Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

iMac-Oldschool

macrumors regular
May 22, 2019
Brexit
@Maclinux:

Same machine 500/100 ISP speed
WIFI:
View attachment 951999
WIRED:
View attachment 952000
Attached are two screenshots showing speed from my ISP under Mojave and Big Sur. No discernible difference in the performance. Unfortunately, these are from a 100/20 connection, not 500/100. Be interesting to see from other users if Big Sur has problems with faster connections. The hardware is an iMac 13,1.

I also have an iMac 8,1 in another location with an ISP offering 300/100. Upload speeds over WiFi are never better than 75-80. Problem appears to be hardware iMac hardware related. All versions of macOS are more or less the same. Over Ethernet, 300 is possible and sitting at the desk with an iPhone manages 250-275.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 19.52.22.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 19.52.22.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 247
  • Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 20.22.01.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 20.22.01.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 266

buckrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2020
Fresno, California
Hi Everyone,

I searched the thread for the terms `BIErrorDomain error 2` and couldn't find any information about my problem.
I recently upgraded my MacBook Pro 10,2 (Late 2012) from Catalina to Big Sur and it was a success.
All disk are greyed out, with error 'Operation couldn't be completed (BIErrorDomain error 2).

Hope someone knows the answer to this.

Thanks a lot guys.

I had this error also (MBP Retina, mid 2012, 10,1) when I was trying to restart Big Sur on my external SSD.

Being lazy I didn't want to create a new USB install stick, so I ran from Catalina Terminal BarryKN's unpatch.sh on the patched BS Install USB (used version 0.1.0), then ran his micropatcher.sh again in Catalina Terminal. Then, as normal, rebooted with option key to proceed normally with his set-vars.sh and reinstalled beta (I believe is was b5 at that time) directly on top of the beta Big Sur.

I don't know if this would work for you, but I was reminded of the times when we would have problems with the earlier supported OSX's and would simply reapply a combo update to fix problems.

Reactions: TimothyR734

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Attached are two screenshots showing speed from my ISP under Mojave and Big Sur. No discernible difference in the performance. Unfortunately, these are from a 100/20 connection, not 500/100. Be interesting to see from other users if Big Sur has problems with faster connections. The hardware is an iMac 13,1.

I also have an iMac 8,1 in another location with an ISP offering 300/100. Upload speeds over WiFi are never better than 75-80. Problem appears to be hardware iMac hardware related. All versions of macOS are more or less the same. Over Ethernet, 300 is possible and sitting at the desk with an iPhone manages 250-275.
WIFI speeds are always lower because they are half duplex and depend on a clean wifi signal. Wifi connection in my MacBook Pro 2012 is 450 Mbps with is the maximum for a 3 antennae n card but transfer speed varies with traffic, interference and other factors. I have an iMac 7,1 with upgraded wifi ac card that connects to my router (UniFi UDM) at 1800 Mbps but but transfer speed is always far from that

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi, thanks for your answer, booting with Cmd + R and Typing the command indeed work ! Finally running Big Sur again !
Additionnal info : 'sudo' doesn't exist in Recovery mode, but the command work without sudo

No worries, glad it's solved.

Oh yeah, forgot about sudo, not needed.

Can I delete the Big Sur volume called install Mac OS beta and have bug sur still work Bc i portioned half and half and I want the rest of the room for Big Sur

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem afaik, you could reclaim the space occupied by the installer.

Reactions: TimothyR734

buckrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2020
Fresno, California
Can I delete the Big Sur volume called install Mac OS beta and have bug sur still work Bc i portioned half and half and I want the rest of the room for Big Sur

You can delete it; it is not needed for Big Sur to run.

Note that the InstallAssistant.pkg installed the "Install MacOS Big Sur Beta.app" in your Applications folder. Also recall that you used the "createinstallmedia" resource located within the InstallMacOS app to create the USB install stick which you subsequently patched with BarryKN's micropatcher.

So, you can safely delete both the "Install MacOS Big Sur Beta.app" and the "InstallAssistant.pkg" -- I would suggest making a backup of the InstallAssistant.pkg for each of the betas you use just to save time re-downloading it (them). I'd also recommend keeping your patched USB installer stick handy.

Starmina

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2020
I couldn't set Big Sur as OS to boot from because it kept disappearing shortly after i opened the menu

If anyone has issue to set their booting disk fom interface, you can open a Terminal and type this command :
(My Big Sur install is on "Macintosh HD" disk and i want to always boot to Big Sur)

sudo bless -mount /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD -setBoot

Then reboot and enjoy.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I couldn't set Big Sur as OS to boot from because it kept disappearing shortly after i opened the menu

If anyone has issue to set their booting disk fom interface, you can open a Terminal and type this command :
(My Big Sur install is on "Macintosh HD" disk and i want to always boot to Big Sur)

sudo bless -mount /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD -setBoot

Then reboot and enjoy.
This problem went away for me on my Mac mini 2018 after restarting. I had done some renaming of the APFS volumes which might have caused the problem.

Maclinux

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2020

I have 100/100 and the test gives good results, but when working on the Internet I notice it much slower than in previous betas. For example. uploading photos to the web takes longer. Maybe it's just a misperception ...

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2020-09-12 a las 11.01.57.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-09-12 a las 11.01.57.png
    369.9 KB · Views: 270

StephN999

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2020
Cergy, France
Bonjour,

I was curious and tested on my wife's iMac 2015 (supported him).

I hallucinated I didn't think there was any obvious difference with my 2011 machine under Catalina.

Capture d’écran 2020-09-12 à 11.48.35.png Capture d’écran 2020-09-12 à 11.40.21.png

Edit: In ethernet

Capture d’écran 2020-09-12 à 11.47.14.png

Reactions: Maclinux

Fran Frin

macrumors member
May 27, 2020
I tried to install in a MacBook pro mid 2009:

- Create usb with lasted public beta : OK
- Patch this usb with the last release of Big-Sur micropatcher: OK
- Boot with this usb: error (prohibited screen):
926044040.jpg

How resolve this???

MacHacJac

Suspended
Jun 28, 2020
Can someone explain why my Comcast wifi on my 2011 MBP is about 300 mbps download, but only 8 mbps upload?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I tried to install in a MacBook pro mid 2009:

- Create usb with lasted public beta : OK
- Patch this usb with the last release of Big-Sur micropatcher: OK
- Boot with this usb: error (prohibited screen):
View attachment 952186

How resolve this???

So, you booted from the USB installer and got the prohibited sign, kinda odd, you might try unpatch it and rematch it with the latest Micropatcher.

you need to boot into recovery mode and install from there. not boot from usb.
try again.

Huh, that's not true, you have to hold the Option key when starting up, then chose the USB installer, your information is wrong.

Fran Frin

macrumors member
May 27, 2020
So, you booted from the USB installer and got the prohibited sign, kinda odd, you might try unpatch it and rematch it with the latest Micropatcher.

Huh, that's not true, you have to hold the Option key when starting up, then chose the USB installer, your information is wrong.

I tried this steep before boot usb installer:

"Now you can quit terminal and restart into normal recovery mode (not the disk you just created) by holding down CMD-R the moment your Mac boots up. . Once you’re there, open Terminal (in the Utilities menu) and run: nvram boot-args=-no_compact_check."

But i dont have recovery in my catalina (unsuported mac) installation.
How do this steep?

David dongfox

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2020

can’t you see i said “boot into discovery mode” this of course need to press option key . Mac lover all know it.

Fran Frin

macrumors member
May 27, 2020
I finally booted in recovery mode and type in a terminal:

nvram boot-args="no_compact_check amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1"

Reboot to usb installer and the result is the same, grey prohibited screen.

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019

I may need to be:
Code:
nvram boot-args="-no_compact_check amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1"
there is a leading - (minus) sign in front of the first of the boot-args

David dongfox

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2020

after type in all this in terminal just go back to recovery mode and go OS install. no need reboot to usb installer.

Pinarek

Suspended
Sep 16, 2009
Wilsonville, Oregon
Is there a new Micropatcher, except for version 0.1.0 which is on Github?
Or is it possible that the new Big Sur Dev DP6 no longer works with the
version 0.19 I am currently using?

After I started the installation from the boot stick, it installs until about
12 minutes remaining, then suddenly (without restarting) a window
(still in the installation from the USB stick) just says "Update" (without the "characters )
and the mouse is completely gone.

That wasn't before and I just recreated the USB stick with the Big Sur DP6
and then integrated micropatcher as before with the DP5.

Thanks for tips.

treee111

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2020
Is there a new Micropatcher, except for version 0.1.0 which is on Github?
Or is it possible that the new Big Sur Dev DP6 no longer works with the
version 0.19 I am currently using?

After I started the installation from the boot stick, it installs until about
12 minutes remaining, then suddenly (without restarting) a window
(still in the installation from the USB stick) just says "Update" (without the "characters )
and the mouse is completely gone.

That wasn't before and I just recreated the USB stick with the Big Sur DP6
and then integrated micropatcher as before with the DP5.

Thanks for tips.
for me Micropatcher v0.1.0 worked yesterday with the downloaded Big Sur DP6 from here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...unsupported-macs-thread.2242172/post-28854932

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Bonjour,

I was curious and tested on my wife's iMac 2015 (supported him).

I hallucinated I didn't think there was any obvious difference with my 2011 machine under Catalina.

View attachment 952178 View attachment 952179

Edit: In ethernet

View attachment 952181
One is wifi n and the other is ac. The number of antennae is probably 2 in your 2011 which give a theoretical maximum of 300 Mbps being a 802.11n and the iMac being a 802.11ac card with 3 antennae can reach, depending on the AP 800, 1200, 1800,... Mbps. Even using n protocol the ac card can connect at 450 Mbps. (150 Mbps per antenna) (theoretically )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.