Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
So since the focus is on MBP 10,1 for a second I'll tag along.
I was about to do the upgrade to 12.5 this morning as it popped up in Sys prefs, so checked the latest OCLP and held off for a bit seeing the Keppler issues.
I am on OCLP 0.4.8 for now. I assume 0.4.9 would prohibit a Post Install Root Patch for this model regardless?
Below is the info in my System Info. I assume that is "dual"?
I would be happy to test this if there is a decent chance it will work. If so, what OCLP should be used?

Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 09.03.46.png

RogueB

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Can you send a screenshot with GPU info please? (About this Mac -> Graphics).
Thanks!
I googled graphic card(s) specs for MacBook Pro 10,1:

• Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching
Most likely it is an Intel card which is active, much as a group of us already suspected.

Sven G

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Milan, EU
BTW, no problems whatsoever with the macOS Monterey 12.5 update on my dual GPU (Intel Iris Pro iGPU + NVidia Kepler dGPU) MBP11,3: but root patched with the previous OCLP 0.4.8 (not the current 0.4.9), of course (and thus everything seems to work well, as usual)…

2FD0455B-661B-4099-BD64-3D523BD45C8C.jpeg
12B81A24-3B0C-4073-BEBD-2164DB258739.jpeg
A3B0AA93-DE5F-45A6-A4C3-3D9951313086.jpeg

OKonnel

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Italy
BTW, no problems whatsoever with the macOS Monterey 12.5 update on my dual GPU (Intel Iris Pro iGPU + NVidia Kepler dGPU) MBP11,3: but root patched with the previous OCLP 0.4.8 (not the current 0.4.9), of course (and thus everything seems to work well, as usual)…
Are you sure? ... I see you are sure, :) but I am wondering if the graphics acceleration works completely or if only the Intel Iris Pro CPU works...

So, I kindly ask you how did you install Monterey 12.5?...
- From System Preferences with a 12.5 Beta version first?
- Or did you have the official version 12.4?
- Or did you use a USB stick installer?
- Or have you downloaded and launched the Monterey 12.5 Installer from the App Store?...

And above all:
did you use OCLP 0.4.8 as it is set by default or did you select "Minimal" SMBIOS Spoofing first?

Thank you very much

Bozzlabb

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Have a 10.1 by myself , Macbook Pro Early 2013 with Intel and Nvidia Card, no issues with 12.5.
Updated it from Official 12.4 in System Preferences , make a Post install patch with OCP 0.4.3 with set as default

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-21 um 13.05.45.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-21 um 13.05.45.png
    712.6 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: OKonnel and Sven G

Sven G

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Milan, EU
Are you sure? ... I see you are sure, but I am wondering if the graphics acceleration works completely or if only the Intel Iris Pro CPU works...

So, I kindly ask you how did you install Monterey 12.5?...
- From System Preferences with a 12.5 Beta version first?
- Or did you have the official version 12.4?
- Or did you use a USB stick installer?
- Or have you downloaded and launched the Monterey 12.5 Installer from the App Store?...

And above all:
did you use OCLP 0.4.8 as it is set by default or did you select "Minimal" SMBIOS Spoofing first?

Thank you very much

Yes, I simply updated in System Preferences from 12.4 to 12.5 (no betas), with the default OCLP 0.4.8 settings: so, probably it went well also because of the primary Intel iGPU, in addition to the secondary NVidia Kepler dGPU. Here, my OCLP SMBIOS settings (the default):

9FC85DBF-A9C2-49AF-84E2-DB3151B3BFB9.jpeg

Last edited:

adamrc

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
Can you send a screenshot with GPU info please? (About this Mac -> Graphics).
Thanks!
Here is my GPU info. I was able to get back into MacOS 12.5 by booting into safe mode and removing the post root patches.
Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 7.59.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 8.26.33 AM.png

Last edited:

RogueB

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016

View attachment 2032575 View attachment 2032576 View attachment 2032577
Thank you for posting your data. May I ask for another screen-shot of your machine's "About Your Mac" output, but without the OCLP menu superimposed over the graphic card description. If I am not mistaken, the "currently" active graphic card will be displayed in the output; see attached. Thank you.

For comparison, I also attached screen shot from my MacBook Pro 5,2, which has two graphic cards as well. The "About Your Mac" screen-shot shows which, of the two cards, is actively running the display.

Attachments

• "About This Mac" output iMAc 13,2.png
    "About This Mac" output iMAc 13,2.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 79
  • "About This Mac" screen-shot from macbook Pro 5,2.png
    "About This Mac" screen-shot from macbook Pro 5,2.png
    247.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Reactions: Sven G

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Thanks for the warning; good thing I read that before downloading the latest OpenCore Legacy Patcher build. So I guess I'll stick with 12.4 on my 2012 quad-core i7 MacBook Pro (which is one of the affected models, MacBookPro9,1) while I update my M1 MacBook Air to 12.5 (but I'll still do a Time Machine backup before the update, as it's getting to that point in July where I do my monthly Time Machine backups of my main Macs).

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Of course, everyone's experience is different, but it is well known here in Japan that the default Japanese input method is rather lame. The Kanji dictionary is limited and so are the options for the input method in Apple's implementation. I didn't know if you were not aware of that or not. I suggested that software in the hope that it would solve your issues, using the trial system they offer, which is very reasonable, just like the price. Of course, you shouldn't need any other software to write basic hiragana, katakana, or convert Romaji to Kanji. But it is Apple's Kotoeri we are talking about, the infamously lame Japanese input method. I used ATOK for a long time, but they switched to a subscription payment method and I bailed out. I find Kawasemi fine for my limited use in writing Japanese, and the dictionary is good too. The Kotoeri dictionary will often balk at even the easiest Kanji, the Chinese characters it should find easily but doesn't! Sorry if that reference confused you. Here in Japan, everyone in the publication industry has long ago given up completely on Apple's Kotoeri, which of course has produced alternatives like ATOK, Kawasemi and even Google's free Japanese Input Method. I believe all of those alternatives are better than Apple's solution. If you are having issues with Apple's software, you can find alternatives! Kawasemi works even under Monterey 12.5 on an old Mac running OpenCore Legacy Patcher.
Sorry if I sounded ungrateful, I appreciate your suggestion! My knowledge of the Japanese language is very limited, so I‘d like to avoid additional software if possible. Perhaps I‘m lucky and it gets better with 12.5, but I don’t dare to install it yet. If that’s not the case, I might consider your suggestion! Thank you!

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
For all those lucky ones with dual GPU MacBooks with one being an Nvidia Kepler: It will be interesting to see what happens when the system decides to switch from Intel (Iris, HD, ...) to the Nvidia GPU.
Would not be surprised to hear about crashes under that scenario.

Reactions: macinfo

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
So Think I’ve figured out the photos maximise problem I experienced on 12.5 when it crashes back out to log in screen it’s when 12.5 is using the NVIDIA 750m literally the only bug I’ve experienced if I make it use this card so far . When changing it after log in

Last edited:

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
For all those lucky ones with dual GPU MacBooks with one being an Nvidia Kepler: It will be interesting to see what happens when the system decides to switch from Intel (Iris, HD, ...) to the Nvidia GPU.
Would not be surprised to hear about crashes under that scenario.

I’ve experienced two bugs when forcing NVIDIA use . Log in bug and see post after yours

Last edited:
Reactions: Larsvonhier

Sven G

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Milan, EU
Thank you for posting your data. May I ask for another screen-shot of your machine's "About Your Mac" output, but without the OCLP menu superimposed over the graphic card description. If I am not mistaken, the "currently" active graphic card will be displayed in the output; see attached. Thank you.

For comparison, I also attached screen shot from my MacBook Pro 5,2, which has two graphic cards as well. The "About Your Mac" screen-shot shows which, of the two cards, is actively running the display.

(BTW, an interesting article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202053…)

Here, after the desktop loads (I have FileVault enabled, so login is at initial boot time and the desktop loads by itself at the end):

090A6BB6-DD64-4D40-9370-FCEA2EB4A242.jpeg

Here, after loading a program like iMovie (or others that require the dGPU):

3C8D9FDA-0731-4BA5-911C-C7A2C5B96EAE.jpeg

So, everything seems to work quite well, without any new problems…

Last edited:
Reactions: RogueB

cab_007

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2020
Those with 10,1 or higher with dual GPU's & 12.5 - are you able to expand Photos to full screen size? I tried using both internal and discrete (via gfxCardStatus) and my machine locks up.

Sven G

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Milan, EU
^^^ Yes, tried that and got a long freeze, followed by a forced logout: and when logging in again, first a spinning beachball, and finally the desktop (very, very slowly) loaded again; tried it a second time, and the same happened, but this time with a locked-up black screen (BTW, Photos uses the Kepler dGPU): so, there indeed seem to be quite some problems, still…

Last edited:
Reactions: RogueB and cab_007

laertemeira

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2016
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hi friends! After my recent upgrades my Mac are surely more stable. But, some freezings occurs when I use web browsers (I have Safari, Safari Technical Preview, FireFox and Brave). Some site I can open in one browser but not in others... And some apps that use USB (Epoccam or another camera apps) or apps that are much like web browsers (Notion) freeze instantly on open. Have you experienced same problems? I'm on Monterey 12.4 with OCLP 0.4.7 (feature unlock disabled)....
Some freezings on idle time still occurring.

There are some way to debug, to find what is going wrong?

Thanks a lot!

johnsawyercjs

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2007
Hi friends! After my recent upgrades my Mac are surely more stable. But, some freezings occurs when I use web browsers (I have Safari, Safari Technical Preview, FireFox and Brave). Some site I can open in one browser but not in others... And some apps that use USB (Epoccam or another camera apps) or apps that are much like web browsers (Notion) freeze instantly on open. Have you experienced same problems? I'm on Monterey 12.4 with OCLP 0.4.7 (feature unlock disabled)....
Are you seeing the same problems with both your MacPro4,1->5,1 and your MacBookPro8,3? And when you say "recent upgrades", do you mean you've installed Monterey 12.5 onto both of them? I see from your post 6853 on Monday that you used OCLP 1.4.7 with Monterey 12.4, but if you just installed 12.5, did you use a newer version of OCLP for the post-install patches?

Last edited:
Reactions: laertemeira

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009

There are some way to debug, to find what is going wrong?

Thanks a lot!
Not here in my Mac Pro 4,1->5,1 , recently updated to 12.5-OCLP 0.4.8. Everything works like a charm.

Reactions: laertemeira

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
^^^ Yes, tried that and got a long freeze, followed by a forced logout: and when logging in again, first a spinning beachball, and finally the desktop (very, very slowly) loaded again; tried it a second time, and the same happened, but this time with a locked-up black screen (BTW, Photos uses the Kepler dGPU): so, there indeed seem to be quite some problems, still…

I’ve tried two things but I get my model of MacBook is different to your machine updating to OCLP 4.9 fixed this issue for me but then have to be careful with graphic switching . Second attempt is with OCLP 4.5 literally toggling automatic graphics switching off waiting for it to switch to Kepler graphics then toggling Automatic graphics back on 1st crash to log in log back in opens to full screen while I get non of these are really fixes I can now open photos full screen success May Vary but at least for some machines it is possible to get over this bug when you managed to get it to to open to full screen once it never seems to crash again including after reboot.

Last edited:

Bbeelzebub

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2015
iMac 14,2 w/ Nvidia GTX 780m using OCLP 4.5 and have same issue as everybody else (Login Loop) after updating to Monterey 12.5. Kicking myself for not having a time machine backup, but in the 8-1/2 years I've had this Mac, never have needed a backup.... until now. Doh!

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
iMac 14,2 w/ Nvidia GTX 780m using OCLP 4.5 and have same issue as everybody else (Login Loop) after updating to Monterey 12.5. Kicking myself for not having a time machine backup, but in the 8-1/2 years I've had this Mac, never have needed a backup.... until now. Doh!
Make a USB stick with OCLP and Macos 12.4 -install from USB over existing 12.5. Verhaps this will help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.