Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robd003

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
Does macOS 12.1 resolve the 100% CPU usage issue with WindowServer if you watch any full screen videos using Chrome / Firefox on a ProMotion display?

WindowServer will get stuck in some kind of loop using 100% CPU and the only way to resolve it is by restarting the computer.

Reactions: BWhaler

lazyntired

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2016
Wisconsin
Makes more sense to me to just wait for a more mature version to update rather than updating immediately and then making a huge deal about inevitable day 1 bugs in the first release that are bound to quickly be fixed. Yes Apple could and should do better but macOS is one of the largest and most complex pieces of software ever created and was developed when everyone was working from home due to a global pandemic.
Apple needs to focus more on bugs and issues or put more focus on their software. It’s so biggy nowadays. They keep on releasing new products and new technologies. If they don’t fix their software people might hesitate to upgrade or keep buying from them.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Apple needs to focus more on bugs and issues or put more focus on their software. It’s so biggy nowadays. They keep on releasing new products and new technologies. If they don’t fix their software people might hesitate to upgrade or keep buying from them.
I agree with you that I think they should focus on bugs and polishing their software over adding more features. But I don't think it's that bad for bugs, given the complexity and interconnectedness of Apple's devices. I find far more issues with Windows.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I am unfamiliar. Does macOS handle HDR content correctly, only enabling HDR when HDR content is played full screen, or does it leave the washed-out colors on all the time unless you completely disable it?

macOS Montery can handle HDR content.

However that's just the system OS.
Content from the source local file or streaming must be provided by the service provider. If that code in the medium (stream) or the source app that is displaying the source (Chrome/Safari/etc) is displaying HDR content correctly, and the OS is not 'getting it' that's what needed to be fixed I guess.

PS: How is tap-to-click a something "Major" or a major bug?
even with accessibility constraints/restrictions one could just click, right? (well those with MS may not be able to- thinking while typing).

metapunk2077fail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2021
I am unfamiliar. Does macOS handle HDR content correctly, only enabling HDR when HDR content is played full screen, or does it leave the washed-out colors on all the time unless you completely disable it?

The washed out interface thing is a Windows thing. macOS has been able to display HDR since High Sierra. It's even better in Monterey now and with XDR displays.

Reactions: haruhiko

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
Never saw this issue that some encountered, but Google still hasn't enabled HDR, you have to use dev menu- user agent to Microsoft Edge, or Chroma - Windows to run HDR YouTube, rather then the current SDR limitation on a 16" M1 Max MBP. Running RC on two M1 Macs.
How do u mean google didn't enable HDR.
It's there on chrome

Kramerjn

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2016
Wisconsin
I was having an issue with trackpad where switching between spaces would bounce the screen back to the first space in Mission Control. That seems to be fixed with the RC!

Reactions: MLVC

bbs008

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2020
120hz works in safari. Not perfect but xcode shows it at around 110 fps when scrolling

apple_tap_to_click_sucks

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2021
Just updated. I can confirm that:

1. Tap to click by itself is working, same as beta 4.
2. 3/4 finger swipe to switch desktop is working. Haven't seen the bug behavior in the first 5 mins at all so thinking it's fixed.
3. HOWEVER, `cmd + tap` is NOT fixed on the 14" MBP. Having to tap 3 times, just as before, to get it to work.

This modifier key + tap issue hasn't been resolved on the 14" for well over a month now, and it's become really frustrating. I can't use tap to click if it isn't going to be reliable on one of my most frequent use-cases such as opening links in the background (something most of us hundreds of times/day)

If you are facing the same problem on your 14" MBP, please report it via the Feedback Assistant so they'll pay attention to it. We all paid upwards of $2K for this device, we should not have to put up with this for months.

Last edited:

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Does it fix the sound issue, the one with the loud clicking at the beginning or end of playing audio that was fixed a while ago and then broke again? Or was that already fixed in 12.0?

Reactions: BWhaler

hrMACnstuff

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
regarding all these issues being asked about? when the elite answer to nobody this is what you get.

• Wow
Reactions: eas

Alex.Roams

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2018
On my new 14-inch MacBook Pro, I have an issue where Mission Control stops working and I need to restart it via Terminal. Has this happened to anyone else?

dadiy

macrumors regular
May 27, 2010
But when will they fix the duplicate entries when connecting to a vpn. It’s been years since that appeared.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.