Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Yes. I ordered my cousin a MacBook Pro for Christmas and had it sent to me first so I could wrap it. Somewhat ironically, it got lost in the mail. It was never found, and Apple sent me a replacement.

At this point, I honestly think the most likely explanation is that some random couple or whoever ordered them from a carrier and some employee or software along the way made a mistake and sent them to me.
It would be a good idea to freeze your credit with each reporting agency. Monitoring unusual behavior, in and of itself, is not enough in this situation. It is far better to protect yourself, than make blind assumptions.

Legally speaking, you can keep the merchandise. From a moral standpoint, you should return them because it is the right thing to do.

What if this is just a mistake on someone's part and ultimately, they will have to have money taken out of their check or worse, get fired, because you kept the watches? What if you were that person?

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
The only words of advice I can give you after all these responses is that there are hundreds of scams just like what you’ve described. You can google them and come up with example after example. I’ve spent 30+ years investigating financial crimes so it’s not my first rodeo. There are credit cards that can be obtained without running credit, and there are other ways to circumvent the credit notification process. If it makes you feel better to think this was just a huge coincidence, that’s fine, but just understand that my experience tells me there is some sort of scam behind this. I do not think you are a dishonest person or you would never have posted this here. However, I do believe you are a bit naive to think it is a mistake.
I appreciate the insight. Only time will tell what has happened. I will continue monitoring things and update the thread accordingly.
It would be a good idea to freeze your credit with each reporting agency. Monitoring unusual behavior, in and of itself, is not enough in this situation. It is far better to protect yourself, than make blind assumptions.

Legally speaking, you can keep the merchandise. From a moral standpoint, you should return them because it is the right thing to do.

What if this is just a mistake on someone's part and ultimately, they will have to have money taken out of their check or worse, fired, because you kept the watches? What if you were that person?
Yeah, that might be a good thing to do. Kind of exhausted right now but I will consider whether I should freeze my credit tomorrow. I'm going to keep monitoring everything.

Regarding the last paragraph, even assuming that 1. this was an employee mistake and 2. said employee could be identified by their employer, I don't think the employer would be too thrilled about this whether they got the watches back or not. I have already contacted Apple and I'd rather not conduct a full-blown investigation myself on my own time because of a situation I didn't even cause.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I’m surprised no one has suggested that these watches might be a gift from a gift giver that forgot to include a gift note. Or perhaps the seller failed to print it. The fact that there is no receipt or bill inside implies a gift. Usually you would always have a receipt or an invoice in a package containing an ordered watch.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I’m surprised no one has suggested that these watches might be a gift from a gift giver that forgot to include a gift note. Or perhaps the seller failed to print it. The fact that there is no receipt or bill inside implies a gift. Usually you would always have a receipt or an invoice in a package containing an ordered watch.

What a generous gift giver!

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
There's no such thing as a free lunch, and if something seems to good to be true....
I think I need to meet the same people you meet....

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m surprised no one has suggested that these watches might be a gift from a gift giver that forgot to include a gift note.

Possible? Yes. However, Highly unlikely in this situation, especially given the circumstances. *If* somebody sent these as a gift, undoubtedly someone would follow up with the OP to make sure they received them given the dollar amount.

Last edited:

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Possible? Yes. However, Highly unlikely in this situation, especially given the circumstances. *If* somebody sent these as a gift, undoubtedly someone would follow up with the OP to make sure they received them given the dollar amount.

Damn right! If I sent someone two watches as a gift I'd want the some sort of recognition at least lol

Reactions: YaBe

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Okay so because all 3 major credit bureaus are reporting no new inquiries, I think I'm going to go ahead and start using one when they arrive today. Still going to be monitoring things. It's about time I got more physically active. :)

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
Okay so because all 3 major credit bureaus are reporting no new inquiries, I think I'm going to go ahead and start using one when they arrive today. Still going to be monitoring things. It's about time I got more physically active. :)
Yep, in order to run away from creditors when they come :D.

EDIT:
Good luck!

P.S.
If you start receiving packages you never ordered to your name and address, the Identity Theft Resource Center recommends you:

1. Contact the retailer immediately.
  2. Change your passwords to your online accounts, just in case the scammer found your address from hacking into your account.
  3. If you start receiving a lot of shipments, contact the post office for help with holding packages until you can pick them up or figure out what’s going on.
  4. Research before you buy. Use a free software like Fakespot to ensure the products you’re purchasing aren’t rated highly due to brushing.
https://hip2save.com/2018/06/12/amazon-packages-beware-brushing-scam/
https://clark.com/scams-rip-offs/amazon-scam-brushing-warning-deliveries-you-didnt-order/
Just two examples with Amazon, but really hope everything goes well.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London

Even though they've confirmed no inquiries I'd still hold off, but you sound like you've made up your mind anyway.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Okay so because all 3 major credit bureaus are reporting no new inquiries, I think I'm going to go ahead and start using one when they arrive today.

Wait... both of these watches are arriving today? But yet, you said in the beginning of this thread, you had already _received_ both of them and you even identified they were cellular/GPS models based on the posts below, so which is it then? Seems kind of odd.

I just spontaneously received 2 Apple Watches (Series 4) in the mail.

There is no packing slip or any sort of information. Just the watches. They are both the GPS + Cellular models so that’s nice .

Reactions: YaBe

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Wait... both of these watches are arriving today? But yet, you said in the beginning of this thread, you had already _received_ both of them and you even identified they were cellular/GPS models based on the posts below, so which is it then? Seems kind of odd.
They went to my family at the address from which I just moved. My family mailed them to me and they arrive today.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London

I think he said they were delivered to an old address/family member? Perhaps they sent pictures of the labels?

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
i'd assume a gift from someone else, based on the shipping box you may be able to talk to apple or UPS/whoever to narrow down the order number and from there a lastname, last 4 digits of card used or something,

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
i'd assume a gift from someone else, based on the shipping box you may be able to talk to apple or UPS/whoever to narrow down the order number and from there a lastname, last 4 digits of card used or something,

It's not going to be a gift from somebody else, what is he going to do with two, wear them on both arms? lol

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I sense SCAM/FRAUD/IDENTITY THEFT here. The reason(s) being are as follows:

This situation has not occurred before whilst the OP was living at the previous address because if it had, the OP would already know what to do instead of coming in to a forum and asking lots of questions.

Since it has not happened before, does the OP not find it strange that within a few weeks of moving, suddenly he gets two expensive items delivered to his old address. So, based on this, surely if the item was a gift or delivery by mistake, would such a thing not have occurred whilst he was living at his previous address?

The fact it happened only when he moved should be setting off alarm bells as the situation he finds himself in is the method most favored by fraudsters, find out if someone is moving, create a false credit account in that persons name, make some expensive purchases then try to intercept the packages at the old address. No one would know a thing until the 1st repayment is missed and the credit company comes asking questions.

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Something I may not mentioned yet is that one has the sport band, while the other has the sport loop. If this was fraud, I'm not sure why thief would bother doing any sort of customization like that, but who knows.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Something I may not mentioned yet is that one has the sport band, while the other has the sport loop. If this was fraud, I'm not sure why thief would bother doing any sort of customization like that, but who knows.

This has never happened to you before and within a few weeks of moving, suddenly 2 expensive items of which you or your family have no knowledge of, are sent to your old address, and you think there is nothing wrong here???

Reactions: YaBe and artfossil

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I don’t think there’s any correlation here just because you received two different watches with bands, I mean, anyone can mix/match their order to try to conceal what their intentions were.

(I believe I already mentioned this, but another member had some iPads sent to their house, when it was a fraudulent situation, they were both different color iPads and storage models.)

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
A bit of a different tale but I ordered some new trainers from Nike which arrived yesterday and I noticed the shipping box seemed large and inside was 2 boxes one being a pair of Air Jordans I had not ordered along with my ordered shoes. The invoice did not note these extra shoes. I chose to return them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.