Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ern

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
With 10.13, I always get "WindowServer [ERROR] - Unknown CGXDisplayDevice: 0x41dc9d00" in console. The computer did crash several times. Found the same problem in official forum and got no answer.

My computer is 13' MBP with touchbar 2017. So I guess it's a bug.

gunslinger469

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
With 10.13, I always get "WindowServer [ERROR] - Unknown CGXDisplayDevice: 0x41dc9d00" in console. The computer did crash several times. Found the same problem in official forum and got no answer.

My computer is 13' MBP with touchbar 2017. So I guess it's a bug.

exactly the same thing here on a mid 12' MBP. I also get the lockup/crash and video issues switching spaces with Parallels.

Leep818

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2017
2013 Mac Pro (TRASH CAN)

Installed high Sierra. Performance is great but my list of issues are below.

- Frequent system freezing (especially when using Safari) Requires a hard restart
- Airplay causes system to freeze

I use an external WD My book Pro (thunderbolt) drive as a scratch disk for Photoshop. I notice that when the drive powers down to sleep mode it causes a system crash (or perhaps its something else causing the crash and the drive powers down)

Is anyone else experiencing these random system freezes especially when using Safari?

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
My computer (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) will occasionally lock up and freeze while on the current public build of High Sierra and generally it will only be fixed if I force a physical restart from the off button. So, I think that I'm having these graphical issues other people are having in this thread. Interestingly enough, audio still plays despite the computer not being able to be navigated or anything (not even having the mouse move).

This never happened in the previous OS. This is by far the buggiest new OS experience I've ever had since upgrading, this has happened a handful of times since upgrading when the update went live.

I've also noticed that searching through spotlight is extremely delayed and search results aren't coming up as quickly as they were before. By this I mean minutes upon minutes of something that took seconds before. Some results never show up that would before. For example, a file named "Jessica.rtf" would be found before if I searched "Jess", but now it doesn't seem to show up unless I type the exact file name. My computer should be fully indexed by now, over a week later.

It's also worth mentioning that VLC player has to "verify" every file before opening it, and it's coming from the MacOS and not VLC.

Happened to me too. They aren't displaying the art work anymore for me.

So in short, these are the issues that are noteworthy for me about this release:

• Graphical glitches, freezing, and persistent slowdowns while using the computer that results in me having to force a physical shutdown. I have not had this many freezes in my days since using old Windows machines — this inexcusable to crash like this.
  • Spotlight search doesn't seem to cover as many bases as before and takes a longer amount of time.
  • VLC Player doesn't seem to function well with the new OS because every single file needs to be verified by the OS before it opens. Sometimes this takes as long as a minute when it used to open instantly.
  • Artwork attached to music files do not display when in Finder view and on desktops.
There's probably a plethora more of issues but these are ones that have affected me personally.

I really hope the verified video files is not a part of the new OS!

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
What happened to that vulnerability regarding passwords and third party apps? Any updates to what is going on and/or progress of a patch?

I haven't run any non-Apple apps since reading it, but would like to install Chrome and BTT.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
To get rid of it from a current document that's open, go to the Format menu, Text menu, and uncheck Show Ruler.

To make sure it doesn't appear by default on new document windows, go to TextEdit menu, Preferences, uncheck Show Ruler. (unchecking this option only changes the default for new windows and won't remove it from already open windows, which confused the heck out of me the first time I tried it because I thought the option was having no impact)

2017-10-04_06.56.14_pm.jpg

I did it both. But again, every time I open a word document, it remains the same.
It is not just about showing the ruler. I do not want formatting options to be visible too.
See on screenshot, on the left what is now, and on the right how I want it too be.
How can I do it? (in Sierra it was set-up, now with high sierra textedit somehow reset itself).

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
It is not just about showing the ruler. I do not want formatting options to be visible too.

Oh, I see, you just said "this" in your original post so I assumed you were talking about the ruler. I don't think there's a way to hide the formatting tools now.

Reactions: cool11

bo217

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2014
Atl, Ga
For me, at least Preview now loses all the content of notes annotations when you open a PDF file. Also, if you open any note (only to discover all the content is gone), Preview asks you if you want to save changes when closing the file. If you allow the save, the contents of all the notes are gone for good.
Experienced exactly the same problem. I've submitted my feedback on these to Apple

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
i have been having an issue with my mac mini, and my philips tv connected thru hdmi, everytime it goes to sleep, i have to unplug the hdmi in order for the screen to resize, its getting anoying, tried smc resett as well as nvram, with no luck any others having resizing issues after it wakes from sleep using hdmi?

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
I did a clean install. Boot times have improved....but but... i got a graphical glitch when i did a shut down (broken screen in half)....also I once got blue screen on a restart. Occasionally my MBP 13 without TB entry level gets very hot that never did even on hot summer......sometimes it gets hot while charging. Beachballs on safari have gone I am ok with that. Wake up from sleep is faster than Sierra BUT when i wake it up from Sleep while it was getting charged it take ages to wake up.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
2013 Mac Pro (TRASH CAN)

Installed high Sierra. Performance is great but my list of issues are below.

- Frequent system freezing (especially when using Safari) Requires a hard restart
- Airplay causes system to freeze

I use an external WD My book Pro (thunderbolt) drive as a scratch disk for Photoshop. I notice that when the drive powers down to sleep mode it causes a system crash (or perhaps its something else causing the crash and the drive powers down)

Is anyone else experiencing these random system freezes especially when using Safari?

just upgraded my 2015 MacBook Pro 15" and it is crashing constantly in Safari.

Not trying to do a clean install as I have special encryption software (PGP) and McAfee all setup, plus tons of important work apps.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Does anyone else have annoying bugs in Notes? I looked at the Wiki post on the first page but didn't see anything.

- When text is highlighted and changed with a keyboard command (e.g. Ctrl + B to bold the text), the transformation isn't visible until the text is un-highlighted. So it can be difficult to tell whether or not you've un-bolded or bolded. I think this applies to other text transformations as well.

- When deleting text with a backspace, the text does not appear to be deleted for a few moments. Very confusing when working.

Are these widespread issues, or is it just me?

gedwards

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2017
Not sure if anyone has experienced this. Apologies if it has already been reported in this thread. Fourteen pages is a lot to go through. I noticed a couple of bugs after upgrading my 2012 mac mini to High Sierra.

1. I am using a 55 inch Samsung LED TV as a display. After every reboot I have to adjust the underscan setting.
2. Up and and down direction no longer works on Apple remote. Left, right, menu, and select works.
3. Lots of beachballs. I'm going to reformat, and do a clean install. Hopefully this clears up.

tameware

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2017
Sarasota, FL
Here's a nice one! Files are no longer consistently listed in alphabetical order when viewed by name in Finder windows. I've uploaded two screenshots of the same directory, one from the Finder and one from Terminal. The files are listed in the correct order in the Terminal window. Here are the three of the filenames in plain text if anyone wants to experiment:

0358f9e2-d32c-461c-aedb-c6268476dbfc.mp3
064cc6e5-95e7-4061-872d-2b7632c227d1.mp3
054cca8c-78e6-43ba-97c4-b4f900f3d0a1.mp3

I'm using macOS 10.13 (17A405).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 12.01.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 12.01.33 AM.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 578
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 11.59.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 11.59.20 PM.png
    118.7 KB · Views: 717

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
It keeps changing the order of 'my devices' in the left pane of Finder, all the time!
Unbelievable....
I want firstly the 'Macintosh HD' and then my 'Data'(dmg).
No. I put it in order.
Then after a while, some action in finder, it changes the order rather alphabetically.
What they have done?
Anyone else observed this?

Reactions: djcristi

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
Latest bug... after about 10 seconds of the Today panel being closed, the Calculator widget forgets the last number that was entered and reverts to a totally different number. Infuriating!

It's the same never every time, and even rebooting doesn't fix it.

interstella

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
Latest bug... after about 10 seconds of the Today panel being closed, the Calculator widget forgets the last number that was entered and reverts to a totally different number. Infuriating!

It's the same never every time, and even rebooting doesn't fix it.

Mine alway reverts to 598 on my late 2013 MacBook and 0 on my late 2013 iMac.

Reactions: friednoodles

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
10.13.1 Beta 0(?), Bluetooth works for a couple of hours but then it stops, it does not turn off or disconnect devices, it just changes its status to "Bluetooth: not available" when clicking on the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar. Impossible to turn it on or off in system settings, only a reboot fixes the problem.

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
notice when I open MP4 videos now, quite a few of them the system says "verifying" followed by file name. And even after its verified, when I close it and immediately reopen, again it has to verify. Is this normal? Its opening in Quicktime by default. Never had this prior to High Sierra. This happens when using vlc to view movie

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
I have a couple...

When transferring 1GB+ files to my external drives finder pukes every other time and takes literally 20 minutes per Gig. Bypassing Finder and using a finder alternative app seems to alleviate the issue. But I have yet to find an alternative finder that I can live with yet for daily tasks.

And batch renaming or hiding extension used to work well by right click > rename file > replace text with. But now you can no longer leave the section blank and simply hide the extension. You now have to insert a blank space into the file name in order to get it to work.

Pennypacker83

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2010
Added to the wiki:

Two fingers swipe back/forward not working on Safari on multiple occasions. The swipe animation moves a little, but then reverts back. (MBP 15-inch, Mid-2015)

This has happened on multiple occasions today. Also, horrible lag with Microsoft Word for Mac (2017). It has got to a point where the whole document freezes, and I get the spinning beachball. Unusable when editing large documents. Safari is extremely slow, there is a two-second lag when loading webpages. iTunes (12.7.0.166) lagging when browsing through music library -- usually the album covers might load slowly the first time you browse through them, but after installing High Sierra, the load process is slow continuously. Same applies to the animations when you click on an album to expand it.

I have been a happy Apple user since 2008. Never had any real issues, everything just works. Until now. When I pay thousands of euros for a laptop, I have zero tolerance for these kind of ****ups. High Sierra is clearly a beta-version released months too early to high-paying customers. Very disappointed to see where Apple is going these days. Hopefully they will fix this mess asap.

jeh72

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2016
(2017 MBP 15, Radeon 560)
This issue has been driving me crazy in the past two weeks or so and I wanted to see if anyone else is running into it.

Ever since upgrading to High Sierra (I think), if I leave my MBP asleep for a few hours and come back to it, I can't play any demanding games without getting extremely low performance. I think what is happening is that the Radeon Pro 560 is stuck in a low power mode, because I can still plug in a USB->HDMI dongle and use a second screen, which I believe uses only the dgpu.

I've reformatted and reinstalled macOS from scratch, tried running diagnostics, reset PRAM+SMC, etc. Rebooting the computer *does* fix problem, but I shouldn't have to do that for this thing to work.

I've also tried downgrading to Sierra, but of course I seem to be blocked from installing 10.12.6 even if I reformat the SSD.

"It just works", my a**.

Is anyone else seeing this issue, or do I have some sort of hardware issue?

Reactions: friednoodles

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
Is anyone else seeing this issue, or do I have some sort of hardware issue?

I and others are experiencing exactly the same thing! There are now several posts in this thread about it and I've also seen reports of the same issue on other forums for specific games. It’s especially obvious with games (Metal or OpenGL both impacted) but it also impacts other things like video playback. See my earlier post here - same symptoms and cause, but mine is a late 2016 MBP (Radeon 460):

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...s-and-bug-fixes.2049327/page-11#post-25128862

And this person:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...s-and-bug-fixes.2049327/page-14#post-25155537

I would love if people who are experiencing it could submit a bug report to Apple and reference my existing radar 34677832.

Reactions: jeh72
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.