Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DuncanGarp

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2018
Update issue.

Here's my setup sequence for an unsupported MacBookAir4,2.

I was on 10.14.5 Final and decided to test the latest beta (10.14.6 beta 1). So I signed up for Developers Beta program.
Upon reboot, I was presented with the Mojave 10.14.5 supplemental update. I do not want this update this since first of all, my said device does not have a T2 chip, and read in this thread that it poised some issues if you do.

How can I bypass this supplemental update and update straight to the developer's beta 1 of 10.14.6?

Thanks for any input.

Reactions: jackluke

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
This one may be simpler to answer and probably has a lot to do with the fact I am running Mojave patched onto an older machine, but...

When I boot into the Cmd + R recovery and enable SIP, it says it was successfully enabled. However... When I log in and check.

View attachment 838667
SIP must remain disabled at all times when running Mojave Patcher, as having it enabled will cause issues with patched system files. SIPManager.kext is designed to ensure SIP is always disabled, regardless of the NVRAM preference. You should not attempt to enable SIP when running Mojave Patcher.

jasoncarle

Suspended
Jan 13, 2006
Minnesota
SIP must remain disabled at all times when running Mojave Patcher, as having it enabled will cause issues with patched system files. SIPManager.kext is designed to ensure SIP is always disabled, regardless of the NVRAM preference. You should not attempt to enable SIP when running Mojave Patcher.

Noted. Thank you for replying.

Reactions: TimothyR734

DuncanGarp

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2018
@pkouame,

Have you released the latest hybrid patches that are compatible to both 10.14.5 final and 10.14.6 beta? I know you mentioned that you were working on a new one. Last time I checked, you have the 1.4.3 release.

Thanks for your efforts.

pkouame

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2016
@pkouame,

Have you released the latest hybrid patches that are compatible to both 10.14.5 final and 10.14.6 beta? I know you mentioned that you were working on a new one. Last time I checked, you have the 1.4.3 release.

Thanks for your efforts.
A pre-release being tested by some of us here. So far so good.

No official support for .6b1 yet, but @TimothyR734 just tested these patches on .6b1 with no adverse effects.
I'll need some time to install .6b1 and review the relevant framework differences (if there are any that matter)
[doublepost=1558645620][/doublepost]
Does anyone notice this new feature after applying the Supplemental Update? I cannot charge my battery when using the MB, only when it is completely shutting down (Might be related to this feature)

View attachment 838536

When I attach the power cord to the MB and the screen is off, it shows this icon in the middle of the screen like on iPhones and iPads.
By the way, did you ever get a chance to dig into why your OpenCL finding revives News/News+ ? I may have missed it.

DuncanGarp

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2018
A pre-release being tested by some of us here. So far so good.

No official support for .6b1 yet, but @TimothyR734 just tested these patches on .6b1 with no adverse effects.
I'll need some time to install .6b1 and review the relevant framework differences (if there are any that matter)
[doublepost=1558645620][/doublepost]
By the way, did you ever get a chance to dig into why your OpenCL finding revives News/News+ ? I may have missed it.

Ok thanks. Looking forward to it.

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Update issue.

Here's my setup sequence for an unsupported MacBookAir4,2.

I was on 10.14.5 Final and decided to test the latest beta (10.14.6 beta 1). So I signed up for Developers Beta program.
Upon reboot, I was presented with the Mojave 10.14.5 supplemental update. I do not want this update this since first of all, my said device does not have a T2 chip, and read in this thread that it poised some issues if you do.

How can I bypass this supplemental update and update straight to the developer's beta 1 of 10.14.6?

Thanks for any input.
do you have the developers beta profile installed as when you check for updates it should say enrolled in the developers beta program and should skip the supplemental update

DuncanGarp

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2018
734, post: 27386781, member: 1126371"]do you have the developers beta profile installed as when you check for updates it should say enrolled in the developers beta program and should skip the supplemental update[/QUOTE]

Yes, it did confirm that I'm enrolled. See screenshot below (on the left side).

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 4.09.14 PM.png

Thanks.

Last edited:

MitchellV

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2018
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Alright! So, haha. I am scared right now to do anything with my iMac.

I noticed that the recent mojave patcher lists a fix for kernal panics. Wow did I ever experience those. :p

I am running a late 2009 imac 21.5 with a 500gb ssd and 12 gb ram.

I had my 500gb ssd formatted as APFS, and did the update to 10.14.4 through the now outdated, but at the time most recent patcher. Needless to say, it broke everything including the camera.The kernel panics were random, but extremely frequent.

No problem! I'll just reinstall. Oh wait, my installer usb installs a bugged version that kernel panics. No problem! I'll just download the patcher again and make a new usb. After about 10 attempts to make one without a kernel panic, I finally did it, and reinstalled MacOS. Oh wait, same problem. No issue though! I'll just boot in to recovery and install through there! Oh yeah. Even if you could boot recovery on an APFS, it would have been bugged anyway! No problem. Internet recovery, here I come. Oh... That doesn't work.I'll just format the drive and try again. Hmmm. just as I suspected! a completely empty drive with no recovery or internet recovery functionality. :) At least I have my trusty 10.6 install disc. :)

lol anyway long story short, I am now at 10.14.3 and have my hard drive formatted as extended journaled so I cant accidently update.

Maybe this is a stupid question. Who cares though because damn I dont want to go through that again haha. My computer was MESSED up, and at one point i considered throwing it in the garbage lol.

Do you think it's safe to try this new patcher with the kernel panic fix, or do you think that because everything is working just dandy right now, I should just keep things as they are, until things aren't working the way I need them to anymore?

Both seem like very real options haha...

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
734, post: 27386781, member: 1126371"]do you have the developers beta profile installed as when you check for updates it should say enrolled in the developers beta program and should skip the supplemental update

View attachment 838694

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Did you click on more info sometimes there might be the beta update if so uncheck the supplemental one and instal 10.14.6 beta 1
[doublepost=1558660359][/doublepost]

I noticed that the recent mojave patcher lists a fix for kernal panics. Wow did I ever experience those. :p

I had my 500gb ssd formatted as APFS, and did the update to 10.14.4 through the now outdated, but at the time most recent patcher. Needless to say, it broke everything including the camera.The kernel panics were random, but extremely frequent.

No problem! I'll just reinstall. Oh wait, my installer usb installs a bugged version that kernel panics. No problem! I'll just download the patcher again and make a new usb. After about 10 attempts to make one without a kernel panic, I finally did it, and reinstalled MacOS. Oh wait, same problem. No issue though! I'll just boot in to recovery and install through there! Oh yeah. Even if you could boot recovery on an APFS, it would have been bugged anyway! No problem. Internet recovery, here I come. Oh... That doesn't work.I'll just format the drive and try again. Hmmm. just as I suspected! a completely empty drive with no recovery or internet recovery functionality. :) At least I have my trusty 10.6 install disc. :)

lol anyway long story short, I am now at 10.14.3 and have my hard drive formatted as extended journaled so I cant accidently update.

Maybe this is a stupid question. Who cares though because damn I dont want to go through that again haha. My computer was MESSED up, and at one point i considered throwing it in the garbage lol.

Do you think it's safe to try this new patcher with the kernel panic fix, or do you think that because everything is working just dandy right now, I should just keep things as they are, until things aren't working the way I need them to anymore?

That is really up to you I was in the same boat with my mid 2009 iMac but so far everything is running smoothly I installed 10.14.4 then upgraded 10.14.5 now 10.14.6 beta 1 with the new patcher but 10.14.3 is the most stable version

DuncanGarp

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2018

View attachment 838694

Thanks.
Did you click on more info sometimes there might be the beta update if so uncheck the supplemental one and instal 10.14.6 beta 1
[doublepost=1558660359][/doublepost]
That is really up to you I was in the same boat with my mid 2009 iMac but so far everything is running smoothly I installed 10.14.4 then upgraded 10.14.5 now 10.14.6 beta 1 with the new patcher but 10.14.3 is the most stable version[/QUOTE]

When I clicked "more info", it only showed the supplemental update.

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 6.12.08 PM.png

Thanks for the response.

Reactions: K two

ASentientBot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2018
SkyLight.framework

NEVER rely solely on a patched system. Keep a High Sierra thumbdrive, external HDD, or partition. Something will break sooner or later, and you'll be glad you did.
[doublepost=1558679389][/doublepost]
Just to be sure, the Arduino thing/problem is only relevant on systems with USB patch?
(Mac mini Mid 2011 works perfectly without USB patch and several original & fake Arduino Nanos)
I think so. Back on 10.14.2 I found the same solution that @hvds and others have re-discovered. It doesn't seem necessary on my MacBook7,1 now that USB works without patches. Apple changed something up in 10.14.4/5 USB kexts that actually improved results on unsupported machines for once!

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
I did that as well (unchecked the supplemental update). No dice. Thanks.

You're right, I got prompt the 10.14.6 beta 1 update (but I didn't installed) from May 15th until 22th , but now only prompted for 10.14.5 supplemental, so I guess it is not so simple to avoid this OTA update, but if you find and download (from the beta sucatalog.gz) the "macOSUpd10.14.6.pkg", then surely you can install it manually through editing the Distribution file as explained here by many posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: avz

upipes

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2019
Galicia
I'm not on the beta boat, but I've got this morning an update for my MacPro 3,1. BUT, it says that is an update for a Macbook Pro... specially driven to T2 chip owners.
I enclose a screenshot.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2019-05-24 a las 10.22.08.png
    Captura de pantalla 2019-05-24 a las 10.22.08.png
    507.7 KB · Views: 228

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
NOTE for all: as @jhowarth pointed before, latest official Mojave version for pre-2018 Mac is 18F132 , this May 22th recent 10.14.5 18F203 supplemental update is NOT prompted to any Mojave supported Mac pre-2018, I tested right now from a 2012 MBP I only got a prompt for 10.14.6 beta 1, so it's clear that apple (rightly) doesn't care to offer this T2 CHIP update to unsupported machines, then it's not advisable to download and install it, even if that update won't damage your unsupported Mac, if you accept it and download you'll follow the "Product ID" OTA updates for those T2 Chip products, not a good path especially for non-T2 machines and unsupported Mojave Mac.

Last edited:

upipes

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2019
Galicia
NOTE for all: as @jhowarth pointed before, latest official Mojave version for pre-2018 Mac is 18F132 , this May 22th recent 10.14.5 18F203 supplemental update is NOT prompted to any Mojave supported Mac pre-2018, I tested right now from a 2012 MBP I only got a prompt for 10.14.6 beta 1, so it's clear that apple (rightly) doesn't care to offer this T2 CHIP update to unsupported machines, then it's not advisable to download and install it, even if that update won't damage your unsupported Mac, if you accept it and download you'll follow the "Product ID" OTA updates for those T2 Chip products, not a good path especially for non-T2 machines and unsupported Mojave Mac.
Thank you JackLuke. It seems is downloaded in my mac. Any step in order to delete it? or any advice to "forget" this updates?

Vyzantion

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2018
Nasty issue. A MacBook firmware suplemental update has shown up two days ago. My Hackintosh is not even a laptop. I have clicked install. The result was an OS much, much slower, unusable. Reinstalled and checked not to automatically download updates. Yesterday, I had a block on Safari and rebooted. The boot was slow. Something similar has happened in the past when a bunch of Gatekeeper/XProtect/MRT was faulty installed and some system files were corrupted. So:
1. Could someone please check in System Information, in Software/Installations if there were some Gatekeeper/XProtect/MRT updates yesterday installed? Just to rule this out.
2. Does the patch contain some components take from a MacBook Pro installation of Mojave? My Hackintosh is disguised by Clover into an iMac from 2009, nothing close to a MacBook Pro with a T2 chip, as this update says.

Reactions: webg3 and avz

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
Here is the official link for "macOS Mojave 10.14.3 Supplemental Update" (18D109):

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1993?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

The (18D109) is a supplemental update not a complete installation.
In addition, many of us could not install this update directly without modifying the installation package. For that you can follow this detailed procedure:

Move "macOSUpd10.14.3Supplemental.pkg" file to the desktop
Open Terminal and writes this:

cd ~/Desktop

Press enter

pkgutil --expand macOSUpd10.14.3Supplemental.pkg NewFolder

Press enter

Wait a few minutes
Go to the "NewFolder" folder created on your desktop and open the "Distribution" file with a text editor

Add: return true;
at the end of this line: function InstallationCheck(prefix) {

Like this:
function InstallationCheck(prefix) {return true;

Add: return true;
at the end of this line: function VolumeCheck(prefix) {

Like this: function VolumeCheck(prefix) {return true;

Save the file

If you have not closed the terminal, write or simply copy this:

pkgutil --flatten NewFolder macOSUpd10.14.3SupplementalModified.pkg

Press enter and wait a few minutes for the package to re-create
Once the operation is completed, launch the file "macOSUpd10.14.3SupplementalModified.pkg"

But if you closed the terminal, re-open it and writes this:

cd ~/Desktop

Press enter

pkgutil --flatten NewFolder macOSUpd10.14.3SupplementalModified.pkg

Press enter and wait a few minutes for the package to re-create
Once the operation is completed, launch the file "macOSUpd10.14.3SupplementalModified.pkg"

Be careful if you have several OS on more disks/partitions in your mac because these modifications make it possible to install this update on any OS disk/partition.

AT THE BEGINNING OF THE INSTALLATION BE CAREFUL TO CHOOSE THE DISK/PARTITION OF MOJAVE AND NO OTHER.

Has anyone tried making the installation an effective no-op on unsupported machines by removing the lines...

<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.FirmwareUpdate" installKBytes="0" version="10.14.5.1"/>
<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.macOSBrain" installKBytes="166" version="10.14.5.1.1.1558072702"/>
<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.14.5Supplemental.18F203" installKBytes="279550" version="1.0.0.0.1.1558072702"/>
<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.EmbeddedOSFirmware" installKBytes="62086" version="10.14.5.1.1.1558072702"/>
<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.SecureBoot" installKBytes="374" version="10.14.5.1.1.1558072702"/>
<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.macOSUpd10.14.5Supplemental.RecoveryHDUpdate.18F203" installKBytes="0" version="1.0.0.0"/>

from the installer-gui-script section of the Distribution file such that only a receipt for the 10.14.5 Supplemental Update gets installed to shut up Software Update on this one?

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Nasty issue. A MacBook firmware suplemental update has shown up two days ago. My Hackintosh is not even a laptop. I have clicked install. The result was an OS much, much slower, unusable. Reinstalled and checked not to automatically download updates. Yesterday, I had a block on Safari and rebooted. The boot was slow. Something similar has happened in the past when a bunch of Gatekeeper/XProtect/MRT was faulty installed and some system files were corrupted. So:
1. Could someone please check in System Information, in Software/Installations if there were some Gatekeeper/XProtect/MRT updates yesterday installed? Just to rule this out.
2. Does the patch contain some components take from a MacBook Pro installation of Mojave? My Hackintosh is disguised by Clover into an iMac from 2009, nothing close to a MacBook Pro with a T2 chip, as this update says.

The numbers are still seem to be the same 166/2103/1.41. I re-installed High Sierra yesterday as well and the numbers are still the same. Obviously I stayed away from the T2 chip update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.