Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Hello @dosdude1 . Appreciate if you could include an update to your patch to include Firewire devices to be used with Catalina. It would be great help.

As of now If I attached the external HDD through Firewire 800 or using a thunderbolt to firewire apple adapter the disk gets ejected on its on on the iMac 27" mid 2011 12,2
dosdude1 can be found on Discord, he is a moderator for Unsupported Macs. ?

Reactions: Dilli

roysterdoyster

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2017
The Mini has an unpatched ROM, OCLP v.0.1.6 is installed because of the Big Sur partition. OCLP Boot Picker is used in lieu of the @jackluke USBOpenCoreAPFSloader3.app to start the MacOS installer 2nd phase required to complete the update. ?
Understood. So you don't have to use an external USB to boot from in order to select the mac OS update installer, since you have a Big Sur partition anyways, this is the way.

Since I stick with Catalina on my MBP4,1, I can stick with USBOpenCoreAPFSloader3.app.

thanks for your reply.

Reactions: K two

kosiko

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
Hi everybody!
Just wondering if there is a MacOS Catalina version (beta or non-beta) where I can choose app to add them manually in "Input Monitoring". I am using ver. 10.15.7 (19H1309) and I don't have that option...
I know before Catalina this was possible and with Big Sur it is possible...

Thanks!!
Screenshot 2021-06-16 at 09.19.25.png

Snake566977

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2021
Did you check the Broadcom-patch in dosdude1's patcher? This patch wasn't checked automatically with my MBP8,1. For several months I've done that regularly and never had WiFi problems any more.
Sounds great, but i have to ask: how i do this?

Patch Updater says "No new patch updates are available at this time." and when i view installed, it says legacy WiFi Patch Version 0.

Snake566977

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2021
I have MacBookPro6,2 (mbp mid-2010 15''), have been using Mojave with dosdude's patches for a couple of years without almost any issues.

FYI wifi works just fine on my side:
Code:
  Software Versions:

Interfaces:
en1:
  Card Type:    AirPort Extreme  (0x14E4, 0x93)
  Firmware Version:    Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.102.31)
  MAC Address:    <redacted>
  Locale:    FCC
  Country Code:    US
  Supported PHY Modes:    802.11 a/b/g/n
maybe a problem only with hidden WLANs? Mojave IO80211Family.kext can fix the problem. Was Catalina a clean install on your mac? Google is full of BCM43xx and Catalina.

makra

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2020
Northern Germany
Sounds great, but i have to ask: how i do this?

Patch Updater says "No new patch updates are available at this time." and when i view installed, it says legacy WiFi Patch Version 0.
Once you have installed your OS update, you have to reinstall the Post-install patches from your bootable USB drive (or what you use for installing the dosdude1's patcher). Usually you just do, what the patcher recommends on the basis of the identified Mac model - i. e. you don't check or uncheck any patches. But you can do that. After I realised that my MBP8,1 had the Broadcom 4321 module, I started to install this patch after every OS update.

ShroomKing

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2020
Hi everybody!
Just wondering if there is a MacOS Catalina version (beta or non-beta) where I can choose app to add them manually in "Input Monitoring". I am using ver. 10.15.7 (19H1309) and I don't have that option...
I know before Catalina this was possible and with Big Sur it is possible...

Thanks!! View attachment 1793921

At least one app needs to request input monitoring permissions for it to show the list and the +/- buttons. (smallest one i have is mGBA, so if none of your apps request permission you could just download mGBA and run it once, then you can add the other apps in settings.)

Reactions: kosiko and K two

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Understood. So you don't have to use an external USB to boot from in order to select the mac OS update installer, since you have a Big Sur partition anyways, this is the way.

Since I stick with Catalina on my MBP4,1, I can stick with USBOpenCoreAPFSloader3.app.

thanks for your reply.
Further - OpenCore and boot picker, once installed, can diminish the need to patch the boot ROM or run the APFS patch to boot from APFS on an early non-Metal Mac. OCLP as it stands is for macOS 11 & 12 installs, exclusively. Dortania even recommends the @dosdude1 patchers for macOS 10 in their OCLP documentation. In practice, keeping it simple is best. Stick w/USBOpenCoreAPFSloader3 boot picker, a great tool.

kambala

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2021
Moscow, Russia
maybe a problem only with hidden WLANs? Mojave IO80211Family.kext can fix the problem. Was Catalina a clean install on your mac? Google is full of BCM43xx and Catalina.
yes, clean install.

I know about other wifi issue related to country codes which is not Catalina-only, not sure if that's what you're seeing: if one of the networks around have some "bad" country code, macOS refuses to connect to any other network. The only way I was able to workaround that had been sitting right in front of my router and restarting wifi with a script until it finally connects.
Code:
networksetup -setairportpower en1 off
networksetup -setairportpower en1 on

roysterdoyster

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2017
Further - OpenCore and boot picker, once installed, can diminish the need to patch the boot ROM or run the APFS patch to boot from APFS on an early non-Metal Mac. OCLP as it stands is for macOS 11 & 12 installs, exclusively. Dortania even recommends the @dosdude1 patchers for macOS 10 in their OCLP documentation. In practice, keeping it simple is best. Stick w/USBOpenCoreAPFSloader3 boot picker, a great tool.
Understood. That leaves me still with the issue, however, how to restore a Time Machine Backup. When I boot into macOS Base System built by dosdude1's patcher, my Time Machine Backup Volume shows up, everything looks OK, but when I actually try to restore, it denies the service. My TM Backup Volume is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formatted.
Hence I have a boot USB stick with OCLP on it, and another USB Stick with a Big Sur installer built as per the Dortania instructions.
This is a hefty workaround, but it works. It there a way to restore a TM Backup with Catalina on-board tools?
thanks for your help in advance, K Two.

Snake566977

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2021
Once you have installed your OS update, you have to reinstall the Post-install patches from your bootable USB drive (or what you use for installing the dosdude1's patcher). Usually you just do, what the patcher recommends on the basis of the identified Mac model - i. e. you don't check or uncheck any patches. But you can do that. After I realised that my MBP8,1 had the Broadcom 4321 module, I started to install this patch after every OS update.
Ok I found what you mean. It's not on install stick, its in mac Utilities -> Patch Updater -> viewed installed updates -> there you can right click Re-Install or Re-Install all.

I've tried both with restart. Nothing. Same Issue. No auto connect, and when a type manually same error message.
Legacy WiFi Patch is after both run 0, too.

WLAN is 2,4GHz with WPA2 and hidden.

And works great after terminal command:
sudo networksetup -setairportnetwork en1 <wifi_ssid> <wifi_password>

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-17 um 09.12.01.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-17 um 09.12.01.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 50

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Hello

Is possible to update my MBP 13" Early 2011 Intel i5 2.3 GHz 16 GB Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB to macOS Catalina?
(Just upgrade my HDD to an SSD)

Which are the tools I have to download to start?

Once I have the tools needed in my MBP I will try to read all the thread or ask again

Thanks
Camelia

Reactions: TimothyR734

Snake566977

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2021
Hello

Is possible to update my MBP 13" Early 2011 Intel i5 2.3 GHz 16 GB Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB to macOS Catalina?

Once I have the tools needed in my MBP I will try to read all the thread or ask again

Thanks
Camelia
klick on apple -> about this mac -> System report -> 2nd line Modell Identifyer

i think you have MacBookPro8,1.

On http://dosdude1.com/catalina/ you can download the Setup. Under system compatibility you can see what mac models are supported. MBP8,1 is.

so you can download via download latest version on top of the site. On Follow by Screens Instructions.
For a clean install it is better to create a usb installer (you need a clean usb stick). Upgrade Install is also possible.

• Love
Reactions: camelia

Dilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
Hello

Thanks
Camelia
Yes you can do so. You can see in my signature I have Catalina running in my mid 2011 MacBook Air with similar configuration like yours very smoothly. Just Visit @dosdude1 website and follow instructions with the patcher..
You can look for his video too at Youtube with gives you step by step guidance. Good Luck.

PS No other tool is required. Just download the patcher from his website launch it on your desktop and follow the instructions. It will download Catalina latest for you and do all the patching.

• Love

jowaju

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2019
Ok I found what you mean. It's not on install stick, its in mac Utilities -> Patch Updater -> viewed installed updates -> there you can right click Re-Install or Re-Install all.

I've tried both with restart. Nothing. Same Issue. No auto connect, and when a type manually same error message.

sudo networksetup -setairportnetwork en1 <wifi_ssid> <wifi_password>

I've had this problem before with an upgraded Catalina install where it kept the WiFi settings from another Mac. Manually turn off WiFi, delete ALL saved WiFi networks, apply the changes. Then do the WiFi repair as described here and reboot, that should fix your issue.

PS - If you see multiple files listed in the Folder such as com.apple.airport.preferences.iMac91.plist, etc, also remove those files. Just leave them in the trash and reboot, once it's working again go clear the trash and you should be good to go.

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Understood. That leaves me still with the issue, however, how to restore a Time Machine Backup. When I boot into macOS Base System built by dosdude1's patcher, my Time Machine Backup Volume shows up, everything looks OK, but when I actually try to restore, it denies the service. My TM Backup Volume is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formatted.
Hence I have a boot USB stick with OCLP on it, and another USB Stick with a Big Sur installer built as per the Dortania instructions.
This is a hefty workaround, but it works. It there a way to restore a TM Backup with Catalina on-board tools?
thanks for your help in advance, K Two.
You'll need a bootable ROM for that feature.?

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Take a look at this post. And check this one on the same page.
Hello,

Thank you so much for the link to that fix, I really appreciate it a lot!!

I'm going to try this today on my Sons laptop and see if this works, if so I can then re-upgrade my wife's machine back to Catalina and then patch hers as well.

Incidentally, do you know if this "fix" will be incorporated into future dosdude1 updates or will it always be a "do it yourself" fix?

Thanks again!!

:)

Reactions: Ausdauersportler

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Hello,

Thank you so much for the link to that fix, I really appreciate it a lot!!

I'm going to try this today on my Sons laptop and see if this works, if so I can then re-upgrade my wife's machine back to Catalina and then patch hers as well.

Incidentally, do you know if this "fix" will be incorporated into future dosdude1 updates or will it always be a "do it yourself" fix?

Thanks again!!

:)
Let us know if it works and write him (@dosdude1) a PM to support this in an upcoming version :)

• Love

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Following @ASentientBot's post, I got the Japanese Input Method partially working by replacing these files from Mojave:

Code:
/usr/lib/libmecabra.dylib
/System/Library/Input Methods/JapaneseIM.app
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/TextInput.framework

Just by replacing those file, the Japanese IM worked, however after messing around with it a little bit I am still seeing some strange symbols popping up following by a crash of the JapaneseIM.... But I can still type some simple sentences in Japanese without any problems. Yay!

---------------

Edit: Got the JapaneseIM fully working by replacing one more framework (With no more crashing or "おはよ4"):
Code:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/TextInputCore.framework

Hopefully this will help to fix the problems that Japanese people on unsupported Macs are encountering. Good night!
View attachment 897589
Hello,

I guess I’m just too dumb to figure this out…here’s my problem. I boot into the “recovery mode” using the dosdude1 Catalina usb flash drive I made, open the terminal, type “csrutil disable”, the terminal “claims that the system integrity has been disabled”, restart the laptop without the usb stick inserted and boot up Catalina, open the “usr/lib” directory, ATTEMPT to drag the “libmecabra.dylib” into the “usr/lib” folder and I get the stupid circle with a slash and the system won’t let me do it….

I verified the system integrity is disabled also with “csrutil status”

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help!

makra

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2020
Northern Germany

sudo networksetup -setairportnetwork en1 <wifi_ssid> <wifi_password
Don't know what I can learn from that update list. Anyway: There are post-install patches that require some kind of recovery mode start. And others which are being overwritten by system updates and can be re-installed after normal system start. Send me a pm in German in case, it's still unclear.

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Hello,

I guess I’m just too dumb to figure this out…here’s my problem. I boot into the “recovery mode” using the dosdude1 Catalina usb flash drive I made, open the terminal, type “csrutil disable”, the terminal “claims that the system integrity has been disabled”, restart the laptop without the usb stick inserted and boot up Catalina, open the “usr/lib” directory, ATTEMPT to drag the “libmecabra.dylib” into the “usr/lib” folder and I get the stupid circle with a slash and the system won’t let me do it….

I verified the system integrity is disabled also with “csrutil status”

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help!
sudo mount -uw /

Reactions: Dilli
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.