Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Make a USB stick with OCLP and Macos 12.4 -install from USB over existing 12.5. Verhaps this will help.
Unlikely to downgrade from 12.5 to 12.4 without wiping disk.
More likely possible to go back to beta 2 (or 3?) of 12.5 - if just anyone finds the old installer images or pkg.
(Apple seems to have revoked them, only beta 4 and 5 are still downloadable).

Any hints to where to find older betas welcome!

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
iMac 14,2 w/ Nvidia GTX 780m using OCLP 4.5 and have same issue as everybody else (Login Loop) after updating to Monterey 12.5. Kicking myself for not having a time machine backup, but in the 8-1/2 years I've had this Mac, never have needed a backup.... until now. Doh!
Might be a workaround:
Try to start your iMac into target mode and boot another Mac with it.
Preferably a Mac that has no Nvidia GPU, so that you´ll fall back to unaccelerated operation. Then use OCLP to uninstall the root patch.
You can then boot again your iMac and use the 0.4.9 to at least get frame buffer GPU usage...

What also works: Just install 12.5 again on your iMac and again use 0.4.9 to patch...

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
I recall you, people with dual graphics, there is an excellent app for switching, GSwitch, much superior than gfxCardStatus.

Testing your suggestion GSwitch can change dual graphics on 12.5 gfxCardStatus fails to change them just goes back to default . In another issue if using dual graphics you will lose the ability to connect to a monitor with the NVIDIA 750m on MacBook Pro 2014 as it throws it back to log in. just a update This app is a great suggestion in that if you force it to not use the NVIDIA card you can at least be sure when you switch it off your not going to to switch on and find your in the log in loop .

Last edited:

laertemeira

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2016
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Are you seeing the same problems with both your MacPro4,1->5,1 and your MacBookPro8,3? And when you say "recent upgrades", do you mean you've installed Monterey 12.5 onto both of them? I see from your post 6853 on Monday that you used OCLP 1.4.7 with Monterey 12.4, but if you just installed 12.5, did you use a newer version of OCLP for the post-install patches?

Hi John! My MacBookPro8,3 remains on Catalina (using Dosdude Catalina Patcher) once it's my backup machine. My upgrades was on hardware. I was using a mixed set of DDR3 RAM with different characteristics and the original 2.66GHz Xeon processor. Now I have the latest compatible Xeon processor and Samsung ECC RAM. I still using Monterey 12.4 with OCLP 0.4.9 (updated late night). I plan to update my MacBookPro to Monterey soon.

laertemeira

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2016
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Not here in my Mac Pro 4,1->5,1 , recently updated to 12.5-OCLP 0.4.8. Everything works like a charm.
It's good to know this @trifero! I suspect some software I installed... Wondering if a fresh install could make things better... Did you upgraded BT or USB on MacPros? What about your MacBookPro8,3? It runs Monterey perfectly too?

Bbeelzebub

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2015
Might be a workaround:
Try to start your iMac into target mode and boot another Mac with it.
Preferably a Mac that has no Nvidia GPU, so that you´ll fall back to unaccelerated operation. Then use OCLP to uninstall the root patch.
You can then boot again your iMac and use the 0.4.9 to at least get frame buffer GPU usage...

What also works: Just install 12.5 again on your iMac and again use 0.4.9 to patch...
I already removed the root patch via booting into safe mode. I can boot it now. Not sure if it uses nvidia without graphics acceleration or if it is using intel. I’ll update oclp and try and patch again

Tockman

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2021
I already removed the root patch via booting into safe mode. I can boot it now. Not sure if it uses nvidia without graphics acceleration or if it is using intel. I’ll update oclp and try and patch again
Just don't forget to take a look here.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
It's good to know this @trifero! I suspect some software I installed... Wondering if a fresh install could make things better... Did you upgraded BT or USB on MacPros? What about your MacBookPro8,3? It runs Monterey perfectly too?
Yes, of course! BT/wifi updated in both Mac Pro 5,1 and Macbook Pro 8,3. I think it´s a well spent money to get all the feautures. (Handoff, unlock bu¡y Appla Watch, etc etc). Also, in Macbook Pro 8,3 discrete GPU disabled.

Last edited:
Reactions: laertemeira

laertemeira

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2016
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Successfully updated cMP4,1->5,1 to Monterey 12.5, after a boot loop error. I manage to recover using my old 12.4 SATA SSD to boot and reapply OCLP 0.4.7 to NVMe Drive. Let's check stability in next days.

Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 17.00.27.png

Reactions: trifero and webg3

laertemeira

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2016
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hi friends. I have a question: can we get some hints about what is happening in our system reading the crash reports on Console or the Problem Report after a restart caused by an error?
Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 17.47.06.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 17.46.49.png

bobdamnit

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2014
Does OCLP 0.4.9 fix the Intel HD 4000 only cards that suffered VDA Decoder issues? I'm still sitting on 12.5 RC with an update pending, but I'm also still sitting on OCLP 0.4.6 because it was the last version to not have VDA Decoding issues. I'd like to confirm I can update OCLP and Monterey at the same time. Camera seems broken without VDA Decoding, so FaceTime and Photo Booth both crash if its not supported.

Thanks!

Reactions: macinfo

ipadawan

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2019
Hello All

Like in the Hackintosh scene I'am always amazed about their time to the knowlegde to get things work. So developers, at first thank you for the hard work.

I got an iMac 15.1 ( Late 2014 27" 5K 24GB mem )

one 512GB flash
Free: 184,09 GB (184.090.357.760 bytes)
Capacity: 499,9 GB (499.898.105.856 bytes)
Mount Point: /
File System: APFS
Writable: No
Ignore Ownership: No
BSD Name: disk4s5
Physical Drive:
Device Name: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB
Media Name: AppleAPFSMedia
Medium Type: SSD
Protocol: PCI-Expres
Internal: Yes
Partition Map Type: Unknown
SMART Status: Verified

one 1TB MX500 SSD as Data disk with the users data

Model: CT1000MX500SSD1
BSD Name: disk2
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

EFI:
Capacity: 209,7 MB (209.715.200 bytes)
File System: MS-DOS FAT32
BSD Name: disk2s1
Content: EFI

Data:
Capacity: 999,86 GB (999.860.912.128 bytes)
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk2s2
Mount Point: /Volumes/Data
Content: Apple_HFS

The OS is on the Samsung SSD 970 ( did formerly use it as a Fusion drive ) and has two Apple created APFS containers ( one is currently 11,4GB with mount point '/' and the second has a size of 299GB with the mount point '/System/Volumes/Data'

The User Data is on the the 1TB MX500 and mounted at /Volumes/Data

Will I run into issues with this setup once I upgrade to Monterey? Will it keep the Users structure intact?

Also I am using Fusion 360 and Sketchup and Photoshop, does it need to be reinstalled/relicensed or can I just jump into my work.

Thank you

Last edited:

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Edge case in my point, but I wonder what's up.
I run MacOS in an ESXi 7 virtual machine 24/7 to take advantage of content caching (with several Macs and iOS devices it does make sense, as the VM server works around the clock anyway).
It's well known that MacOS in a VM does not allow content caching, therefore I leveraged OpenCore Legacy Patcher to force content caching enabled - turns out it does work in a VM as well, so no further tricks were needed.
I used OCLP 0.4.7 and it allowed me to turn on content caching, everything was OK for past months. Oh, and this VM updated to 12.5 without a hitch yesterday.
So I decided to update the OCLP with the latest 0.4.9. And guess what, no matter what combination of settings I try, the "Build and install OpenCore" button is greyed out.

Screenshot 2022-07-23 at 11.44.11.png

OKonnel

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Italy
Verìy important for those who still don't know. If you have Monterey installed on your unsupported Mac and even it works fine, it is always a good idea to have a Catalina installation on another partition or disk and update Catalina with the latest macOS 10.15.7 release and also with the latest Security Update 2022-005 of Catalina.

Why?... The reason is simple and important. Almost always Apple, in fact, during the installation of major System releases or of Security Updates updates the Firmware of our Macs.
So, with these updates not only Apple introduces security patches and corrects any problems hardware but - above all - sets our "old Macs" to be compatibles with the modern peripherals; starting with Apple's input peripherals (or by other factory) such as Keyboard, Mouse and Trackpad and also with other modern devices such SSD, including Thunderbolt and nVME, RAM chipset, USB stiks, burners, etc...). Apart the identify at Boot, it's important also for compatibility in sleep mode...
So, if you think to buy a new Magic Keyboard 2, even if the Apple Store says that it's not compatible with your Mac, in reality this new keyboard will work perfectly thanks to the Firmware updated by Catalina.
It will then be possible, therefore, to press the CMD+Alt+R keys to the sound of the Gong to access to Recovery Utilities or press the CMD+Alt+PR keys to reset the PRAM or select a boot disk while holding down the ALT key, etc.
Obviously, macOS will recognize the last Magic Keyboard and there will be no problems such as malfunctions or exchange of keys, as described on Amazon in some negative feedbacks, also if the compatibility list in Apple Store is old and does to be update.

I enclose two screenshots just make:
- the white screenshot was make in Catalina, before carrying out the last 2022-005 Security Update
- the black screenshot shows, instead, the new Firmware number as detected by Monterey after the update maked with 2022-005 Catalina's Security Update.

I add that to act in original mode, I first deleted all contents of EFI OpenCore.
I used OpenCore Configurator in Catalina to activate the EFI partition on the Desktop and to delete the inside EFI folder.
So, I rebooted deleting the PRAM by holding down the CMD+Alt+PR keys on the Gong until I heard the Gong a couple of times.
So at new Gong I held down the Alt Option key until the Disc where I have Catalina appeared and so, after starting and updating Catalina:
- I started OCLP 0.4.9 and installed the EFI Boot in the EFI partition of the main SSD where I have Monterey.
- I opened System Preferences and select as Startup Disk the one I have Monterey on.
- I rebooted and at the Gong I pressed Alt until the OCLP's EFI Boot icon appeared.
So, I clicked on it while holding down the CTRL key.
Note: CTRL pressed during select and click on EFI Boot is a trick almost always useless; but it could be useful for those who do not realize that exist other EFI partitions in which is installed the OpenCore EFI Boot. By pressing the CTRL key during press Enter, therefore, you set this latest "EFI Boot" as default.

01 Firmware before 2022-005 Catalina SecUpd.jpg

02 Firmware after 2022-005 Catalina SecUpd.jpg

MacPeasant123

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2018
Yesterday I tried OpenCore Legacy Patcher for the very first time, with version 0.4.9 on my late 2011 MacBookPro 8,1. This isn't one of those with a Kepler GPU.

I hardly understand much of this stuff, but I followed a video from Mr. Macintosh and it all worked out ok:

NEW 2022! Monterey on Unsupported Macs [2008-2015] OpenCore Legacy Patcher!!!
Jun 22, 2022

A few things were a bit different on my setup than in his video but otherwise it went fine. I also had to do post-install patches to fix the video acceleration and it works normally now.

Thank you so much to the people behind OpenCore Legacy Patcher! Your work has breathed new life into my old Mac! Now it is a capable backup machine in case anything happens to my current 2020 Intel MacBookPro 16,2.

amishallin

macrumors member
May 31, 2020
No issues here with delta update using OCLP 0.4.9.

Wonder how much longer until Linux becomes the default installation on older Macs. Already tinkering with Ubuntu and got mbpfan to control my fans (I think). Not as good as Macs Fan Control but its better than auto fan control.

Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 6.23.04 PM.png

Reactions: macpro_mid2014

plugsnpixels

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
LA area
In this particular case, 2013 MacBook Air 6,1 successfully running Monterey 12.5 (updated online from beta 4). Currently using OCLP 0.4.9. Intel GPU thankfully!

All is well EXCEPT:

I pushed my luck and installed the Monterey version of Safari 16 that I saw linked somewhere in this forum. It too works well EXCEPT:

If I open a new window and try to close it, I get the spinning beachball for a few minutes.

Opening and closing new tabs does not invoke this behavior, nor does it occur in the Technology Preview.

I tried clearing all History, running all tasks in Onyx, deleting Safari cache, none helped. I did not try an alternate user.

Obviously I cannot easily revert to Safari 15.6, so my options seem to be: tough it out until an update appears, avoid opening new windows or use Firefox/Chrome (which work properly in this regard).

Ideas?

I've also had success with a 2010 MacBook Pro, now on 12.5

I did go with Linux Lite on my 2008 17" MacBook Pro and a 2010 27" iMac, very easy to do on the pre-T2 Macs. I do think eventually all of these older Macs will head the same way, once Monterey is put to pasture.

bobdamnit

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2014
Does OCLP 0.4.9 fix the Intel HD 4000 only cards that suffered VDA Decoder issues? I'm still sitting on 12.5 RC with an update pending, but I'm also still sitting on OCLP 0.4.6 because it was the last version to not have VDA Decoding issues. I'd like to confirm I can update OCLP and Monterey at the same time. Camera seems broken without VDA Decoding, so FaceTime and Photo Booth both crash if its not supported.

Thanks!
Bit the bullet. 0.4.9 does indeed fix the issue.

steverae

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
UK
Ok… here’s a weird one.

So I updated my macpro 5,1 to latest boot rom144.000.000 and also flashed my ATI HD7950 with a mac efi. Every thing works perfect on Mojave. But since doing that I’ve not been able to install anything that uses OCLP patcher. This just booms out after second portion of install…

So booted it up I. Verbose mode and saw lots of these errors
05de0da80c61c8aab352485b5980aac8.jpg

I’ve tried a pram reset but no luck.

I can boot up into Mojave no problem but anything higher than this all do the same thing, even tried Big Sir.

Issue is, this all worked perfectly fine before the boot loader update - I had Monterey 12.5 rc1 running fine - I think this has Boaked something, anyone had this issue before and knows a way to resolve it.

steverae

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
UK
Ok… here’s a weird one.

So I updated my macpro 5,1 to latest boot rom144.000.000 and also flashed my ATI HD7950 with a mac efi. Every thing works perfect on Mojave. But since doing that I’ve not been able to install anything that uses OCLP patcher. This just booms out after second portion of install…

I can boot up into Mojave no problem but anything higher than this all do the same thing, even tried Big Sir.

Issue is, this all worked perfectly fine before the boot loader update - I had Monterey 12.5 rc1 running fine - I think this has Boaked something, anyone had this issue before and knows a way to resolve it.

Ok… here’s a weird one.

Oh …
144c3b87a705ed554cd66c7ccb852357.jpg

Things seem to be progressing after several more pram resets (5 in a row ffs)…..

But it looks like we’re cooking on gas now as we have booted into Monterey setup - whoop whoop

So I’ll update this post with a screen shot of the final config - what a pain this was, it kernal panicked like 3 times during the install…

ba88c8e63316f284d24c7f001dbaaa28.jpg

But we got there in the end …..

steverae

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
UK
Just teinstalled 12.5 again on my ssd just to make sure it wasn’t a fluke and it sailed through, no issues, in fact, I hit install, forgot about it for a while and when I came back it was all done.

So now have a fully functional MacPro 5,1 with HD7950 mac edition (patched) and all is good in the world again.

Now we just wait for the Kepler fix so I can update my 13,2

Reactions: jgleigh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.