Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

poke36878

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2019
Uk
and @CsYager

@pkouame made the original Mojave hybrid patches with @testheit, he explained HIToolBox is a tricky and an important framework contained inside the Carbon.framework , responsible of "drawing" the "OSX Finder UI" , even if previous version files worked, @pkouame often wrote that to avoid side effects it should be re-patched over the latest apple macOS release, because they may introduce some changes to it.

I guess this is the case, HIToolBox to work should be "binary hybrid re-patched" using the current Catalina one 19A602.

edit:
I succesfully binary patched (following the original method of pkouame and testheit) the current HIToolBox, here attached, open a Catalina Terminal and copy/paste this one line at once:

sudo mount -uw / ; killall Finder
open /S*/L*/F*/C*/V*/A/F*/HIT*/V*/A/

and replace on-the-fly (do not rename) with the attached file, then log-out and log-in and you will get again the non-transparent/flat finder top-menu in light (and dark) mode.

I seem to be doing something wrong as every time I try I get 'HIToolbox: cannot execute binary file' so it fails. what am I doing wrong? Commandlines were never my strong point......

Reactions: TimothyR734

cogitarius

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
I'm trying to download and install the Supplemental update... is there anyway to do that without doing a reinstall through the patcher?

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
1. Put this in your /Library/LaunchDaemons folder then reboot then take the HIToolbox put into /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A Folder reboot

Attachments

• CatalinaAutoMountWritable.plist.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 245

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
I'm trying to download and install the Supplemental update... is there anyway to do that without doing a reinstall through the patcher?
If you are using an unsupported Mac you only have a few choices to install the supplemental update either by creating a new patcher or use the install to this machine method within the Catalina patcher

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
It will ALWAYS be the release version, as this tool is designed for use with the general public, who won't want to be running a beta version. You can make it download a beta version by manually editing the CatalogURL in DownloadSettings.plist, located in the app bundle.
What do I add or change?

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
it would be something like this but I think we need a new link https://swscan.apple.com/content/ca...ion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz I tried this when Cat 10.15.1 Dev Beta 1 came out by editing the DownloadSettings.plist in the Catalina Patcher ended up with a corrupted patcher so I tried the macOS Downloader and it downloaded the GM version but it didn't corrupt the macOS Downloader today when Cat 10.15.1 Dev Beta 2 came out I downloaded first using the patcher and then the macOS downloader both downloaded 15.0.33

Pinarek

Suspended
Sep 16, 2009
Wilsonville, Oregon
@TimothyR734 Is the DP2 from 10.15.1 already out?
and you have with this you have with synonymous with the DP2 of 10.15.1 get as a full installer?

"the macOS Downloader today when Cat 10.15.1 Dev Beta 2 came out I downloaded first using the patcher and then the macOS downloader both downloaded 15.0.33"

Update:

Yes the new DP2 is out.. Thanky You TimothyR734
on my native supportet Hacki is all ok with coming DP2 see here

Attachments

• 10.15.1-DP2-on-my-Hacki.png
    10.15.1-DP2-on-my-Hacki.png
    373.8 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

zucc4prez

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2019
@dosdude1 When trying to install patched Catalina on a 3,1 Mac Pro upgrading from El Capitan I get the following error: "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." around the "4 minutes remaining" mark. I saw somebody on this thread post about the same issue and you suggested using the latest Patcher version, but I have used the 1.1.9 in my case. I converted from HFS to APFS so can't even boot to system anymore. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you

Shadow Demon

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2018
@dosdude1 When trying to install patched Catalina on a 3,1 Mac Pro upgrading from El Capitan I get the following error: "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." around the "4 minutes remaining" mark. I saw somebody on this thread post about the same issue and you suggested using the latest Patcher version, but I have used the 1.1.9 in my case. I converted from HFS to APFS so can't even boot to system anymore. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you

You know I am thinking you really should have jumped on the unsupported bandwagon for your MacPro 3,1 at sometime after El Capitan. There are patchers for Sierra, High Sierra, and Mojave. I don't know for sure but I used all three of these previous patchers for my 3,1 with successive upgrades with no problem.

BigSmileMan

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2018
Hi! Need your help! Have MacBookAir 4.2 updated form Mojave to Catalina GM. With auto installed patches. All went good except no AirDrop at all. Nowhere! Wifi and BT works good. On Mojave it was with working continuity and handoff.
Used scripts and manual methods described earlier here like did in Mojave.

Tried clean install on external drive. Same thing. I saw same few posts here recently with no answer at all.
Onlу thing I installed "APFS BootROM Support" patch from Dosdude1's patcher site just in case before update. But I don't think it's the source of question.

Here some hardware data from terminal if it helps

@macbook-Air ~ % ioreg -l | grep "board-id" | awk -F\" '{print $4}'

Mac-742912EFDBEE19B3

@macbook-Air ~ % ioreg -r -n ARPT | grep IOName

| "IOName" = "pci14e4,4353"

@macbook-Air ~ % system_profiler -detailLevel mini | grep "Card Type"

2019-10-16 16:49:54.941 system_profiler[72776:612781] SystemInfo-AccessoryFW from dict - AirPods = 0x0688

2019-10-16 16:49:54.941 system_profiler[72776:612781] SystemInfo-AccessoryFW - iPhone : no firmware version info available

2019-10-16 16:50:03.488 system_profiler[72807:613325] SPUSBDevice: IOCreatePlugInInterfaceForService failed 0xe00002be

2019-10-16 16:50:03.489 system_profiler[72807:613325] SPUSBDevice: IOCreatePlugInInterfaceForService failed 0xe00002be

Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0xE9)

Any help to resolve this issue? Ask if needed additional info or screenshots

Now on Catalina supplemental. Waiting for updated BlueSky patch. Worked on GM, now fully hangs system.

And thank you!

Last edited:

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
Apparently Series 7 Sata Support has been dropped in 10.15.1 Beta 2 the C602 Intel Series 7 Drivers are no longer there.

Pretty much what I expected was going to happen... that Apple would start pruning out the remaining bits left from the depreciated MacPro 5,1 support. Do you where these resided? Hopefully just in a kext plugin that can be added back.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Pretty much what I expected was going to happen... that Apple would start pruning out the remaining bits left from the depreciated MacPro 5,1 support. Do you where these resided? Hopefully just in a kext plugin that can be added back.
Yeah, just like the old Intel chipset IDE drivers. Should be nothing more than adding back a removed kext.

Starplayr

Cancelled
Jun 13, 2018
You will need to reinstall to purge out the legacy video patches which break the Metal supported GTX680's video. As for DisplayPort, you're currently out of luck. This is part of the slow regression in the now unsupported MacPro 5,1's 'support' in Catalina.

I think it is possible to bring DisplayPort back. I got it back with Clover and with some edits on a Mac Pro 3,1, it may be possible without Clover. I will have time in about 2 weeks to mess with it.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I have a file /usr/local/sbin/patchupdaterd which seems to crash periodically. I think it's trying to launch /Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/MacOS/Patch Updater but in Catalina, the updater is at /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch\ Updater.app.

Is patchupdaterd from Mojave Patcher (possibly placed there by Migration Assistant)? It has a creation date of September 27, 2018. Should I delete it? Is there a difference mechanism that runs Patch Updater.app?

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
I have a file /usr/local/sbin/patchupdaterd which seems to crash periodically. I think it's trying to launch /Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/MacOS/Patch Updater but in Catalina, the updater is at /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch\ Updater.app.

Is patchupdaterd from Mojave Patcher (possibly placed there by Migration Assistant)? It has a creation date of September 27, 2018. Should I delete it? Is there a difference mechanism that runs Patch Updater.app?
Yes, delete it. It's leftover from Mojave Patcher.

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
I wouldn't give up hope yet maybe possible to apply a patch like the legacy IDE patch

It isn't clear which of the loaded extensions would even contain those drivers. I suspect we are entering the realm where we have to keep a list of loaded extensions and verify that they are all still present in the point releases.

The only thing that looks remotely like that would be Apple16X50ACPI and Apple16X50Serial.

Starplayr

Cancelled
Jun 13, 2018
I got through literally all posts you made in last days. I'm sitting here with the same issue although my machine is MacBook Pro 13 2011. I even downloaded clover and clover configurator but I'm completely unaware what should I do with it in my case. And I don't want to break anything.

I got that you don't have that much time to mess around (jobs and everything) with helping but I would highly thank you if you could somehow put an instruction on what to do to make my display port working the same way you did. I don't mind waiting at all. Thanks anyway for putting any info on the common issue with DisplayPort me and others are experiencing...

Fair enough.

Here is the short version that might give you results:

0. It helps to install an OS on the drive you intend to use Clover on. (more on this in a sec).

1. Using Clover Configurator, use it to mount an EFI Partition, preferably one that is on a USB Drive so you won't mess up your system. I recommend a 32 GB or bigger USB Drive for this and it seems to help to have an OS installed on this disk for the EFI Partition to show up. [Also Clover Configurator tends to hang up a lot, so do not be alarmed if you have to force quit it and reopen it].

2. Then using Clover install clover on the mounted EFI partition. Use all the default settings.

3. Reboot holding down the option key.

4. On most systems you will have 2 EFI Partitions for the disk that you installed Clover onto. The Clover EFI Boot Loader is always directly next to the OS. And using an External USB Drive makes this really obvious. The other EFI Partition is for the system. It will be on the far left. Clover in the middle right next to the OS on the USB Drive.

5. select that EFI partition and Clover Boot Loader should appear.

6. Select the Disk you want to keep using the cursor keys on the Clover Boot loader.

---------------

Bonus:

If your system happens to not boot, change less stuff by creating a new config.plist file. In the SMBIOS section on Clover Configurator, use the upload / down arrows in the lower right corner, pick the iMac 10,1 27" 2009 iMac config. Copy its Board ID. It is short Mac-XXXXXX. Then select the config to your computer system instead, and just past the board ID. This is the least evasive approach. And keeps most of your SMBIOS Settings to standard.

Mount the EFI Partition again and replace out the config.plist file

-----

I am traveling and did all this from memory. I hope if helps you out. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be happy to elaborate.

I do not condone this method and fully intend to create a better option that does not rely on a boot loader. I've dealt with Clover last year when we were getting black screens and KP's ln Mac Pro 3,1 before the Telemtry culprit was discovered.

--------

If all ends well, you will have hopefully DisplayPort or MiniDisplayPort working again.

Be patient and try to use a USB Drive if you have one. That way you can reformat it as much as you want. You can use an internal disk, but until you've mastered this technique, I don't recommend trying it.

--------

BONUS 2 how to mount your own EFI Partition:

You can mount EFI partitions manually using the Command line. It takes a little longer but it does work.

See:

-------

Please note the admins of this site do not recommend using clover. I have supplied this info as requested. It is meant to be a temporary workaround only. Do not attempt installing Updates using Apple's Software update. They will fail after a long while. Apple has added extra copy protection on the point updates.

Last edited:

Starplayr

Cancelled
Jun 13, 2018
It isn't clear which of the loaded extensions would even contain those drivers. I suspect we are entering the realm where we have to keep a list of loaded extensions and verify that they are all still present in the point releases.

The only thing that looks remotely like that would be Apple16X50ACPI and Apple16X50Serial.
I have ACPI working on my Catwoman patcher. It also enables ATAPI DVD. And Also have have support for standard HFS Discs (Pre HFS+). So hopefully its IOATAFamily.kext and its plugins.

Who knows what the actual point updates will have. I am sticking with those and don't plan on using the developer betas and previews anymore.

I do hope someone is keeping all the downloads for all the betas. That could prove to be helpful for fixes.
[automerge]1571356005[/automerge]
I wouldn't give up hope yet maybe possible to apply a patch like the legacy IDE patch

I would not count out the MP 5,1 just yet.

But yeah, seems like Apple is cleaning house lately. I may be forced to purchase a Mac Mini or MacBook Pro next year.

s.ruizpe

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2019
If you are using an unsupported Mac you only have a few choices to install the supplemental update either by creating a new patcher or use the install to this machine method within the Catalina patcher
Could you please extend this reply for unsupported Macs?

First option: do you mean by creating a new usb using 1.1.9 and then reboot from the usb to install a new Patcher Updater on the Catalina disk?
Second option: do you mean install again the last version in the store (containing the supplemental update) over the same Catalina disk?

If the supplemental update is not install, would it be possible to install new updates? is the Software Update broken?
If the supplemental update is not install, might that update come within the next Catalina update?

Thanks and excuse me for all my questions.

Reactions: asheenlevrai

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Yes you ned to use Catalina patcher versions 1.1.9 if you have macOS Catalina 15.0.33 which is the supplemental update I would recommend using the bootable installer but the install to this machine also works
Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 4.52.36 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.