macOS 10.15 Catalina on Unsupported Macs

Discussion in 'macOS Catalina (10.15)' started by julianfairfax, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Arnold2018 macrumors newbie

Arnold2018

How to uninstall Catalina properly and delete Catalina data partition? How to re-install Catalina to avoid multiplication of data partitions?

2. jackluke, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019

jackluke macrumors 68000

jackluke

Open DiskUility, from its "finder-menu", select "View", select "Show all devices", then select from the DiskUtility left tab the "Container diskX" where your Catalina is stored, and "Erase" only that Container in APFS (or HFS+).

But if inside that same Container you have other APFS HighSierra or Mojave (but typically they should be on a separate Container), then do NOT Erase that Container.

Otherwise, after Catalina re-installation, you can erase only the extra "APFS Data", and then merge it from DiskUtility to your new Catalina installation.

Keep in mind that all your personal datas, apps and settings are inside the "APFS Data", so check there if you need to backup something before Erase.

3. Althiometer macrumors newbie

Success!
    Writing from Macbook Pro Early 2011(8,2)
    Catalina installed w acceleration with Catalina Patcher 1.0b3

4. Frantisekj macrumors regular

Frantisekj

I just made my MBP 4,1 (Early 2008, not unibody) well working in Mojave. I do not hurry but wanted to ask whether is now or say with next beta possible to install Catalina on it. First from drivers side and second from user side. I am not dumb user but not hacker as well :) I have not seen any mention of this machine in whole thread.
    I do expect that next public beta could be better target or maybe even later. Thanks for info.

I guess when I have SSD formated in HFS+ then I should still better wait, right?

5. jhowarth macrumors 6502a

If you have Catalina on a dedicated drive like I do, the approach that I use is to boot under patched Mojave and from a Terminal window, use diskutil to unmount the Catalina volumes, in my case on the synthesized disk5, with...

sudo diskutil unmountDisk disk5

Then, having previously noted which physical disk (such as disk1) used by the synthetic disk5 from the output of 'diskutil list', I nuke it with gpt.

sudo gpt destroy disk1

...then recreate it with...

sudo gpt create disk1

...and finally use Disk Utility to erase disk1 again with APFS partitioning.

Also, while I haven't tried it yet, I would expect reinstalling Catalina over an existing Catalina volume shouldn't be creating an additional Data volume but just reuse the previous one.

6. arqueox macrumors regular

arqueox

Disk utility.

7. startergo macrumors 65816

startergo

Hi @dosdude1 good job! I installed Catalina on my cMP over a HS partition. I did not run the patch on the second boot. Is it still considered "Vanilla" or there are some permanent modifications in the system files or drivers even after the first install?

8. jackluke macrumors 68000

jackluke

During some my test using "createinstallmedia" to create my custom Catalina Installer, I noticed that the official apple Installer from beta2 used an icon on its Catalina Installer USB/Partition, then since it's a standard apple icns, I've applied it also to my Catalina main Volume, here is an automated script for it, totally harmless and safe for your machines.

To check the new Catalina icon on your boot Volume, after the reboot or power-on, hold (as usually) "alt-option" key for the apple boot manager. Try it, it's funny.

Attached Files:

9. EdGlassgow macrumors newbie

EdGlassgow

Pretty easy... Use Disk Utility and hit the View dropdown to Show All Devices. The right click on the Data Volume and select Delete APFS Volume. Then you can either delete the main volume or erase it. Now you have a container that will not duplicate the Data volume.

10. Flacko macrumors regular

Welcome to the unsupported Macs! To answer your first question a new OS does not necessarily mean a firmware update. Your mp 5.1 is supported by Apple and will get firmware updates as required with Mojave. I believe the latest is 14.0.0.0.0. There have been a few - intel cpu security "fixes" and NVMe support to name a few. So before moving onto Catalina make sure you are up to date by using Mojave.
    Once you become unsupported then there will be no further firmware updates from Apple. However this will not stop you using your machine. In fact it is advisable to avoid full downloads of the OS from Apple just in case there is a firmware update in there as our patched machines may have a problem with this. So using dosdude1's patcher is one way to go and keeping advised by members of the forum who will spot any problems with imbedded firmware.
    My mp 3.1 was last supported by El Capitan. It has not had a firmware update since then (apart from dosdude1's APFS ROM patch) and is still happily running Mojave 14.5 and Catalina B2.

11. dosdude1 macrumors 68020

dosdude1

If you don't apply the post-install patches, then you have a 100% clean, unmodified copy of Catalina.

12. badapple420 macrumors newbie

badapple420

I have the same mbp do you get a message after you boot up catalina saying patches are overwritten it wants me to reinstall and reboot but the same thing pops up

13. TimothyR734 macrumors 68000

TimothyR734

it is pretty cool but how do you reset it back to normal as when I applied the script. and restarted my screen went white with a bunch of squares and lines :)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 28, 2019 ---
    hit don't remind me again don't apply the post install patches from the patch updater

14. Althiometer macrumors newbie

Is there a way we can use Photos from 10.14(patched to get allowed in Catalina)

15. jackluke, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019

jackluke macrumors 68000

jackluke

You can check the script with a Textedit or pressing space-bar on it, the white/squares/lines you encountered at 99% don't depend from the script, that essentially does nothing bad, it's just a -no_compat_check and a copy of a file.

To back to normal (with stock hard disk icon), just delete from your Catalina root the .VolumeIcon.icns file.

However it doesn't affect any other macOS Installation.

edit:

about your LCD white/squares/lines , I suspect more the summer temperatures that affect cpu/gpu temperatures.

16. TimothyR734 macrumors 68000

TimothyR734

I mean when I go to restart the Catalina Wallpaper goes from Catalina to a white background with squares and lines but found I use the light script it restarts normally when I use dark mode it only does the when I am in dark mode using your Catalinadark in dark mode

17. jackluke macrumors 68000

jackluke

They are totally unrelated to any macOS functionality or light/dark mode, they are just unix "VolumeIcons" for the apple bootloader, nothing else.

Attached Files:

18. avz macrumors 6502a

I am wondering how many macOS's you can run together with Windows? I noticed you have quite a few there.

19. jackluke macrumors 68000

jackluke

The Catalinas and Windows are on external SSD USB, but theorically GUID/GPT scheme should allow up to 128 partitions.

20. avz macrumors 6502a

For whatever reason when I tried to run more that one macOS with Windows(Bootcamp) it just did not work. I am guessing you are running Windows 10 on an external SSD without using a Bootcamp? I believe it is impossible to run Windows 7 on an external HDD/SSD?

21. jackluke macrumors 68000

jackluke

Maybe not impossible but very hard on Mac. However I used legacy apple bootcamp drivers for my machine model, otherwise using the windows 10 updated ones many crashed.

22. LuisN macrumors regular

Try this: https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/

23. Althiometer macrumors newbie

Photos is always crashing...is there a fix coming?

24. schwab macrumors member

I also have a MacBookPro 4,1 17" early 2008 with a 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6 GB of SDRAM running 10.14.3 Mojave including 4.0 bluetooth and 2.4 & 5.4 WiFi Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.61.1 AirPortDriverBrcmNIC-1305.2) However, has a 1TB SSD with the Journaled HFS+ File System and the NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 512 MB Graphics card running the large 17" display

Here are the specs:
    https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...ore-2-duo-2.5-17-early-2008-penryn-specs.html

Hopefully we will be able to upgrade to OS 10.15 but we are certainly pushing the limits.

25. Starplayr macrumors 6502a

Starplayr

You can remove the Data container from within Disk Utility. Click on the Data container, right click and delete APFS Volume. Be sure to back up any Data from this volume incase you need it.
    Purrtie.
    It's not a bad idea to remove the Data Volume before hand and it's easy to remove it if it's on a secondary drive.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.