MagicWand Physically Connects Your Keyboard and Magic Trackpad

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 16, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A new product called Magic Wand from TwelveSouth allows Mac users to connect their Apple Wireless Keyboard to the Magic Trackpad into a single unit.
    The accessory lets you carry around your keyboard and Magic Trackpad as a single unit. A video shows it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAO028qBLXo

The video shows how you attach your devices to it, and it can be used in a left or right handed configuration. Magic Wand costs $29.99.

Article Link: MagicWand Physically Connects Your Keyboard and Magic Trackpad

2. firsttube macrumors regular

firsttube

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sounds like a lot of people will be snatching these up.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I think the title TwelveSouth would've loved is:

4. Danekero macrumors member

I assume it doesn't work with the extended keyboard? :(

Oh well, maybe they'll be reading this comment.

5. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I don't know anyone who has actually used or owns a magic trackpad. As a matter of fact I actually forget they exist from time to time. Are these things actually popular now?

Yeah, the price is pretty high for a simple piece of metal/plastic, but that's what you get after figuring in the Apple Tax. I keep hoping that the Apple Tax will decline with the new-found popularity of the platform, but that seems to be only mildly the case.

It looks like it snaps onto the round base that they both share. I have the extended keyboard, which is wired, and this seems more useful for people who carry it around the house or something. The extended keyboard also has an odd squared off base that probably wouldn't fit both devices. I suppose they could make one side that fits the keyboard, and one side for the trackpad, but then it wouldn't be lefty/righty switchable like this is. I think most new macs are shipping with the wireless keyboard, so they probably went for the highest market first. But maybe they will add it later on.

As for me, I want that patented iMac that folds down at an angle so that I can use it's touchscreen surface. So I'll just hold out for now!

6. darbus69 macrumors regular

darbus69

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

guess I must buy a magic trackpad now...
    ; ~ )...

7. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Well done to the designers of this product. Though I am very surprised that apple haven't released an all in one unit.

8. Lordedmond macrumors regular

how do you turn the keyboard off with the trackpad attached or if on the left side replace the batteries

I asume rip it apart :eek:

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

10. WilliamG macrumors G3

Me too. Debated for about 2.3 seconds, and bought it. :D

11. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

OMG... this is really really really really really really... amazing.

/sarcasm.

Seriously, what a waste of design time.

12. mac&cheesey macrumors 6502

Ordered

Same here. This will fit in nicely with the MacMini home theatre set-up.

m&c

13. Ironduke Suspended

Ironduke

all apple need to do now is replace the batteries with built in ones that can be usb charged

14. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

man, you're pretty awesome.

i'm assuming that's the reaction you wanted from your post, right? :rolleyes:

15. MacFly123, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011

MacFly123 macrumors 68020

So does this make the click feet on the Magic TrackPad not work very well? :confused: Seems like it could cause issues, and I HATE tap to click!

16. jowie macrumors 6502a

The extended keyboard has a completely different shape on the underside, so no I doubt it would work on it.

Why would you find this useful with the extended keyboard? I'd assume the whole point of this was for wireless keyboard and trackpad usage.

17. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

This will be great for the Mac Mini in the living room. Using a mouse is so awkward on the couch, this will be perfect. Although for me it will cost $100 since i haven't picked up a trackpad yet.

Would love an apple built all in one better.

18. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

No... actually I want an honest response on how redundant this item is. There's no need for it, it's just money out the window, it's not going to make the trackpad more functional.
    So there's two sides to this:

1. Apple failed during the design of the trackpad
    or
    2. People are actually that stupid that they can see a point in this.

19. fifthworld macrumors 6502

LOL. You totally missed the design point of this item. It's not about functionality it's about convenience.

20. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I think this is cool, you can just grab the entire thing and use the computer while standing, without having to hold two things at the same time.

I just don't quite understand why it requires those spacers between the two devices, does that somehow help hold it in place, or can the two not be touching each other for some reason?

21. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

Might as well tape them together, it would look just as ugly as this $30 piece of plastic stuck in the middle.

22. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I've had one since shortly after they came out. I now find mice awkward to use. The Magic Trackpad is one of the best input devices Apple has ever made.

As for the MagicWand, I guess it would be good for people who want to carry the keyboard and trackpad around the house with them a lot. My setup stays at my desk. Also, I find myself re-positioning the keyboard and trackpad depending on what task I'm doing. So the MagicWand isn't for me.

As to the comment about turning off the keyboard and trackpad -- I never do, and the batteries have been lasting about six months.

23. KindredMAC macrumors 6502a

KindredMAC

24. ciTiger macrumors 6502a

ciTiger

That should come free with every Magic Trackpad...