Macworld 2012: Autodesk Inventor Fusion for Mac Coming

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Autodesk was at Macworld showing off a new product for the Mac called Autodesk Inventor Fusion. Autodesk Inventor Fusion is an existing 3D mechanical design software on Windows, but will soon become available for the Mac for the first time.

Autodesk made headlines back in 2010 when they returned to the Mac platform after a two decade hiatus. Due to the success they've seen with their existing Mac products, the company will be bringing Inventor Fusion to the Mac.

In the next few weeks, Autodesk will be releasing a free Technology Preview for the program which will allow Mac users to download an early version and provide feedback. The final release will come at some point later. Inventor Fusion is meant to be an easier to use tool focused on mechanical design which incorporates physical properties of objects.
Autodesk® Inventor® Fusion is 3D modeling software that showcases intuitive direct manipulation capabilities for unrivaled ease of use. By uniting direct modeling and parametric workflows, Inventor Fusion offers the best of both worlds. Designers can freely explore complex shapes and forms while maintaining the underlying parametric history. Inventor Fusion makes it easy to open and edit 3D models from almost any source and incorporate them into your design, enabling rapid design changes without limitations.
The software will include seamless cloud access for storage, collaboration and web viewing. Autodesk has a Facebook page set up for Inventor Fusion and will be announcing the Mac download in the near future.

Article Link: Macworld 2012: Autodesk Inventor Fusion for Mac Coming

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
a sign...

Is it a sign that Apple is sticking with the Mac Pro?
Would have loved to move our Maya licenses to Apple but waiting on new updates.
Not holding my breath :p

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
But will they sell it in the MAS? I know it's not a big deal, but hopefully they'll offer a cheaper version in the MAS [like they did with AutoCAD LT] so that individuals - like me - who just want to play with it without paying thousands can do so.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
But will they sell it in the MAS? I know it's not a big deal, but hopefully they'll offer a cheaper version in the MAS [like they did with AutoCAD LT] so that individuals - like me - who just want to play with it without paying thousands can do so.
at least for a limited time, you'll be able to play with the Tech Preview for free.

arn

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Depends on price. MAS currently has ceiling of $999. Not sure how much this costs.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
AFAIK the only thing missing from Google Sketchup is the ability to have pivot points when attaching objects together. Of course it's not in the same league as Autodesk but for things like personal projects, Sketchup is hard to beat especially with its price tag of free.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
hummm i wounder if this will force other CAD software like Solidworks or Siemens NX to consider the Mac platform so that Autodesk does not end up having total monopoly.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68030
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
This is the first thing Autodesk has done that has made me happy in about 20 years. And I'm so freakin happy about this it might make up for the other 20 years. As long as we can actually create even basic files, sketches, constraints, and assemblies, I will split a freakin gourd.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

If its anything like AutoCAD....well, we're still waiting for the capabilities 2010 had in windows.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
this would be great news, if anyone actually used Inventor... hardly anyone does outside of universities, and universities only use it because of cheap licensing (so I'm told).

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Solid works on the Mac would be very nice indeed.

hummm i wounder if this will force other CAD software like Solidworks or Siemens NX to consider the Mac platform so that Autodesk does not end up having total monopoly.
As far as 2D ( CAD as opposed to solid modeling) I'm a bit frustrated with the high cost of AutoCAD which at this point is legacy software. AutoCAD has been riding that gravy train to long.

kellings

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
Inventor Fusion for the Mac will be a Technology Preview. This product is free. It will be a test bed for things that Autodesk wants to try with 3D cad. Currently, the shipping stable version of Inventor Fusion will be PC only.

There really is no comparison between Inventor Fusion and Google Sketchup. It is like saying that an Impala and a Corvette are similar. They are both cars, but very different cars in capabilities.

If you have an interest in 3D cad, give this a try when it is finally released (very soon). You will be able to do many more advanced things than what you would expect.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Where's the normal Inventor Professional for Mac? That's what I want. This appears to be something different for windows and Mac.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Now lets see Catia, PTC product line formerly Pro/Engineer [now Creo] and other Windows only products. I'll know then that the traditional Engineering markets are finally serious about making money in the most profitable markets the industry has been moving towards--the embedded spaces.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Autodesk "gets" the Mac; SW still waiting on a cloud

I'm running all of my MCAD stuff on an older PC, and looking at a refurb HP Z800 for the near term until the next Mac Pro comes out. I already have a copy of Inventor Fusion that I received with Autodesk Simulation CFD but I haven't really had much use for it over SW.

Still, this is all movement in the right direction, and with Autodesk's purchase of T-Splines, organic design really will be significantly better with the Autodesk family of products than SW.

Kudos to Autodesk. More please.