"

I'm the admin (I authenticate, etc) and there are no other accounts, any advice?

Thanks in advance

Gerson

AeroZ

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Estonia
HI guys,

I have MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) and I just updated to High Sierra and my internal HD is now READ ONLY, I've tried changing the permissions (get info / sharing and permissions) however when I try to change those to "read & write" it gives me the following error:

"The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission"

I'm the admin (I authenticate, etc) and there are no other accounts, any advice?

Thanks in advance

Gerson

Boot into recovery, disable SIP and try again.

gh1989

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2017
If anyone has issues with their Safari iCloud tabs from other devices not showing up in High Sierra, uncheck the Safari box in the iCloud preference pane and leave it for a few minutes then re-enable it. Worked for me

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
How I can get rid of this in textedit?
Before updating, I had it plain simple window.

2017-10-02_09.40.04_pm.jpg

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
How I can get rid of this in textedit?

To get rid of it from a current document that's open, go to the Format menu, Text menu, and uncheck Show Ruler.

To make sure it doesn't appear by default on new document windows, go to TextEdit menu, Preferences, uncheck Show Ruler. (unchecking this option only changes the default for new windows and won't remove it from already open windows, which confused the heck out of me the first time I tried it because I thought the option was having no impact)

Reactions: cool11

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
What is up with the folder icons looking like trash on High Sierra?

View attachment 721782
This is from Sierra

View attachment 721781
This is from High Sierra. Notice the bad pixels around the edges that are supposed to blend into the background, but instead they stick out as light colored?

How did they screw that up? They shouldn't have even changed.

EDIT: Same thing happens when using 32x32 icons.

jgerry

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Ditto on my late 2013 RMBP / Geforce 750M 2GB. If I'm watching any video in Google Chrome or doing video conferencing with Skype or Bluejeans or Slack, my machine lags so badly I can't use it. My light video gaming (Minecraft and Kerbal Space Program) also have weird stuttering. I'm going back to Sierra. I wouldn't have upgraded at all but I needed a fresh re-install anyway so I figured I'd give it a try... Bad apple. BAD!

I also have some stuttering from my external USB audio device (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) but to be fair, Sierra has similar problems with USB drivers.

I'm extremely disappointed. What's especially galling: I can run Windows 10 via Boot Camp on an external SSD via USB 3, and while disk benchmarks are about half what my internal SSD gets (400-ish MB/s vs 800-ish MB/s), Win 10 runs extremely smoothly. It makes me think of the OS9 days where we knew the hardware was top-notch yet the OS felt slow and laggy.

RojoPantalon

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
I'm having a weird issue with external monitor settings.
My mac mini (late 2014) is connected to a samsung tv via hdmi. Every time the computer reboots or the screen turns off (occasionally when going in and out of fullscreen video too) the underscan settings reset leaving the picture improperly sized on the screen.
I've searched around and there doesnt seem to be a commonly reported problem. Tried resetting PRAM and permissions but no dice.

Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
My computer (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) will occasionally lock up and freeze while on the current public build of High Sierra and generally it will only be fixed if I force a physical restart from the off button. So, I think that I'm having these graphical issues other people are having in this thread. Interestingly enough, audio still plays despite the computer not being able to be navigated or anything (not even having the mouse move).

This never happened in the previous OS. This is by far the buggiest new OS experience I've ever had since upgrading, this has happened a handful of times since upgrading when the update went live.

I've also noticed that searching through spotlight is extremely delayed and search results aren't coming up as quickly as they were before. By this I mean minutes upon minutes of something that took seconds before. Some results never show up that would before. For example, a file named "Jessica.rtf" would be found before if I searched "Jess", but now it doesn't seem to show up unless I type the exact file name. My computer should be fully indexed by now, over a week later.

It's also worth mentioning that VLC player has to "verify" every file before opening it, and it's coming from the MacOS and not VLC.

Happened to me too. They aren't displaying the art work anymore for me.

So in short, these are the issues that are noteworthy for me about this release:

• Graphical glitches, freezing, and persistent slowdowns while using the computer that results in me having to force a physical shutdown. I have not had this many freezes in my days since using old Windows machines — this inexcusable to crash like this.
  • Spotlight search doesn't seem to cover as many bases as before and takes a longer amount of time.
  • VLC Player doesn't seem to function well with the new OS because every single file needs to be verified by the OS before it opens. Sometimes this takes as long as a minute when it used to open instantly.
  • Artwork attached to music files do not display when in Finder view and on desktops.
There's probably a plethora more of issues but these are ones that have affected me personally.

Last edited:

the3ye

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2013
That's not APFS problem. I'm still on HFS+ and the thumbnails from music files are gone.
And I hate the media keys behavior in Safari

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.