Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
Nobody will have a system called Apple Pay. It'll be a NFC POS terminal that accepts Apple Pay and all the others like Google Wallet.

Now, there might be a Apple Pay logo along side with some of the Google Wallet logos I already see.

Apple pay works just like google wallet and softcard/Isis wherever u see this logo:

contactless-lead-1355413251.jpg

----------

This is nothing new. Retailers are hesitant to add Bitcoin support. Apple is experiencing the same.

Bitcoin is terrible.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Most Android phones are already capable of NFC and have been for years now.

It's Apple who is just jumping on board. People with Android phones have been able to make purchases via NFC for a long time.

Jumping on board with a proprietary system rather than just NFC.

ethanwa79

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Be careful you don't wake up from your dream too quickly, it will be a big shock to your system.

Apple does not rule the world. And they certainly don't rule other companies.

If you think smaller businesses and Mom and Pop shops will suddenly invoke NFC just because Apple is finally adding a chip into their new iPhone's, you're in for a rude awakening.

My comment had nothing to do with Apple. It was a generic statement about how the world can change quickly.... and often there is a tipping point which gets the ball rolling (in my opinion, that will be Apple Pay from a payments perspective).

Look at how the world has changed every 5 years starting since 1980. Even looking back to the early 1900's.... from electricity, to cars, to airplanes, to whatever. Sometimes 5-10 years can make a world of difference.

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
You forgot to mention that Apple's implementation is far easier and more secure than any other that's been created before though.

Google's method of using a virtual debit card for NFC purchases is very secure as it completely hides a customer's financial information from hackers.

Apple's method is a bit more secure as it uses one-time uses tokens, but Google's method is very secure in its own right as well.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
McDonald's owns Chipotle. How can Chipotle not be on board?

McDonalds hasn't owned Chipotle for many years now. They spun it off in 2006.

________

This story is much ado about nothing. Retailers are shy about spending money if there isn't anything in it for them. If Apple Pay/NFC takes off or if there are further security breaches to their own POS systems they'll be running to it quicker than a dog to chicken at dinner time. No one expects Apple Pay to be a monster hit at launch because NFC so far has failed in the U.S. because few understand it as well as swipe to pay.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Get real the govt isn't going to make every retailer sign on with apple pay. Some sort of sim chipped credit card terminal readers yes but not apple pay. What you fail to understand is there is no incentive to use these technologies especially when its faster to use my credit card swipe. Remember back then when you couldn't even use a credit cxard to pay for gas at the pump but instead had to go inside to a clerk? Perhaps you apple hipsters are too young to recall but that took ages to finally gain widespread acceptance.

Apples pay system will take at least 5 years to become widespread enough.

Places that are going to be replacing their POS machines to accept the chipped credit cards will likely be getting modules that have NFC capabilities in them. And just like that, they accept Apple Pay.

When replacing their module to one that accepts chipped cards, is it required that they get an NFC equipped machine? No, of course not. But the thought is that these places will, unless it is in their specific interest to not accept NFC (such as Costco, or BestBuy, which have alternate payment methods they want you to use).

We'll see how it plays out. But it's not like a place can accept NFC, yet not accept Apple Pay. It's all or nothing when it comes to NFC payments.

macslayer118

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Dallas, TX
Confused:

The Best Buy where I bought my 6 case had NFC terminals. They can't deny the use of my iPhone's NFC... It's just like having a chip in the actual card. Right??

I'm confused why they are saying "no" to :apple: Pay

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
As we've covered ITT, swipe-and-sign is what will drive up the retailers' prices, not NFC.

Erm... what?

What is ITT? And I wasn't asking about what would increase the price, I was asking if price would affect that person's staunch insistence on supporting Apple Pay.

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
My comment had nothing to do with Apple. It was a generic statement about how the world can change quickly.... and often there is a tipping point which gets the ball rolling (in my opinion, that will be Apple Pay from a payments perspective).

Look at how the world has changed every 5 years starting since 1980.

And yet there are still cash-only store,s and Mom and Pop stores that only support Mastercard and Visa.

NFC won't start becoming commonplace for at least 4-5 years down the line, and even then, it won't be supported nearly everywhere.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
Confused:

The Best Buy where I bought my 6 case had NFC terminals. They can't deny the use of my iPhone's NFC... It's just like having a chip in the actual card. Right??

Best buy contactless pay terminals do not work at all. I've tried inthe past with Google wallet and soft card/Isis None will work in fact manager says none ofthe termkjnals ever worked

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
So in short, as long as the store has one of those side way wifi (NFC) symbol it will most certainly work with the NFC payment using the iPhone? (let's avoid the Apple Pay wording here, because I think we are all getting confused)

Yes, as long as the store accepts payments with the NFC symbol, it will 100% work with your iPhone.

And this is partly the genius of it. It uses hardware that already exists out there, nothing new required. Heck, stores may even get confused at first and not even realize they accept Apple Pay since they never officially signed up. :p

RedBanana

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
I think there's some misinformation being spread. :apple:Pay is NFC payments combined with strong security built into the device holding the payment credentials. This replaces the less-secure plastic cards and the need to enter a PIN. That's it.

Merchants either choose to support NFC or not. They don't have to choose between :apple:Pay and something else.

Oh I get it. It is just standard payment systems at the tills. The misinformation seems to be everyone including MacRumors calling it "Apple Pay" when in-fact it is a standard "Contactless Payment System" (NFC based).

Retailers aren't "Hesitant About Offering Support for Apple Pay", they are Hesitant About Offering Support for NFC Contactless Payments.

NFC is coming, you should all ask your banks for debit and credit cards with NFC chips on (as we have here in Canada), then start asking your stores to support it.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I don't trust apple pay.

Apples software releases and updates have been terrible in recent years. Maps, FCX, ios8, iWork, MobileMe... Even iCloud fails on a regular basis. Plus iPhones have the worst battery life.

I just don't want to give apple control over my access to my money. With the recent iCloud security issues, they haven't earned my trust.

If I'm still carrying cards around as a 'backup' then apple pay is useless. It just adds more steps to the process of making a payment.

But that's just me.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
It's expensive, but every retailer will have to upgrade their POS hardware before Oct of next year anyway to ensure they are in compliance with chip card standards. So it's not a really long road.

Not upgrading opens retailers up to a lot of liability.

You do not have to upgrade the entire POS. You need an NFC enabled card reader. The till you have doesn't matter.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Confused:

I know, this part is confusing me as well. I think using of the term "Apple Pay" is generating a lot of the confusion. I was at Sports Authority just the other day, and I also saw the NFC symbol.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
Oh forgot subway restaurants nationwide accepts Isis/softcard NFC mobile payments.

Whenever you see this logo it will work for NFC contactless payincluding apple pay
contactless-lead-1355413251.jpg

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

It's Apple who is just jumping on board. People with Android phones have been able to make purchases via NFC for a long time.

Not in the US because of security concerns. NFC alone isn't the solution. Otherwise Europeans wouldn't have limited it to transactions of $20 or less.

lkwan

macrumors member
May 3, 2007
haha

american express has been around forever and isnt accepted everywhere. what makes apple think it can come in and do an exponentially better job?

" We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone," Colligan said. "PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in. "

- Ed Colligan - 11/21/2006

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin

True, but non Apple NFC is able to collect and use your private information, like who you are, what you bought, when you bought it, how much you paid for each item, etc., and sell that info to advertisers.

No thanks!

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Proproietary for apple only other than paying with NFC apple basically gimped the entire NFC capabilities.

Until they test it out. It's just like touchID. It wasn't available to everyone at first but now developers can use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.