Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Yep. Once the cost of fraud out paces the the cost of new machines for the company the will have no choice but to switch.

The banks will make sure that happens. If the banks and VISA, MC etc... say there is a cost to not supporting it, retailers will cave so fast it'll make your head spin. I'm happy to keep my money in my pocket.

ethanwa79

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Right, like every store who doesn't invoke NFC is going to suddenly go out of business. That's hilarious. :cool:

They will have a lot of frustrated customers if they are the last to come aboard. It's like a place that only accepts cash.... sorry, but I don't shop at those places because I don't carry cash!

In a few years people will just not carry their credit cards. And when someone says "sorry we don't have NFC!" I'll say "sorry, I don't carry credit cards anymore!"

jtmarine73

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
Having been part of both Home Depot and Target breaches, I will not shop anywhere that doesn't take Apple Pay for significant purchases. I'm going back to checks and cash, I don't care how long it takes to write a check. Best Buy just doesn't want to upset Samsung.

RedBanana

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
These retailers will not have option. NFC is coming and they will have to adopt whether they like it or not.

I'm sure they do like it, it speeds up payment at the till after all. A large retailer with people queuing is more likely to upgrade compared to a small mom+pop store.

It also comes down to economics, the store has to pay for the system and they'll be waiting until the cost of new NFC units are attractive compared to replacing or maintaining current chip+pin units.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Lol spoken loike true apple fanism NFC payments were here years ago. All those 200k locations are set up for NFC and or google payments which now includes softcard/Isis.

Wow the ignorance of apple consumers is baffling.

Isis? LOL that kinda sucks, that group is kinda tarnishing that name, they should go after them and force them to change it:D.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
If I have the choice between 2 very similar businesses, I will opt for the one that uses :apple:Pay. Bring on the future, America. Get out of the plastic past!

:apple:

Out of interest, would the price of the product make a difference? In all honesty, if the Apple Pay retailer's price was a couple of pounds/dollars/euros more, would you still go there?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I think the first breach after the assumption of liability will change things. These companies see it as a cost right now not insurance. I know they can keep shifting the risk if they take pin and chip, however to furthere reduce risk I have to wonder if apple pay and soon gpay and PayPal pay will not be more attractive. The key here is right now apple pay locks down nfc so year one we are stuck with Apple pay but the fallowing years we can use PayPal pay and gpay. This is all thanks to for once Apple did not invent anything new they just put a pretty face on existing tech. So I think when we see Home Depot and Walmart take a huge fraud hit in a year or so and I we will they will change there tune. This is all a cost issue for companies. There was no incentive to be hyper vigilant other than optics your company bore zero risk from breaks in security.
Yeah locking down NFC is not an innovation. :rolleyes:

Jason83

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
PA, USA
Lol spoken loike true apple fanism NFC payments were here years ago. All those 200k locations are set up for NFC and or google payments which now includes softcard/Isis.

Wow the ignorance of apple consumers is baffling.
Wth why are you here?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
"I don't want to shop where Android users shop anyway. Filthy people."

Don't make this political, especially with such incorrect broad strokes as you are painting....

i am just speaking from experience visiting relatives in "upper class" Vermont ^^ could have been said by them

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Having been part of both Home Depot and Target breaches, I will not shop anywhere that doesn't take Apple Pay for significant purchases. I'm going back to checks and cash, I don't care how long it takes to write a check. Best Buy just doesn't want to upset Samsung.

Yea, even though Best Buy has a separate section for Apple.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I'm sure they do like it, it speeds up payment at the till after all. A large retailer with people queuing is more likely to upgrade compared to a small mom+pop store.

It also comes down to economics, the store has to pay for the system and they'll be waiting until the cost of new NFC units are attractive compared to replacing or maintaining current chip+pin units.

Or they could just do the payments with their iPad and keep it moving like many mom and pops here in NYC.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
Merchants either choose to support NFC or not. They don't have to choose between :apple:Pay and something else.
I think all :apple:Pay articles should include a notice that say something like this quote every time to avoid the same misinformation in every forum discussion. It's not about these merchants "signing up to allow :apple:Pay, they just need to be equipped to accept NFC. Merchants on the no-list will begin to appear behind the times, simply because it will become safe to assume they are using old POS hardware.

I wonder if some merchants are saying that they don't support :apple:Pay because they are looking to strike up deals with other payment solutions to say they officially support a competitor... while actually supporting all NFC.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
When you have companies like Chase, Bank of America, Barclays, and other major banks supporting the technology, the retailers will come into the fold quickly.

Users are going to demand it. Cashiers are going to be complaining to their middle-manager store bosses all of the time about how every other customer is asking about Apple Pay to pay, and they just have to constantly say "no". Word will get to the top of the chain quickly that customers want this.

If you don't listen to your customers.... well.... good luck.

You are absolutely correct but in case of apple pay its not a question of if supported its when. Remember the number of apple iPhone 6 users is nothing compared to non apple I iPhone 6 users and apple iphopne market share is small. Android has NFC support and with sofcard/Isis nothing has changed its been so slow for retailers to adopt it. I have been using my google wallet tap to pay for a while and also softcxard at jamba juice and that's it.

Just like restaurants back long ago who doesn't take credit cards even only cash! Eventually people stopped going and they understood and accepted credit cards or else they lose customers. This isn't easy to accept because when you are dealing with payments and transactions fees most retailers want some sort of incentive. So its not question of if NFC payments are going mainstream its more of when and that answer is going to be in the years out maybe 4-5 years. Like I said most of these accepted apple pay places should start at gas pumps, 7 11 markets and grocery stores.

ethanwa79

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Well everyone here seems to hop on NFC bandwagon all of a sudden especially when hypocrite apple execs claim NFC was lame and refused to even acknowledge its existence. Most of you have no experience softcard/isis when most of us have been using that and or google wallet for a while now. Even with those options you are limited to these stores mentioned here in thee article. Sure get couple kof jamba juice drinks and pay over 9 bucks!

Where these NFC payments should be accepted at are gas station pumps,7-11, mom and pop groceries, and supermarket self checkouts.

Having it at these toysrus stores, macy, , and other sikmiolar big chain stores means nothing

Look at the 200k locations they are either majority of coca cola vending machines or McDonalds, lol

Hate to break it to you, but the world pays a lot more attention to Apple products than they do others. When Apple does something, companies pay attention. So watch for this to balloon up, because Apple jumped in. WHO CARES what they said in the past.... in the past they weren't ready.

And comparing NFC to Apple Pay is NOT the same thing. Sure it uses NFC tech, but Apple Pay uses your fingerprint for identification and a secure on-device chip for storage and tokenization.

Retailers are much more likely to jump on NFC if they feel like they have a more secure method of payment, i.e. Apple Pay.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
They will have a lot of frustrated customers if they are the last to come aboard. It's like a place that only accepts cash.... sorry, but I don't shop at those places because I don't carry cash!

In a few years people will just not carry their credit cards. And when someone says "sorry we don't have NFC!" I'll say "sorry, I don't carry credit cards anymore!"

Leave the goods sitting there at the cash register for the cashier to put back and bop off....

Cactii

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2005
Los Angeles
This sounds to me that most of them are not setup to accept Mobile Payments... Period! So, in a away it doesn't just affect Apple but other NFC enabled telephones as well.

I would say great spin by the media.:rolleyes:

magicvash

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
Seattle, WA
Does anyone still shop at Best Buy, Sears, or Kmart anymore?

Amazon prime means everything at those stores gets to my doorstep in 2 days' time.

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah, the world doesn't quite work like that.

Apple does not dictate how people make purchases and how people spend their money. People will continue to use plastic and stores will continue to accept plastic for many many years.

NFC will slowly start coming into play, but it isn't even close to being a primary payment method at this point. While some major companies are on board, plenty more smaller companies and Mom and Pop stores won't.

Imagine, if you will, you're taking a vacation somewhere outside of a major city. You only have your iPhone with you and no plastic, because you don't want to do business anywhere you can't use your iPhone for purchases.

You run out of gas. The only gas station near you still accepts plastic.

You're going to feel mighty silly trying to pay for gas using your iPhone.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Hate to break it to you, but the world pays a lot more attention to Apple products than they do others. When Apple does something, companies pay attention. So watch for this to balloon up, because Apple jumped in. WHO CARES what they said in the past.... in the past they weren't ready.

And comparing NFC to Apple Pay is NOT the same thing. Sure it uses NFC tech, but Apple Pay uses your fingerprint for identification and a secure on-device chip for storage and tokenization.

Retailers are much more likely to jump on NFC if they feel like they have a more secure method of payment, i.e. Apple Pay.
Thank you. :D

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
*shrug* Given that I patronize business that are cash only, I'm not sure how this changes things. And eh.... "Apple is counting on regulatory changes"... Still sounds liking hedging.

No offense, it's your life style after all. But it's not so much that I personally don't like cash, but doesn't that mean you have to run to ATM all the time? Or do you just carry around couple hundreds with you at all time?

Doesn't that also mean if you are going out for a family dinner or anything, you'd have to first estimate how much you might have to pay then go to ATM, and say if you decided to order a few more dishes or having to buy something on the way home you are out of luck or have to look for ATM again?

(I'm assuming when you said cash you really mean cash and not debit card)

SirLance99

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011
So Apple Pay is simply an NFC payment, so any NFC capable merchant can take Apple Pay? Or they still have to opt in?

I'm wondering if these merchants are simply saying "we're not going to accept NFC payments" or "we're specifically avoiding Apple Pay"

It's all or nothing. You accept NFC and take all companies like Apple Pay and Google Wallet or you don't accept NFC at all.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Realize that there are potentially two really good reasons to not support ApplePay or not be on yet.

1. They sttill want to continue harvasting data from and tracking their customers, security be damned.

2. Contractually locked into agreeements with a payment processor who doesnt support or doesnt want(see 1) ApplePay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.