Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
I've just released version 1.1.8 of Catalina Patcher, which fixes the incompatibility with the latest macOS Catalina Installer App (15.0.33). I've also added a new Volume Control Patch for some iMac systems.

EDIT: Updated to 1.1.9 due to crucial issue with Legacy Video Card Patch

Last edited:

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
I get an error:
Error loading kext
an error occurred while attempting to load DisableLibraryValidation.kext

i am trying to install on a late 2008 MBP that is currently running 10.11.6

any ideas?

thanks
That should hopefully now be fixed with version 1.1.9 of Catalina Patcher.

Reactions: TimothyR734

astronyu

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2013
Yes, it does.
Installed the 1.1.8 and the installation seems to go on a long time. The progress bar below apple logo (grey background) is fully completed and nothing happened. I tried force restart my mbp and when it came back, same thing.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Installed the 1.1.8 and the installation seems to go on a long time. The progress bar below apple logo (grey background) is fully completed and nothing happened. I tried force restart my mbp and when it came back, same thing.
Just keep waiting. It takes a long time at that stage.

Glujaz

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2019
Paris, France
I've just released version 1.1.8 of Catalina Patcher, which fixes the incompatibility with the latest macOS Catalina Installer App (15.0.33). I've also added a new Volume Control Patch for some iMac systems.

Have you update the patch with the missing brightness control for the 5,2 macbook too ? :)

Vinc26

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2017
Hi there,

I've made a clean install yesterday based on 1.1.7 patcher. Everything seems to have gone well, including after install patching, and automatique patch updater.

But today, in Terminal, when trying "csrutil status", it says "unknown" with all configurations "disabled".
- Is that normal?
- If I want to protect my MacPro by re-enable csrutil, is something will go wrong?
- What will happen at the next macOS minor update?

Finally, when you say that 1.1.9 fixes a crucial issue with Legacy Video Card Patch, how to benefit of this in an older install like mine?

Thanks for ALL dosdude1 !!! :)

Sorenh1

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2019
Los Angeles

I still get "This copy of install os Catalina application is damaged and can't be used to install mac os" I have tried external/internal drives and usb drives. Mac Pro 2009 with 5,1. New installer and 15.0.33!

Last edited:

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
No issues here on the Mac Pro using Patcher 1.1.9 and the 15.0.33 Installer including the Supplemental Update. Used my MBP to download from the App Store and 'Installed to this Machine' over the first public release.

cMP @ 10.15 & Supplemental.png

Last edited:

lamerz78

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2018
Italy
Nope.....HS is in APFS container....error during restore option....

I’m trying CCC from Catalina.....but I have doubts.....

Tried CCC from HS results in error.... boot land to black screen and then shut down automatically.

Also ordered from Amazon Thunderbolt/Fireware adaptor.....last option.....until reswap the video card 2 times?

Edit:
Order Amazon CANCELLED !!!!

The cloning option with CCC was successfully accomplished!!!!!

THE IMAC boots from its internal SSD !!!

Now I’ m restoring from time capsule....

See you tomorrow to final cheers!

?

Hi all.....my iMac won’t boot.... after restoring the data with data migration.

Now I don’t know if the problem is the data migration....or some issue involving the suspend mode....

GSXB

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2018
England
Question for all, how do I overwrite/ upgrade an existing Catalina installation.
As each time I get to the install to a drive it says “locked” and it’s greyed out. Surely I should be able to upgrade my existing system ????
[automerge]1571209938[/automerge]
No issues here on the Mac Pro using Patcher 1.1.9 and the 15.0.33 Installer including the Supplemental Update. Used my MBP to download from the App Store and 'Installed to this Machine' over the first public release.

View attachment 869861
Is this how we upgrade, by using install to this machine. Also how did you get the coloured sidebar icons ???

FoxxMulder

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2018
I have been installed macOS Catalina in my Mac Pro 4.1 → 5.1 with the DosDude Catalina Patcher, evrything OK, but i have a question, yesterday Apple launch a Sumplementary Update (19A602) for 10.15, i search the update with Software update but it doesn't appears.

What i have to do to get the new update?, i will have the same problem everytime when a big update will be released?

Thank you.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Hi all.....my iMac won’t boot.... after restoring the data with data migration.

Now I don’t know if the problem is the data migration....or some issue involving the suspend mode....

Plug your external working Catalina USB, after iMac power-on hold alt-option key for 20 seconds, then click the right arrow, and press-enter, if you see LED light activity from your external USB that means you're booting from there, so you can access your iMac in GUI Mode.

If still no bootscreen, again repeat, the process, and click twice the right arrow, and press-enter.
You need to manual set again from a Startup Disk your main APFS HighSierra boot volume, since after a full installation or cloning (with CCC that I don't use), the main OSX boot disk even after a PRAM reset, is still the latest installed or cloned one, not the surely working APFS HighSierra.

These tests are enough fast since you have an SSD.

Probably something went wrong during your data migration, that migrated some Mojave caches incompatible with Catalina, due to the fact that apple splitted the System from the Data.

Flacko

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2018
UK
I have been installed macOS Catalina in my Mac Pro 4.1 → 5.1 with the DosDude Catalina Patcher, evrything OK, but i have a question, yesterday Apple launch a Sumplementary Update (19A602) for 10.15, i search the update with Software update but it doesn't appears.

What i have to do to get the new update?, i will have the same problem everytime when a big update will be released?

Thank you.
At present you will have to download the full installer and install over your present Catalina. Use patcher 1.1.9 and it will download the new Catalina(19A602) for you. Just completed it on my cMP5.1 with the install to this machine over the top of Catalina 15.0. All went smoothly - thanks dosdude1.

Edit: At the moment there is no OTA method for us using the patcher so you will not find new versions of Catalina in the preferences update.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
I tried to understand how an OTA Sofware-update works on a Catalina supported Mac, it's not much a matter of softwarecatalogURL, rather it's something related to the machine-id (serial number, board serial number), so in theory spoofing temporary the machine as a supported mac should allow to detect and install the OTA (minor versions updates), but there is only a risk, that it may issue an unwanted EFI firmware update that if not interrupted quickly might brick the machine.

I noticed that OTA downloaded packages from a supported Catalina Mac are placed here (I consider this phase the "OTA stage1 downloader/pre-installer"):

/Volumes/"Catalina" Data/Library/Updates/

there are downloaded some Product-plists and stand-alone packages (RecoveryUpdate.pkg, FirmwareUpdate.pkg, etc.) but mainly the one required is the "macOSUpd10.15.X.pkg", after with some kind of "createinstallmedia style" commands, apple unpackage them to this path:

/Volumes/"Catalina" Data/MacOS Install Data/

this becomes a bootable Volume that contains a "OTA stage2 installer", because also OTA updates have a stage1 installer (that is the OTA downloading and preparing in-place), then also the OTA phase issues a reboot to machine and after it prompts a preliminary "EFI firmware update" (big apple logo with big loading bar), followed after another second-auto-reboot by the stage2 OTA installation.

lamerz78

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2018
Italy
Plug your external working Catalina USB, after iMac power-on hold alt-option key for 20 seconds, then click the right arrow, and press-enter, if you see LED light activity from your external USB that means you're booting from there, so you can access your iMac in GUI Mode.

If still no bootscreen, again repeat, the process, and click twice the right arrow, and press-enter.
You need to manual set again from a Startup Disk your main APFS HighSierra boot volume, since after a full installation or cloning (with CCC that I don't use), the main OSX boot disk even after a PRAM reset, is still the latest installed or cloned one, not the surely working APFS HighSierra.

These tests are enough fast since you have an SSD.

Probably something went wrong during your data migration, that migrated some Mojave caches incompatible with Catalina, due to the fact that apple splitted the System from the Data.

Yes I’ll do tonight some tries....
Doing a PRAM reset HS boots correctly.
I’ve tried to manually set the Catalina boot from system preferences but still boot loop.
I’m pretty sure something goes wrong in importing data, not the cloning itself, ‘cause the cloned “empty os” boots regularly from ssd after cloning.

Pluda

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2018
Hello,
I'm a bit confused with all this updates /beta/goldmasters... I've macOS 10.15 (19A583), installed last Saturday, working pretty fine. Yesterday a pop-up opened asking me to evaluate beta version.
Is this a beta version? Since everything works as expected, do I really need to upgrade or can I just continue using this version? If continuing, can I in some point update just the security improvements?
Thanks!

astronyu

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2013
Just keep waiting. It takes a long time at that stage.
5 and half hour later, still showing same screen, loading bar underneath apple logo.
Not sure what is wrong. Probably going to try installing again.
For MBP 13" Late 2011, 1.1.8 and 1.1.9 doesn't makes a difference, right?

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Think this is a bug or limitation to running Cat on my 2011 MBP. On the Photo app, I do not have the icon or view to "All Photo's" in the sidebar. Therefore I can't get to the slick new screen with all the different sized photo's and video previews.

Here are some screenshots of the issue:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.