Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Pinarek

Suspended
Sep 16, 2009
Wilsonville, Oregon
I can't find a solution to install the Big Sur DP6 on my iMac 12.2 mid 2011.
Neither with micropatcher 0.19 nor with 0.1.0 version.

Everything exactly as done on the DP5 where it worked fine.
I've done all the hint here (nvram boot-args set) etc.
nothing works, always the prohibition sign after the first attempt
to start from Big Sur.

With whom does the new installation work on an iMac 12.2 mid 2011 27 inch?
and how please? thanks for pointing out what I might be doing wrong.

Reactions: MacHacJac

Typo180

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
Hi all - found this threat while looking for ways to improve MacOS performance. I don't need to install MacOS on an unsupported Mac, but am very interested in finding ways to reduce system overhead (turn off services I don't need, reduce resources used by the GUI, etc). I was hoping to look through the guides on osxhackers.net, but they all 404.

Are the performance tweaks only relevant to getting MacOS running on older machines or are there things I could do on my supported machines that would still reduce overhead?

Toledospod

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2020
Toledo, OH
Hi me again. ok you go to page 109 and go post #2707 follow step by step .
I also follow it to install Big Sur into my Mac mini 2012.
good luck.
David,

While I know you and others are trying to help Fran Frin, the instructions in that post no longer work completely because as i understand it, a more recent release of the beta broke something even after you patch the USB installer with Barry's micropatcher and this causes the 'Forbidden' sign after you start the installer and the machine reboots for the first time

The steps I took in my post, on page 157, post 3,904 worked for me and this may very well work for you Fran. I would try that and let us whether it worked.

Toledospod

David dongfox

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2020
David,

While I know you and others are trying to help Fran Frin, the instructions in that post no longer work completely because as i understand it, a more recent release of the beta broke something even after you patch the USB installer with Barry's micropatcher and this causes the 'Forbidden' sign after you start the installer and the machine reboots for the first time

The steps I took in my post, on page 157, post 3,904 worked for me and this may very well work for you Fran. I would try that and let us whether it worked.

Toledospod
noted with thanks.

AveryTheMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2020
Hello, I have a Mid 2010 Mac mini, with a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 6GB DDR3 (1067MHz), NVIDIA GeForce 320M and 500gb HDD storage. I was able to follow through using BarryKN's MicroPatcher Tool, and boot the USB, but my peripherals won't recognize so that way I can install Big Sur (Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma; Mouse: Razer Mamba Wireless) and I don't have an Apple Magic Mouse or a Magic Keyboard to do the install. Anyone know a way to fix this, or what peripherals are supported to install? I don't even know if I can use target Disk Mode with my Late 2008 Macbook (2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo "Penryn", 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, Nvidia Geforce 9200M; Big Sur won't even boot on this MacBook, it kernel panics every time) to install it, or what other methods to test to try and install it. am I at a loss, or is there hope for my Mac mini?

Alex-Microsmeta

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2018
Rome
Hello, I have a Mid 2010 Mac mini, with a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 6GB DDR3 (1067MHz), NVIDIA GeForce 320M and 500gb HDD storage. I was able to follow through using BarryKN's MicroPatcher Tool, and boot the USB, but my peripherals won't recognize so that way I can install Big Sur (Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma; Mouse: Razer Mamba Wireless) and I don't have an Apple Magic Mouse or a Magic Keyboard to do the install. Anyone know a way to fix this, or what peripherals are supported to install? I don't even know if I can use target Disk Mode with my Late 2008 Macbook (2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo "Penryn", 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, Nvidia Geforce 9200M; Big Sur won't even boot on this MacBook, it kernel panics every time) to install it, or what other methods to test to try and install it. am I at a loss, or is there hope for my Mac mini?

With Beta 6 was impossible for me to install an usable macOS 11 on Mac mini 2010 (same issues of you)

Beta 4 works fine, only internal sound is missing, but I'm using bluetooth speakers. You must find a workaround for magic mouse and keyboard of you cannot complete the installation https://forums.macrumors.com/thread....2242172/page-159?post=28862938#post-28862938

Last edited:
Reactions: macinfo

Fran Frin

macrumors member
May 27, 2020
David,

Toledospod
Thanks i will try, where find beta5 link??

galadriann

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2020
Belgium
Hi all,
I tried to update my already working Big Sur (MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) to Beta 6 but it failed half way. Tried on 2 different usb and with both micro patcher 0.1.1 and 0.0.19-B .
The errors says that there was an issue with the installer and that I need to download a new copy or contact Apple.
Well I won't do that of course :)
luckily it is still working fine after the install failure.
Has anyone had the same issue ?

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
Hi all,
I tried to update my already working Big Sur (MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) to Beta 6 but it failed half way. Tried on 2 different usb and with both micro patcher 0.1.1 and 0.0.19-B .
The errors says that there was an issue with the installer and that I need to download a new copy or contact Apple.
Well I won't do that of course :)
luckily it is still working fine after the install failure.
Has anyone had the same issue ?
SIP disabled?

AveryTheMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2020
With Beta 6 was impossible for me to install an usable macOS 11 on Mac mini 2010 (same issues of you)

Beta 4 works fine, only internal sound is missing, but I'm using bluetooth speakers. You must find a workaround for magic mouse and keyboard of you cannot complete the installation https://forums.macrumors.com/thread....2242172/page-159?post=28862938#post-28862938
Do you possibly have a Beta 4 DMG that I can use? I always have issues finding one, and the DMG I am using I got from gibMacOS. If you may be able to share your b4 DMG, or how to get one, that would help tremendously

Fran Frin

macrumors member
May 27, 2020
once this applied then go ahead and repeat the installation again , this is the only missing step from your side
When applied this comand, reboot again, and tried to boot to usb installation, but apear the grey screen again.
I tried micropatcher 10 and 0.19, same result in both

Last edited:
Reactions: TimothyR734

Pinarek

Suspended
Sep 16, 2009
Wilsonville, Oregon
Install Attempt iMac 12,2 mid 2011 27 Zoll

Installation Phase 1 booted from the USB stick Micropatch 0.1.0 integrated (with 0.19 the same Result)
with the first terminal input:
/Volumes/Image\ Volume/set-vars.sh
everything ok You can do with -v or without -v.

Then the installation program is started and installed, approx. 40 minutes then the
system reboots in the gray screen and the installation continues with the apple logo and loading bar.

After another 30 minutes, it's done

Then boot again from the USB stick and enter the terminal command:
/Volumes/Image\ Volume/patch-kexts.sh --all /Volumes/bigsur
(bigsur is the name of my BigSur partition)

And here it starts with the first error message:
Warning: com.apple.driver.KextExcludeList was not found!
See picture attached. What shoud that ? where does this error come from,
it wasn't with the DP5. What did Apple break or change to annoy us?

Then terminal command:
/Volumes/Image\ Volume /zap-snapshots.sh /Volumes/bigsur

Everything done as it was written in the instructions at Guthub by the author Barry K. Nathans.

Then continue again with macOS installer in -v mode and the errors see picture.
That was it then, can't go any further.

I'm missing a message here, in case someone succeeded in installing the
Big Sur DP6 on an iMac 12.2 mid 2011 ... or does it not work for anyone?

Attachments

• 20200913_161558.png
    20200913_161558.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 205
  • 20200913_161623.png
    20200913_161623.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 136
  • 20200913_165559.jpg
    20200913_165559.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Reactions: TimothyR734
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.