Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
have you tried using Lilu+whatevergreen? Since mojave, you have to use the platform id/properties thing vs the usual way to inject graphics (e.g. the iGPU) that worked in high sierra. There was a post on tonymac about how to enable power management for graphics. My hackintosh is a desktop so all i had to do was inject the iGPU with a headless platform id and everything works OOB. Lilu+WEG handles everything

@saudor - I have tried Lilu+WhateverGreen and didn't notice any difference. Thanks for the suggestion! I might need to try again now that I have made system changes.

Your IORegistry screenshot shows the gpu-control properties for HDGraphics. Would you be able to select the gpu-control for the NVidia graphics and capture another IORegistry screenshot for me? I'd like to see the gpu-control and IOHWControl attributes for the NVidia graphics. Thank you!

Reactions: TimothyR734

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
Not sure the fan at max has much to do with RAM.
The MBA I use did have a repair about two years ago, during which independent repair man advised replacing button cell battery and replacing thermal paste, both of which I agreed to.
Fan (there is only one in these MBAs) will run at or near max after upgrade to Mojave as it rebuilds various indices from scratch. This may take overnight. After a day it should certainly have settled down, although this will depend on how many files you have. My SSD is 128 GB.
I use Macs Fan Control and live and work in a room that often hovers around 30 Celsius ambient with over 90% humidity at this time of year. Most of the time for desktop use, I keep the lid shut and connect an external monitor via Mini DisplayPort and a DVI adapter. I do however ensure plenty of vent space at the back of the MBA and use ceiling fans to keep air circulation.

You can be right about RAM. Fan at max is on El Capitain. Havent ried Mojave yet.
I have many many tabs open in Firefox and Safari. Safari is doing better I would say but I use Firefox at work on PC so I prefer it because easy sync.
I should have new thermal paste there as well but your conditions are very demanding compare to mine. That is weird then.

carlcaulkett

macrumors member
May 13, 2017
London, England
@dosdude1 or any other knowledgable person, I’m still a little confused by the “Post Install” part of the process. I have an Apple Mac Pro (early 2009) which has had the firmware flashed from 4,1 to 5,1. The Post Install app correctly identifies my machine as “MacPro5,1” but doesn’t offer that model as an option in the drop down list.

I think that Collin mentioned that my particular config didn’t need any patches, but could he, or someone else confirm that for me.

My other question is: if I have already chosen some patch option and then reboot onto the USB drive and run Post Install again and select fewer, or indeed zero patch options, will the previously applied patches be deleted, or does one have to run the whole install process to get back to a clean slate?

Flacko

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2018
UK
@dosdude1 or any other knowledgable person, I’m still a little confused by the “Post Install” part of the process. I have an Apple Mac Pro (early 2009) which has had the firmware flashed from 4,1 to 5,1. The Post Install app correctly identifies my machine as “MacPro5,1” but doesn’t offer that model as an option in the drop down list.

I think that Collin mentioned that my particular config didn’t need any patches, but could he, or someone else confirm that for me.

My other question is: if I have already chosen some patch option and then reboot onto the USB drive and run Post Install again and select fewer, or indeed zero patch options, will the previously applied patches be deleted, or does one have to run the whole install process to get back to a clean slate?
Your mp5.1 supports Mojave natively so you do not need to use the post install patches. The mp5.1 is supported by Apple when using Mojave. If you use dosdude1’s installer then just letting the Mac restart without booting back to the installer will get you up and running. This is why there are no options for the mp5.1 in the post install utility.

If you have installed some patches then the patcher does not have the option to uninstall them. The simplest way is to reinstall Mojave over the top of your present Mojave. This should remove any patches without you losing any data.

As you have a 4.1 to 5.1 there can be some issues with Mojave. This is especially if you have a configuration that is not used by the 5.1. For example some cpu combinations can cause audio issues.

kingsman12

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2019
hello you can help me on this subject sudo nvram boot-args = "- no_compat_check"
and look at it in time I want to install cataline by USB

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2019-06-22 à 19.18.29.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-06-22 à 19.18.29.png
    34 KB · Views: 138

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States

If you have a legacy NVidia graphics card in your MacPro5,1, you will need to apply DosDude's Legacy NVidia patch AFTER you upgrade to Mojave. Here's what I did:

1. Backup your MacPro5,1 (Carbon Copy or similar)
  2. Create a DosDude Mojave Patcher USB (DosDude's Mojave Patcher will tell you your system is already compatible - proceed anyway)
  3. Upgrade your MacPro5,1 to Mojave via the standard upgrade process, but don't reboot until you read Step 4.
  4. After the Mojave upgrade completes and prompts you to reboot, insert the USB stick you created in Step 2 and reboot from the USB stick
  5. After your system boots into the Mojave installer, you can ignore the Mojave installer and open DosDude's Post Install Application from the Utilities menu
  6. Select only the Legacy Nvidia Graphics patch
  7. After the patch is complete, remove the USB stick and reboot your MacPro5,1 into Mojave

carlcaulkett

macrumors member
May 13, 2017
London, England
Select only the Legacy Nvidia Graphics patch

Thanks for the reply! I ended up choosing the MacPro4,1 option which came with 2 pre-selected options. I also selected the "Legacy Video Card Patch" which I believe is the patch that you are referring to. It seems to run okay, certainly with less video degradation compared to the default behaviour with no patches selected. My reasoning was that my machine, in hardware terms is really a MacPro4,1, just with upgraded firmware. My selection of the "Legacy Video Card Patch" was simply because my previous attempted at an upgrade resulted in noticeably poor video performance. Now it is a lot better!

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
I need help, please.

For a Late 2009 Mac mini 3,1 ....fully patched and perfectly working (Mohave v10.14.5) for the last four months, without skipping a beat as my little daily driver. … This morning I saw the machine had crashed. Multiple attempts to Boot up the machine would not work. The progress bar would fully load, but then just sit there without ever finishing..... of course I thought to create a new patcher using all the latest versions. … Four brand new 16GB USB keys later, and I cannot get the machine to boot up off the macOS base system, after Successfully option-starting the machine, with the USB keys. ... in every instance the progress bar reaches the end, and it sits there for hours.… What can I try?… Almost seems like the USB interface is not responding or corrupted.… Thank you for all suggestions.

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
I need help, please.

For a Late 2009 Mac mini 3,1 ....fully patched and perfectly working (Mohave v10.14.5) for the last four months, without skipping a beat as my little daily driver. … This morning I saw the machine had crashed. Multiple attempts to Boot up the machine would not work. The progress bar would fully load, but then just sit there without ever finishing..... of course I thought to create a new patcher using all the latest versions. … Four brand new 16GB USB keys later, and I cannot get the machine to boot up off the macOS base system, after Successfully option-starting the machine, with the USB keys. ... in every instance the progress bar reaches the end, and it sits there for hours.… What can I try?… Almost seems like the USB interface is not responding or corrupted.… Thank you for all suggestions.
Did you try booting off the latest Mojave patcher and apply the post install patches maybe you go an update

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
Did you try booting off the latest Mojave patcher and apply the post install patches maybe you go an update

As I mentioned,… I do successfully see the ‘macOS Base’ system, as created by the patcher, off the USB key. But after selecting it, and returning on it, the progress bar gets to the end but it never finishes. This has occurred with multiple New USB keys. The same exact thing. .... isn’t there some keystroke to reset the firmware, or somehow reset the USB interface? … I’m open to all suggestions. Thank you

MTBnBeer

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2015
Thanks for the reply! I ended up choosing the MacPro4,1 option which came with 2 pre-selected options. I also selected the "Legacy Video Card Patch" which I believe is the patch that you are referring to. It seems to run okay, certainly with less video degradation compared to the default behaviour with no patches selected. My reasoning was that my machine, in hardware terms is really a MacPro4,1, just with upgraded firmware. My selection of the "Legacy Video Card Patch" was simply because my previous attempted at an upgrade resulted in noticeably poor video performance. Now it is a lot better!

Last year, we flashed our 2009 MacPro4,1 to 5,1 then installed the Apple Metal compatible MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 4GB GDDR5 DirectX 12 VR Ready CFX Graphcis Card (RX 560 Aero ITX 4G OC) https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072J422CZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 when we upgraded to Mojave... Which eliminated the need macOS Mojave Patcher. Runs great for the dual 1920 x 1200 Samsung SyncMaster displays for basic office use. Consider installing an RX 580 and using an NVME boot drive if you need more speed. NVME wasn't an option when we did this upgrade... and we didn't need the speed.

We'd previously upgraded the CPUs to dual 6-core 3.33 GHz Xeons, upgraded to 32GB of the faster speed RAM, and installed a 1TB Samsung on a PCIe card while it was running Sierra... Then ran the High Sierra firmware update to make it Mojave ready before installing the RX 560 video card.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
@saudor - I have tried Lilu+WhateverGreen and didn't notice any difference. Thanks for the suggestion! I might need to try again now that I have made system changes.

Your IORegistry screenshot shows the gpu-control properties for HDGraphics. Would you be able to select the gpu-control for the NVidia graphics and capture another IORegistry screenshot for me? I'd like to see the gpu-control and IOHWControl attributes for the NVidia graphics. Thank you!

Sorry for the delays. Here they are:

EDIT:
cleaned it up a bit.. added the iGPU properties too:

https://neomallers.com/uploads/mbp62-ioreg-gpu.jpg

Last edited:

mikew67

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2014
Palo Alto, CA
@dosdude1 I cannot say "Thank you!" enough...

After upgrading my MBP from El Capitan to Mojave (10.14.5) and installing Quicken 2019 (the latest version), Quicken was having trouble with Webkit. Basically, when the product asks you to enter your credentials ("Quicken ID"), it attempts to retrieve a Web page using WebKit. WebKit tried three times, got an error every time and then crashing after the third attemp, leaving Quicken high and dry.

Cheers!

I'm getting this same behavior from Quicken 5.11.0 (subscription version) running a patched Mojave 10.14.5 (full install, not an update) on a MBP 4,1 with 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD (HFS Extended, Journaled). Have submitted a WebKit crash report to Quicken support, as well as a link to @hrc3 's message. Patch Updater v5 tells me I'm up-to-date on all patches. Not sure how to fix the problem from this end (migrate to AFPS?). We'll see what the Quicken team comes up with.

Mike

DanieleDN

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2019
Italy
OK. Thanks for tip. But I may not do that as 50-100 USD is not reasonable cost for me. And it is 800 MHz. And I can not find cheaper/used ones here as well.
[doublepost=1560859295][/doublepost]

Thanks a lot. It seems it is right solution. You made ma day!

You are welcome. I think that Early 2008 MPBs are still suitable machines and with these updates they will be enjoyable for additional years (they were introduced with Leopard, so, with Mojave they have obtained the 10th major update), so I was glad to answer your question.

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
You are welcome. I think that Early 2008 MPBs are still suitable machines and with these updates they will be enjoyable for additional years (they were introduced with Leopard, so, with Mojave they have obtained the 10th major update), so I was glad to answer your question.

indeed, i just sold an 17" early 2008 Macbook Pro, with revised 8600m gpu.
sold it with a crucial ssd and 6gb ram, it ran high sierra great with dosdude1 patcher.
these machines with these upgrades can ran at least for a few more years...

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
did you try resetting your pram control option p and r while rebooting

I successfully reset the pram, confirmed by the restart shortly after the keystroke combination.… But no improvement.… The machine will still not fully boot off the patcher. ...
Question: ... after successfully option-starting off the patcher USB key, I do see an EFI boot drive and macOS base drive.… Is there anything I can do at this point, potentially using that EFI drive, to fix anything? .... and/or what else can I try?

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
I successfully reset the pram, confirmed by the restart shortly after the keystroke combination.… But no improvement.… The machine will still not fully boot off the patcher. ...
Question: ... after successfully option-starting off the patcher USB key, I do see an EFI boot drive and macOS base drive.… Is there anything I can do at this point, potentially using that EFI drive, to fix anything? .... and/or what else can I try?
have you tried command R while booting

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac. (i.e. Catilina )

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac. (i.e. Mojave)

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available. (i.e. High Sierra / Mojave )

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
10.14.6 dev beta 3 successfully installed hybrid patches working as well :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 11.35.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 11.35.36 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 180
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 11.35.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 11.35.04 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 194

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac. (i.e. Catilina )

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac. (i.e. Mojave)

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available. (i.e. High Sierra / Mojave )

Thank you for staying with me on this.
None of the key strokes worked. ....here scratching my head since the Mac mini is even tethered via ethernet.

I even located the Snow Leopard install disc and held down C while attempting
to boot from that disc. .....Nothing

Seems like heavy surgery is in order.
I have a time machine backup, probably within the last hour of final crash,
of the late 2009 Mac mini running 10.14.5

If I remove that SSD Drive, completely erase and reformat as APFS,
I should be able to restore from time machine backup, reboot and apply patches, correct? ....even at this point, ⌘-R, Option-⌘-R and Shift-Option-⌘-R
should work since the SSD will be 100% blank, right?

Or am I missing something?
There is nothing in the non-hard drive firmware, that I will need to address?
Thank you.

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Thank you for staying with me on this.
None of the key strokes worked. ....here scratching my head since the Mac mini is even tethered via ethernet.

I even located the Snow Leopard install disc and held down C while attempting
to boot from that disc. .....Nothing

Seems like heavy surgery is in order.
I have a time machine backup, probably within the last hour of final crash,
of the late 2009 Mac mini running 10.14.5

If I remove that SSD Drive, completely erase and reformat as APFS,
I should be able to restore from time machine backup, reboot and apply patches, correct? ....even at this point, ⌘-R, Option-⌘-R and Shift-Option-⌘-R
should work since the SSD will be 100% blank, right?

Or am I missing something?
There is nothing in the non-hard drive firmware, that I will need to address?
Thank you.
I think that the 10.14.5 supplemental update got installed on you Mac mini. Does your Mac mina boot from natively as I have a mid 2009 iMac 9,1 and a mid 2009 MacBook 5,2 and had to use Dosdude's APFS Rom patcher to enable mine to boot from APFS 2. when you hold the option button while booting does you ssd appear as a boot option if you only see one EFI and your usb Mojave patcher most likely there is an issues with your ssd or its formatted APFS and it is not recognized because its APFS if you can remove your ssd and install it on a working Mac format is HFS(extended Journaled and see if that works then try installing Mojave . 3 Have you used the APFS ROM patcher is is very tricky and could brick your Mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.