macOS 10.14 Mojave on Unsupported Macs Thread

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by dosdude1, Jun 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. toru173 macrumors regular

I haven’t been able to get Mojave to install on APFS. It auto-converted a volume on an SD card, and the startosinstall app no longer supports the “—converttoapfs NO” switch. I’ll look into it further when I get home

2. TimothyR734 macrumors 6502a

TimothyR734

could it be possible to make a OpenGL patch that could be installed in the post install options if dosdude makes a macOS Mojave patcher

3. AppleGeek1127 macrumors member

AppleGeek1127

Yep, 10.14!

Attached Files:

4. Deregulated macrumors newbie

Hoping for all the best. Not sure how long these patches usually take to be released but I hope we will get a solution soon. It would be so sad to see my perfectly fine MacBook Pro not get another major update (I really wanted dark mode and the refreshed App Store)

5. iphone2g&3gfan, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018

iphone2g&3gfan macrumors regular

Oh, that's awesome! This is great news, however we don't yet know how the OpenGL code is used.

A good test would be to quickly move AppleIntelKBLGraphicsMTLDriver.kext to a backup folder outside S/L/E and to then run a "sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel" however I understand if you are not willing to go that far.

But it would be a definitive test that would immediately prove or disprove the OpenGL UI acceleration theory. It could also tell us how apps work without Metal but with OpenGL: perhaps if the UI doesn't have OpenGL code, the apps still get OpenGL acceleration.

If you use Chrome, it would work, as without OpenGL acceleration (no metal yet) Chrome will act up badly and will glitch a lot. If you do this test, in chrome open chrome://gpu and screenshot before the MTLDriver removal and after the MTLDriver removal (screenshot it after the kextcache update and a full reboot)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2018 ---
    Yeah, it's still an open question as to how we will tackle this. I'm crowdsourcing info because I myself have Linux only (ext4) covering my entire SSD and I have long-since removed the APFS.efi and all macOS related stuff. I assure you though that I am trying to see what can be done, to the limits of my capabilities (which end at advanced disassembly of binaries and writing new drivers) but I do know some disassembly and I've ported old kexts many times before.

6. rmendez011 macrumors newbie

rmendez011

Damn

So I'm even worse off then people with Nvidia drivers?

7. AppleGeek1127, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018

AppleGeek1127 macrumors member

AppleGeek1127

I can't move the file by holding Command and dragging and dropping or by using "sudo mv." I can only copy it. Is there any other way?

Edit: There is no AppleIntelKBLGraphicsMTLDriver.kext, it's a .bundle
    Probably not a good thing.

8. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

You must disable "System Integrity Protection" (SIP) I believe in order to mess with anything inside the "System" folder (Hmmm I miss the good ole' days of PPC Mac's when you can destroy your system with an accidental command. :p )

9. iphone2g&3gfan macrumors regular

Theoretically, yes :( as currently it is still possible that the Nvidia Web Drivers have some metal support for the older cards... We know for sure that there will be updated Web Drivers, we just don't know how much hardware they will cover. Definitely Maxwell and Pascal, Kepler nearly 100% (but already in native drivers), Fermi maybe, Tesla possibly. I don't want to sugarcoat it too much. We can still try the kextload and the hope that WindowServer has an OpenGL UI mode and that the kexts load.
    Yup. When booting, hold Command-R. Once booted, enter Utilities *at top* and terminal. Then, 'csrutil disable'. Don't worry, many hundreds of people will thank you for this one time thing :)

Oh, the good ole' days of doing: sudo rm -rf /

Do NOT, EVER run that command. EVER. No exceptions.

10. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

If the UI doesn’t have OpenGL acceleration, I can’t imagine many of the native apps working well either. Maps, QuickTime, DVD Player, and Photos will definitely be empty canvases.

11. AppleGeek1127 macrumors member

AppleGeek1127

I'm an idiot haha, I have SIP disabled on my Hackintosh but not this machine. Hold on.

12. rmendez011 macrumors newbie

rmendez011

Ffs, I knew I should have spent more money on the other used 2012 MacBook Pro.... Oh well, too late now

13. iphone2g&3gfan macrumors regular

Right, there would be a definite disconnect between the UI and Apps. But, the hope is that even if WindowServer doesn't provide an OpenGL accelerated UI, we know that WindowServer loaded the GLDriver.bundle so the individual apps might still be accelerated and usable.

14. AppleGeek1127 macrumors member

AppleGeek1127

There's the output of the command with the AppleIntelKBLGraphicsMTLDriver.bundle on my desktop. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Attached Files:

15. visberry macrumors regular

visberry

Sorry, I am a newbie, so are we moving in the right direction?

16. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

Now reboot. (make sure the kext has been removed from S/L/E)

[​IMG]

17. visberry macrumors regular

visberry

My base model 2010 MacBook Pro? (13")

18. iphone2g&3gfan macrumors regular

Yup.
    That's an Nvidia 320m, so you have the Web Driver chance + the OpenGL WindowServer/Apps chance.

19. Deregulated macrumors newbie

Exactly my thoughts as well.
    What are my chances of support on a Late 2011 MacBook Pro (Intel HD Graphics 3000 512mb)?

20. iphone2g&3gfan macrumors regular

For future reference, it's easier for me to provide specifics on what we have on a certain Mac model if you can provide the graphics card for it. That saves me a google, and it makes it easier for people reading this for the first time. I hope I can get the wikipost on the front started, but I don't have the permission...

21. AppleGeek1127 macrumors member

AppleGeek1127

That’s what I get after rebooting. It’s been a few minutes.

Attached Files:

22. iphone2g&3gfan macrumors regular

We've had one person attempt to kextload the kexts without apparent success. We've had many developments since then about the methodology and procedure to test for acceleration, but your current chance is:
    • WindowServer has OpenGL code, and we can load the corresponding kext + GLDriver and get a fully functional desktop.
    I'll try to explain this in the wikipost, later.
    Command-V at boot, so we can see what's really going on behind the Apple logo?

23. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

Reboot, and hold the "Command" and "V" keys while booting to enable verbose mode (you can let go after text starts crawling). It should tell us where it gets hanged up (probably right after loading Login UI)

24. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

I’ll definitely have to download macOS Mojave tomorrow and start testing on MBP Mid 2010 (GeForce 320M). It’s hard keeping up with forum conversations.
    Try this App: https://mactracker.ca/

25. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

MacTracker is probably one the first 5 apps I always install on MacOS. :p
    It is an essential tool for collectors like me (I can't fit all my machines in my signature!!!).

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.