Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

progstate

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2020
Hi! Was distracted the other day and accidentally approved a system update to my 3,1 running the dosdue catalina. Its now stuck in a bootloop and wont start i volume checker mode, only recovery which only lets me install El capitan and then gets stuck at boot again. How can I get the boot loader to recognize the dosdude efi usb installer again?

Thanks. TT

Reactions: TimothyR734

progstate

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2020
Run the post-installer again √
Cheerz VaZ, tried that but the 3,1 that was previously on catalina loops on boot with black screen, the only thing it responds to is the rescue boot that tries to install El cap but fails after first boot and starts looping again. Not sure why it wont recognize any bootable usb media, is the firmware?

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
Tried running the Discord desktop app on patched Mojave on my 2009 Mini, but when I open the app nothing comes up on screen. The menu bar changes from Finder to Discord, but the only option I am given is to quit Discord. Anyone else ever experienced this on patched Mojave?

nospamboz

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2006

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Recently installed macOS Mojave 10.14.6 on a new SSD on my MacPro 3.1.
Installation went fine and everything is updated to the latest/ last updates available.
Every time I start up or wake from sleep the softwareupdated deamon starts and
affects the internet performance of the Mac. Only by Force Quitting softwareupdated
from Activity Monitor does the Mac regain its download/ upload speeds.
Unfortunately after a random amount of time softwareupdated will start again requiring another Force Quit.
I have other installs of Mojave on this Mac plus Catalina, Sierra and El Capitan and never experienced
softwareupdated interfering in this manner.
Wondering what is causing softwareupdated to continually interfere and what can I do to stop it from
continually interfering.

System Preferences> Software Update> Automatically keep my Mac up to date is switched off.
Advanced is set for Check for Updates, same as on all my other installations of macOS.

Any ideas.

nospamboz

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2006
Advanced is set for Check for Updates, same as on all my other installations of macOS.

Isn't softwareupdated how XProtect and MRT are updated? I think that's what the Advanced>Check for Updates is for.

On my system it's turned off and I use "softwareupdate -l --include-config-data" to manually update.

Coincidentally (?) Eclectic Light says there's an XProtect update being pushed. Maybe his SilentKnight will help you?

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Your thoughts appreciated: I'm limited natively to High Sierra (10.13.6), but also have Mojave via Patcher running successfully. Any reason(s) to run Mojave as opposed to HS? Both are getting XProtect and MRT, but otherwise neither one is supported. For various reasons, including limitations, no interest in going any further than Mojave.

Last edited:

nospamboz

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2006
Your thoughts appreciated: ... Any reason(s) to run Mojave as opposed to HS? ... no interest in going any further than Mojave.

One year after I made the "leap" from HS to Mojave, I honestly think the only real advantage, for me at least, is Dark Mode. A large part of my decision not go back is that I like Dark Mode.

One thing I didn't like was how many daemons I had to disable with "launchctl unload -w". Apple is obviously trying to turn their computers into phones, and Mojave was a big step in that, with bigger steps in Catalina and beyond, which is why I won't go further, like you. If I hadn't figured out how to stop all those stupid useless CPU-hogging boot-slowing daemons, I might have gone back to HS.

Another problem with Mojave for me (but maybe not you) is that my system doesn't support Metal natively, which is becoming an issue with recent app updates, especially if they're derived from Chromium. (Thank goodness for "--disable-gpu-sandbox".) In fact, even Firefox has been hanging on Google Street View occasionally in the last few months, though I think I may have that under control by disabling WebGL2. The latest software build systems for MacOS appear to be assuming underlying Metal and optimizing for that, oh well.

At least I got Debian Bookworm bootable on another partition and working with my "ancient" 9400m graphics, for when the day comes when I can no longer patch or workaround an incompatibility. That setup should be good for at least another five years, so I'll really have gotten my money's worth out of this mid-2009 MacBook. :)

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
It's funny that for you the main attraction of Mojave is dark mode. I remember first time I tried the Patcher only dark mode was available, and since it's not at all what I want, I was ready to give up completely on Mojave. Then, almost immediately, after that first try out, a new iteration of the Patcher became available and light mode suddenly available.

Other than that, and the fact that I'm still running spinners on the boot drive and backups - APFS not all that friendly - it really seems to be a coin toss, with things tilted in favor of HS. And no metal on this Late '09 iMac (2010 Mini) also.

Might go to the Mojave (installed on another partition) at some point in the future if/when some absolutely necessary program needs that at a minimum.

Last edited:

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
It's funny that for you the main attraction of Mojave is dark mode. I remember first time I tried the Patcher only dark mode was available, and since it's not at all what I want, I was ready to give up completely on Mojave. Then, almost immediately, after that first try out, a new iteration of the Patcher became available and light mode suddenly available.

Other than that, and the fact that I'm still running spinners on the boot drive and backups - APFS not all that friendly - it really seems to be a coin toss, with things tilted in favor of HS. And no metal on this Late '09 iMac (2010 Mini) also.

Might go to the Mojave (installed on another partition) at some point in the future if/when some absolutely necessary program needs that at a minimum.
At least the iMac10,1 late 2009 27 can be upgraded with a metal GPU…

nospamboz

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2006
the fact that I'm still running spinners on the boot drive and backups - APFS not all that friendly - it really seems to be a coin toss

Just a reminder, though you're probably already aware, that the @dosdude1 Mojave installer does not force an update to APFS. My Mojave Macbook is still on HFS+, which is more portable for multibooting.

If Dark Mode isn't for you, my advice is to stay on High Sierra.

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Yep, sticking with HS. Fewer glitches there in fact. Actually, counter-intuitive, and unexpected, but found that, unlike with the iMac, APFS runs better on the Mini boot volume, with a less powerful CPU, less memory.

Thanks for the feedback on this.

acmehax

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2022
Hawaii
Hello all,

I am just finishing up an unsupported sandy bridge portable running Mojave 10.14.6 and would like to do it w/o a patcher. I think that all that I need are the 4 Mojave 10.14.3 Frameworks:

CoreDisplay.framework
OpenGL.framework
GPUSupport.framework
SkyLight.framework

and I'll be good to go.

Anybody care to share theirs ?

Thx

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Yep, sticking with HS. Fewer glitches there in fact. Actually, counter-intuitive, and unexpected, but found that, unlike with the iMac, APFS runs better on the Mini boot volume, with a less powerful CPU, less memory.

Thanks for the feedback on this.
Those spinners are a major impediment. Update to SSD where possible, like a new machine. SSDs have become very inexpensive even with inflation. Decent 1TB well under $100 USD. :cool:

acmehax

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2022
Hawaii
OK, found 'em on my own and I have Mojave 10.14.6 running beautifully on my Asus sandy bridge laptop, no problems at all. It's a ol fashioned spinning drive and totally usable. Maybe cuz it's a PC and not an actual Mac so I have more options to customize ;)

KidMoe85

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2009
Everytime I load up Mojave on my MacPro3,1 there's a notification from the patch updater asking me to install the AMD Metal driver. I also had this driver auto-selected when doing post install (selected MacPro3,1). I'm running an original 8800GT which isn't Metal capable. The post install also had 'legacy video driver' unselected and I was confused why this configuration was suggested.

I switched those settings (deselected AMD, selected Legacy video) during post install and everything works great. Now i keep getting the AMD driver update notification and not sure if its ok to just install even though it doesn't apply to my config.

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Everytime I load up Mojave on my MacPro3,1 there's a notification from the patch updater asking me to install the AMD Metal driver. I also had this driver auto-selected when doing post install (selected MacPro3,1). I'm running an original 8800GT which isn't Metal capable. The post install also had 'legacy video driver' unselected and I was confused why this configuration was suggested.

I switched those settings (deselected AMD, selected Legacy video) during post install and everything works great. Now i keep getting the AMD driver update notification and not sure if its ok to just install even though it doesn't apply to my config.
I never had any issues with selecting on my Mac but if you go into Application/Utility folder and click on the patch updater if I remember right you can turn off updates to the patches

Reactions: KidMoe85

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I never had any issues with selecting on my Mac but if you go into Application/Utility folder and click on the patch updater if I remember right you can turn off updates to the patches
But it turns off updates to all the patches. I think what needs to be done is editing the list of installed patches.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...enable-amd-metal-driver.2206682/post-28445461
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread....2121473/page-719?post=28113276#post-28113276

KidMoe85

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2009
Thanks for that! I actually figured it out after making the post, glad the option was included. Not a huge issue if it turns off all patch updates, I can manually check every month or so. The system runs perfectly well as is.

I assumed the suggested patches were tailored to the actual hardware in my system but i guess its more of a general recommendation for typical configs of each model?

In my case I unselected the AMD sse4.2 patch during initial install and patch updater has been asking me to install it (not update) since first boot, so i don't think editing the list of installed patches would fix my particular issue. Happy i was able to get the constant popups stopped though.

jpr281

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2019
Early 2011 MBP running 10.14.6

FFmpeg will no longer update via homebrew. I have xcode 11.13.1. Is there any way around this besides updating the OS?

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 5.58.39 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.