Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

twinboys

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
List of MacOS High Sierra 10.13 Compatible Macs
All new model Macs will be compatible with MacOS 10.13. The supported hardware list below shows the minimum system requirement Mac models capable of running macOS 10.13:
  • MacBook Pro – 2010 or later models
  • MacBook – Late 2009 or later models
  • MacBook Air – 2010 or later models
  • iMac – Late 2009 or later models
  • Mac Mini – 2010 or later models
  • Mac Pro – 2010 or later models
If you have a copy of macOS High Sierra format your ssd to HFS-Extended-Journaled install macOS High Sierra install all the updates there should be some firmware updates and also will make you Mac natively boot APFS since your can run High Sierra without any patches from Dosdude patcher after that boot into your Catalina Patcher go into the terminal enter csrutil disable reboot into the Catalina Patcher enter Disk utility format your ssd APFS then install macOS Catalina then on reboot after installation booting to the Catalina patcher and apply the post install patches for your Mac remember SIP needs to remain disabled :)

Hi TimothyR734. I'm very pleased with your response. My problem is I cannot reboot into the desktop after I have formatted the SSD to HFS Extended Journal and installed macOS High Sierra. I keep getting the dreaded "Flashing folder with Question mark" during reboot.

My current macOS is High Sierra but on a spindle HDD and I'm trying to use an SSD.

Can I install High Sierra as you described above but don't try to reboot into the desktop instead, boot into the Catalina Patcher and open the Terminal Window and disable SIP. Close Terminal and then continue with the Catalina installation as you describe?

Another thing worth noting. If I already have High Sierra installed on the HDD, why doesn't my current Boot ROM reflect what is shown on Apple's website as the most updated ROM?

Barry K. Nathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2018
Irvine, CA, USA
Can anyone tell what else I can try?
When you get the flashing folder with question mark, what happens if you hold down the power button (to turn the Mac off) then turn it back on? Do you still get the flashing folder with question mark, or does the problem go away?

I don't think your problem is having outdated firmware, but you can use SilentKnight to check. EDIT: I just checked on my own Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro (MacBookPro8,1) and 87.0.0.0.0 is the latest Boot ROM. The Apple page you linked to says "This article has been archived and is no longer updated by Apple."

Last edited:

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Hi TimothyR734. I'm very pleased with your response. My problem is I cannot reboot into the desktop after I have formatted the SSD to HFS Extended Journal and installed macOS High Sierra. I keep getting the dreaded "Flashing folder with Question mark" during reboot.

My current macOS is High Sierra but on a spindle HDD and I'm trying to use an SSD.

Can I install High Sierra as you described above but don't try to reboot into the desktop instead, boot into the Catalina Patcher and open the Terminal Window and disable SIP. Close Terminal and then continue with the Catalina installation as you describe?

Another thing worth noting. If I already have High Sierra installed on the HDD, why doesn't my current Boot ROM reflect what is shown on Apple's website as the most updated ROM?
another thing you can try is boot into the patcher macOS Catalina and up at the top the Apple Logo click on that and set your ssd as the start up disk then try and boot into High Sierra or just keep your ssd in and remove the hdd and try to install macOS Catalina on it but make sure it is formatted APFS

twinboys

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
When you get the flashing folder with question mark, what happens if you hold down the power button (to turn the Mac off) then turn it back on? Do you still get the flashing folder with question mark, or does the problem go away?

I don't think your problem is having outdated firmware, but you can use SilentKnight to check. EDIT: I just checked on my own Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro (MacBookPro8,1) and 87.0.0.0.0 is the latest Boot ROM. The Apple page you linked to says "This article has been archived and is no longer updated by Apple."

Hi Barry. I held down the Power Button and the MBP turned off. I turned it back on but still the "Flashing folder with Question mark". Thank you for providing the reassurance that I'm using the most current Boot ROM.

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 6.00.18 PM.png

[automerge]1592960570[/automerge]
Can anyone search your Mac for the finder.png I tried one I found from MacOS Big Sur and doesn't work thank you :)

Reactions: jackluke

thomasonlineva

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2020

Running SilentKnight on my 2008 MacPro shows a warning: " old EFI firmware 006C.B05.0802291410", would this be the result of running the APFS Room Update? Thanks

Reactions: TimothyR734

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Running SilentKnight on my 2008 MacPro shows a warning: " old EFI firmware 006C.B05.0802291410", would this be the result of running the APFS Room Update? Thanks
No you have a non supported Mac so no news firmware updates
[automerge]1592964691[/automerge]
Going to reinstall macOS Catalina 10.15.5.02 then reinstall 10.15.6 Dev beta as no one has the Finder.png

BBCWatcher

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Maine
I'm wondering if anyone has advice on how to get a MacBookAir3,1 (late 2010 MacBook Air 11") up and running with Catalina. This particular machine has the maximum 4GB of RAM. I'm having a really tough time getting anything installed, always with the dreaded "run diagnostics" error message in the installer (Core.pkg error in the log). I managed to get Catalina 10.15.3 on once with Catalina Patcher 1.3.4 long ago, but I cannot even do that now.

I'm using a HFS+ partition on an external USB hard drive as the installation drive for (patched) macOS Catalina if that matters, but I also tried a whole drive with only the one boot partition. I tried PRAM and SMC resets, and I double checked that it's running the latest APFS-related firmware that High Sierra eventually lays down if not already installed -- it is. (High Sierra is working on the machine in a separate partition.) I've tried starting with a partition formatted as HFS+ to see if that helps, but unfortunately not.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I want to update my Mac Pro 3.1 from 10.15.3 to 10.15.5.
I have download the latest dosdude macOS Catalina Patcher 1.4.4 and created the SUB key as always.
When I reboot the Mac Pro it does not recognize the USB Key but if I try into my iMac 27 2011 the USB work perfectly.
My Mac Pro has the APFS Rom patched.

Any suggestion to solve the USB Key boot in my Mac Pro 3.1?
Are you using a Mac Pro built in USB port?
Is the USB stick formatted as GPT?
Is the Installer partition HFS+?

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
I need help. I’m currently running High Sierra on the original spindle HDD. I want to upgrade the HDD to an SSD and install Catalina using dosdudes’ Patcher. I have two new Samsung SDD’s (256GB 830 Pro and 500GB 860 EVO).

I installed the 256GB SSD (formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled), GUID Partition Map) and did an in-place installation (Internet Recovery Option while holding Command + R) of High Sierra. On the next reboot I get the "Flashing folder with Question mark". I immediately erased the SSD and tried my steps again but with the same results. So, I thought it must be something with the new 256GB SSD.

I installed the 500GB SSD (formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled), GUID Partition Map) and did an in-place install of High Sierra and again, at the next reboot I get the "Flashing folder with Question mark".

So, I did an in-place installation (Internet Recovery Option while holding Shift, Command, Option + R) of the original macOS Mountain Lion. On the very next reboot I got the "Flashing folder with Question mark" again.

I put the original HDD back into the MBP and it rebooted with High Sierra without any problems.

I took the 256GB SSD and put it into an external enclosure and plugged it into the MBP. I erased the SDD and formatted it as stated above. I used “Disk Utility” to clone the HDD (High Sierra) onto the SDD. I used the “Startup Disk” preferences to select the SDD on the next reboot. Well, same results, I get the "Flashing folder with Question mark".

So now I’m getting frustrated. I rebooted into High Sierra using the original HDD and formatted the 256GB SSD with APFS file system. I downloaded “dosdudes’s macOS Catalina Patcher” and prepared the bootable USB (formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled), GUID Partition Map). I followed the Catalina install instruction outlined throughout this thread using the bootable USB but on my first reboot of Catalina, again I get the "Flashing folder with Question mark".

Can anyone tell what else I can try? Apparently, I’m having issues with a complete installation using an SSD.

I checked Apples website: EFI and SMC Firmware Updates for Intel-based Mac Computers (https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201518) and it has ROM Version: MBP81.0047.2AB (2015-001); SMC Version: 1.68f99. This is different from my specs below:

Model: MacbookPro 8,1 (Late 2011)
Processor: Intel Core I5 2.4 Ghz
Memory 16MB 1333 Mhz DDR3
Boot ROM Version: 87.0.0.0.0
SMC Version: 1.68f99
Sometimes Samsung SSDs are problematic, specially the "good ones". Try, if you can, a Samsung 850 or another brand

Smokey_Jack

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2020
. create a usb patcher 16gb you can also download a copy of macOS Catalina then once it is complete reboot your Mac hold the option key and choose the Catalina Patcher is your hdd/ssd your installing Catalina formatted APFS
how can I create a usb patcher? Once I open the application after I chose to use the installer I have already downloaded, I have the option either to install directly or to choose a usb drive. That's the point where I'm stuck because I receive the error message

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think MBP5,1 can use the ROM patcher. Instead, doesn’t it use the alternative APFS boot sequence?
I believe that the advice is, if you have a MCP79 AHCI (look under SATA/SATA Express in the System Report - no need to open the laptop) you shouldn't try patching the ROM because it's highly likely to brick the machine. The alternative APFS post-install patch works perfectly on my MBP5,1.

lumos

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2016
Are you using a Mac Pro built in USB port?
Is the USB stick formatted as GPT?
Is the Installer partition HFS+?

Hi joevt, thank you for your answer,

I have put the USB key into the front USB ports.
Yes, the key is GPT formatted
Yes, the Installer partition is HFS+

However I changed the USB key with another one 16GB and with this new USB key the installer has been recognized.
If I put the previous USB key my Mac Pro does not recognize it but the iMac yes.

This is very weird.

After change the USB key I have updated successfully my macOS to 10.15.5 but I'm curious to know why the first USB key has not been recognized holding the ALT key.
So, I have decided to make a dd from the new USB to the old and see what happen.
I'll post here the result, maybe can help others with the same problem.

Larz3n

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2019
Denmark
I have been using Mohave for nearly two years now on my MBP 8,3 with faulty AMD GPU thanks to all you pioneers here in these forums for unsupported MACs. Especially @dosdude1 who made it possible for almost anyone to run these OS’es on unsupported MACs.

I have been testing Catalina on an external drive for a year now and I finally decided to install it over my Mohave. And it is doing great. No Sleep/wake issues, Contiuity working flawless thanks to @jackluke . The only thing I’m missing is the Power Management for the AMD GPU. I have been using the trick described in this forum https://gist.github.com/cdleon/d16e7743e6f056fedbebc329333d79df but in Catalina it is simply not possible to load the AMDRadeonX3000.kext anymore. I suspect that this is caused by som 32 bit code in this kext.

I have run the command sudo kextlibs AMDRadeonX3000.kext and got this result

Code:
For all architectures:
    com.apple.iokit.IOAcceleratorFamily2 = 438.5.4
    com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily = 519.15
    com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily = 2.9
    com.apple.iokit.IOSurface = 269.11
    com.apple.kpi.bsd = 19.5
    com.apple.kpi.iokit = 19.5
    com.apple.kpi.libkern = 19.5
    com.apple.kpi.mach = 19.5

For x86_64:
    107 symbols not found in any library kext.

Does the unknown x86_64 synbols mean that it is 32 bit code and there is no hope to get this running in Catalina?

It would be great to have an extra two hours on the battery again with this fix without doing something to the hardware.

I know it is in the eleventh hour with Big Sur coming but I think if it would be fixed here, it might work in Big Sur as well.

Please could somebody help?

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
how can I create a usb patcher? Once I open the application after I chose to use the installer I have already downloaded, I have the option either to install directly or to choose a usb drive. That's the point where I'm stuck because I receive the error message
your usb has to be 16gb and formatted HFS Extended Journaled create your patcher then reboot hold the option button and instal Catalina after installation apply your post install patches if you have spare usb try making one with or try another USB port if having creating make sure are you the latest patcher 1.4.4

Peatwheat

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2015
Bueller, Bueller? ...Anyone? Bueller?
[automerge]1593061368[/automerge]
Ran into a Nvidia GTX 765 touting specific compatibility for the 2011 iMacs. I questioned the seller immediately about backlight, brightness control, and boot screen. I would be nice to be able to save some of those iMacs. And at $150, not too bad.

Last edited:

eVasilis

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2010
Now we'll soon be receiving, probably, the last update for Catalina, I can't help but feel a bit annoyed at the fact that Music.app is still the crawler it was when it first appeared and that the Finder can't "remember" its own settings. In fact the latter, has had that problem for years, in almost all versions of macos 10.

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
[…] the Finder can't "remember" its own settings. In fact the latter, has had that problem for years, in almost all versions of macos 10.
I have had this ones in the last 6 years, but after resetting the Finder with AppCleaner I never experienced this again. Sounds to me like some kind of damaged preferences.plist.

lumos

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2016
Hi joevt, thank you for your answer,

I have put the USB key into the front USB ports.
Yes, the key is GPT formatted
Yes, the Installer partition is HFS+

However I changed the USB key with another one 16GB and with this new USB key the installer has been recognized.
If I put the previous USB key my Mac Pro does not recognize it but the iMac yes.

This is very weird.

After change the USB key I have updated successfully my macOS to 10.15.5 but I'm curious to know why the first USB key has not been recognized holding the ALT key.
So, I have decided to make a dd from the new USB to the old and see what happen.
I'll post here the result, maybe can help others with the same problem.

Even with the DD the original USB disk (a Kingston DataTraveler 16GB G3) does not work.
The update work well with other USB disks.
If anyone encounter problems (USB not recognized on the Apple Boot Menu), the only solution is to change the USB key.

DWomack

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2020
I updated my unsupported iMac mid 2008 to Catalina 10.15.3 with dosdude1's software about 3 months ago.

Is it safe to let it upgrade to 10.15.5 through software update?

I'll use CCC to back it up before doing it.

Thanks,

Dennis

eVasilis

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2010
I have had this ones in the last 6 years, but after resetting the Finder with AppCleaner I never experienced this again. Sounds to me like some kind of damaged preferences.plist.
I did delete all related preferences to no avail

BeefimusMaximus

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2020
So, I've been having GPU panic crashes randomly on my MBP 5,1. They have no regular interval and I've experienced them from shortly after boot to hours (sometimes more than a day) after. Can anyone help me interpret this crash report? Not sure if its a specific app(s) or something more serious (hopefully not...). Report attached.

Attachments

• CrashReport.txt
    7.8 KB · Views: 62

Jalu

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2004
Any more news on the Safari extensions problem?

I have recently acquired a mid-2011 MacBook Air, and after a fresh Catalina (-patcher) install, it is impossible to enable my 1Blocker Safari extensions. It's impossible to enable any extension in Safari for that matter. I have tried all the workarounds, except for installing 10.15.2 first to enable the extensions to keep them enabled up to 10.15.5.

I have reverted the MacBook Air to High Sierra for now, but I would like to be able to get back to Catalina. But these non-functioning extensions are a dealbreaker to me.

Richrock27

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
Good day to all. I hope I'm posting in the right forum and I hope someone can help me.
I recently used Dosdude1's(THANKS) patcher to upgrade my 2011 MBA to Catalina. I read and followed the directions pretty well, but I have had a couple issue that I just can't fix. I'm going to describe them all best I can, in case they might be all related.

I have many apps that won't load and I get the "Namespace CODESIGNING, Code 0x1" error I've seen discussed. After trying to open the app 3 or 4 times, it will usually work, but I often get that crash error the first few times. Not a MAJOR issue, but kind of annoying.

I can't boot into recovery mode using COMMAND + "R". I don't know why this is.

If I shut my system down all the way and then try to boot up, i get a quick loading screen and the a grey screen with the 'no pass' symbol(circle with line through it). To get by this, I have to reboot and hold the OPTION key to be able to select the correct boot drive. In addition, there is an "EFI" boot volume also listed(which is what I imagine the system is initially trying to boot from). I followed some step I found online to get rid of this EFI section via Terminal commands, and it did work. But then when I tried to either boot into recovery mode or reset my NVRAM, all of a sudden the EFI was back.

I should note that I honestly have little knowledge of what I'm doing here. If not for the extremely helpful video tutorial provided by DosDude1, I'm not sure I would've been able to get Catalina installed at all. I did it via a USB installer, in case that matters at all. And I didn't do a "clean" install, but instead opted to just upgrade/install over the existing OS. I'm tempted to try and do a "clean" install and erase everything and start over, but I'm not sure if that will fix my issue or if I would do all of that for nothing and still have the same errors?

So any guidance or advice is appreciated. If I didn't provide enough information, just let me know. I apologize in advance that I am not the most knowledgable with all of this, but I seriously appreciate everyone's time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.