macOS 10.14 Mojave on Unsupported Macs Thread

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by dosdude1, Jun 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Edgecrusherr macrumors member

Edgecrusherr

I just happens to be the only volume I have that has enough space on it for testing. I'd have to wipe a drive to do HFS+. I CAN if I have to, but if the problem isn't APFS, I'd rather not. :)

2. visberry macrumors regular

visberry

Thanks for the clarification :), I just have a HDD unfortunately, so close to download finishing, im so excited!

3. TimothyR734 macrumors 6502a

TimothyR734

unplug your macOS patcher usb power on your Mac and hold the option key if you see efi try that
    --- Post Merged, Jul 11, 2018 ---
    I have APFS on my internal HDD running MacOS Mojave so far no issues iMac9.1

4. videotape74 macrumors member

videotape74

I see "macOS" (my install SSD) and "recovery 10.14"

5. Aletancredo macrumors member

Aletancredo

Hello I am running macos mojave 18A314k I would like to update for the latest beta. Could you help me? Thank you.

6. TimothyR734 macrumors 6502a

TimothyR734

I wis I could help more but I don't know much about SSD's

7. Luckygreek macrumors regular

Luckygreek

Just to clarify what is preferred Apple File Sys for Mojave? HFS+ or APFS. Would make sense for APFS and not HFS+. High Sierra automatically converts to APFS. Would make sense that Mojave requires APFS as well.

8. videotape74 macrumors member

videotape74

That is just the drive that my OS is on. I used a USB stick for the Mojave patcher. :)

9. TimothyR734 macrumors 6502a

TimothyR734

That gives you a choice I have my iMac 9.1 on APFS and my iMac 8.1 on HFS both running Mojave no issues with either
    Hope there is a way to solve your issue installing

10. Luckygreek macrumors regular

Luckygreek

11. ASentientBot macrumors 6502

ASentientBot

I haven't tried installing an update over a previous version, I just downloaded the new InstallESD.dmg (from a URL I found in the software catalog) and redid the process outlined in my manual patch tutorial completely from scratch.
    I fixed iSight camera on MacBook7,1.

As well as replacing IOUSBHostFamily.kext, you need to also replace IOUSBFamily.kext.

There may be other fallout from this, nothing that I've seen yet but backup the old file & be careful!
    @netsrot39 ^^^

:)

12. Sevenfeet macrumors member

[Yawn]

[Reopening thread....]

HOLY MOTHER OF @$#^$!!!

I shouldn't have written off this effort. Looks like my Mac 3,1s may have a life after all....not to mention my elderly iMac 8,1, Macbook 2009 and Macbook Pro 2010.

But I'm going to start with my new guinea pig in this effort, a Mac Mini 2010 that was recently gifted to me. It's got a clean hard drive and it's itching for something to do. So let's do this.

13. netsrot39 macrumors member

Dude you are awesome :) First the big improvement with the support for real graphics acceleration and then fixing the iSight Cam :D. Many thanks! My MacBook 7,1 has new life :D

14. Luckygreek macrumors regular

Luckygreek

Does the Mojave Installer have any firmware updates included? Assuming it does (or not in an early beta) and if yes, where the firmware updaters go, EFI of which drive? Do they modify the official firmware version currently in use?

15. visberry macrumors regular

visberry

Le
    Let us know how it goes!

16. idealtracks, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

idealtracks macrumors member

Incredible work by all! Thank you!

Reporting another successful 2008 MacPro 3,1 install with beta3--currently using a $45 Nvidia GTX 285 video card and dual screens are working fine! (Selected the Legacy Video option in dosdude1's wonderful patcher app.) Sleep works. Also very pleased that my Apogee Duet Firewire still works fine using the 2014 Mavericks drivers!

Clearly Apple could officially support our older hardware if they gave just a bit of care and effort!

I can also confirm an earlier report I saw that the MacPro is now using about 10% less energy when compared with High Sierra (as measured by my UPS, idle desktop).

17. drpaul38 macrumors newbie

I have been following this tread for some time. This is my first post on macrumors as well. Is it possible to run macOS X 10.14 Mojave on a 2011 macbook air? If so is there a place go and fin all the steps needed to do it? I also have a late 2009 macbook pro 2.66 mHz C2D that I am wondering if it will run mojave as well. Again any help would be appreciated. I hate that Apple has sunset so many old devices that are still fine computers. Please help or direct me if you can. Thanks to all who have help to make this possible for so many people.
    Paul

18. Luckygreek, Jul 11, 2018

Luckygreek macrumors regular

Luckygreek

Go to page 1 for patch. There is also a list of "supported" Mac's. A lot of members have had success installing Mojave to "vintage" PB.
    ctaylora1231 said:
    download the patcher tool from page 1 of this thread, download Mojave beta installer from tool menu in patcher app. erased USB drive to Mac OS X journaled guid. verified installer with patcher app. select new named drive from drive options. start operation.

19. Aletancredo macrumors member

Aletancredo

Thanks do you have the link for donwload?

20. ASentientBot, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018

ASentientBot macrumors 6502

ASentientBot

Replace it with a copy from High Sierra.

@dosdude1, planning to include this in the patch?
    Also, not a major issue but just slightly odd. A folder called com.apple.AdLib appeared at the root of my hard drive in Mojave. Anybody else notice this? Wondering if it's a side effect of running on this computer (unlikely) or just a beta bug?

21. Starplayr, Jul 11, 2018

Starplayr macrumors 6502

Starplayr

No.
    That sounds right to me.

22. videotape74 macrumors member

videotape74

Yes, but it still will not boot. I am running the install again now...maybe I'll get lucky.

23. Edgecrusherr macrumors member

Edgecrusherr

So just an update on my APFS possible issue on my MacBook Pro Late 2011 17" MacBookPro8,3. It does indeed work on HFS+ but not the APFS volume I have.

I ended up wiping my 10.11 partition, then did the install there. I did everything else the same way: same USB drive that I used the first time around, same computer, and internal drive (SSD), and same post install options for patching. The only difference is the first time around I did it on an APSF container that I made a little section for 10.14. This container was shared with my 10.13 install. The HFS+ volume is its own little partition. So my theory is that something on that shared APFS volume is screwing it up. What I will do is get another SSD and do a clean install as APFS to see if it makes a difference.

24. Starplayr macrumors 6502

Starplayr

MMMM... Did you reboot the Mojave Patcher and run the Post Install app?

25. parrotgeek1, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.