Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ryankidd17

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
Thank you. Where can I buy something like this? The whole scosche kit? (Plate and magnet)
Sorry for the late response.
Don’t know if I can’t post links here. But if you search Scosche MPDB MagicMount Pro, you’ll find the full kit.
there are other magic mount designs than what I use. I like the small form factor to fit below my center unit. But there are other designs. You can find it cheapest on Amazon. Target also carries them in store and online.

Pspressart

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
So I have been reading this entire thread and I can't seem to find a solution and it is highly frustrating...
so there are two main issues here:
1. people who want to use the magsafe puck to charge their phone in the car - this is perfectly understandable and there are numerous solutions for this - and I can't for the life of me see why this needs discussing - its simple and available (and really not the point of this thread).
2. people (myself included) that want to use CARPLAY and since vast majority (if not all) of the cars that are on the roads now have ONLY wired carplay the whole magsafe puck approach is a debacle - i don't want to have two sets of wires I need only one - the CARPLAY lightning2USB wire connection charges and connects and all I need is simple mount - and aside from belkin vent mount there is NOTHING...

i generally abhor vent mounts because they not only make one vent blocked and inoperable but they also very flimsy and always break...
Currently I am using a "clutchit" mount and I hide a metal plate on the bottom of my case on the inside making sure it is flush by cutting out some of the soft inner felt on the case... View attachment 1433614

but now my entire setup is ruined and I can't figure out how to mount the damn iphone without going insane... so if anyone has any reasonable clues as to how to achieve it or directions to some accessories that can simply mount the iphone 12 magnetically in the car (without additional cables and charging) - Please Please Please share your wisdom!
I use this mount
for wireless charging for my 12.
I use a Carplay2Air dongle for wireless CarPlay. There is a thread in the HomePod, HomeKit, Carplay forum
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/carplay-adapter-to-convert-to-wireless-carplay.2193978/unread
about the wireless dongle. Some have problems with the dongle, but it has worked for me in a 2017 Accord Touring. You may want to check it out.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I printed and installed one of these. Seems to be fine. Holes didn’t line up. They seem to vary with each generation because I have 2 holders and neither has the same hole pattern.

Some sticky tape and seems fine ant only one screw. Will see how it holds with use. Magnet from MagSafe seems totally sufficient.

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
I printed and installed one of these. Seems to be fine. Holes didn’t line up. They seem to vary with each generation because I have 2 holders and neither has the same hole pattern.

Some sticky tape and seems fine ant only one screw. Will see how it holds with use. Magnet from MagSafe seems totally sufficient.

The link takes me to a page with lots of items on it, can you post a photo please.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Like this. I can try to get a photo of mine later.

8d36809b7561b3cf2340bdb34855ecc7.jpg

willdude

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2010
I'd be curious to see how a MagSafe car mount works with a thin non-MagSafe case, like from Peel or Bare. A car mount is the biggest thing I want MagSafe for, and I'm kinda putting case shopping on hold til I can figure that out. (Hopefully eventually some good 3rd party MagSafe cases come out, because I don't really like the Apple cases.)

Reactions: treimche

05071991R

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
Someone got the esr thing and wrote something in the comments in german here:

Translated with google:
I received my ESR HaloLock bracket today. It holds the cell phone very reliably (even when it is shaken strongly) and I am extremely satisfied. The side is almost flush with the iPhone 12 (6.1 ″) and the color goes well with the interior of the car. The LEDs on the side are only on when charging, otherwise they go out. Otherwise it is not so easy to remove the mobile phone at the level of the magnets, but if you grab it from below or above, it goes off without any problems. The charging animation on the product images is not correct, however, as no NFC chip is installed. It is the normal charging information, as with any standard Qi charger. The 7.5W make the org. 15W but hardly any difference. There are various videos on the net.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
That’s interesting to hear.
I can’t promise anything here, but it may be worth exchanging your MagSafe charger at Apple. Maybe there is a flaw with yours. For me, my MagSafe holds my device firmly (I should mention, I have an Apple silicone case; caseless may be different) even on rough roads. Even if I shake or knock the mount, I have zero issues. The only way I can dislodge is by applying force at the top or bottom, and pushing or pulling it.
I don’t have a MagSafe charger yet. But check out this video from Unbox Therapy. Their MagSafe puck comes off the phone with case, pretty easily.

Forward to 2 minutes 50 seconds.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
To follow up, here’s a few photos of my setup. Seems to be working very well. I haven’t driven over speed bumps at highway speeds but it sure seems stable. Magnets are strong. It breaks free easily when pulled but the force to make it come loose seems beyond what’s going to happen in the car.

One note: the larger platform of something like the belkin vent mount would be useful here. The round holder I printed for the MagSafe charger is barely larger than the charger. If it was squared and went a little higher up or down it would prevent more lateral movements that could cause the magnet to break free. I do not believe there will ever be enough force, barring collision, to have enough force to pull straight off.

I need to learn to make my own STLs heh.

e50a1f329201113256f34b695a1bf4f7.jpg
6325df4b10724e71d5afab1374651702.jpg

Sid6581

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2015
My HaloLock car mount arrived yesterday. It definitely holds the phone solidly enough and the mount sits nicely on the adjustable foot, but it has one big issue - there is nothing to keep the phone from rotating in the mount. I have the Apple clear case (which is VERY slippery) and the phone tends to "spin" on the mount while I'm driving. I think it would work a lot better with a silicone case. It needs something to create some friction between the phone and the mount.

Other than that, it works fairly well. I'm going to see about getting some thin rubberized tape or something to put on the mount. Hopefully that will help.

IMG_5819.jpg
IMG_5820.jpg
IMG_0792.JPG
IMG_0793.JPG

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
My HaloLock car mount arrived yesterday. It definitely holds the phone solidly enough and the mount sits nicely on the adjustable foot, but it has one big issue - there is nothing to keep the phone from rotating in the mount. I have the Apple clear case (which is VERY slippery) and the phone tends to "spin" in the mount when I'm driving. I think it would work a lot better with a silicone case. It needs something to create some friction between the phone and the mount.

Other than that, it works fairly well. I'm going to see about getting some thin rubberized tape or something to put on the mount. Hopefully that will help.

Perhaps that's the reason for the extra magnets outside the circle in the magsafe setup as you can see with the Belkin mount.

Sid6581

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2015
Perhaps that's the reason for the extra magnets outside the circle in the magsafe setup as you can see with the Belkin mount.
Yeah that was my thought as well. Just wouldn't help in landscape mode, on that mount anyway.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
My HaloLock car mount arrived yesterday. It definitely holds the phone solidly enough and the mount sits nicely on the adjustable foot, but it has one big issue - there is nothing to keep the phone from rotating in the mount. I have the Apple clear case (which is VERY slippery) and the phone tends to "spin" in the mount when I'm driving. I think it would work a lot better with a silicone case. It needs something to create some friction between the phone and the mount.

View attachment 1569764 View attachment 1569773 View attachment 1569765 View attachment 1569766
Nice, thanks for sharing! Just out of curiosity, as someone waiting for theirs, when did you order?

Sid6581

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2015
Nice, thanks for sharing! Just out of curiosity, as someone waiting for theirs, when did you order?
I ordered mine from Amazon on 10/25. Original delivery estimate was sometime in December, but they sent me an updated delivery estimate like a week after I ordered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.