Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

hybra

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Great news (for my old MBP4,1 anyway) - got the 10.15.4 beta 1 up and running with NVidia GT full acceleration!

Does that mean that I can expect some performance improvements with 10.15.4? I am on 10.15.2 on my MBP 4,1 now (dosdude patch), quite well and without issues. But if there will be improvements I may decide to push forward to the newer version, so what upgrade method will be necessary to use?

Reactions: TimothyR734

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Does that mean that I can expect some performance improvements with 10.15.4? I am on 10.15.2 on my MBP 4,1 now (dosdude patch), quite well and without issues. But if there will be improvements I may decide to push forward to the newer version, so what upgrade method will be necessary to use?
First, if you have 10.15.2 with graphics card patches for your MBP4,1 you should run with full accel already. No change here with an update to 10.15.4. Improvements are more in the field of bug fixes, better hand-off functionality (at least if you have exchanged the old wifi card with a newer one), extended alternative input methods (i.e. camera based mouse pointer movement). Simply put, no disadvantages, a couple of improvements. Once 10.5.4 is out in a final release, it should be a no-brainer ;-)
Until then, you need a APFS capable (patched) boot ROM to update from .2 or .4 - and the two scripts that make the update appear at all in system settings and let the computer boot the 2nd installer stage. Without this, you´d end up with the existing installation untouched.

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
DAMN...

Do you have an instruction to do so?

Thankyou.

Updates are working then?
it will work with catalina
DAMN...

Do you have an instruction to do so?

Thankyou.

Updates are working then?
yes it will work with catalina, no cloning needed, use terminal to create a raid, create a gpt and format it APFS, install Catalina right the very end of installation, you get "bless" error, move or rename bootcaches.plist to bootcaches.bak before rebooting, installation will finish, same procedure after applying updates rename bootcaches.plist. good luck.

raid-catalina.png

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Yes, I did both: reapplied detected patches for the MacPro5,1: rebooted and no integrated audio. Then again booted from the boot USB and tried applying the "Legacy Audio Patch" from @dosdude1's patcher and still no integrated audio. ?

You dont need an audio patch for 5.1, you can just get it away the easy way by re installing the complete system over it.

After all you dont need a single patch for Catalina for 5.1, except the unsupported nvram argument.

sudo nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check"

Last edited:

gbecattini

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
Hello Friends,
there are two months that I am using my Mac 3,1 with Catalina thanks to your wonderful work, absolutely without any problem.
Today I had a doubt: how did I left the SIP? I checked and I am getting the following messages:
  • Apple Internal: disabled
  • Kext Signing: disabled
  • Filesystem Protections: disabled
  • Debugging Restrictions: disabled
  • DTrace Restrictions: disabled
  • NVRAM Protections: disabled
  • BaseSystem Verification: disabled
I tried PRAM reset and then I booted an old DVD and used Terminal from the setup menu to to "csrutil enable", and I got the success message.

But again from Catalina I get the same messages list.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

16v

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2018

yes it will work with catalina, no cloning needed, use terminal to create a raid, create a gpt and format it APFS, install Catalina right the very end of installation, you get "bless" error, move or rename bootcaches.plist to bootcaches.bak before rebooting, installation will finish, same procedure after applying updates rename bootcaches.plist. good luck.

View attachment 895737
O.k.

But
Do you have detailed instructions how to do it?
Thank you

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Hello Friends,
there are two months that I am using my Mac 3,1 with Catalina thanks to your wonderful work, absolutely without any problem.
Today I had a doubt: how did I left the SIP? I checked and I am getting the following messages:
  • Apple Internal: disabled
  • Kext Signing: disabled
  • Filesystem Protections: disabled
  • Debugging Restrictions: disabled
  • DTrace Restrictions: disabled
  • NVRAM Protections: disabled
  • BaseSystem Verification: disabled
I tried PRAM reset and then I booted an old DVD and used Terminal from the setup menu to to "csrutil enable", and I got the success message.

But again from Catalina I get the same messages list.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
That is normal to see that when the SIP is disabled and it needs to be kept disabled others the patches could fail

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
hello lars ... where is there a special "hackintosh thread" for unsupported Mac machines in the Macrumors forum ? thanks for an info.
in the German forums (the 3 pieces ... I think YOU probably know them all) is only about the latest Hackintosh with the latest hardware, but not about the older, no longer supporting Mac's.
That's why and that's why I'm here. By the way, can you also be reached in the German forums or under Insanelymac?

write me please an PN
Mere 30s of searching brought me to this thread here on MR, covering non-Apple machines running macOS, aka hackintoshes.
I´ve once had accounts on several of the mentioned non-MR forums, but since approx. 93% of all my machines are (old, vintage, obsolete) Apple, I have not actively used them for a couple of years now.
I also closed my account on MacTechNews recently due to imho unbearable intolerance to non-mainstream ideas encountered there.

Last edited:

applCore

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
Probably you should use the AppleHDA.kext from Mojave, but since you have a Metal GPU don't you use the hdmi/displayport audio output?

No, I use the line out - no HDMI audio.

You dont need an audio patch for 5.1, you can just get it away the easy way by re installing the complete system over it.

After all you dont need a single patch for Catalina for 5.1, except the unsupported nvram argument.

sudo nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check"

So you're saying that instead of updating from 10.15.2 to 10.15.3 I should have done a complete reinstall? Updating to .3 is what got me to this point where the audio wouldn't work and I'm just trying suggestions that might help since "line out" audio just simply was no longer recognized after the .3 update.

Did Apple do something funky with the .3 update where they only now support HDMI and DisplayPort audio?

fabioroberto

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2013
Hi everyone!

I release my cosmetic enhancement for the window (frame view) and popover corners that have been updated for the Metal.
The correction of the mask corners will not be perfectly rounded like the High Sierra. But, the windows and popovers will be shown correctly with the shadow. The visual experience will be much more pleasant.
(download link)

Details are described in the file Readme. (Here)

Below, a comparison between High Sierra, Catalina/Mojave (unsupported) and the fix.
CornerFixDiff.png

CornerFix.png

I did my best. Apologize for not being better.

ASentientBot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2018
SkyLight.framework
Hi everyone!

I release my cosmetic enhancement for the window (frame view) and popover corners that have been updated for the Metal.
The correction of the mask corners will not be perfectly rounded like the High Sierra. But, the windows and popovers will be shown correctly with the shadow. The visual experience will be much more pleasant.
(download link)

Below, a comparison between High Sierra, Catalina/Mojave (unsupported) and the fix.
View attachment 895921
View attachment 895922

This looks AMAZING and I can't wait to try it when I get home ?

Fantastic work!

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Hi everyone!

(download link)

View attachment 895921
View attachment 895922
Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 10.36.59 AM.png

looking awesome Thank you :)
[automerge]1582569573[/automerge]
Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 10.36.26 AM.png

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
No, I use the line out - no HDMI audio.

So you're saying that instead of updating from 10.15.2 to 10.15.3 I should have done a complete reinstall? Updating to .3 is what got me to this point where the audio wouldn't work and I'm just trying suggestions that might help since "line out" audio just simply was no longer recognized after the .3 update.

Did Apple do something funky with the .3 update where they only now support HDMI and DisplayPort audio?

no no no

you dont need legacy audio patch for a Mac Pro 4.1 and 5.1

you need legacy audio patch just for a Mac Pro 3.1

no Idea what happens with a 4.1/5.1 and legacy audio patch - maybe no sound should be logical

Khadam

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2020
Hello!

How can I install latest patch? On my iMac mid 2011 21,5inch I have Catalina 10.15.2 but on my Macbook Air 2019 I have 10.15.3. What's up wtih that and how can I fix it?

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Hello!

How can I install latest patch? On my iMac mid 2011 21,5inch I have Catalina 10.15.2 but on my Macbook Air 2019 I have 10.15.3. What's up wtih that and how can I fix it?
If you are talking about the new cosmetic patch click on the download link post 8587 go to downloads folder unzip it the double click on the Catalina Icon and follow the instructions

Dannyy

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2018
Lviv, Ukraine
Hi everyone!

(download link)

View attachment 895921
View attachment 895922

You're a legend. I'm gonna try this right now.

UPD: Working flawlessly. Finally those annoying white corners in spotlight window are gone. Thank you.

Attachments

• Знімок екрана 2020-02-25 о 15.30.51.png
    Знімок екрана 2020-02-25 о 15.30.51.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 153
Last edited:

16v

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2018

View attachment 895737
I need help here.

Did it, using terminal but same result when choosing install macos again...

timthomason

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2018
hello all.. i am having fantom drives showing up on the installer drive windows, how do i remove them ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 10.56.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 10.56.17 AM.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 10.56.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 10.56.37 AM.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 123

Khadam

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2020
If you are talking about the new cosmetic patch click on the download link post 8587 go to downloads folder unzip it the double click on the Catalina Icon and follow the instructions

No, I am talking about normal Apple system updates. I don't know if each Mac OS computers have the same versions of MacOS or if there are some instances in which only particular devices (like laptops) receives them. Anyways, I want to know if DosDude's Catalina is able to be updated with Apple Catalina Updates or I am stuck with the version of Catalina which I used to create bootable usb to install it in the first place.

GDMSR

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2015
Rural France
No, I am talking about normal Apple system updates. I don't know if each Mac OS computers have the same versions of MacOS or if there are some instances in which only particular devices (like laptops) receives them. Anyways, I want to know if DosDude's Catalina is able to be updated with Apple Catalina Updates or I am stuck with the version of Catalina which I used to create bootable usb to install it in the first place.
My understanding is as follows; other more knowledgable members may well clarify the situation:
10.15.3 is the latest public version of Catalina, and is available to all Macs which support Catalina whether laptops or desktops. On an unsupported Mac where an earlier version of Catalina has been installed using Dosdude1's admirable Patcher, you will not see the updates to Catalina in the System Preferences - Software Update, as these have been disabled by the patcher. You can however update to the latest version of Catalina by running the latest Patcher tool again and downloading the latest Catalina from within the Patcher, just as you did the first time. Your data and applications will remain intact.

Khadam

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2020
My understanding is as follows; other more knowledgable members may well clarify the situation:
10.15.3 is the latest public version of Catalina, and is available to all Macs which support Catalina whether laptops or desktops. On an unsupported Mac where an earlier version of Catalina has been installed using Dosdude1's admirable Patcher, you will not see the updates to Catalina in the System Preferences - Software Update, as these have been disabled by the patcher. You can however update to the latest version of Catalina by running the latest Patcher tool again and downloading the latest Catalina from within the Patcher, just as you did the first time. Your data and applications will remain intact.

Thank you for your response. I will try that. If I encounter any difficulties I let you know again. Thank You very much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.