Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

stiwi

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2010
Dubai
This week I wasted two days just on getting Monteray Beta 7 installing on my little iMac test farm.

I ruined a day today trying to figure out RX580 issue, fans when not even spinning during boot. And guess what I just connected 2x6pin to 8pin cable (which I reconnected 10 times today) and it works… the only benefit from this wasted day is ROM 144 as it forced me to boot on older hd to Mac 10.11 so I went up to High Sierra wild original GPU…

Reactions: Ausdauersportler

stiwi

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2010
Dubai
P.S.: You will need OLCP 0.3.0 latest nightly build, check the Github download page for docs and software.
I run nothing fancy in terms of apps, neither I need bootcamp / Windows. The thing is when looking at the Open Core thread I already have a headache. Too many options. I have RX 580 + MP 5,1 with 6-core 3.33Ghz CPU, which package would be the best? Martin's?

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
I run nothing fancy in terms of apps, neither I need bootcamp / Windows. The thing is when looking at the Open Core thread I already have a headache. Too many options. I have RX 580 + MP 5,1 with 6-core 3.33Ghz CPU, which package would be the best? Martin's?
As I said, OCLP is the auto pilot solution. Download, run and install, install Big Sur. Full doc included.

• Haha
Reactions: K two

TigerA

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
tried to set up a USB stick with OpenCoreAPFSloader3, got error 71 at "mount -t msdos /dev/disk3s1 /Volumes/EFIext" saying resource busy.
Just like to report back that I finally got this going by using a larger USB (4GB). The reason is that macOS won't create an EFI partition on a small size USB. I did have another 16GB USB with the stock Catalina Installation and an OCLP on its EFI and not want to overwrite with this OC.

Last edited:
Reactions: makra

TigerA

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
If you cannot get it working on your fusion drive stick with an USB pen drive or SD card. There is no fusion drive support at all and as I already mentioned there is even no Catalina support by developers.
I also got the broken internal EFI going by cloning from a good EFI system partition, in this case, my USB with Install macOS Catalina and OCLP. The actual command is
sudo dd if=/dev/disk3s1 of=/dev/disk0s1 where disk3s1 is the USB EFI and disk0s1 is the broken internal EFI after FusionDrive setup.
Now I can boot OCLP from my internal SSD instead of the USB.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
just installed the dosdude patch on my late 2011 MacBook Pro with the 2.4i5, 8g of ram and a 500gb hd. only been playing with the set up now for a couple hours, got the safari 15 update and its Catalina 10.15.7.... heard from someone they got the Big Sur update notification, wonder if I will, and if it is worth doing or leave well enough alone.

windrider42

Contributor
Aug 19, 2018
Alberta
I decided to update as well. It is still running smoothly. Did the normal patches, and ran silent knight after

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 7.16.26 PM.png

TigerA

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
I installed OCLP Catalina on my iMac12,2 today. It has the same Displays preference pane error after applying the post-install volume patch for graphics card acceleration. This issue is very persistent and predicable, which may be good for helping finding a solution.

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 6.44.07 am.png

Reactions: Jack Neill

TigerA

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
I don't get that on my system after doing the dosdude patch.
That‘s true. I had been using dosdude1’s Catalina on my iMac10,1 since Feb this year and it had been super stable. I was very much impressed by dosdude1’s excellent work including his installation video.
The reason for using OCLP Catalina on my iMac12,2 with stock HD6970 graphics card is that dosdude1’s Catalina does not support HD5xxxx & HD6xxx cards. And I also had difficulties installing security update 2021-005 and the subsequent 2021-006 for my iMac10,1 with dosdude1’s Catalina. That’s the reason for moving across to OCLP. But unfortunately it does suffer this Displays preference side effect on both iMacs after applying the post-install volume patch for graphics acceleration.

Last edited:

DerrickO

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2020
So, I have this issue now with iMessage where someone has sent me a video in iMessage that they shot on their iPhone and when I try and watch the video the screen immediately goes black and I'm back at the Catalina sign in screen. I've tried re-applying the patches and double checking that SIP is disabled.

Again, I've got a Late 2009 iMac i7 with stock video card / non-Metal.

Everything is fine, so long as I don't launch iMessage. As soon as I launch it, BOOM! I get the black screen and I'm back at the Catalina sign in prompt.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do?

TigerA

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
So, I have this issue now with iMessage where someone has sent me a video in iMessage that they shot on their iPhone and when I try and watch the video the screen immediately goes black and I'm back at the Catalina sign in screen. I've tried re-applying the patches and double checking that SIP is disabled.

Again, I've got a Late 2009 iMac i7 with stock video card / non-Metal.

Everything is fine, so long as I don't launch iMessage. As soon as I launch it, BOOM! I get the black screen and I'm back at the Catalina sign in prompt.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do?
Assuming you are still on dosdude1-Catalina, for which I've used for more than 6 months on my late-2009 iMac (see my signature). There is nothing wrong with that patch and everything works including most non-metal graphics cards except for HD5xxx & HD6xxx.
Please use signature to publish your system configuration.

Reactions: TimmuJapan

Dilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
I am using DD1 patched Catalina. I see following update in software update

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 12.22.26 PM.png

Will it break the patched Catalina. Do we have to run post apply patch again.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I used OCLP to take my iMac 12,2 to 19H1419. I used moderate spoofing to get it to install. I have minimal spoofing and am getting the Big Sur red dot and its annoying. I'm going to change the SMBIOS to try to make it go away.

TigerA

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
I used OCLP to take my iMac 12,2 to 19H1419. I used moderate spoofing to get it to install. I have minimal spoofing and am getting the Big Sur red dot and its annoying. I'm going to change the SMBIOS to try to make it go away.
Just wonder if you can open the Displays preference pane in System Preferences?

TigerA

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
No doesn't work for me either, and changing the SMBIOS was a bad idea, it was very unstable. I went back to minimal and just used the old terminal commands to kill the red dot.
Thanks, Jack. Changing the SMBIOS to moderate is necessary to install Catalina. Once installed, you can change back to minimal. I changed spoof model to iMac13,1 for iMac10,1 & iMac13,2 for iMac12,2, which is the minimal for running Catalina and preventing Big Sur upgrade showing up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Neill

L23

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
Asked earlier this week, but trying a second time.

I am familiar with Dosdude's macOS Catalina Patcher and how to update to the latest version of 10.15.7 (19H1419). Works great on the internal SSD of my 2010 MacBook Air.

I also have a USB stick with a bootable Catalina. Also done with Dosdude's Patcher. Works fine on the initial release of 10.15.7. But after installing the security updates I am stuck on the Apple logo when I boot Catalina from the USB stick.

Does anyone know why it works fine on my internal SSD and not on the USB stick? And how to solve it?

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Asked earlier this week, but trying a second time.

I am familiar with Dosdude's macOS Catalina Patcher and how to update to the latest version of 10.15.7 (19H1419). Works great on the internal SSD of my 2010 MacBook Air.

I also have a USB stick with a bootable Catalina. Also done with Dosdude's Patcher. Works fine on the initial release of 10.15.7. But after installing the security updates I am stuck on the Apple logo when I boot Catalina from the USB stick.

Does anyone know why it works fine on my internal SSD and not on the USB stick? And how to solve it?
Try cloning the up to date install to your usb stick and booting from that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.