Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

JoinMeinHeaven

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2021
Middle of the world
After using the system all day yesterday, it seems that from time to time it hangs up on start up. I would say 50%. I have to hold down the power button for 5 seconds to get it to turn off. When I restart, it it says system was turned off …. It does restart on 2nd attempt.

I did not install the system on the external. It’s in the OWC 1Gb internal.
I installed it on a USB, I wonder if that has something to do. If you want to know why does it hangs up. Press command v to activate verbose mode

Reactions: Lgga74

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
I installed it on a USB, I wonder if that has something to do. If you want to know why does it hangs up. Press command v to activate verbose mode
I ran into the “watchdog” kernel panic too. The boot sequence in graphic mode would show the progress bar stopping at about 50% complete, that’s when the KP would occur. It turned out to be AMFI.

For me, it happened when I upgraded from OCLP 0.6.4 to 0.6.7. I was able to workaround it by booting into the recovery partition, then edit the OpenCore config.plist. Find the NVRAM section, edit the boot-args setting, add amfi=0x80. That setting is what the OCLP GUI adds when the “disable AMFI” option is selected. Find my post a few pages back, I tried to write a detailed method of adding the amfi value to the config.plist…

I don’t know if that will help you guys or not. It’s worth giving it a try.

Also, if you have multiple disks (even USB memory sticks), you need to be sure which of the disks is providing the EFI with OpenCore. It’s easy to edit the wrong disk/OC and then wonder why the changes haven’t had the desired effect.

OKonnel

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Italy
It’s the Lightroom Classic Denoise feature that crawls like a snail. Typically 20 minutes on the 14,2 iMac. I’ve seen You Tube videos where it runs in less than a minute on the latest macs.
Thanks for the clarification, @Marfan-58! If I have some time tomorrow, I'll install Lightroom Classic and will try also me to test the AI Denoise filter.
Maybe with my macOS 13.2.1 the filter is fast… and if so I will write it in the Forum, of course…

JoinMeinHeaven

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2021
Middle of the world
I ran into the “watchdog” kernel panic too. The boot sequence in graphic mode would show the progress bar stopping at about 50% complete, that’s when the KP would occur. It turned out to be AMFI.

For me, it happened when I upgraded from OCLP 0.6.4 to 0.6.7. I was able to workaround it by booting into the recovery partition, then edit the OpenCore config.plist. Find the NVRAM section, edit the boot-args setting, add amfi=0x80. That setting is what the OCLP GUI adds when the “disable AMFI” option is selected. Find my post a few pages back, I tried to write a detailed method of adding the amfi value to the config.plist…
IMG_2677.jpeg

I did it, I dont know if I did it wrong because it didn't work
IMG_2676.jpeg

Also, if you have multiple disks (even USB memory sticks), you need to be sure which of the disks is providing the EFI with OpenCore. It’s easy to edit the wrong disk/OC and then wonder why the changes haven’t had the desired effect.
Opencore is in a partition of my original ssd. It's the only one.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
rMBP10,1 mid 2012 + OCLP 6.7 updated from Ventura 13.4 to 13.4.1. It took a while, maybe 6(?) auto-reboots, so be prepared to allocate some time for this.

OCLP auto-prompted to reinstall root patches which, after a final reboot, got the external monitor back online and bluetooth running smoothly. It's working well, so far as I can see at this point.

Last edited:

Kevo

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2007
Not sure if it will help or not, but I have a crash report from Pages when trying to import an image. I'm using amfipass beta 4 with 13.4.1 on my MBP 9,1.

Attachments

• Pages-2023-06-22-124350.txt
    30 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: shmasser

peppolone

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
Is it worth upgrading my 2014 MacBook Pro with OCLP if it's functioning well? And how can I perform the upgrade without formatting via OTA

ElSooz

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2021
Washington
Is it worth upgrading my 2014 MacBook Pro with OCLP if it's functioning well? And how can I perform the upgrade without formatting via OTA
Generally you should not do it unless you are a) adventurous b) comfortable following somewhat complicated directions whose purpose you are unlikely to completely understand c) need or want features not offered by supported versions of MacOS.

Further, if the machine is mission-critical you should NOT DO IT, nor should you expect detailed assistance from the heroic and unpaid creators of this work-around if it fails for you.

And finally, you should heed the many reminders that a good backup is part of this: be prepared to wipe your hard drive and re-install your stuff from scratch with a supported OS.

That said, its kind of cool to be able to do this on my late 2013 retina MBP,

Reactions: olad and shafez

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
First, make a backup! While it may be possible to update the system to Big Sur, Monterey or Ventura without erasing your data, you should be ready to wipe the internal SSD using a USB install disk created using OCLP (probably the release version 0.6.7 for Ventura, 0.4.11 for older). CCC can be used for a one-month trial free of charge, but I personally think it is well worth the cost.
Another poster has noted issues with that MBP, but they may have hardware issues that cause kernel panics (probably a borderline bad RAM chip).
You can try using the OCLP USB install disk to install over your present data volume, but the safest is to wipe the SSD and restore your data from the CCC backup after the system install via Apple's migration process.
Read the OCLP instructions! Especially the part about using the option key boot picker to select the EFI icon first, then the USB install icon.
OCLP versions available here:

Reactions: shafez

JoinMeinHeaven

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2021
Middle of the world
Another poster has noted issues with that MBP, but they may have hardware issues that cause kernel panics (probably a borderline bad RAM chip).
No bad RAM chip at all. Never experience kernel panics outside test with unsupported macOS versions.
Not even in windows playing heavy games for very long periods of time.

I would suggest you to install the update in a different partition. No need of wiping your whole disk first really

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
Yes, it is worth it IF you need the incremental functionality or features offered in the macOS you are going to, over the macOS, on your current 2014 MacBook Pro. Only YOU can answer that.

Start here:

at the first post ( no need to read the second post)
and be sure to read and re-read each step, as you proceed.
Great Luck !

Reactions: shafez

JoinMeinHeaven

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2021
Middle of the world
I set up a MacBook Pro 2014 for our IT guy…he used 0.6.6 and 13.4 with no problems whatsoever. I’m wondering if you did something wrong.
It's what I am so hard trying to figure it out every day :( It might be because I installed it on a usb stick ....
Edit: Im stupid, it was the usb. I made the update in my main disk and it booted
Continuity camera still not working :(

Last edited:

jbourg

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2010
iMac12,2 K3100M (Kepler) running Ventura_13.3 with the latest OCLP_v063n:
lots of nsattributedstringagent crash records within the first 3 min after booting up.

Code:
[/QUOTE]
Am also seeing several nsatributedstringagent crash reports shortly after rebooting.  After updating app Microsoft Remote Desktop (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-remote-desktop/id1295203466?mt=12), saw MTLAssetUpgraderD crashes a few times.

iMac 14,2
3.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2 GB
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
macOS Ventura 13.4
OCLP V0.6.7

Attachments

• nsattributedstringagent-2023-06-23-075758.ips.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 37
  • MTLAssetUpgraderD-2023-06-23-070303.ips.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 42

ElSooz

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2021
Washington
2013 Retina MBP 11,3 running 13.4 and the OCLP amfi-pass-b4
(1) Several times now I have found the mac unresponsive and the keyboard hot, having to power-cycle to restore functionality.
(2) Also at the suggestion of other comments above I tried TV.app and found that attempting to play some shows caused the window to spontaneously close.

Any thoughts on this? Is a frozen Mac after sleep common? Fix for TV.app in the works?

Reactions: K two

JoinMeinHeaven

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2021
Middle of the world
If this were me, I would reinstall ,from the USB, using 0.6.7 OCLP and 13.4.1. Make a USB installer, and install everything to the SSD.
I don't think it would work. I have tried so many combinations of the same thing and it just never does. It stays black with the "Failed to init AVCMediaStreamNegotiatorSettings for mode=3" error

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.