Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

IbrahimFmc

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2020
The problem is the usb installer dont boot, never boot, apear apple logo and inmediatly apear prohibited signal
then you have to shutdown the system then turn on and keep hold option then select to boot from the installer usb, then from installer select disk management then format big sur partition and repeat the installation , (don't install big sur in your main catalina system )

Reactions: TimothyR734

Fran Frin

macrumors member
May 27, 2020
then you have to shutdown the system then turn on and keep hold option then select to boot from the installer usb, then from installer select disk management then format big sur partition and repeat the installation , (don't install big sur in your main catalina system )

power on the mac, Keep hold option key, choose usb installer -> apear apple logo-> 30 seconds later->prohibited grey screen

IbrahimFmc

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2020
power on the mac, Keep hold option key, choose usb installer -> apear apple logo-> 30 seconds later->prohibited grey screen
turn on then keep hold option until you see this screen

Attachments

• macos-sierra-startup-disk.png
    macos-sierra-startup-disk.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 167

IbrahimFmc

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2020
I dont install big sur yet, because dont boot the usb installer, this is the problem i have
format the usb installer and create new patched big sur again . > create separate volume on your hard disk with 50 gb at least for the installation of big sur then select this volume for the installation

AveryTheMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2020
You can find a good link in post #2898 On page 116.
Link still dead. I mean, as mentioned on my post on page 163, I can boot the installer, I just can’t install or do anything because I can’t move the cursor or even use keyboard input. I am just hoping I don’t have to cave and get a magic keyboard (I have a Magic Mouse, but I left it in MI) to install Big Sur. Would have thought a wired mouse and keyboard would work, but I think it is related to a legacy usb kext issue

Fran Frin

macrumors member
May 27, 2020
format the usb installer and create new patched big sur again . > create separate volume on your hard disk with 50 gb at least for the installation of big sur then select this volume for the installation

Created again new big sur patcher usb installer, and nothing, the same problem.

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Link still dead. I mean, as mentioned on my post on page 163, I can boot the installer, I just can’t install or do anything because I can’t move the cursor or even use keyboard input. I am just hoping I don’t have to cave and get a magic keyboard (I have a Magic Mouse, but I left it in MI) to install Big Sur. Would have thought a wired mouse and keyboard would work, but I think it is related to a legacy usb kext issue
Yep, you have an unsupported unsupported Mac ;)

AveryTheMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2020
Yep, you have an unsupported unsupported Mac ;)
interesting. okay, well it was worth a try lol! at least i can use catalina perfectly fine lmao. looks like its time to invest in more macs! lmao. maybe i might get a good deal on a newer one on ebay.....................then i might have better luck. ah well, it was worth a try

Fran Frin

macrumors member
May 27, 2020
I tried to disable sip in recovery (cmd+r) but:

csrutil: failed to modify system integrity configuration. This tool needs to be executed from the Recovery OS.

sapphade

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2018
usb installer should work and installer should work if sip disabled and compatible check disabled
please check this guide and try to do the same
Thanks for that and to all who have put all the work in behind the scenes. Particular thanks to barryKN for the micro patcher. Just installed Big Sur on a separate partition on my 2012 MacBook Air using this guide and by following the advice to terminal commands as per picture attached . the wifi was repaired by opening terminal after it booted in to Big Sur and dragging patch-kexts.sh in to it. Again thanks to all ill test it in the coming days . cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-13 at 17.10.02.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-13 at 17.10.02.png
    61.7 KB · Views: 387
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.