Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… expecting …

I expect no more than one cog on screen.

If I had an iPhone I might never see more than one.

On a desktop computer (not necessarily a Mac) there may be multiple apps on screen, each of which has (and shows) a cog of its own. Too many cooks cogs spoil the broth.

Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 09.01.04.png

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Sometimes when I navigate a thread, it jumps down to a particular post after scrolling through for lack of a better description.

I think it is when images are loading on the page and it pushes the replies down but I can't be sure in terms of pin pointing it. Has anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: grahamperrin

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Sometimes when I navigate a thread, it jumps down to a particular post after scrolling through for lack of a better description.

I think it is when images are loading on the page and it pushes the replies down but I can't be sure in terms of pin pointing it. Has anyone else experienced this?
I've experienced this as well. I think it is a case of the post "grid" loading in the page and then certain posts are lengthened as the pictures complete their loading. We wouldn't see this happening if the page were to load with exact picture size information for each post, but then we would see large blocks of blank area in certain posts, that contain large pictures are several pictures, prior to the completion of loading all of the pics. I don't think there is a feasible method to overcome this.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I've experienced this as well. I think it is a case of the post "grid" loading in the page and then certain posts are lengthened as the pictures complete their loading. We wouldn't see this happening if the page were to load with exact picture size information for each post, but then we would see large blocks of blank area in certain posts, that contain large pictures are several pictures, prior to the completion of loading all of the pics. I don't think there is a feasible method to overcome this.

Thanks for the confirmation. It's not terrible, but my brain likes to find reasoning for things.

Sometimes too, when I am scrolling back to the top of the page, the page becomes "offset" and there is a visible white bar separating the top of the page and where the blue fade and "MacRumors" logo begins. This makes the links (such as Forums > Community > Site and Forum Feedback in this case) not clickable because it thinks its location is somewhere else due to this supposed "offsetting." Scrolling back down and up again returns the layout to normal.

Sorry if that is ridiculous to read - I'm pretty terrible at explaining things. ;)

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Focal points and CSS scroll snapping

https://developer.apple.com/library....html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40014305-CH9-SW21
Safari’s WebKit now provides CSS scroll snapping to keep the focal point of your content in view when scrolling momentum stops. …

Will MacRumors Forums support that approach to focal points?

It's too early to say whether that WebKit will allow Safari 9 to support that snapping on Mavericks but still, I'm interested.

Focal points

One of two, the bottom of a page:

focal point.png

Can any effect of a red arrow be classed as scrolling momentum (in the context of CSS scroll snapping)?

Related

Is there a way to turn off that red up and down arrow that flashes on screen

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Thanks for the confirmation. It's not terrible, but my brain likes to find reasoning for things.

Sometimes too, when I am scrolling back to the top of the page, the page becomes "offset" and there is a visible white bar separating the top of the page and where the blue fade and "MacRumors" logo begins. This makes the links (such as Forums > Community > Site and Forum Feedback in this case) not clickable because it thinks its location is somewhere else due to this supposed "offsetting." Scrolling back down and up again returns the layout to normal.

Sorry if that is ridiculous to read - I'm pretty terrible at explaining things. ;)
I understood it perfectly, but that sounds like a browser bug to me. Does it happen anywhere besides this site?

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
when you came into a topic there used to be a reply button at the top. Now I have to scroll right down to the bottom of the screen. Sucks. Sucks big!

Yes.

There should at least be a shortcut at the end of the article that takes you to the Reply box, rather than having to scroll to the bottom of the page then back up to where the reply box is.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The site is not that complicated and does not take long to learn what's associated with ambiguous icons. ;) I do know that a cog equals tools or settings. It's just that in this case thread edit tools should be in the thread edit section, but I can live with it as is. :):)

Availability of tools should be welcomed.

There’s an underlying problem – the combination of these two things:
  1. use of ambiguous icons
  2. lack of plain english.
If people who have the experience of @Gwendolini can not tell what’s implied by a cog, then imagine how ambiguous icons will be ignored, overlooked or misinterpreted by newcomers to the site.

I will point out that in this case, experience can work against someone by expecting the features to be under "Edit" like on vB, while a newcomer wouldn't have that expectation.

Last edited:
Reactions: redheeler

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The site is not that complicated and does not take long to learn what's associated with ambiguous icons. ;) I do know that a cog equals tools or settings. It's just that in this case thread edit tools should be in the thread edit section, but I can live with it as is. :):)
I think the new location for "Thread Tools" is fine, but it certainly does take some getting used to for experienced members. ;)

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Thanks @Gwendolini for the reminder.

Now, if I understand correctly:
  • XenForo differentiates between (a) the topic/thread and (b) all posts therein, including the opening post
  • all posts, including the opening post, are untitled.
After using vBulletin, it's somewhat unexpected to find:
  • the interfaces to edit a post without an option to edit its title
… but it makes sense.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I understood it perfectly, but that sounds like a browser bug to me. Does it happen anywhere besides this site?

Just MacRumors I've noticed. It doesn't occur on other websites. I use Chrome.

As far as I recall (without hunting for an example): yes.

For at least one popular browser there may be a workaround. Please bear with me whilst I relocate part of a guide …

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1898007/

I didn't know you could quote my post into a new thread and it would alert me. You sir, are creepy in a helpful way. :cool:

That is too be taken lightly of course. :p Thanks for all of your help.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
@Dark Void thanks. Notification of a quote work as expected wherever the quote is made. It's a useful combination of features, enjoyed both before and after the migration to XenForo.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
@Dark Void thanks. Notification of a quote work as expected wherever the quote is made. It's a useful combination of features, enjoyed both before and after the migration to XenForo.

Lol, was scrolling through my notifications and said to myself "I didn't post in that thread..." Convinced myself I was drugged. Sleepwalking MacRumors posting.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
I miss the old forums layout. Much easier to navigate than this thing. Sometimes fancy is not a good thing.

It took me a while just to find THIS thread…let alone the actual appropriate sections to post into…like "Site and Forum Feedback.":(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.