Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Nice. I watched the video you posted as well, and things do seem snappier. VLC and Maps never worked with Yosemite or El Cap on the 4,1 either. I use Movist on those installs and it works great. I haven't tested mkv files, though.

I'm going to be attempting an install today. For your installs, you just clone a working supported Mojave install, replace the prelinked kernel with yours, replace the kexts, rebuild the kext cache, and go? Or are there steps I'm missing?
No, that´s basically it.
Wait: You´d better take a pre-patched (dosdude1 patcher) working install (from 10.14.3 upwards), as there are other obstacles (like the telemetry plugin) that are not served by my kext findings alone!

Reactions: jackluke

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
No, that´s basically it.
Wait: You´d better take a pre-patched (dosdude1 patcher) working install (from 10.14.3 upwards), as there are other obstacles (like the telemetry plugin) that are not served by my kext findings alone!

Oh yeah.... forgot about that plugin. I'll just clone my dosdude1-patched MBP5,5 install over and do the mods there. Thanks!

Reactions: Larsvonhier

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2018
Nice. I watched the video you posted as well, and things do seem snappier. VLC and Maps never worked with Yosemite or El Cap on the 4,1 either. I use Movist on those installs and it works great. I haven't tested mkv files, though.

I'm going to be attempting an install today. For your installs, you just clone a working supported Mojave install, replace the prelinked kernel with yours, replace the kexts, rebuild the kext cache, and go? Or are there steps I'm missing?
My tool with full support will be released within 24 hours. I recommend you wait for a more seamless experience on the 4,1 using my tool.

Last edited:

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
I'll have to do a clean install on my 4,1 drive, as my MBP5,5 install is running on APFS.
Nope, just use CCC to clone APFS to a HFS+ volume - did it, works!
[doublepost=1553460533][/doublepost]
My tool with full support will be released within 24 hours. I recommend you wait for a more seemless experience on the 4,1 using my tool.
seamless, it seems you meant ;-)

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan

Ahh cool. Doing this now.

My tool with full support will be released within 24 hours. I recommend you wait for a more seamless experience on the 4,1 using my tool.

I'm going to try the hard way first on a spare spinner drive, as a test. I'll use your tool, once released, to do a final install on an SSD :)

Reactions: Larsvonhier

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
[doublepost=1553460533][/doublepost]
seamless, it seems you meant ;-)

Technically if from a Recovery bash Terminal you type something like this:
cp -R /Volumes/APFSMojave/ /Volumes/HFSEmpty/
Slower process but there is a kind of conversion from APFS to HFS Mojave.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Voila!

mojave41.png

Booted via USB. It's like running Leopard on a 300mhz G4 with 256mb of RAM.
Now to clone it to an SSD and boot it internally to see how it REALLY performs :)
Looks like I'll need a new wifi card...

Thanks for all of the help!

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Voila!

mojave41.png

Booted via USB. It's like running Leopard on a 300mhz G4 with 256mb of RAM.
Now to clone it to an SSD and boot it internally to see how it REALLY performs :)
Looks like I'll need a new wifi card...

Thanks for all of the help!

I guess Larsvonhier got wifi working, for enabling wifi kext you can try two paths: using the osxhackers kext or the parrotgeek1 BCM4321 fix.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Last edited:

kellydavid

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
Help with identifying Macbook5,1 ROM chip?

Hi,
I want to use dosdude1's ROM Patch tool to update the EEPROM on a Macbook5,1 (2008 unibody Macbook). When I run it, the patcher gives me a few options for the possible EEPROM:
  • MX25L3205(A)
  • MX25L3205D
  • MX25L3208D
  • MX25L3206E
The chip in the Macbook5,1 appears to be an MX25L3205D - see the image below. I want to be sure to choose the right EEPROM option - can anyone confirm the correct option from the image of the chip below?

Thank you!
IMG_4172.JPG

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
All moved over to SSD. Works pretty well. I get a kernel panic (with no notice) upon reboot or shutdown, but this is just a test install. We'll see if it happens with the patch that's soon to be released.

mojave41_2.png

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Help with identifying Macbook5,1 ROM chip?

Hi,
I want to use dosdude1's ROM Patch tool to update the EEPROM on a Macbook5,1 (2008 unibody Macbook). When I run it, the patcher gives me a few options for the possible EEPROM:
  • MX25L3205(A)
  • MX25L3205D
  • MX25L3208D
  • MX25L3206E
The chip in the Macbook5,1 appears to be an MX25L3205D - see the image below. I want to be sure to choose the right EEPROM option - can anyone confirm the correct option from the image of the chip below?

Thank you!
View attachment 828131
Yep, that's a MX25L3205D, so you'll want to select that option.

kellydavid

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
Yep, that's a MX25L3205D, so you'll want to select that option.

Thank you!

I installed a version of Mojave created with the Mojave Patcher Tool on the Macbook5,1's internal drive (which is now an SSD), but when it tries to boot, it shows the "circle with a slash in it" symbol, meaning that the disk contains a version of macOS that the system can't support. Any suggestions as to how to overcome this?

Thanks again.
[doublepost=1553487472][/doublepost]
Thank you!

I installed a version of Mojave created with the Mojave Patcher Tool on the Macbook5,1's internal drive (which is now an SSD), but when it tries to boot, it shows the "circle with a slash in it" symbol, meaning that the disk contains a version of macOS that the system can't support. Any suggestions as to how to overcome this?

Thanks again.

Never mind. I forgot to run the Post Install tool... Apologies.... :-(

ford.tonthat

Suspended
Nov 9, 2018
Vietnam
Could anyone think of a way to add macOS Post Install (from @dosdude1 's macos patched usb) into the Recovery partition? I want to have a faster way to patch my mac, not to spend time to find the usb,... I created a custom BaseSystem.dmg (take from the Recovery) and add the macOS Post Install into the Applications folder. It booted. Unfortunately, when I open macOS Post Install in the macOS Utilities menu, the drop down list didn't show any Mac names. Any idea?
[doublepost=1553498801][/doublepost]I also tried to restore the Custom BaseSystem.dmg to a partition. It didn't boot at all, showed forbidden sign.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Could anyone think of a way to add macOS Post Install (from @dosdude1 's macos patched usb) into the Recovery partition? I want to have a faster way to patch my mac, not to spend time to find the usb,... I created a custom BaseSystem.dmg (take from the Recovery) and add the macOS Post Install into the Applications folder. It booted. Unfortunately, when I open macOS Post Install in the macOS Utilities menu, the drop down list didn't show any Mac names. Any idea?
[doublepost=1553498801][/doublepost]I also tried to restore the Custom BaseSystem.dmg to a partition. It didn't boot at all, showed forbidden sign.

I had tried to create "custom Recovery" here are my observations:

- Any Recovery is a hidden bootable partition with CMD+R, contains the BaseSystem.dmg (about 500-700 MB) that is completely expanded in RAM so it's real size is around 1,3 GB (but is allocated in 2,01 GB in DiskUtility) and in-fact Recovery requires at least 2 GB RAM to be used;
- APFS Recovery is very particular, requires an Unique ID and can't be customized since its BaseSystem.dmg has a unique DMG signature that when changed it won't boot more;
- HFS Recovery almost the same, when you "edit" the BaseSystem.dmg it won't boot more with CMD+R because has a DMG signature checking too;

The only way, valid both for APFS scheme or HFS+, is to create a separate HFS partition (outside the APFS container) at least 2-3 GB free space, and restore on that partition an untouched BaseSystem.dmg , you can customize that partition content as you want, in this way "custom Recovery" will work holding alt-option key as a bootable emergency Volume.

Otherwise clone the dosdude1's USB Installer to a spare 9 GB HFS partition, if you want that smaller (before resizing) just delete from there the content (the pkgs especially the Core.pkg) in this folder /System/Installation/

Last edited:
Reactions: gosvamih

ford.tonthat

Suspended
Nov 9, 2018
Vietnam
I guess you should try install the "nosleep kext", I use that on my MBA1,1 El Capitan and everything work fine.
[doublepost=1553501638][/doublepost]

I had tried to create "custom Recovery" here are my observations:

- Any Recovery is a hidden bootable partition with CMD+R, contains the BaseSystem.dmg (about 500-700 MB) that is completely expanded in RAM so it's real size is around 1,3 GB (but is allocated in 2,01 GB in DiskUtility) and in-fact Recovery requires at least 2 GB RAM to be used;
- APFS Recovery is very particular, requires an Unique ID and can't be customized since its BaseSystem.dmg has a unique DMG signature that when changed it won't boot more;
- HFS Recovery almost the same, when you "edit" the BaseSystem.dmg it won't boot more with CMD+R because has a DMG signature checking too;

The only way, valid both for APFS scheme or HFS+, is to create a separate HFS partition (outside the APFS container) at least 2-3 GB free space, and restore on that partition an untouched BaseSystem.dmg , you can customize that partition content as you want, in this way "custom Recovery" will work holding alt-option key as a bootable emergency Volume.

Otherwise clone the dosdude1's USB Installer to a spare 9 GB HFS partition, if you want that smaller (before resizing) just delete from there the content (the pkgs especially the Core.pkg) in this folder /System/Installation/

It even didn't want to boot! Forbidden sign again. May be I should give up.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
It even didn't want to boot! Forbidden sign again. May be I should give up.

After you restored the Mojave BaseSystem.dmg to a HFS partition (example /Custom/ ), to avoid the forbidden sign try these:

1) Booting from Mojave open Terminal and type: sudo nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check"
2) delete from your Restored BaseSystem.dmg partition this file: /Custom/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist
3) edit the /Custom/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist adding after "Kernel flags" between <string>-no_compat_check</string>

And lastly replace the /Custom/System/Library/Prelinkedkernels/prelinkedkernel with the dosdude1's Mojave Installer one or with the one inside your Mojave Volume.

Last edited:
Reactions: alphascorp

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
As far I know there is no preference that fouls the hardware, to make the "Bluetooth icon" appear in System Preferences these come in play:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext

/System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework
/System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetoothUI.framework
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreBluetooth.framework
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BluetoothAudio.framework

The blues one are mainly required to be embedded into the prelinkedkernel (kextcache).

The critical observations that I found from adding the BCM94360CS2 Airport was that simply reinstalling and patching Mojave again over the current installation didn't recover the missing Bluetooth 4.0 device. Weirdly moving IOBluetoothFamily.kext and IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext over from HS did and rebuilding the kernel cache did. Secondly, a clean install of either patched HS or Mojave did reveal the Bluetooth 4.0 device but a full migration from the problem Mojave volume suppressed it again.

While I could understand that my initial reinstall might not have rebuilt the kextcache, it doesn't explain why a clean install doesn't have the problem. So the bottomline is, if you have have trouble with a BCM94360 series card, try a clean install with a fresh user account first.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
The critical observations that I found from adding the BCM94360CS2 Airport was that simply reinstalling and patching Mojave again over the current installation didn't recover the missing Bluetooth 4.0 device. Weirdly moving IOBluetoothFamily.kext and IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext over from HS did and rebuilding the kernel cache did. Secondly, a clean install of either patched HS or Mojave did reveal the Bluetooth 4.0 device but a full migration from the problem Mojave volume suppressed it again.

While I could understand that my initial reinstall might not have rebuilt the kextcache, it doesn't explain why a clean install doesn't have the problem. So the bottomline is, if you have have trouble with a BCM94360 series card, try a clean install with a fresh user account first.

There is no doubt that replacing an Airport card BT2.0 with a newer BT4.0 one, especially on a mac supported until 10.11.x, causes unpredictable behaviors, but I still think in your case kextcache wasn't refreshed correctly, and with your card you can use the original unpatched Moajve kext (I mean only those for Wifi and BT).

Then I don't know if for a machine supported until 10.11.x maybe is required to be replaced also a Bluetooth framework, but maybe you are right, to allow using HandOff and Continuity on your mac starting from a clean install user is better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.