Magic Mouse Battery Life

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kristoffers4, Nov 12, 2009.

1. kristoffers4 macrumors member

kristoffers4

Hi,

I've just bought a new iMac two weeks ago and I have nothing bad to say about it except the battery life of the Magic Mouse. When I installed the mouse it was at 100% and the wireless keyboard was also fully charged. Now two weeks later the keyboard is still at 100% but the mouse is at 58% now. Is it normal? Do I really have to change the batteries every 4 weeks? Apple promised a battery life of 4 months. Does anyone else have this issue?

Thank you!

2. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

My Magic Mouse is almost a week old and reads 95% battery life.

The Magic Mouse is supposed to go to sleep pretty quickly in order to conserve battery power.

Maybe it's the surface you're leaving it on. Something glossy might keep it from going asleep.
    Are you leaving it on a mouse pad or a shiny desktop?

This sounds like something to keep an eye on.

Have Fun,
    Keri

3. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

2 weeks of regular use and I'm at 68% using the batteries that came with it.

Just buy 4 AA NiMH rechargeables and a charger for $15'ish... they last longer on a charge than disposables and quickly start saving you money.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

5. maclook macrumors 65816

6. kristoffers4 thread starter macrumors member

kristoffers4

I always use the mouse on a mouse pad so that won't be the problem. I just find it quite weird. Don't like that very much. If this problem will stay I think it would be a good idea to buy rechargeable batteries. But Apple promised that the battery life would be 4 months and I expect that to be true. I'm disappointed...
    And I don't think there will ever be a wired magic mouse...

7. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

Ditto.

Rich :cool:

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

if apple promised you a 4 month battery life, then you should contact them at have them send out you batteries, hehe :D

9. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

I'm not disappointed at all - I was shocked when the mouse arrived with the batteries already installed! Most other suppliers would not include them in the first place.:D

Rich :cool:

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Two weeks today and down to 68%.

edit: Nov 22nd. Three weeks and 2 days use - 62%. Daily use, at least 4 hrs per. One thing I noticed - although I leave it on normally, I turned it off one day when I was out for the day. When I turned it back on, the percentage increased a few points. For those who have low battery indication, it might be worth a try to cycle the power on it.

11. RobMoss macrumors regular

Surely a rechargeable mouse that can be unplugged at the mouse end when charged is a no-brainer..?

12. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

same here. i used to like wireless, but i hate wasting time when the connection occasionally needs to be reestablished.

13. GreatOwl macrumors newbie

GreatOwl

I am one week in to use and the mouse is at 68%, but the keyboard is at 31%

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont get the point of wireless really....i mean i hate dealing with batteries and the computer is right there to plug into....

all wireless devices should be like ps3 controllers in that they can be used wireless or plugged in, whatever you like

15. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I'm waiting to get my Magic Mouse tomorrow. In my experience the batteries always go quickly. Someone mentioned why do we need wireless?....because we can. It looks so much cleaner with a desk without wires. With Apple products being so clean and sleek looking, I wanted nothing more than to bring in wireless keyboard and mouse when I picked up my iMac.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i know what you mean. would be nice if they had a usb port you could connect to your comp with and charge to if you wanted

17. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I hate wired mice, however my cat loves them, hence my hate of wired mice.

What I don't understand is why Green Apple didn't build in a rechargeable battery and include a dock (they could have made the dock look like a yurt or a geodesic dome)... oh wait, I know why... because they couldn't figure out how to make a wireless dock for a wireless mouse :p

18. GreatOwl macrumors newbie

GreatOwl

I do wish there was a way of plugging in to just recharge. However, in my case the wireless helps me out a great deal. i am recovering from surgery and can't always sit next to the computer screen. It does allow me to back off and sit in a recliner and work at the computer. Besides, I have enough wires running all over. I will change over to rechargeable batteries when the regular ones run out. I already have several and a charger so there is no additional expense.

19. matt550 macrumors 6502

are you guys leaving your mouse on all time? or turning it off when done using the computer?

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

21. iPhilPHX macrumors regular

iPhilPHX

1 week today and original batteries are at 80%. I leave it on and put the computer to sleep.

22. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

Um, there is the fact that it saves a USB port?? ;)

23. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I've been turning it off at night with the Mac asleep. At 92% since the 1st when I bought it (but, I have been in Windows a bit and using a different mouse there).

24. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

This is what I use to keep my cat off the wires. Works very well.

25. rkb37 macrumors newbie

I've been using my Magic Mouse for 3 weeks now and I just got the low battery warning (mouse now at 18%) and the keyboard at 62%. I haven't been turning off the mouse with the switch at night because I assumed it went to sleep after a period of inactivity, or with the computer. The computer is usually on and being used between 10-12 hours a day. But, I was hoping for at least 2-3 months, if not the 4 months claimed. Looks like it's time to find some good rechargeable batteries.