Mass Production of iPad 7 Said to Begin This Month, Followed by 16-Inch MacBook Pro in Fourth Quarter

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 9, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Mass production of a new iPad will begin in July, followed by mass production of a new 16-inch MacBook Pro in the fourth quarter of this year, according to a supply chain report from Taiwan's Economic Daily News today.

[​IMG]

The report, relayed by Japanese blog Mac Otakara, claims that Taiwanese manufacturer Radiant Opto-Electronics will be the exclusive backlight module supplier for both the new iPad and the 16-inch MacBook Pro. No further details were provided.

The new iPad likely refers to the rumored 10.2-inch model that is expected to succeed the low-cost 9.7-inch iPad. Apple introduced the low-cost iPad in March 2017, and refreshed it in March 2018, but March 2019 came and went without an update as Apple instead launched the 10.5-inch iPad Air and a new iPad mini.

The source of the 10.2-inch iPad rumor, CoinX, has an accurate track record. The mystery account previously tweeted the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR names of the 2018 iPhones before anyone else, and was also accurate about the 10.5-inch iPad Air, the 2018 iPad Pro being 5.9mm thick, and more.

If mass production of the new iPad begins this month, a release is likely on the horizon, but it is unclear if it will be a summer or fall product.

16-inch MacBook Pro rumors began with well-known analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Back in February, he said the notebook would launch at some point in 2019 with an "all-new design." Last month, IHS Markit analyst Jeff Lin said the notebook will launch in September and have a display resolution of 3,072×1,920 pixels.

Article Link: Mass Production of iPad 7 Said to Begin This Month, Followed by 16-Inch MacBook Pro in Fourth Quarter

2. Bustycat macrumors regular

Bustycat

3. Adam Warlock macrumors regular

Adam Warlock

10.2"? How many g-d different sizes is Apple going to **** out? 12.9, 10.5, 9.7, 7.9 and now 10.2. Why not add 11.65 and 12.376 and 8.9999451 while they're at it?

4. DrJohnnyN, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2019

DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

The 16” Pro will be my next Mac. Can’t wait.

5. CrazyForCashews macrumors 6502

The 16" MacBook Pro won't be worth it unless it has the new scissor keyboard.

6. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Runs to the bank to see how far I can stretch my mortgage for a new MBP :D I expect insane Canadian price increases, again.

7. PowerMacBook macrumors member

PowerMacBook

Will it finally be better than my MacBook Pro Retina mid 2012?

8. chineseguy38 macrumors regular

That's why Jony Ive is leaving. Tim Apple is throwing all the rubbish out to get money for his share price. LOL

9. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

They’ll just keep shaving the bezels down as cost allows, and advertising will show another size to tell you you’re getting more display for the $. If you’re this upset over discovering that a company’s display sizes don’t stay the same for all eternity, you’re going to want to have a seat before you find out what else has been going on in the world lately.

10. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

You missed 11"

11. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

Same here. It will replace my mid 2009 13inch MBP. My trusted MBP is on its last legs as the speakers start failing.

12. Adam Warlock macrumors regular

Adam Warlock

LOL! I'm not the least bit upset, just exasperated with Tim Apple's Pipeline of Wonders.

13. sparkso macrumors regular

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm pretty sure the price point for the 16" will be higher then the 15" I can't imagine this being affordable and rumors has apple going back to the scissor keyboard in 2020 for the MBP line

15. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

The recent Apple cycle:
    1. Be smart and spend 3 years saving up a ton of money for a new MacBook Pro so that by the time your current one is obsolete, you can afford a new one
    2. However, new MacBook Pro turns out to be terrible, with unusable keyboard, and the last good one is the one you already own and is obsolete
    3. Hold off on buying new MacBook Pro, wait for redesign
    4. Redesign costs more, you don't have enough money
    5. Save up for another year
    6. MacBook Pro price increases again, not enough money
    7. ...
    I don't know how regular people are affording the current one, let alone the probably even more expensive redesign. I mean Macs have always been more expensive than other brands, but regular not-so-well-off people like students and artists could still afford them. Now you'd have to be some kind of top 1% millionaire rich person to buy a Mac, especially if you factor in that you'll have to keep spending a lot of money on getting it repaired (which usually means replaced since these things are only designed to break, but not to be repaired).

I don't get why prices aren't going down. Tech is becoming more affordable over time, yet prices are going up. Why?

I just want a fast laptop that runs macOS. I don't need a touch bar, I don't need TouchID or FaceID, I don't need it to be super mega thin, and I sure as hell don't need it to have a dead keyboard. Keep the price reasonable and let normal people continue to use Macs.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple has already priced me out of the market :(

I opted for a Lenovo X1E, the configuration that I opted for cost me 2260 (with incentives) - 4k/32GB/1TB 3 year extended warranty, had I bought a MBP with that configuration it would have run me 4,600 dollars.

17. MacOH21 macrumors member

Can’t help but think a 16” MBP would be insanely expensive, like Mac Pro expensive.

18. Red Oak macrumors regular

You should consider moving to Windows. You can get a brand new, malware infested POS that will last you two frustrating years with no customer service for $399.

You can get a brand new MacBook Air for $1,200. Not sure why you think Mac is “1%”. Really should not take avg person 5 years to save for that

19. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

I wonder what Steve Jobs would think of what his Apple has become under Tim Cook.

20. Virinprew macrumors 6502a

I think the new MacBook Pro 16” will start at $2799 with 16 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD.

21. hajime macrumors 603

Unfortunately, we also need to beta test the new scissor keyboard for Apple and it will take months before we know if it is any better. At least it gives us some hope. Why Apple just doesn't use the pre-2015 keyboard that has already been proven to be working very well?

If the new keyboard is working fine, we still need to deal with issues related to that T2 chip.

22. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

That’ll be nice as long as the aesthetics of the machine are an improvement over the current lineup.

23. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

I'm pretty sure that I am on my last MB as outside US prices have exploded over the last 3 years while exchange rate has been fairly constant.

24. aneftp macrumors 601

$299 iPad 6th gen 128gb at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago will last my daughter at least 3 years or longer (A7 2016 processor)

iPads are commodities. Apple is just gonna to drive its own price lower and lower for 90% of the population that doesn’t want a pro model. . But people are gonna to keep them longer.

Honestly I think the iPad Air 3 is the best value right now. I got it $389 military discount no sales taxes. Great value.

25. Roscorito macrumors newbie

Roscorito

Don’t forget the Apple Pi(e) edition, 3.14159265359 inches