Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
Not really insecure. If your Mac is authenticated to your account, then there’s no reason not to show the 2FA code on that device when logging into Apple via the browser. It’s no different than logging your phone into a website and using Duo on the same phone to pull the 2FA code.

Actually I take that back. I can see ways to exploit this.

Phima256

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Cleveland
Just downloaded the public beta, mainly because I want to use Sidecar. I have a 2018 MBP and an iPad Pro 9.7. No Sidecar option in my System Preferences. Anyone have any idea why? I'm so disappointed!

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
Here's a security issue. I have two-factor authentication on my Apple ID. Whenever I am asked to enter my Apple ID, whether it's an app like Apple Music or on Apple's website (pictured), it asks me to enter a six-digit code shown on my other Apple devices... except it shows it on this device. Not exactly secure... "Enter the password... also, here's the password!" Anyone else getting this?
I think that’s happened to me on Mojave, not sure if it’s new to Catalina.

falcwine

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2019
Just downloaded the public beta, mainly because I want to use Sidecar. I have a 2018 MBP and an iPad Pro 9.7. No Sidecar option in my System Preferences. Anyone have any idea why? I'm so disappointed!
Are both devices using the Same AppleID? That did the trick on my End.

Last edited:

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
I think that’s happened to me on Mojave, not sure if it’s new to Catalina.
This happened to me on Mojave as well. Ditto on my iOS devices (app asks for 2FA on iPhone, and I receive six digit 2FA code on same device). AFAIK this has been the behavior for over a year..... is it more insecure than having to open Duo and take the code from there? Hmm...

Reactions: Tapiture

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Here's a security issue. I have two-factor authentication on my Apple ID. Whenever I am asked to enter my Apple ID, whether it's an app like Apple Music or on Apple's website (pictured), it asks me to enter a six-digit code shown on my other Apple devices... except it shows it on this device. Not exactly secure... "Enter the password... also, here's the password!" Anyone else getting this?
This is the correct behavior. You're not trying to prevent access to the device, you're trying to prevent access to your Apple ID. If you've lost your device entirely, you have bigger problems.

cezar.cretzu

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2018
Anyone getting this? I hit continue nothing happens. sometimes it disappears and then it's back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 11.25.31.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 11.25.31.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 308

fdolbec123

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2018
Québec, Qc, Canada
Anyone notice that the dynamic wallpaper is broken?

On my computer, in dark mode, "catalina" stays at night (like if I had set it to fix but it's set to dynamic).

Tho, in light mode and automatic mode, everything is find...

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
My preview app has just become useless. It stops working if it’s full screen or if I’m using highlight

How does the fonts look on non-retina MacBook? As bad as in Mojave?

I noticed it became more light (in a font perspective)

Last edited by a moderator:

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I have run into the following crashes has anyone else have had this problem?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 5.21.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 5.21.45 PM.png
    543 KB · Views: 208

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Photos still doesn't handle exif/IPTC data correctly.

On import, title and description IPTC fields aren't used, and that info shows as blank/empty when looking at the photo info. Location, date and keywords are read ok.

On export, any change to location or date isn't written back to the photo's metadata. However, description and titles are, unless they weren't empty when imported.

I didn't do as much testing prior to getting Catalina (as I've only just started trying to use the Photos app in earnest) but I'm 95% sure importing loaded the title and description on Mojave.

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Public Beta 2 on Late 2016 Macbook Pro. The main issues still:

-Cannot update apps on the App store. Just throws an error or does a login loop: Once logged in I click the download button again and it asks for login again, repeat.
-Sidecart sees my iPad but throws an error when trying to connect
-Timemachine is stuck on "Preparing Backup" doesnt work.

Something minor:

I have my Applications folder in the dock. When i click it, i get a list of off my Applications. Scrolling through this list is super slow.

Developer Specific:

Native Instruments app "Native Access" runs fine initially, but seems to launch a 32bit app to find the install paths whenever you want to update a product. As 32bit is not supported its not possible to update anything. If you plan on using NI audio plugins on your Catalina install, I suggest updating your plugins before you go there.
[doublepost=1562192391][/doublepost]
Enable bluetooth on both devices first.

Reactions: ErikGrim

rumormiller

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
Public Beta 2 on Late 2016 Macbook Pro. The main issues still:

-Cannot update apps on the App store. Just throws an error or does a login loop: Once logged in I click the download button again and it asks for login again, repeat.
-Sidecart sees my iPad but throws an error when trying to connect
-Timemachine is stuck on "Preparing Backup" doesnt work.

Something minor:

I have my Applications folder in the dock. When i click it, i get a list of off my Applications. Scrolling through this list is super slow.

Developer Specific:

Native Instruments app "Native Access" runs fine initially, but seems to launch a 32bit app to find the install paths whenever you want to update a product. As 32bit is not supported its not possible to update anything. If you plan on using NI audio plugins on your Catalina install, I suggest updating your plugins before you go there.
[doublepost=1562192391][/doublepost]
Enable bluetooth on both devices first.

Fixing App Store Updates

Thanks to:
How to Fix 5 Common Mac App Store Problems and Issues

Quit the Mac App Store App and in terminal

open $TMPDIR../C/com.apple.appstore/

and delete the contents of the folder.

Go to folder

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore/

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstoreagent/

And delete the contents of the folders.

Open the Activity Monitor and set its view to All Processes. Type in store to search for App Store related processes, and force-quit all of these daemon processes:

• storeuid
  • Appstoreagent
  • storedownloadd: Handles downloads of apps found in the App Store.
  • storeinstalld: Covers app installation and their updates.
  • storeassetd: Handles all the resources and language files of the App Store.
  • storeaccountd: In charge of authentication, and acts as a bridge with your Apple ID account.

Do not open the App Store yet, because there’s one more step to fix this problem.

Go to Finder and press Cmd + Shift + G to open the Go to Folder box. Go to the following folder:

~/Library/Preferences

Here, delete the following files:

• com.apple.appstored.plist
  • com.apple.storeagent.plist
  • com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate.plist

Now go to

~/Library/Cookies

And delete this file:

• com.apple.appstore.binarycookies

Once you delete all the preference files, choose Apple Menu > Shut Down. Then press the power button to start your Mac again and the problem should be gone.

Doing this fixed stuck App Updates for me with Catalina.
[doublepost=1562193026][/doublepost]
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207022

Capturing this media
When using iOS 11 or later, the following devices can capture media in HEIF or HEVC format. Other devices can view, edit, or duplicate this media with limitations, if using iOS 11 or later or macOS High Sierra or later.

The iPad Pro has A9X chip. HEVC requires A10X or later.

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
I knew it. PB2 will be out lol I got a reply from Apple yesterday about the Apple Music bug I reported and they were asking if the latest update fixed the bug, I’m like “There’s no update yet?” lol

wylhkg

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2013
I did two time clean install from Web, then the system create two volume of disk.
I know this is snapshot of volume, but can I delete before snapshot of volume.
It is because so confusing to use on finder, it have four disk but only one disk can use.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-07-04 at 7.53.47 am.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-04 at 7.53.47 am.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 178
Reactions: arimatheiaotto

fdolbec123

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2018
Québec, Qc, Canada
I knew it. PB2 will be out lol I got a reply from Apple yesterday about the Apple Music bug I reported and they were asking if the latest update fixed the bug, I’m like “There’s no update yet?” lol

I did the update and on my computer Music app is stuck on "Charging music library" since the second launch of the app. The first time, none of my songs where load by Music, so I thought that relaunching the app would work but no.

By the way TV app as the same stuck behavior...
[doublepost=1562207728][/doublepost]
I have run into the following crashes has anyone else have had this problem?
How did you manage to get these info on your screenshot? It could be interesting to have those type of info when we submit report to Apple via the Evaluation Assistant...

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Fixing App Store Updates

Thanks to:
How to Fix 5 Common Mac App Store Problems and Issues

Quit the Mac App Store App and in terminal

open $TMPDIR../C/com.apple.appstore/

and delete the contents of the folder.

Go to folder

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore/

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstoreagent/

And delete the contents of the folders.

Open the Activity Monitor and set its view to All Processes. Type in store to search for App Store related processes, and force-quit all of these daemon processes:

• storeuid
  • Appstoreagent
  • storedownloadd: Handles downloads of apps found in the App Store.
  • storeinstalld: Covers app installation and their updates.
  • storeassetd: Handles all the resources and language files of the App Store.
  • storeaccountd: In charge of authentication, and acts as a bridge with your Apple ID account.

Do not open the App Store yet, because there’s one more step to fix this problem.

Go to Finder and press Cmd + Shift + G to open the Go to Folder box. Go to the following folder:

~/Library/Preferences

Here, delete the following files:

• com.apple.appstored.plist
  • com.apple.storeagent.plist
  • com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate.plist

Now go to

~/Library/Cookies

And delete this file:

• com.apple.appstore.binarycookies

Once you delete all the preference files, choose Apple Menu > Shut Down. Then press the power button to start your Mac again and the problem should be gone.

Doing this fixed stuck App Updates for me with Catalina.
[doublepost=1562193026][/doublepost]
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207022

Thanks for your help. I followed the steps, this does not solve the issue for me. Now none of my purchases are listed either. Seeming more like an account log in issue at the moment.

arimatheiaotto

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2016
Curitiba, Brazil
I am very confused. Why 2 Applications folders in two partitions and these 2 Macintosh HD - Data?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    975.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 2.png
    2.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 3.png
    3.png
    735.6 KB · Views: 283

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
PB2 MBP2016. Been unable to update anything in the App Store due to some sort of Login error. As part of troubleshooting I logged out of iCloud. Now I am unable to log back into iCloud. Throws an account error just like the App Store error I’m having.

That’s in addition to sidecart throwing an error / not connecting and timemachine permanently stuck on Preparing backup.

Sooo, I’ve done my part I think, filed bug reports and posted a few things on forums. Rolling back to a Mojave clone. Luck all.

Reactions: rumormiller
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.