Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

baribrent

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2017
(Sorry, my answer was incorrect. I have to take it back. Somewhere in this forum Dosdude1 has described the right procedure for uninstalling a patch.)
Did you ever figure out how to uninstall a patch? I moved my HDD to a newer, High Sierra-compatible machine, and would like to remove the patches. TIA!
[doublepost=1531319538][/doublepost]
I've actually been working on that, but it turned out to be a lot more involved than I had initially thought, so I focused on other things instead. It will be happening eventually, though.
Just wondering if this has been implemented? I moved my HDD with my High Sierra install from an incompatible machine to a newer, compatible one, and would like to remove the patches now that they are no longer needed.

Reactions: roronl

roronl

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2016
The Netherlands
Did you ever figure out how to uninstall a patch? I moved my HDD to a newer, High Sierra-compatible machine, and would like to remove the patches. TIA!
Just wondering if this has been implemented? I moved my HDD with my High Sierra install from an incompatible machine to a newer, compatible one, and would like to remove the patches now that they are no longer needed.
No, I did not figured out how to uninstall the patch. I use my old HDD today as an extra storage now. Working on a new SSD. Maybe dosdue1 can help you. :)

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
I have a script that will remove all patches.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
I see that the update showing in the App Store consists of iTunes 12.8 and 10.13.6. Would it make sense to update iTunes from the App Store while waiting for the 10.13.6 stand alone updater to become available?

Cisto1983

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2015
Italy
The update seems stuck on my iMac 9,1. At first the system restarted and installed the iTunes update, separately for some reason, then after the 2nd restart it began installing the 13.6 update.

When it got down to three minutes left, it said “restarting” which I thought meant restarting the system, but it just restarted the update process in the same window, and it’s been stuck like that for about half an hour, just says “installing software update”.

Gonna leave it and check back in a bit to and see if it does anything.

My iMac 9,1 (with a GT120 card) updated without any issue; it took 20 minutes to do it. It showed the 3 minutes left for 5 minutes or so.
On a side note, my supported MacBook Pro (2016) took 45 minutes to update and it also turned off in the process without any reason. lol.

BartmanEH

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2017
[...]used the Automation option in Onyx, rebooted and life is good!
Why wouldn't you use the post-install patch tool as designed? I don't think a standard Mac tool like Onyx would fix things in the same way as Dosdudes' tool which is designed specifically for our unsupported Macs :confused:
[doublepost=1531342015][/doublepost]
I have not tried the post-install tool to fix the issues yet
Have you tried the post-install patch tool? It worked for me to fix the blank web pages, MAS and emails

DesPins

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2018
Is it the most recent High Sierra 10.13.6 full installer version that is downloaded through macOS High Sierra Patcher?
I want to be sure before dowloading a 5 gig file.
Thanks.

luism

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2005
I have a script that will remove all patches.
Hi
1. Is there any way to downgrade to let say, El Capitan? Do I just install on top of the patched machine.
2. I'm trying to change the file system to AFPS but I'm unable to boot into recovery mode. (freshly installed SSD, carbon copied)
3. Enable TRIM doesn't seem to make the machine more responsive, any sugestions?

I just try to read all I could in this thread but is 156 pages long already.

Reactions: Tesseract

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
The current High Sierra Patcher is able to download the 10.13.6 full installer despite it not being listed on the App Store High Sierra page yet. The downloaded copy is 13.6.2 and installs 10.13.6 (17G65) which patches cleanly with High Sierra Patcher 2.6.2.

Regarding applying future security patches for High Sierra, does anyone know if Apple recreates the last full installer for a release with the current security patches applied? It would be great if that were the case.

Reactions: roronl

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
MBP 4,1 from 10.13.5 to 10.13.6 - ran the post install after encountering the blank browser screens issue - no dice - same result.

I'll try doing a fresh install.

Edit: Scratch that. It's a user profile problem. Logged into a user account I had created and it's fine. Going to nuke my current profile and recreate it.

Last edited:

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
MBP 4,1 from 10.13.5 to 10.13.6 - ran the post install after encountering the blank browser screens issue - no dice - same result.

I'll try doing a fresh install.

Edit: Scratch that. It's a user profile problem. Logged into a user account I had created and it's fine. Going to nuke my current profile and recreate it.

Before doing that, download Onyx and run the automation scripts. That *should* fix your problem.
[doublepost=1531367656][/doublepost]
Why wouldn't you use the post-install patch tool as designed? I don't think a standard Mac tool like Onyx would fix things in the same way as Dosdudes' tool which is designed specifically for our unsupported Macs :confused:

It has in the past, and others have reported it working this time around for the same issues as well...

DesPins

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2018
The current High Sierra Patcher is able to download the 10.13.6 full installer despite it not being listed on the App Store High Sierra page yet. The downloaded copy is 13.6.2 and installs 10.13.6 (17G65) which patches cleanly with High Sierra Patcher 2.6.2.

Regarding applying future security patches for High Sierra, does anyone know if Apple recreates the last full installer for a release with the current security patches applied? It would be great if that were the case.

Ok thanks, I will download and make a full install over 10.13.5. I've found it's the less troublesome way to upgrade.

slimmy18222

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2017
Italy
The brightness and volume issues have been fixed with that machine. And no, the APFS patch should work with encrypted volumes too. If you want FULL, native APFS support, you can apply a bootROM patch using my tool found here. Keep in mind, though, that this is done AT YOUR OWN RISK. There is a small chance that your machine could become bricked as a result of this, as with any firmware modification.

Dude thanks for the awesome work, really. Anyway, i could not get the brightness working in my late 2008 MacBook pro 15''. If i don't apply the patch key's are just unresponsive and no sliding bar in System preferences. After apply i got the key's working but no brightness adjustment and no sleep function. I tried out several previously Sierra and High Sierra kext with no lucky. Maybe the problem as someone suggest, there is a chance that the problem is caused by NightShift? How i can remove this patch? I cannot choose to instal or not during whole installing procedure. Thank you Sir.

I found that 'Night Shift patch' on my MacBook Pro 5,2 mid 2009 disabled brightness control and in fact I get the same result as you ie faint screen and needed to reboot every time my laptop went into standby/sleep. I resolved this issue by reinstalling 10.13.4 beta software using DosDude's patch, but not installing Night Shift and my MBP 5,2 work really well...no issues and the laptop wakes up instantly.....try this approach. I think the Night Shift patch needs updating!

birdieman128

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2016
It looks like the App Store still have 10.13.5 full download version and not 10.13.6, can anyone confirm this?

Okay just checked again this evening, the App Store now has the full 10.13.6 available for download.

Last edited:

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
[doublepost=1531342015][/doublepost]
Have you tried the post-install patch tool? It worked for me to fix the blank web pages, MAS and emails

I used OnyX because:

1. it works
  2. the post install patch tool doesn't fix this
  3. has been suggested by @dosdue1 to fix this issue

Reactions: BartmanEH

DesPins

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2018
Updated with full install High Sierra 10.13.6 over 10.13.5 with dosdude1 macOS High Sierra Patcher without a hitch.
Recovery partition 10.13.6 is there and everything works normally on my Mac Pro 3,1 with an ATI Radeon HD 5770.
Again, a tip of the hat goes to dosdude1 for his fantastic work.

BartmanEH

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2017
Update to 13.6 mostly worked for me but aborted with failing to update recovery partition. Is there a simple way I can create/update the recovery partition? I’d like to have a working Recovery partition.

cecil444

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
NY
I've got 10.13.5 running on a MacBook5,1 and everything is wonderfully smooth. (Thanks dosdude!)

I've only noticed one small bug so far, and am wondering if anyone else is experiencing it:

The American voices I hear for Siri are the old ones, not the new and updated natural-sounding ones touted in the High Sierra release. If I switch it to another voice (eg. the male or female British voice) I do succeed in getting the new, natural-sounding versions of those, but switching back to the American voices they revert to the older, halting voices that Sierra had.

Has anyone noticed this or succeeded in getting the improved versions of the American voices?

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I've missed it, or whether I'm losing the plot, but is the 10.13.6 full installer available for download yet, other than via @dosdude1's HS Patcher?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.