Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Quick question, what is the default text on the forum?

For example, If I were to type in Georgia font like this, how can I change it back to the original? Is there a way to cut it or highlight it and change it back to the default? From what I can tell, the default is different from all of those listed in the offered fonts after typing with them.

Thanks.

Reactions: grahamperrin

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Quick question, what is the default text on the forum?

For example, If I were to type in Georgia font like this, how can I change it back to the original? Is there a way to cut it or highlight it and change it back to the default? From what I can tell, the default is different from all of those listed in the offered fonts after typing with them.

Thanks.
You can change back to the default font by highlighting the desired text and clicking the eraser button (next to the wrench at the right) to remove all formatting - as I have done with your quoted text.

Reactions: Dark Void

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
How do you mean? I was saying that I didn't notice a font in the stock fonts offered that is identical to this default one. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I tested them all.
Well, it stands to reason that the default font wouldn't be in that list, the purpose of those fonts are to switch from the default font. If you want to restore a portion of text to the default font you simply remove formatting. Just my opinion, though.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Well, it stands to reason that the default font wouldn't be in that list, the purpose of those fonts are to switch from the default font. If you want to restore a portion of text to the default font you simply remove formatting. Just my opinion, though.

Fair enough for sure. I wasn't suggesting it should or shouldn't be, but I couldn't figure out how to revert it and didn't even notice that eraser on the side there. It looks like a Good & Plenty or whatever that candy is called.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
@HUGE AL the quick navigation menu is presentable not only as a menu; it's presentable as a page. Try either/both of these:
– each page presents the phrase Quick Navigation Menu but that's not clickable. It's simply a large heading at the top of a long page that lists pretty much everything (any and every starting point that you might need on an everyday basis).

Appreciate the assist. But how am I supposed to navigate to that menu? Just finding where to click to see your reply was tedious. Like I said, the old site was MUCH easier and SIMPLE to navigate. This one looks better and is fancier, but a real pain.

Edit: Even posting a reply took an edit because the site is trying to be too fancy.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
USER markup can not be shown until after a post

Maybe a limitation of XenForo.

Before a post, I can preview and then use the BBCode editor, but that editor does not show the [USER]…[/USER] markup.

For that markup to appear in the BBCode editor, it's necessary to post and then edit.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Edit, edit and edit: distances between the user interfaces

Continued from Editions under https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/21551821 (a few days ago). And from earlier today:

… edit the … The icon for that type of edit is near a far corner, diagonally opposite (not near) the EDIT button …

Consider the distance between two edit interfaces for what the end user may think of as a single item:
2015-07-09 22-14-57 screenshot.png

Sometimes, the distance between three edit interfaces:
2015-07-09 22-14-54 screenshot.png

Consider the distance between the EDIT button (or the TOOLS button, which can becomes a menu with an option to edit) and the date that appears after edition:
2015-07-11 09-46-32 screenshot.png

Instead

Imagine all three edit options in a single place, with plain english:

2015-07-09 22-14-54 mock up 01.png

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Reactions: grahamperrin

ithinkwithportals

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2015
Somewhere in the USA
Has something happened with the avatar system? Because on multiple devices, I am not seeing any avatars next to any username, just the standard unavailable image graphic that shows up when a picture is no longer available. What's going on?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… when I click on a username listed under "Top Comments" in a news article, it does not take me to …

Logically, for consistency, I expect a click on a person's name to present that person's profile. I had that expectation long before migration to XenForo.

It will be logical for the required post to be linked from the timestamp of the post … but if wishes for tradition override a wish for logic, I'll understand.

In any case I agree that it's not good to have links not working as expected beneath front page articles, so I'll stick my neck out and address … @Kyler Carlson may be an appropriate addressee in this case.

The URL format may be a hangover from vBulletin.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
What did you have trouble with?

Quoting and replying used to be so much easier to see. I had trouble quoting in the reply above because the quote had quotes within a quote.

Also, for this reply, I clicked the "quote multiple responses" button, but the "post a reply" button on the bottom left is gone now. I had to "insert quoted ______" (blank there because also cannot scroll down on this page to see what was written as we used to), then approve abstracts (which were basically MY responses) of the replies, then click "more options." Can this BE any more tedious?

Maybe a Control-Click on something obscure.

If I recall correctly, the link was given to me by someone else in MacRumors Forums.

Whatever the origin, a few weeks ago I created a short URL that some readers – people who liked the MRF jump feature of the past – may find memorable:

http://tinyurl.com/mrf-jumplike-01

I agree. Now we are supposed to resort to bookmarking a link to a page that used to have it's own link on the top??? o_O

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I noticed something else yesterday and today - thought I'd bring it up if it hasn't been mentioned. If you notice posts on a thread, the actual distance between each reply is about a half of a centimeter, but sometimes when you reply the distance between your own reply and the previous (yours being the last reply) is a couple of inches until reloading the page.

Doesn't really matter of course but I'm a pretty particular person and like to post what I observe. :)

EDIT: Noticed as well that this occurs if someone posts as you are in the middle of replying. When "Messages have recently been posted in this thread. View them?" is listed, if you select it, their reply shows the same gap in between.

Again, not an issue at all, just something I've noticed. Not sure if it is intended or not. I would assume not because I don't recall it happening every single time.

EDIT2: That same larger gap is present at the bottom of every thread and it separates the last post on the page and the listing of pages, in this case "Page 44 of 44 [1] - [39][40][41][42][43][44]."

EDIT3: So, it appears to be only on threads with multiple pages. One page threads do not have this spacing issue. Look at me ... formulating things.

Last edited:

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
whats with the weird quoting. Forum puts quotes in places it shouldn't and deleting them doesn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.