Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
2013 Retina MBP 11,3 running 13.4 and the OCLP amfi-pass-b4
(1) Several times now I have found the mac unresponsive and the keyboard hot, having to power-cycle to restore functionality.
(2) Also at the suggestion of other comments above I tried TV.app and found that attempting to play some shows caused the window to spontaneously close.

Any thoughts on this? Is a frozen Mac after sleep common? Fix for TV.app in the works?
Have you tried it tv.app with a vpn?

Reactions: K two

hal90088

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2018
Not sure if it will help or not, but I have a crash report from Pages when trying to import an image. I'm using amfipass beta 4 with 13.4.1 on my MBP 9,1.
Do you know what can cause this problem?

I am trying to figure out the reason for this error but I have conflicting information. Of the three computers where I use ventura through OCLP, on two of them Pages crashes when I insert an image, but on one of them (the newest one) there is no problem, and apparently it has the same configuration as the other two.

From what I've seen, this problem started to appear from a specific version of Ventura. First I thing that the problem is the configuration of the EMFI or SIP, but when I compare the information of these configurations between the computers in which it does not work and the other one that work, I see that in all of them these two parameters are configured in the same way.

I have reported this problem in this message

Kevo

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2007
Do you know what can cause this problem?
No, I think it is related to a change in the OS that occurred after 13.2.1 and is triggering some error or missing capability in the patches. It's not clear to me what is being called that crashes from the crash report. I think someone with some better debugging knowledge will have to figure that out and then see if it's something that can be patched or not.

hal90088

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2018
No, I think it is related to a change in the OS that occurred after 13.2.1 and is triggering some error or missing capability in the patches. It's not clear to me what is being called that crashes from the crash report. I think someone with some better debugging knowledge will have to figure that out and then see if it's something that can be patched or not.
More information about this error.

If you execute Pages in terminal, when i attach an image in the document, I can see the following error in the terminal:

zsh: illegal hardware instruction sudo ./Pages

The important error codes that appears in the extract of the execution i thin that are the following.

Code 4 Illegal instruction: 4

Dispatch queue: "com.apple.root.user-initiated-qos"

illegal hardware instruction

Perhaps the problem is not the version of Ventura. Perhaps the problem is the version of Pages. ¿Anybody have a previous version of pages to make a try?

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
Any word from Dortania - VPN as fix?🧐
No but not sure I’ve asked in the right places , was looking for more feedback on it here before annoying the Devs while I know it has worked for a few people on here not sure if I’m missing the point .

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
@rbart I was doing some thinking regarding the HEVC issue and Ventura and the AMD GPU in our iMac model. With all things considered, even with Monterey, I don't use HEVC with this Mac, and when it comes to the iPhone, I could switch to using H.264, for any videos. With that said, is there a way to disable HEVC support in software to avoid the hardware limitations until the developers might be able to find a better solution? for me I wouldn't be giving up anything personally by doing so. The 3 main video formats I use with my iMac on a daily basis are:
H.264
Mpeg2
VP9

Beyond that I'm not aware of doing anything that demands HEVC support. I don't watch apple content on the Mac, I use an Apple TV box for that, or another platform that supports Apple TV, and the only real HEVC I use is with my 4K blu-rays, and I have a stand alone hardware player for those. I will occasionally listen to Apple Music on the Mac, but that's it, not video, and even then, I either use the phone, Apple TV, or amazon echo, linked to Apple Music.

I was just thinking if I could strip out what I don't use, I might have a better experience trying Ventura.

shmasser

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2023
More information about this error.

If you execute Pages in terminal, when i attach an image in the document, I can see the following error in the terminal:

zsh: illegal hardware instruction sudo ./Pages

The important error codes that appears in the extract of the execution i thin that are the following.

Code 4 Illegal instruction: 4

Dispatch queue: "com.apple.root.user-initiated-qos"

illegal hardware instruction

Perhaps the problem is not the version of Ventura. Perhaps the problem is the version of Pages. ¿Anybody have a previous version of pages to make a try?
No, it doesn't work with Pages 11.1 either: when you try to import images, the application crashes

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
MacBook Pro 11,3

Successful patched install 1st go.

Cant install post install root patch. Keep getting: Reason for Patch Failure (71):

The error goes on to mention something about being unable to resolve a dependency

Any ideas?

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
MacBook Pro 11,3

Successful patched install 1st go.

Cant install post install root patch. Keep getting: Reason for Patch Failure (71):

The error goes on to mention something about being unable to resolve a dependency

Any ideas?
You might be OK by zapping the NVRAM (Option+Command+r+p keys held down at start up).
However, in the past, in order to resolve that error, I had to download the MountEFI utility from Github and use it to delete the contents of the EFI partition folder. A reinstall of OCLP and the following root patches was successful.
What version of OCLP and macOS did you use?

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
You might be OK by zapping the NVRAM (Option+Command+r+p keys held down at start up).
However, in the past, in order to resolve that error, I had to download the MountEFI utility from Github and use it to delete the contents of the EFI partition folder. A reinstall of OCLP and the following root patches was successful.
What version of OCLP and macOS did you use?
Ill try the NVRAM zap and see what happens?

I used MacOS 13.4.1 and the latest OCLP v.0.6.7

I managed to finish copying the exact error dialogue since I posted:

Reason for Patch Failure (71):

No variant specified, falling back to release
Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=71 "Unable to resolve in hot dependencies: 'com.apple.GeForceTesla names a dependency on 'com.apple nvidia, classic. NVDAResmanTesla', which was not found." Userinfo-(NSLocalizedDescription-Unable to resolve dependencies: 'com.apple GeForceTesla' names a dependency on 'com.apple.nvidia, classic NVDAResmanTesla', which was not found.)

Xanix

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Hello. I am looking for help, from the experts.

Today, I have tried to install Ventura on my Mac. I have tb2; so, I am using a thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter, to connect my Studio Display.

Ventura USB pen install ready, with OCLP, also ready:
I start the install procedure as advised; the apple logo show up, the line start going... then, I get a black screen (due the grey color on screen, maybe because of the maximum brightness, I know the monitor is still working) but, I can not get going; only a black screen...

I have tried:
2013 Mac Pro > tb2 to tb3 adapter > Razer Core X Chroma > RX 6900 XT > Studio Display
(I did not expect this way to work, because I can not use "KRYPTONITE", as on Monterrey)
On Monterrey everything works: the display directly connected to the Mac, the eGPU connected to the machine and the display connected to the eGPU with the KRYPTONITE fix.

I also tried:

tb2 (1/2/3/4/5/6) > tb2 to tb3 adapter > Studio Display

It is always the same thing... Apple logo, the line going forward, then the screen turns black. I can not proceed, with the installation.

I have read something about Apple blocking tb2 and tb3 on Ventura. Does this means I can not install Ventura if I want to use, the Studio Display? will this work, if the display has an HDMI connection? Is the OCLP team working on this? I think I am not the only one; there is a big number of of old Macs only with tb2 with the Thunderbolt Display and the more recent Studio Display, as monitors.

Any help would be really appreciated. Kind regards to all.

Reactions: webg3

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Ill try the NVRAM zap and see what happens?

I used MacOS 13.4.1 and the latest OCLP v.0.6.7

I managed to finish copying the exact error dialogue since I posted:

Reason for Patch Failure (71):

Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=71 "Unable to resolve in hot dependencies: 'com.apple.GeForceTesla names a dependency on 'com.apple nvidia, classic. NVDAResmanTesla', which was not found." Userinfo-(NSLocalizedDescription-Unable to resolve dependencies: 'com.apple GeForceTesla' names a dependency on 'com.apple.nvidia, classic NVDAResmanTesla', which was not found.)
Have you tried using MountEFI to erase the content of the EFI folder, and then reinstall OCLP after an NVRAM zap?
You could also try using the latest AMFIPass version of OCLP, available here;
or ask the experts on that forum after trying it?

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
@rbart I was doing some thinking regarding the HEVC issue and Ventura and the AMD GPU in our iMac model. With all things considered, even with Monterey, I don't use HEVC with this Mac, and when it comes to the iPhone, I could switch to using H.264, for any videos. With that said, is there a way to disable HEVC support in software to avoid the hardware limitations until the developers might be able to find a better solution? for me I wouldn't be giving up anything personally by doing so. The 3 main video formats I use with my iMac on a daily basis are:
H.264
Mpeg2
VP9

Beyond that I'm not aware of doing anything that demands HEVC support. I don't watch apple content on the Mac, I use an Apple TV box for that, or another platform that supports Apple TV, and the only real HEVC I use is with my 4K blu-rays, and I have a stand alone hardware player for those. I will occasionally listen to Apple Music on the Mac, but that's it, not video, and even then, I either use the phone, Apple TV, or amazon echo, linked to Apple Music.

I was just thinking if I could strip out what I don't use, I might have a better experience trying Ventura.
I don't really use my Mac to watch videos, but I don't want to have issues with video content (on internet) or slow or buggy apps because they don't have access to HEVC decoder.
For the moment, I keep Ventura on a second partition for Xcode 14.3+ needs and keep Monterey as main system
Except this very annoying HEVC problem, all seems smooth and solid on Ventura, thanks to OCLP developers !

Reactions: vsc and deeveedee

Synaesthesia242

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2009
Retina MBP 15" 2012 - I had this issue with Monterey 13.4 where Pages would crash if I pasted an image into it - I really need that to work. Had to downgrade my system. Does anyone know if this issue got fixed?

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
I’ll try the AMFIPass first.

Is there a specific steps with the EFI delete? I read the documentation on GitHub for MountEFI. It looks like it’s all done thru terminal. So I would assume it allows me to mount disk0 (I think that’s the EFI disk) and then from there using terminal or maybe even disk utility I would delete every bit of data that exists on it? Without actually getting rid of the partition itself? Yea?

I’m just trying to be clear in murky waters lol. Trying to avoid clean install. Never ever had a problem with OCLP installs before and I’ve been away from home…so of course I didn’t do a backup. Of course. The one time. Lol

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I’ll try the AMFIPass first.

Is there a specific steps with the EFI delete? I read the documentation on GitHub for MountEFI. It looks like it’s all done thru terminal. So I would assume it allows me to mount disk0 (I think that’s the EFI disk) and then from there using terminal or maybe even disk utility I would delete every bit of data that exists on it? Without actually getting rid of the partition itself? Yea?

I’m just trying to be clear in murky waters lol. Trying to avoid clean install. Never ever had a problem with OCLP installs before and I’ve been away from home…so of course I didn’t do a backup. Of course. The one time. Lol
Get the utility and run it. It is not done with terminal. It is a simple script application. It starts and then presents a simple 1,2 3 type of choice selections. Pick the one that says mount the EFI partition. Then you can use finder to delete the contents of the EFI folder.Quit and select the EFI partition, and then Command E should dismount that partition. After that try a NVRAM zap and reinstall OCLP. I remember that this procedure worked to get past that error message. Bon voyage

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
After deleting the contents of the EFI folder I rebooted to zap the NVRAM and then after the second chime allowed it to go thru the normal boot process. I no longer have a bootable Mac...

prohibited symbol and https://support.apple.com/mac/startup

Used a friends MBP to install OCLP to my Ventura usb installer to get back into my system. Auto message for root patch came up again but no difference. Realized I forgot to reinstall OCLP to boot drive because the message popped up, so I reinstall OCLP to boot drive, reboot, try root patch again, relaunch as root, and still get the same exact error 71 and dialogue

Last edited:

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
After deleting the contents of the EFI folder I rebooted to zap the NVRAM and then after the second chime allowed it to go thru the normal boot process. I no longer have a bootable Mac...

Used a friends MBP to install OCLP to my Ventura usb installer to get back into my system. Auto message for root patch came up again but no difference. Realized I forgot to reinstall OCLP to boot drive because the message popped up, so I reinstall OCLP to boot drive, reboot, try root patch again, relaunch as root, and still get the same exact error 71 and dialogue

Ive also posted in the discord server but no responses yet

EDIT: sorry for the double post, tried to quote the message I was responding too but failed twice for some reason

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan

Ive also posted in the discord server but no responses yet

EDIT: sorry for the double post, tried to quote the message I was responding too but failed twice for some reason
Too bad about that! Have you tried to install Big Sur? I assume that is compatible with your MBP (it is according to MacTracker and this site:)

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
concerning the Apple TV issue for those that don’t want to use a vpn I’ve pinpointed at Least a issue on brcmfx-country=XX changes the country code to XX (US, CN, #a, ...), (in device properties if your using opencore configurator.)
Set this to a different region e.g. set to USA Apple TV works 100% without a vpn for me.
DISCLAIMER: you can mess up changing regions and would try at your own risk if editing your files keep a backup of a working config.plist if your going to try and if you have never heard of it don’t try and see if there’s a better fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.