Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Right. I'm doing a search on the Monterey thread for the posts where I documented what I did. Will update this post when I find it.

Edit, later: It seems I did not document what I did, shame on me. But I'm still pretty sure I did not reset PRAM/NVRAM. I agree though it's a good idea to discuss it in my previous post describing the firmware update workflow that I posted yesterday. I've edited that post to include a PRAM/NVRAM reset as a recommended step before booting into Catalina to start the macOS install or update.

Last edited:

vendini

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
Did you boot into Catalina bypassing OCLP EFI and clearing PRAM?
I did bypass OCLP, but, no, I didn't clear PRAM, and indeed, THIS was the problem. After clearing PRAM, Catalina installed the security update, and EFI firmware could be updated, finally. So, you're right. EFI firmware doesn't want to update until PRAM is cleared. Thank you so much for your help!!

Last edited:

agala68

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2021
This thread will be dedicated to the discussion of running macOS 13.0 on Unsupported Macs

Welcome to the new macOS Ventura on Unsupported Macs thread! We're eagerly awaiting for all our community developers and enthusiasts to test out the new version of macOS. Please play it by ear and only experiment with the new OS if you really know what you're doing.

We will be expanding this thread with much more information as the day goes by including known issues as well as patcher support.

macOS Ventura Compatibility

• MacBook Air (2018 and Later)
    • MacBookAir8,x
    • MacBookAir9,x
  • MacBook Pro (2017 and Later)
    • MacBookPro14,x
    • MacBookPro15,x
    • MacBookPro16,x
  • MacBook (2017 and Later)
    • MacBook10,1
  • Mac Mini (2018 and Later)
    • MacMini8,1
  • iMac (2017 and Later)
    • iMac18,x
    • iMac19,x
    • iMac20,x
  • iMac Pro (2017 and Later)
    • iMacPro1,1
  • Mac Pro (2019)
    • MacPro7,1
* Note: List does not include Apple Silicon Macs

Not officially supported in macOS Ventura, but most likely fully capable of running it
  • 2015/17 MacBook Air
    • MacBookAir7,x
  • 2015/16 MacBook Pro
    • MacBookPro11,4-5
    • MacBookPro12,1
    • MacBookPro13,x
  • 2016 MacBook
    • MacBook9,1
  • 2014 Mac Mini
    • Macmini7,1
  • 2015 iMac
    • iMac16,x
    • iMac17,1
  • 2013 Mac Pro
    • MacPro6,1

Not officially supported in macOS Ventura, but currently not or only partly capable of running it
  • Machines without AVX2 support will no longer boot without workaround**
    • If you're unsure whether or not your Mac supports AVX2, type in this command into Terminal sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu.leaf7_features | grep -o AVX2. Getting AVX2 printed out it means your system has a (decent) chance to run Ventura in future.
    • UPDATE: A workaround has been found: Using the Rosetta 2 x64 emulation library from Apple Silicon Ventura installations, all intel processors from Core 2 Duo (Penryn) on can successfully boot the current macos 13.0 beta
  • Devices with Ivy Bridge CPUs and older, basically all Macs older than Late 2013 do not support AVX2 natively. See above.
  • Support of these systems would require an opcode emulator to work around it, a complex piece of software. See workaround above.
  • GPU drivers from before Kaby Lake (Intel) or Polaris (AMD) are removed. Graphics drivers have been patched on all metal-supported (basically post-2012) GPUs. See this post for details.
  • Even if you can boot, you might not have GPU acceleration, just frame buffer at most. Can be circumvented by applying alpha acceleration patches on metal-supported GPUs
  • Non-metal GPUs have absolutely no support for graphics acceleration (see #998)
Developers will investigate re-adding support. No guarantees

Owners of older Macs are used to the procedure...
  • Just check the first post of the macOS 12 Monterey on Unsupported Macs thread
The Monterey thread/post already covers how to download the Apple installer packages and why and how it is limited to end users by Apple (Beta program), it mentions the state-of-the-art patcher (OCLP) and explains everything else worth knowing right now. Since there isn't even basic support for Ventura right now, please jump onto this train only if you have a fair amount of developing or troubleshooting skills.

Get used the reading the first post of this thread again and again, it is the most valuable source of information. It will be updated constantly.

This is not the OLCP support llist!

This is an unconfirmed list of machines Apple dropped, but that have managed to boot Ventura
(regardless of the patches/method required to enable them, * denotes GPU metal API patch support with appropriate GPUs):

MacPro3,1 *
MacPro4,1 *
MacPro5,1 *

iMac13,1 (21.5") *
iMac14,1 (21.5") *
iMac14,3 (21.5") *
iMac15,1 (5k) *
iMac16,2 (21.5") *
iMac17,1 (5k) *

MacMini4,1
MacMini5,1
MacMini6,1 *
MacMini6,2 *
MacMini7,1 *

MacBookAir2,1
MacBookAir3,2
MacBookAir4,2 (13")
MacBookAir5,x *
MacBookAir6,1 (11") *
MacBookAir7,x *

MacBook4,1
MacBook5,2
MacBook6,1
MacBook7,1
MacBook8,1 *
MacBook9,1 *

MacBookPro4,1 (17")
MacBookPro5,x
MacBookPro6,1 (17")
MacBookPro7,1 (13")
MacBookPro8,x
MacBookPro9,2 *
MacBookPro10,1 *
MacBookPro11,1 *
MacBookPro13,3 *

...to be continued!

Even using a supported metal GPU on pre Haswell systems fails because the AMD driver stack (AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle) now uses AVX2 instructions. AVX2 use will not be limited to the kernel and drivers. You may check this link about the current situation.

For all of who have installed Ventura on any supported/unsupported devices you may use this method to check for AVX2 instructions hidden in any executables or libs. Unfortunately is is not that easy to access binaries from the kernel extensions any longer since they are not stored on disk but hidden in a big cache.

Please mention @0xCUBE in a post if a different Mac that is not on this list is confirmed to boot.

All hardware still supported with Monterey but dropped from Ventura support will get Apple software and firmware updates until late summer 2024. To apply those (valuable and often necessary firmware) updates you need to install and update Monterey on your system. All firmware upgrades are bundled into the supported macOS updates, only. Ventura will not provide those firmware updates, since your Mac is not supported by Apple with Ventura!

The most easy way to achieve this is having an APFS container (aka volume) in parallel with your new Ventura installation. No user data needs to be copied in there. Just boot Monterey when you get an Monterey update notification and apply this update.

Note that when booting a supported OS to get firmware updates it must not be booted via OpenCore. Press alt/option on boot and do a PRAM reset before booting back into Monterey.

You may drop (delete) this basic Monterey installation after Apple stopped delivering new updates in autumn 2024. You will not get new firmware releases.

(If you read this section after 2024 just prepare your unsupported system by installing once the latest Monterey version released by Apple including all updates to get the latest firmware update installed. You may drop this Monterey installation after this procedure.)

Another method to update the firmware has been described on this site. It requires some system admin technical skills.

Bad news:

TM (time machine) restoring and MA (migration assistant) is broken on root patched systems. Do not try, system will only arrive in an unbootable and uncorrectable state after hours of restoring or transferring data.

There are two ways around this:

1. Use the OCLP USB installer and install Ventura on top of your current (supported or unsupported) macOS. This will retain your current user data. But create a final TM backup before leaving your supported macOS installation, it will be the only return ticket.

2. Simply use MA or TM before system has been root patched by the OCLP app. This is sometimes difficult to achieve when auto-patching ran before you even reached the login page. You can prevent auto-patching by creating an USB installer manually (createinstallmedia and install OpenCore manually).

The OCLP (OpenCore Legacy Patcher) for Ventura has been released. Support is experimental.

A lot of known issues exist, do not expect fixes and please do not even ask for fixes - this constant noise only ruins motivation of all people involved into this project.

A complete step by step guide is available in the ventura documentation. Please read this documentation before you start the installation process. Please understand only USB installer based installations are supported. Support is limited to legacy Apple systems only as listed within the docs.

Please retain the USB installer, it is a simple recovery tool in case your shiny new Ventura installation breaks for some reason.

OLCP gets regularly updates, please check those updates by reading the release notes and the full changelog.
My 12.1, mid 2011 21.5 inch, upgraded with Xeon CPUand NVIDIA Quadro K2100M GPU is currentluy perfectly running with Monterey, what about installng Opencore Ventura, since the GPU supports Metal up to 1v4, did somebody already try Ventura on this hackintosh upgraded model?

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
Wow, Everything is up to date and running great! Thank you!
Note: I am asking the Devs to please get the legacy wifi working for cMP 5,1

Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 8.16.23 PM.png

Last edited:

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
updating to 13.1 rc no problem on 2014 again as I’ve posted before updating runs smoother than on Monterey when it would get stuck at 50% on installer till patched. Ventura running great for what I use again thanks to OCLP team considering they didn’t think they would have a patch for Ventura originally for a while it’s a massive achievement I think what they have managed so far so Thanks again .

bbfans

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2022
I installed Ventura successfully on my Mac Mini 2014. But it cannot detect the graphics card and the mouse cursor movement is very choppy. Any help?

RogueB

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Hello to all,

Successfully installed 13.1 RC using OCLP 0.5.3n on iMac 13,2 (late 2012, 27" , 1TB original apple fusion drive, quad i7, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB). Software update downloaded OTA.
Internal drive is divided into three partitions, each of which "holds" a separate and bottable OS version: Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey, respectively.
No issues noted, so far, with any aspects of iMac's system operations or applications' performance.

Hope this note may be of help.

Last edited:
Reactions: hvds and Tockman

amaze1499

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014
Out of curiosity: Has the preferred network option when selecting personal hotspots/wifi networks been removed in the lastest build? Or am I just not seeing it?

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Out of curiosity: Has the preferred network option when selecting personal hotspots/wifi networks been removed in the lastest build? Or am I just not seeing it?
No changes in RC here:

Attachments

• Bildschirm­foto 2022-12-08 um 22.41.25.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2022-12-08 um 22.41.25.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 70

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
Has the preferred network option when selecting personal hotspots/wifi networks been removed in the lastest build?
If you mean the network locations they are only accessible via the terminal for now AFAIK.
Locations will be visible under the Apple menu after you have created alternate locations.
See networksetup -help
Options are:

Code:
-listlocations        list network locations
-createlocation       create new network location
-getcurrentlocation   display current network location
-deletelocation       delete specified network location
-switchtolocation     switch to specified network location

Reactions: coolio2004

amaze1499

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014
If you mean the network locations they are only accessible via the terminal for now AFAIK.
Locations will be visible under the Apple menu after you have created alternate locations.
See networksetup -help
Options are:

Code:
-listlocations        list network locations
-createlocation       create new network location
-getcurrentlocation   display current network location
-deletelocation       delete specified network location
-switchtolocation     switch to specified network location

Thank you for your reply. Its not a huge issue, however til Monterey it was possible to drag your preferred networks into a particular order:

Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 06.36.27.png

I only stumbled across this, since Ventura always shows and tries to connect to an obsolete hotspot in personal hotspots in my case. I am sure I can solve this using the terminal and the .plist somehow.

Last edited:

Portiere

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2022
Updated successfully internal and external disk to Ventura 22C65 (OCLP 0.5.3) on Mac mini late 2012 quad core.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.